Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > How do you feel about IT?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scorpiomover
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How do you feel about IT?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I noticed a few profiles and posts that were negative about IT jobs. I've come across a few glazed faces IRL, too. I'm curious.
How do you feel about a man having a job in IT?
What feelings does it conjure up, when a man says that he has a job in IT?
Intelligent, or socially lacking?
Creative or boring?
Good job or not really successful?
All opinions and dating experiences welcome, from both sexes, of course.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How do you feel about IT?
Posted: 10/8/2007 10:38:52 PM
To FilmScorpio & jtw1974:
Guys, you had just me in fits of laughter. Your 2 posts were well worth this thread alone.

thatguy276
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2007 11:03:16 PM
How do I feel about IT? That clown was scary when I was a kid, but now I just kinda laugh at it.

jtw, I was given a rorshack test once in psych class. I know you're just supposed to glance at it and say what you saw, but have you ever actually looked at the pictures in them? The longer you look at it the more you see. What starts out as just a blotch of something that may appear remotely simular turns into a panarama of messed up stuff a person might see on a shroom trip or something. Look some up online and stair at them, the pictures actually change. It's kinda cool.
 thatguy276
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2007 11:12:30 PM

Hey, I'm a FWAE! I'm also an S and a P and an FH!

I'm a CO-II there may be a handfull of people in here that knows that means I'm a correctional officer-level 2 or Correctional Corporal.
Yeah I had to think for a minute what IT was, then I remebered our computer repair techs called themselves IT.
 One Flew Over
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/9/2007 4:58:30 AM
Hell, somebody has to do IT.
If you like it go for it.
 gtomustang
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/9/2007 5:18:35 AM
The first time I heard a commercial about an IT company, I wondered what it was, too, thought it was just part of a poorly-concieved slogan ("we get eye-tee done").

For something that considers itself "information", the fact it isn't obvious to people makes me wonder about it...and not IT. Complexity doesn't translate well. It reminds me of communications science back in college, using big long words to explain simple functions. Apparently those who study communications don't consider how to make it simple so it, you know, commmunicates well :)

anyway, rant done. What do I think about people in IT? Great if they know what they are doing. Not so impressive if they got into it b/c their high school guidance counselor said it was the hottest new thing--which I can say about any field, not just IT.

Jobs don't impress me, I'm not dating a coworker. If I'm dating, I'm dating after the clock is punched--what is my date like WITHOUT the job and its status?
 techgirl27
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2007 6:41:33 PM
I think its great!!! Bring it on!! Come on down!

Never boring, with the vast majority of IT jobs, its never the same day twice. A constant learning experience. It takes skills and perseverance to solve those problems sometimes. Socially lacking has nothing to do with it, thats the person, but it isnt always like that. Socially lacking can have more to do with unsociable hours. Good job (not really successfull can mean staying with help desk or security-platform jobs forever, why not aspire to the network team at your company? learn servers? etc) is really dependent on how your c0mpany treats your position.

To me it says he is at least smart enough to get and have a job in a decent field and know what to do, and he can fix my PC too! My ex is A+, MCSE and Cisco certified. I know b/c I paid for those exams! I always say the only thing he was any good at was computers.
 SueCat51
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2007 7:44:23 PM
I think IT and engineering are one of many great ways to make a living. At the end of the day, it isn't so much what we do for a living that makes us, it is how we perceive our work, and self worth is what makes us.

I know some very funny, witty, and charming men in IT. Those who know SAP, Oracle, Crystal Reports are making very good money, although some of those jobs are long hours.
 thatguy276
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2007 7:46:52 PM
Yeah, I'm with the others on the thrutch thing. Is that some kinda techy term for farting or something? Someone please explain the term "thrutch." (we SERIOUSELY need a confused emoticon)
 techgirl27
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2007 8:39:38 PM
For those that didn't know, it stands for "Information Technology".
 scorpiomover
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2007 5:16:49 AM
To nyteseeker in msg #47:
This thread also opened my eyes a bit, maybe i need to think of something more descriptive to tell people when they ask me what I do :)
Yeah. I used to say I was a programmer. Now I call myself a "program writer". After all, that's what they called Neo in The Matrix. How cool is that?

To aspiring_angel in msg #52:
At the end of the day, when his tie comes off, he's just a guy. Hopefully a horny guy with aspirations for his necktie, but that's the subject for a different forum. lol.
Always.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2007 3:31:43 PM

Now being an IT girl myself, I often get asked exactly what it is I do. Now, talk about a loaded question. Anways for those that don't want to get into a detailed description or don't want to completely bore the 'ish out of your "date", just give them the answer I always give. I'm a Professional Bullshitter. Pretty much sums up what we do and never really have to explain much after that!!!!
Good answer. It saves me coming up with a really creative explanation. Usually floors most women.

Now shall I date myself here and go back to the time when IT use to be call MIS. Anyone want to take a stab at that acronym????
Never gonna happen. You're too hot to be single for long.
 me.too
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/1/2007 5:49:52 AM
I knew that IT people worked with computers, but until today I didn't know what it was an acromyn for.

I wouldn't mind dating an IT person...I need a website completed for my business... any takers??? HA
 me.too
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/1/2007 5:53:45 AM

Now Sassy, are you sure you aren't the exception that proves the rule? I've met some DULL shrinks. Not that I've met a lot of them, of course I haven't, why would I, stop asking me so many questions, what are you writing down?!

TOO FUNNY!!!!!
 wingding75
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/1/2007 6:38:23 AM
IT job - translation boring guy/girl. Mostly they are people with poor leadership and personal skills. Although they do relate well amonst themselves they aren't exactly what you would call "COOL" people.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > How do you feel about IT?