Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > The Urantia Book      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gregorywb
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The Urantia BookPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I started reading it last week, seems like a bunch of early 20th century intellectuals sat around and wrote down the best ideas they could come up with. It's not as bad as a lot of the people in this thread are making it out to be. I doubt most of them have even read more than 5 pages.
 oue
Msg: 26
The Urantia Book
Posted: 6/14/2008 3:27:16 PM
Hi, I read this book many years ago, and still find myself going back to it every so often , to see what it has to say about about various things, and how it jives with other channeled books.

Every so often I run across something in "todays world" that lends credance to something I have read in The Urantia. The last such thing was, when they were talking about the race of Blue People, and since there is no race of blue people today, it was somthing that I neither accepted or rejected. That is until a few years ago when I saw a man who was running for a political office say his skin turned blue from from drinking colloidal silver daily for a few years. So it did not seem a far streatch (for me, lol) from that to there once being a race of people who maybe lived around large deposits of silver and that their drinking water some how became infused with the silver. We are after all mostly water...
 tinydancer123
Msg: 27
The Urantia Book
Posted: 6/14/2008 5:38:31 PM
If you are interseted in a "version" of the following then the Urantia book may be a good read for you. I'll try if I may be so bold as to summarise some of the interesting topics and what I "think" the Urantia book says about it in a few words - of course I could be wrong but then read it for yourself - everyone should make up their own minds anyway right?

The origin of human life on earth (part evolution - part planned intervention)
Why we seem to be alone in this vast universe (we're so not alone)
Why we are "cut off" from contact with other worlds (quarantined actually)
The Lucifer Manifesto (mind bendingly seductive)
Is there everlstinging life (yes)
How do you get it (apparently it's all about choices)
Is it like the bible (on steroids)
Does it help to know the bible to understand it (the other way around)
Does Jesus suffer for our sins so we can be fogiven without consequence (not at all)
Why did Jesus come here then (to walk a mile in our shoes - to graduate)
Graduate for what job (the same one the bible talks about)
When our bodies die do our spirits live on (for some yes, for others their spirits died while they were alive)
Is this an easy book to read (no but the Jesus section is probably the easiest to start - especially if you are christian)
Can you flick through it and "get it". (I doubt it)
Does it have authors (read the index - I found it fascinating)

There's lots more in it but these are the topics I found most interesting. I came to the conclusion that it does not matter what you believe as long as you follow your conscience. The Urantia book calls this the Internal Adjuster. It's up to you whether you align with it or not. If you can't tell your conscience from all the other voices in and outside your head you are in trouble but it has been in your control all along - nobody elses - contrary to pop psychology. That's basically the message I got from it once I distilled it all down to something practical\useful.
 Crash1967
Msg: 28
The Urantia Book
Posted: 6/15/2008 2:05:26 AM
....i'm with kim on this. its amazing what was talked about in this book that was not even being discussed at the time it was written....
 _Icon_
Msg: 29
The Urantia Book
Posted: 6/15/2008 11:31:05 PM
I read it years ago, didn't get very far before I realized it was just a bunch of angel worship.

My 2 cents.
 4evr6y
Msg: 30
view profile
History
The Urantia Book
Posted: 11/15/2008 6:27:17 AM
no this book certainly isn't angle worship!

defanatly Father God worship!

not scientology
but scientificly and evolutionary conpatable....

giving hiarchial explanations to the Decending Sons of God[celestial beings]
and explaining where we [assending sons of God] go in our
destiny....to Paridise.
 *sass*
Msg: 31
The Urantia Book
Posted: 11/17/2008 9:23:59 PM
I keep hearing about this book lately, so I have added it to the ever growing list.. you can read it online here: http://mercy.urantia.org/papers/index.html
 4evr6y
Msg: 32
view profile
History
The Urantia Book
Posted: 5/6/2009 4:58:49 PM
Well it's been a while....has anyone read this most important book....or are you going to turn away from the 'Revelation'
 Boomshuka
Msg: 33
view profile
History
The Urantia Book
Posted: 8/1/2010 10:16:22 PM
I have read the book to many times to count. After about 8 years now of reading it, I am finally understanding it hahaha. That's how fu*#$#$ complicated and deep the book is. I really don't give a jack#%#$ if anyone else reads the book. The only reason I started reading the book was because the name of the book came to me in a dream. So I figured I should give it a chance, and for the 1st year I thought it was just intellectuall's sitting in a room writing fancy words, than I gave the book a 2nd and 3rd chance, and eventually I just started to get it.

I also had a dream of Philo years before reading the book, and that connection sort of solidified my interest. I don't expect people to read the book though with the same intensity I do, I love my freinds and family and could care less what they believe in.
 hepcat1958
Msg: 34
view profile
History
The Urantia Book
Posted: 10/7/2010 5:26:01 AM
For me it was a great revelation. I was apart of a fundamentalist church and really studied the Bible, memorized it even, and were told to sit down and shut up if something didnt make sense or offended our 20th century sense of right or wrong. So, a great many obstacles were taken away from my having a solid relationship with God when I found the UB. We know more now about the origins of the UB, but I believe the author of the book included some excellent continuity and healthy psychology to make reading the UB a more encouraging experience than any ancient book. Not a big social organization to go with it, no church.
 Priam_of_Pueblo
Msg: 35
The Urantia Book
Posted: 10/18/2017 8:23:20 PM
Actually kikimberly1973, there is a Urantia Book course In Miracles discussion Group that has been onging for more than three years on Facebook. There are several Beginner pages there you would be surprised how much reinforcement there is for support to help people persevere in reading. It is thick and hard to fully comprehend when you are doing it solo. So having seasoned reader companions whose explanation of the concepts is often helpful and necessary. It's all about Enhancing the planet's "Conceptual Poverty" of nearly everything. It synergies science, philosophy and religion as I have come to understand their description of Universe reality after 42 years of study.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > The Urantia Book