Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TolsmaLMC
Msg: 41
Do Engilsh girls swoon over American accents?!Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
"Some of these people didn't seem to know that the Dollar wasn't used all over the world and that there wasn't a Wallmart in every town in every country."

Wow, that's amazing...are you sure they weren't just trying to be silly? Then again, there are some surprisingly uninformed people out there. Not just in the U.S.

I have a friend from London, and we were talking about history. He seems to not know much about anything. History, politics, etc.

I don't have a passport either. I was planning on maybe getting one soon. We need them to get into Canada now. Many Americans don't have passports since our country is so big and we're separated from Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia by vast oceans. I guess travelling from state to state for us would be like travelling from country to country in Europe.
 casandra67
Msg: 46
Do Engilsh girls swoon over American accents?!
Posted: 4/4/2008 8:37:45 AM
Australian here. I love the French Accent, can listen for eons. I do also like the Canadian and American accents.

Blueskies123:- Funny you should say that about your colleagues as it is a bit of a joke here how Americans dont know there is life after there coast. True story, while on holiday in America and meeting some locals who were fascinated by my accent I told where I was from and they had no idea where Australia was and then I said I was going to Canada and one said is that near Mexico hahahahaaha
 Mae B
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/4/2008 9:17:38 AM
I love accents.
I was just in vegas and the maid from wisconsin pegged us as canadian (ontario)from our "accent". I didn't think I had one.. but I guess so!
 TheLimey
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2008 10:38:05 AM
Around Mildenhall & Lakenheath AFB's they used to send buses around the villages to round up the local slappers to entertain the AF guys at the Galaxy Club...

Jeeze, what a den of depravity that place was....
 TheLimey
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2008 10:44:39 AM

The company I used to work for was worldwide and sales conferences would always go on in Tampa so all our UK salesmen would go over there once a year. Partners were welcomed on the trip too.
My colleagues would return and tell us bout the trip..one thing which seemed really wierd is that they would say some of the wives of their US counterparts were really unknowledgable about different cultures around the world.
Some of these people didn't seem to know that the Dollar wasn't used all over the world and that there wasn't a Wallmart in every town in every country.
They had never travelled abroad and had no passports (fair enough) but it was the lack of knowledge of a world outside the US which struck my colleagues as odd.

I've lived in the US for 18 years & the level of ignorance among Americans about the rest of the planet is absolutely staggering.
 TolsmaLMC
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/4/2008 2:28:00 PM
I actually agree that people in the States don't know as much as they should about the rest of the world. Even Canada which is just north of us...it's right there, but we never go.
 TolsmaLMC
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/4/2008 2:42:02 PM
simplelady66,

Sorry, I didn't mean to stereotype. There are alot of nice people here in New England. (I go to college in Vermont). I was thinking that maybe the people I perceive as "cold" aren't even really trying to be mean.

For example, in NY near Albany I was paying the toll on the Thru Way, and the employee told me the price, but I didn't quite hear him so I asked "how much did you say?" and he goes, "Just what I said, three dollars," in kind of an annoyed tone.
 TolsmaLMC
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/4/2008 2:47:03 PM
Does he have a southern accent?
 TheLimey
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 9:10:52 AM
Hey, didn't like... some 600,000 Americans die in a war to end slavery? That's more than both World Wars combined. And those wars were to... what? Free people... we've fought amongst ourselves even.

The US stayed with slavery longer than any other western nation..

& the death toll from WWII was the wrong side of 30 million..

Jeeze this thread is going down the crapper fast..

I actually agree that people in the States don't know as much as they should about the rest of the world. Even Canada which is just north of us...it's right there, but we never go.

Perfectly uderstandable, you might mistakenly end up in the French part...
 Emma Smith 86
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/5/2008 10:47:51 AM
I think some do yes. At least I have a few friends who really get turned on by a man with an accent. And I do have one Brit friend who loves a man with a North American accent. So there you go.
 TolsmaLMC
Msg: 91
Posted: 4/5/2008 6:07:38 PM
"WTF is an "American accent"? The US is is so large that there are several (about ten that I can think of off-hand) distinct regional accents. I am sure there are some I can't remember."

That's right. In the Northeast there are Boston accents, New York accents (I've been told that each of the 5 boroughs are a little different), Vermont accent, Maine accent, a number of Southern accents (Texas is different from Georgia or South Carolina I think). In the Midwest there are a number of accents too. I'm from southwestern Michigan and northern Indiana. The Chicago accent is disgtinct. In Upper Michigan, Wisconsin, the Dakotas, and I think part of Canada, they have Scandanavian influences in their accents. "Ya! You're from Minne-soota, eh?"

There are other Midwest accents. People from southern Indiana and southern Illinois sound almost like they have a southern drawl, but not quite. Missouri has it's own "twang", I think. President Harry S. Truman was from Missouri and talked with that twang.

Also I've noticed that people from Arizona, and even parts of Texas have accents that sound like they have Hispanic and Native American influences.

Arkansas, Kansas, and Nebraska have distinct accents too I think, although I don't know if they're distinct from eachother.

Ok, this was a very long post. lol sorry about that.
 night501
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2008 7:31:36 PM

Canadian accent???????? Is there such a thing????????

Yes, there is. Just take out all the abrasive tones in the "American" accent then add some education, class and humility.

thats interestiong i thought the canadian accent concisted of saying "ay" after every sentence and saying the word "about" like it was "a boot"

just kiding my friends from the north. i just couldnt help myself
 TolsmaLMC
Msg: 95
Posted: 4/5/2008 7:40:12 PM
I forgot about the Louisiana and Cajun accents. They are like southern accents with French influence.

I can see how California accents can be considered "neutral", however, I've been told that many people in the Midwest speak with a "neutral" accent. I've heard people with my accent from California, the Midwest, Canada and other parts of the country. Maybe because of television, radio, and modern transportation the accents are becoming blended and faded.

I've noticed that people in Florida are different than me in the way they pronounce the "a" sound in "cat" and "yeah".
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >