Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > New Music ...., as in something really different !      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Beachippy
Msg: 51
view profile
History
New Music ...., as in something really different !Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I was watching abc2 last sunday morning, they play a lot of music shows then..

this one was a Jeff Healy concert with a bunch of musos playing jazz.. I'd heard him playing blues before, but this was something else... top shelf!

he's a blind guy , plays the guitar flat on his lap and rips the most amazing free style jazz lead breaks and chops.. played a trumpet.. played a piano..
so talented...
and they all looked like they were having so much fun..smile:
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 52
New Music ...., as in something really different !
Posted: 3/21/2009 2:43:03 AM
Jeeze..., I wish I could get ABC 2..., it's coming apparently..., just like broadband with speed..., yeah right !!

oh well....., time to go and get the chooks and cows in..., night all.
 Beachippy
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2009 3:44:08 AM
my abc2 is patchy and blocky at times...
but overall it's handy to have some extra programs.. a lot of music gigs without adds, the classic album series, jjj concerts,a good variety of other live shows.... or repeats of abc shows in a better time slot..
and in a quality picture when it's good...

the fastest line BB I can get is 512,, ... when I tried to get faster speed they reckon I was lucky to be even getting the speed I have.. too far from the exchange..
not fast enough for the I TV or any serious streaming video ..

pointless broadband really... though I get to use the home phone...
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/21/2009 7:37:40 PM
I have one word for you - PINK

Personally I don't devote myself to any band or musician. I do have a couple of favourites that I play in the car sometimes when I'm alone. However generally I love hearing anyone new and interesting..............love Avril Lavigne also.

BTW what is up with all these guys that just can't let go of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd...........if I meet one more guy (in my age group) that tells me either of those are his favourite band I will scream............LOL. They are neither NEW or DIFFERENT.

Okay I can see you all coming to bash me so I've just put my running shoes on.................ciao.
 julianx
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/10/2009 5:33:25 AM
Different? I think it depends on what you normally listen to, sometimes you can find something really different by listening to old music. I remember discovering the 60's band 'Captain Beefheart and his Magic band' a couple of years ago, amazing stuff and still very original even now.

If I want to find something new I head down to the Judith Wright Centre, they regularly have experimental musicians playing, sometimes it can be absolute crap, but other times I discover something interesting and original. Saw a guy a few weeks back who's musical instrument of choice was a fluorescent light...yep one of them things that most of us use to light our kitchen. He had it hooked up to numerous effects peddles, a huge stack of amplifiers and played it in conjunction with a contraption that was like a sophisticated theremin. He got some amazing sounds...and visuals out of it, and didn't need a lighting engineer to sync the flashing lights up to the beat of the music.
Saw a band called 'No Anchor' at the same place, just a bass player and a drummer great sound... and loud too, one of them bands that by law have to hand out ear plugs at the door.
 stephaniejc73
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/10/2009 6:39:49 AM
Have you ever seen a one man band, called 'That One Guy'? He has played at The Big Day Out and the Woodford Folk Festival. He has also invented his own instrument, utilising pick ups and synthesised sounds and stomp boxes, with loop pedals etc.. also incorporates a smoke machine and makes good use of his own voice in recorded loops. Has a song about butterfly bones.. You'd like his style, i'd say.

I've a friend that runs the fRET fEST, a collection of young singer songwriters, originally Pete Murray played his music at a few fRET fEST events before he was 'discovered'. There are some good young musicians coming out. and also, as they play at the Chalk hotel on a semi regular basis, you can get a wood fired pizza for $5.00 on a monday night. :)

I work at Boondal Ent Centre, so am a little priveleged when it comes to hearing live music. I really do love my work. :) I'll consider checking out the Judith Wright Centre though on your recommendation. When would be a good time to head in that direction. Or is it a simple matter of looking online.? probably.
 Huntingwulf
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 9:59:56 PM
New? Not sure what one would call new music. Everything seems to be just a variation on a prior theme

What's new to me is Nightwish and Opeth.
 MTramble
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/11/2009 7:06:08 AM
pfft only music that is hitting my g spot is coming out when ipod releases "good vibrations" in various colours and about 6in long...

...Hell Apple is everywhere these days, it could happen...

Meanwhile, I have a list around here somewhere I was going to splurge some of my $900 on, but then I received bills:

Metric
YEAH YEAH YEAHS
Vampire Weekend
Architecture in Helsinki
Hungry Kids of Hungary
Phoenix
The Basics
Royal Treatment Plant
The DoDos
Shady Lane (Jordy Lane)
Middle East
Bertie Blackman
Peter Bjorn and John
 ~Pedro Sanchez~
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/11/2009 7:32:07 AM
Just browsing through Lux Interior and Poison Ivy's favourites list....wow! Those guys have accumulated such a crazy collection...a couple which I am listening to just before bed time (on headphones and cranked to 11):

Think Twice (version X) - Jackie Wilson & Lavern Baker, recorded 1966. Woohoo! Awesome R & B. This is great stuff...check it out.

Don't Fvck Around with Love - The Blenders, recorded 1953. Old time rockabilly...my kinda sound. Damn grandpop's teddy boys swearing like boys in da hood.

And a bunch of Big Star stuff: Thirteen, September Gurls, etc. Yep, old is new again...that's me.
 greyingred
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2009 3:58:44 PM
music in my house is all over the centuries and loud. Daughter loves Infected Mushrooms...so do I.
 greynomad43
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/11/2009 4:29:24 PM

Infected Mushrooms...

I used to get called Mushroom when I was younger.
The girls reckoned I was a 'Fungi'to go out with.
Oh dear, think I'll go and put some new really different
music on and have a coffee.
 greyingred
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2009 5:52:16 PM
Infected Mushrooms is a doof doof, dance music bandy sorta thingy...hell to me it looks like a silver cd but music great for cleaning house to. I listen to classic fm in morning, helps to chill kids as well. Then we progress through the centuries so by the end of the day...alien music.

Pink rocks. So does Nina Simone and Veya Con Dios...now that is one helluva good voice.

Was listening to Madness singing Baggy trousers on TV this weekend...kids so impressed cos got the album out and played the lot. Kids converted.
 aphrodite000
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2009 9:16:07 PM
This is not new but for anyone into blues/ rock Dave Hole is the way to go. He hails from WA but tours mainly in the states where he is very popular, my fav album of his is The Plumber
 julianx
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/12/2009 5:17:46 AM

I've a friend that runs the fRET fEST, a collection of young singer songwriters, originally Pete Murray played his music at a few fRET fEST events before he was 'discovered'. There are some good young musicians coming out. and also, as they play at the Chalk hotel on a semi regular basis, you can get a wood fired pizza for $5.00 on a monday night. :)

Way to plug your friends gig

But seriously, I might have to have a look next Monday, will give me a excuse for starting work late on Tuesday.

Kids are always a good way to see what's happening in the music world, my youngest has just discovered 'Ween', and he tells me they are going to record another album this year, they're generally pretty innovative, so will be something to look out for.
 aphrodite000
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2009 4:37:34 PM
My 16 yr old Grandaughter has kindly put a compilation of her music in my car and I really like SOME of it but I don't know who they are and the radio never tells you any more. She says it's so she doesn't have to listen to my crap but whenever the family is jammin' she gets on her drums and knows every song.
 aphrodite000
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 11:38:32 PM
Check out "Band of horses" The funeral, wwwbandofhorses.com Nice and mellow.
 scuzzi_au
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2009 12:42:03 AM
Definitely Sara Blasco :- All I want

I can relate to this very well as part of my journey. A lassie off here told me about it.

http://www.myspace.com/sarahblasko sydney gurl apparently but wont hold that against her ;)
 aphrodite000
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2009 1:12:12 AM
Thank you I thought it was just me they were pissing off
 Huntingwulf
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2009 7:29:48 PM
Hmmm...Infected Mushrooms?

I think I had some of them in the 70s or was it the 80s.
 greyingred
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2009 11:24:54 PM

and if I need to cry the so-called "Elvira Madigan" from Mozart

Andrew Lloyd Webber is a hobbit, weird, definately slightly creepy sexual pervert aura and most of his music is hey ho....modern Gilbert and Sullivan...but his Pie Jesu is sublime and I want to laugh and cry all the way through it. The original version with a young Sarah Brightman is the best because it is simple and fresh. Have a laugh on youtube...view the first one on the list....beautiful...well the footage isn't but hers and the boy's voices!! Then go two down and view it after she has had more training and several years later. Her facial contortions are ludicrously funny and so incongruent with the beauty of her voice. Carreras has the same phycial problem...you can see him tightening his bum etc to enable him to reach the high notes. Pavarotti..too fat to see the techniques...but oh his voice.

If I could and had Agnes Balsa's superb voice, I would sing Mozart's Queen of the Night Aria from The Magic Flute whenever I am losing power and need it back. Agnes imho is the best of many recordings haphazardly researched over the years. Have no idea what the words really are...It's just so AMAZINGLY POWERFUL.

I also collect versions of Summertime...Gershwin in general is brilliant but this song thrives whichever genre it is put in. Think Janis Joplin wins this one hands down even over Nina, Ella, Billy and Kate Bush...wow....ok am seriously obssessed here.

I have decided to also put first dibs on Sting. He is mine...ok!!!???!!!
 ~Pedro Sanchez~
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/15/2009 12:20:06 AM
I am sorry...but I must say I am a Maria Calls fan...sacrilege! There ok, I said it...crucify me! Just like not wanting to acknowledge anything the most popular girl in school does...but I cannot help it, or my ears rather...she commands my attention and I bloody better give it...damn woman deserves it all. Callas in Le Nozze di Figaro, Butterfly, Tosca....

And stop dissing Dee Dee Ramone.

Here she is with Casta Diva:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBW5a77wINQ&feature=related
Fvck them all! Maria Callas, I defend your honor like I defend my mother's!
 greyingred
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:13:17 AM
ahhhh Maria Callas...you have redeemed yourself from being an animal menagerie lover.

Joan Sutherland sucks.

Maddy Prior....delicious folk singer. used to go to Kallies and see her live...better than sex that goosebump feeling.....goosebump engendering is what I crave...and sitting in the freezer just aint the same.
 Beachippy
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:42:49 AM
new music is just that... first CD material.... no matter who is releasing it...
anything else is old really....
my past musical history tells me the extraordinary albums are often the first release of bands... the one they put a lot of work into, their best songs at the time , their sound, to hit the market with...

there's not too many "new sounds".. musically... just new personalities, new interpreteurs...

rock on.. to whoever you find hot....
 dimeadozen
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/15/2009 5:45:24 AM
Brilliant acapella singing gives me that goosebump thing. Not so much on a recording but live. I've been to a few 'Idea of North' gigs and the sound is awesome. Their tone, pitch and timing are so perfect its amazing. They sing a lot of jazz/swing with a couple of arrangements done by James Morrison. The Bass singer also does vocal percussion so you're never actually conscious that there's no musical accompaniment.

Also went to a barbershop performance in Perth a while back where they had a former world champion quartet (with local groups to fill the program). I bought the CD but its not a patch on hearing them live because the 'lock and ring' isn't so audible.
 Faux Pa
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/15/2009 6:05:15 AM
Luluc . . a pretty new Melbourne duo . Folk/Indie.
Zoe Randell (the vocalist) has one of those absolutely haunting beautiful voices.

This last year has really seen their popularity really take off.

15/05/09 - Calgary Folk Festival have announced the 2009 line-up, with The Decemberists, Akron/Family, Gomez, Jolie Holland, Iron and Wine, Loreena McKennitt and Mirah. Luluc are in very good company.

They're probably best known for their track 'Little Suitcase'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLPHVTCOyQw&feature=related

But I also really like 'The Wealthiest Queen'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alI_bLknIqA
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > New Music ...., as in something really different !