Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > girlfriend hacks into boyfriends email account      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 candyman155
Msg: 1
view profile
History
girlfriend hacks into boyfriends email accountPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I would like to know what everybody thinks about this. After several months of dating, the girlfriend hacks into her boyfriends email. For 2 days he can't get any emails, because she is getting them and looking at all of his emails. She is looking to see if he is talking to any other women. He has always been faithful to her. I think she has insecurites.
 Carolina2
Msg: 2
view profile
History
girlfriend hacks into boyfriends email account
Posted: 10/13/2007 5:01:23 PM
insecurities ....you think.....and issues??? So... what is your question?? I have one....have you seen the red flags???
 lie to me
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/13/2007 7:03:19 PM
C'mon. Fess up. It was you, and you actually WERE cheating - not with just one, but 3 other girls.
 Sethfire
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2007 7:28:30 PM
if you cant trust the person why be with them is what I think......I wouldnt put up with it.
 Challenge
Msg: 5
Girlfriend hacks into boyfriends email account
Posted: 10/14/2007 7:00:33 AM
I would send an email to my own account advising her that the relationship is over.
 lie to me
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/21/2007 4:41:36 PM
I'm thinking, since she's still a gf, then she must have had a reason to suspect something. If she was just a nutjob, then he'd have dumped her as soon as it happened.

Either way. I hope they both get back on their meds.
 that sam i am
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/22/2007 4:14:01 AM
he has insecurities...specifically HIS email. Gawd!
 jlizzy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2007 2:13:10 AM
Robfish-Damn that you have to be all the way in OZ :( Boo hoo!! You seem like a great catch!! ;)

I agree that trust is vital in a relationship. Once the trust is gone you're left with very little. I also agree that whilst there shouldnt be any secrets we're entitled to our privacy. I think in a healthy relationship it shouldnt be a big deal if you're partner happens to be going through something for something they need to find but likewise you shouldn't be snopping through each other's stuff secretly or there's definate problems.

Having said that I have on two occasions busted my exes this way and inevitably the relationships broke down after that. I definately respect people's things unless I have reason to be suspicious. My last ex for example I lived in his appartment, I never to the day I left went through his things however he stupidly left the password and username on his email account, i accidently hit log in but from there decided to take a look as I had a number of reasons to be suspicious...low and behold....

So I'd recommend before people start jumping up and down about how to kick this girl to the curb..it depends on whether or not she had reason to. Even candyman if you've been faithful..how are you in the relationship to her? Do you show her that you care? Are you consistant in your words and actions? Do you guys makes sure to have enough quality time together? There's a lot of key questions to be asked....what drove her to this?
If she's just a plain untrusting psycho..then yeah fair enough..maybe time for a rethink..
 LeeAnne51
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/19/2008 2:26:58 PM
I think he should be sayin what do you think about a EX girlfriend who hacks into his mail.......insecurities like that can not be overcome, so dont waist energy and effort to try and change them.
 TxSippiGal
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2008 7:40:28 PM
OK I am so glad I found this thread because on the news they had the story about this college kid that hacked Sara Palin's yahoo account and told how he did it..

You know it would be relatively easy if you knew their yahoo sign in name.. and then some psycho you used to date or were dating could have access because they would know the answer to your security question.

What the kid did was.. Palin's security question was "where did I meet my husband" well the news reports tell where they met.. at Wasalla High school.. so the kid answered the question had the password emailed to him.. and that was that.

I use my mother's maiden name as my security question.. only my brother and immediate family would know the answer to that. But I got to thinking.. if my mother had passed away and there was an obituary online some where.. anyone could get my mother's maiden name.. and answer my security question. That won't happen since she passed away 27 years ago.. but it is I think worth us all going over our security questions to make sure they are not something that would come up in a relationship.. like where you were born, where you went to high school, etc.

I have nothing in my yahoo email that I would be embarassed by except spam and an occasional letter from family... but I would hate for someone to have access to it and harass people with it.. that would be my greatest concern.
 SteveinHP
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/19/2008 9:10:34 PM
heh, I would have just installed a self emailing keylogger.
 setuid
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2008 2:53:23 PM

its an evasion of privacy and should not be done unless you suspect he is cheating then all beats are off

It's invasion of privacy in every case, full-stop, even if you suspect he/she is cheating.

It's also federally illegal and prosecutable.
 bbauman
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2008 9:15:49 AM
kudos to her for know how to do such a thing... even if she is a total psycho..
 notjesus
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/22/2008 1:15:05 PM
I would say it depends on the hacking method.

Nerd girls are hot, hacker girls are awesome. I'll take em if you don't want em.
 fancynanci
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2008 3:25:36 PM
It happened to me. He put spyware on my computer and watched my every move. It took me awhile to realize it. I discovered that he just "knew too much". Needless to say, I don't see this man anymore.
 mcopado
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2008 4:42:13 PM
That would be the end of the relationship for me....

She wouldn't find anything, but in a loving, and mutual respectful relationship, the people still have a right to privacy...

Also in my case I actually do a lot of confidential counseling of people, often via email...I usually rapidly delete them, but if someone is intercepting my email and snooping, they are violating SOMEONE ELSES right to privacy.

I actually ended a relationship with a woman who admitted to looking at one of my private message boxes on a forum where I counselled people....I stupidly used here computer one night to check the messages since I was staying the night at her place, and I THOUGHT I cleared her history and cache, and even more stupidly I trusted her...but she managed to figure a way in...a couple nights later, when I was back at my place...SHe said she read the first 3 becasuse she had trust issues... She said she didn't find anything "anyway"

She told me that...and I walked out...

I wouldn't violate my partner's privacy, even if I suspected something...And I expect the same thing of my partner.

Privacy is Privacy...
 mcopado
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2008 5:05:42 PM
Sorry try again

Nah, I think you have to try again...5 minutes of google goes a long way...

According to The Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 it is a federal offense to hack a person's email account.

E-Mail has been the single biggest
area of misinformation about the new law. First, section 2701 does make it
a federal offense to read someone else's electronic mail. That would be
exceeding your authorization, since "private" e-mail systems do not intend
for anyone other than the sender or receiver to see that mail ...

What all this has said is that the federal criminal code now protects
electronic communications the way it previously protected written ones. It
understands that mailmen, physical or electronic, have access to the mail
they carry, so it tells them not to tell. It sets up some hefty penalties
for those who don't take privacy seriously enough. And finally, it sets up
procedures for the contents of bulletin board and other electronic systems
to be sought for official investigation.

There's a lot more to it than that...but that pretty much sets the tone...It is treated EXACTLY like the US mail now days.

Now whether or not someone wants to actually push the issue and prosecute is another matter....Just becasue you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean one of these days someone will push the issue in a domestic dispute...

and like they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse.
 paddycake1213
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2008 9:48:52 PM
"Perhaps your buddy needs 1) a new girlfriend 2) a good book on computer security. "

third--a good attorney
fourth--a bulldog D.A. or Prosecutor
 setuid
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2011 10:48:33 AM

He has always been faithful to her. I think she has insecurites.

I would say she also has a Felony charge about to hit her personal life.

Seriously though, I'm very up-front about my security when I meet any person. Nobody gets my keys, passwords, passphrases or anything of the sort.

If they want to ask questions, sit next to me and go through my email with me, I'm happy to do that and we'll talk about her concerns, but under no circumstances would I ever give someone my password to anything (that includes law enforcement or the government).

I rotate my passwords every 30 days, and have for 20 years. I've been granted privileged access to resources that I just don't "give away" lightly. Private/proprietary information about companies, individuals and other bits.

It's not theirs to look through, so they should not have the keys to go "snooping". I'll show her anything that she's concerned about (example: pointing out an email from another woman's name she does not recognize, saying "Who is that? Show me that one.."), and we can talk about it..

If a woman I'm with isn't ok with that, then she's not the right woman for me.
 Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2011 1:05:09 PM
That's over the top, indeed.

Personally, if I am involved with someone enough that we're either living together or have been together long enough, I will encourage them to look at whatever I say or do on the internet. I have nothing to hide.

I certainly don't appreciate if a partner feels the need to close a window to a webpage or IM when I come into the room. That hasn't happened to my knowledge, but I know some people do this for "privacy" reasons. All that does is raise my suspicions, and then we need to talk. I don't like sneaks.

You know, unless it's my birthday coming up, or something, but I should hope they'd be smart enough to keep that low-key if they were to try to surprise me with something.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > girlfriend hacks into boyfriends email account