Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 techgirl27
Msg: 8
view profile
History
annoying dating advice that you've heardPage 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
My church is all married people and widows. We have about 3 people in our "singles" class, and while they may be technically single they're not interested in dating anyone and they are all way WAY older than me.

Been to the area/regional church singles functions too and I am always the youngest one there. I despise looking like a kid in a room full of grandparents.
 lie to me
Msg: 9
annoying dating advice that you've heard
Posted: 10/3/2007 2:53:20 PM
"You'll find what you're looking for once you stop looking" is a bunch of smelly crap, but - gotta admit it - it happened to me! lol

I personally hate "there's plenty of fish in the sea", and oh! How about this one: "I've got the PERFECT man for you!" Oh, I bet you don't!
 drewwlf
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/5/2007 10:17:39 AM

I always thought the expression was, "Women: Can't live with them, But they taste great in a white wine sauce..."

Don't forget the Fava Beans !!
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/6/2007 10:02:02 PM

Besides, when I DID STOP loking for the one, do you know what happened? Nobody came along.

Believe it or not... this tired cliche has ALWAYS panned out for me. When I was actively looking for a BF, I had little or NO luck. Anytime during the hunt.. if I got distracted by work, a friend's drama or a family drama... anything time-consuming, really... a prospect always appeared as if by magic.

Fairly creepsome, actually.. but it still worked in my case.

The worst advice I got was to stay in a relationship that I KNEW was not gonna work. I didn't listen, or course. I came to find out later that the people advising me to stay in the relationship, didn't even like the guy I was with. So it begs the question.. why'd they want me to stay with him!?
 gpwgyrene
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/8/2007 7:13:04 AM
How about the "your too old for me" line followed by "I'm sure there are lots of nice ladies out there!" which is usually followed by some 19 year old responding to the 40 and older get togethers with the line"Only 40 and oldr are allowed?" It really can make one get wild with rage over such blatant stupidity!
 liveyourlife
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2007 6:16:15 AM
This one was just told to me the other day (from a guy I dated...ya were still friends)..."Just go up to a guy in the bar and grab his ass....he'll thank you for it"....what!!

Guys...please tell me this doesn't work!!!

His other piece of advice..."You have big boobs so you'll have no problem"....seriously!! (theres has to be more to guys then this kind shallow thinking)
 obeythepug
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2007 5:49:07 PM
I hate the "you'll find one when you stop looking." That didn't work for me.

"You should look at church." I am sure church-going men are just waiting for agnostic girl like me.
 Ave Caesar
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/25/2007 12:24:27 PM
Make yourself available, but don't be obviously looking. Ask female friends to take you places where men can be 'run into'. Ask old boyfriends if they know anyone...there are lots of ways.
 Ave Caesar
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/25/2007 12:26:18 PM
bassgirl747 on 10/3/2007 12:08:26 AM wrote:

Well maybe I don't want mail from 45 year olds or 25 year olds!!

Why not? How closed-minded can you be?
 Ave Caesar
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/26/2007 12:40:20 PM

Annoying dating advice: "Just put down interests that you think they will like"

Ok.. but how long does b.s really last? ;)

Yes, how many people would respond positively to:

"I drown kittens and stomp on puppies. I have no job and no prospects. My sentence is up in six years, but I will have to remain on Thorazine for the foreseeable future",
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/3/2007 9:35:00 AM
"make yourself MORE available"

How does that work exactly? Shall I take out an ad in the paper?

"Hi... I'm Mariachi (see photo at left)
I live at..... blah blah and I am available most nights and most weekends. Call me."

Or should I just hang out at train and bus stations? Maybe shake it up a little and hit the airport once a week?

techgirl27
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2007 4:55:52 PM
the most annoying thing is "be yourself" because obviously that isnt working! Its obvious I need to change what I do or how I look in some way, but dont know what yet.

"Another piece of advice I got was to join a church. "There's good men there." I was told. Well I did, and I although I like the church a lot and made friends, there's NO available men there. They are all married or a lot older (like 70's-80's) or gay. Yeah, great advice."

I have this exact same issue. Been told the same thing, and the demographics are exactly the same at my church. No go.
 D_olnae
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2007 10:00:52 PM
Try an online dating site.
 Love_on_Fire
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2007 10:17:23 AM
Well I will be honest, it seems like atleast 70% of the "advice" you find on these forums given by people are really not from a sincere heart, or are insultful in some way or disresppectful, or they just are lying or saying things to either appear or sound nice or to get the person off their backs. It's frankly annoying after reading many of the so called advices that people say on here, it is tough when you suspect that they are not being true to what they are saying and that they are BS-ing

There are some people that give great advice and I encourage them to keep that up. But many people need to think about what they post before they actually do it.
 Who.Me
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/14/2007 11:26:44 AM
I hate the phrase

"There are plenty of fish in the sea"....

because there really isn't...at least not in my sea
 ShadowLands
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2008 12:28:58 PM
"You should join the church to find a nice girl."

No...all I'll find are a bunch of married twits and hypocritical jackasses. Besides, I'm not looking for a "nice girl"......I'm after one that knows the world isn't "nice" and can still have a good time.
 valentino again
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/14/2008 12:41:59 AM
lol.

absolutly right...
 valentino again
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/14/2008 12:43:28 AM

"Just be yourself."

lol.

absolutly right...
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/14/2008 1:04:26 AM
Golden rule for men: Never take dating advice from women. Period.
Explaining why would offend too many people.
 bowielover
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2008 3:39:35 AM
1. Talk about politics, religion, and your Storm Trooper fetish as soon as possible. Be HONEST!
2. If he opens the door for you...CONFRONT him. Insensitive jerk thinks you're helpless.
3. Wait 2 days, 4 hours, and 7 seconds before returning his phonecall. If you call him back before then you are totally desperate.
Just kidding:)
This is a great forum and I've enjoyed reading the posts OP! Thank you:)
 superdrew
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 7:29:30 PM
"Well why don't you go out with X? She's single."

... conveniently overlooking the fact that X weighs 500 kg, is a nicotine addict, is 10 thousand years old, has three heads, or some other disqualifying trait.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >