Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The illusion of online dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cardiology101
Msg: 384
The illusion of online datingPage 24 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
My parents had an arranged marriage. They only "dated" for a week before tying the knot. They have been together since 1978.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 385
The illusion of online dating
Posted: 9/5/2014 11:01:42 AM

The illusion of online dating for me is to find that supermodel with the heart of mother Teresa that makes more money than i do

See if she has an identical twin sister for me.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 386
Posted: 9/5/2014 12:03:04 PM
Why? That would be the evil twin.
 Boogy Knight
Msg: 387
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2014 5:21:25 PM
I agree with much of what OP said. All the decent to great looking girls are being chased by 95% of the guys, meanwhile these girls are only interested in the top 5% guys. Those top 5% guys end up dating handfuls of these women who probably end up thinking guys are jerks or players as a result. Meanwhile those of us guys not lucky enough to be in the top 5% get nowhere or have to settle for someone much less desirable on-line than we could find in real life.
 DragonBits
Msg: 388
Posted: 11/9/2014 9:30:17 AM

I agree with much of what OP said. All the decent to great looking girls are being chased by 95% of the guys, meanwhile these girls are only interested in the top 5% guys. Those top 5% guys end up dating handfuls of these women who probably end up thinking guys are jerks or players as a result.

I don't accept this as the truth.

BUT.

A large percentage of those top 5% of men will also be nice guys looking for a real relationship. It seems whenever any guy talks about the "top 5%" they will always say those guys are jerks and players.

Jerks and players come in all size and shapes, and the lower 5% can be jerks as well.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 389
Posted: 11/9/2014 10:40:08 AM

agree with much of what OP said. All the decent to great looking girls are being chased by 95% of the guys, meanwhile these girls are only interested in the top 5% guys. Those top 5% guys end up dating handfuls of these women who probably end up thinking guys are jerks or players as a result. Meanwhile those of us guys not lucky enough to be in the top 5% get nowhere or have to settle for someone much less desirable on-line than we could find in real life.

If you could find somebody in real life, you wouldn't still be here, looking for somebody inline, to share your lives, offline.

Stop whining. If somebody likes you for whom you are, why not give them a chance? Just because you don't get the attention you think you deserve from the top 5% of this alleged crowd you pursue, find somebody else.
 ArticLife
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2014 3:17:34 PM
Life is generally not very fair, and online dating can... reinforce this fact. Since everyone is instantly and easily visible, it's incredibly simple to be picky and judgmental without directly insulting someone. This opens up so many options for both sides of the table, it can be hard to choose.

That choice is good but also bad. It's very hard to decide what you want, and when you have so many options, it's even harder to settle on one person specifically. But it does happen. You just have to stand out a bit more. It doesn't necessarily have to be your physical appearance, though that sure does help.

In the end, you can't let it get you down. Keep trying, but don't be desperate about it no matter how long it takes to find someone.
 petula1908
Msg: 391
Posted: 11/9/2014 3:58:28 PM
Women don't get 200 emails a day, maybe at the beginning but it soon tapers off. Even 200 a week would be an exaggeration. Some people, who are not so tasty a dish, are deluded that they have a smorgasbord to choose from because of the internet. It is true the more cleavage you show the more requests you get, as a woman. It is a dating site for sex and romance, so why not?? As has been said before, those with it all going on, can get dates in real life and the hotties that are here, fakes or flakes largely, I would say.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 392
Posted: 4/7/2017 3:51:16 PM
Has the OP met somebody?

Inquiring minds gotta know...
 LucilleDixon
Msg: 393
Posted: 4/7/2017 8:44:09 PM
This post is garbage.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 394
Posted: 4/7/2017 9:28:42 PM
Do you believe dating is a form of illusion?
 Maleman999
Msg: 395
Posted: 4/8/2017 5:47:49 AM
"Do you believe dating is a form of illusion?"

Dating is a form of illusion if people feel that someone they date must be a perfect specimen that is totally perfect in every way, and will offer a perfect wedding and have a perfect life together forever. Anything other than that is a total failure and wasted time, when they could have been available to wait for that perfect human to show up at their doorstep instead.
 LexiInMDR
Msg: 396
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2017 12:18:55 PM
I just read a blog post by some woman in NYC who browsed one of the big online dating sites and saw a fake profile complete with a pic that someone stole right off of her blog!!!

Call me a monster, but I laughed for five solid minutes when I read that. It's exactly the reason why I don't even read my messages since I started going to meetups 2 years ago.
 Seki1949
Msg: 397
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2017 3:08:30 PM

It's exactly the reason why I don't even read my messages since I started going to meetups 2 years ago.

So that's why my message still says 'Unread'.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 398
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2017 1:28:45 AM

You just have to stand out a bit more. It doesn't necessarily have to be your physical appearance, though that sure does help.

It's pretty much the whole kitten-kaboodle. No, not pure/raw sexual attraction of 1-night-of-fun-thats-it. That's unfortunately assumed by others when it comes to saying Looks is #1 (which it is, by far). But looks is your fashion sense. How you project yourself, the "type" you are or demographic you Appear to be. Since it's online, looks is Very Much #1. People are going to assume your type & compatibility much on your pictures -- a very inexact science when doing it too much, but we instinctually do it anyway, at least a bit 'too much' -- especially when using our animalistic stereotype/pattern games (ie our 'gut') influenced/shaped from past experiences.

But given that, there's only so much many people can do. If one optimizes their pictures (and profile itself) to appeal to the demographics/types of gals they more ideally would like to draw in, and when playing the online-dating-game just fine aren't getting anything caught in their net -- basically, they're going for gals (or guys) out of their league.
 Braylen99
Msg: 399
Posted: 4/22/2018 1:24:53 PM
I see Scuttellaria gave up but Brian_Thorn is still here
 prettybrwneyedone
Msg: 400
Posted: 4/22/2018 4:36:20 PM

I met my ex at the grocery store. I said hello, we talked, went on a date, then became exclusive. It was easy and natural. Neither of us used online dating.

If we met online however, chances are we would have met for coffee, talked, and never talked to each other again.

I wholeheartedly agree 1000%. OLD is way more work versus meeting someone through the traditional means. I've had more success and more of a mutual attraction with someone that approached me in person than online. OLD is a task of going through reading, trying to be open to converse and getting to know the real person behind the representative.

Granted there are some of the same challenges met through traditionally meeting and dating someone, but you already can assess the chemistry, their personality, their sense of humor and if it's mutual - whereas online you still need to meet to assess what's really what.

I am finding it way more of a challenge with OLD, because I tend to encounter those that are either more into me than I am into them and/or it's just a one sided attraction. Otherwise, I think it'd be a lot easier for a lot of people and we all wouldn't keep coming back to the scene of the crime to try again. I'm starting back to put more energy in traditional, even though I despise the area that I'm in being that in a country town closer to a larger town that is high on sex hookups.
 Braylen99
Msg: 401
Posted: 4/23/2018 9:33:31 AM
^^^

Too much cleavage and you wonder why you get the wrong attention?

Soon you’ll be 40+, alone and clutching your pearls with your long list of requirements

Know what a THOT is??
 prettybrwneyedone
Msg: 402
Posted: 4/23/2018 9:44:35 AM

Too much cleavage and you wonder why you get the wrong attention?

Did I ask for your opinion on my profile photo? No the Fu&k I did NOT, therefore you and your opinion can kiss my ass.

How do you assume that I'm alone? Just because I'm online does not mean I don't have options, so again, you can take your assumptions, chew them up and choke on them.

I know you're a troll, but really you're damn near 60 and still haven't learned not to assume you're a know it all, especially when you're WRONG.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 403
Posted: 4/23/2018 10:11:48 AM
^^^you look like a lovely young lady, with lovely pics.
Apparently the rule on the forum is, if you have pics with cleavage that’s great.....but you CAN NOT moan about the quality of men messaging you.
Just letting you know....it’s the law, has been for years :)
 KPOL52
Msg: 404
Posted: 4/23/2018 10:23:43 AM
BAIT. Few people ever figure this one out.

Obviously.

The opinions and advice posted in the PR Forum - for at least the last 10 years - are evidence of this.
 hemingway234
Msg: 405
Posted: 4/23/2018 10:27:27 AM
Online dating is one of the number one ways people meet their lover.

It does not matter where you meet; all that matters is if attraction, sparks, and love happen.
 reverendswine
Msg: 406
Posted: 4/23/2018 12:28:20 PM
Damn, Pretty. That is the most profane post I've ever seen from you. I'm digging it.

Wow, and look, Braylen99 is the newest member of the picless profile tribe. Funny how there's been so many of them lately.
 prettybrwneyedone
Msg: 407
Posted: 4/23/2018 3:43:30 PM

Apparently the rule on the forum is, if you have pics with cleavage that’s great.....but you CAN NOT moan about the quality of men messaging you.
Just letting you know....it’s the law, has been for years :)

Thanks Roxy:) You're right, I totally forgot about that forum law. Lol
 prettybrwneyedone
Msg: 408
Posted: 4/23/2018 10:46:34 PM

Damn, Pretty. That is the most profane post I've ever seen from you. I'm digging it.

Wow, and look, Braylen99 is the newest member of the picless profile tribe. Funny how there's been so many of them lately.

ReverendSwine: My bad, I try to maintain some level of decorum, until the trolls try me. Lol.

I think you're right, the picless trolls come out in droves at times.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The illusion of online dating