Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dreamorganite
Msg: 454
Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?Page 19 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
Probably so......so stay single and enjoy the ride.....all alone......who loses.....said the alligator ??? Not I ..........
 smartazzjohn
Msg: 455
Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?
Posted: 3/21/2008 10:04:04 PM
What kind of a chance do us ugly, short, bald, toothless, broke morons have in none of you women are desperate to get married and support us?
 Smart-Blonde
Msg: 456
Posted: 3/21/2008 10:20:40 PM
1. Dang, Happy, I didn't realize we had another celebrity here in Phx...lol
By the way, that was one of my favorite movies of his.

2. A co-worker of mine is getting married. She is in her early 50's, so we were discussing marriage yesterday. I told her... I am not sure I want someone around 24/7 now that I am use to having my space and free time to do as I please. I told her I think I would just be happy with a forever long term relationship, but we each have our own living quarters. I have everything I want and need in life, so I don't need to married to have anything else to fulfill it. I am also one who knows never, to say "never" though, because you just don't know what will happen in the future. That is the time it comes back and bites you in the ass.
 EarthlingUSA
Msg: 457
Posted: 3/21/2008 11:13:14 PM
hmmm... maybe YOU are sending the wrong signals??? 2 out of 2 ?? Interesting.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 458
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2008 11:28:56 PM

What kind of a chance do us ugly, short, bald, toothless, broke morons have in none of you women are desperate to get married and support us?
Could have sworn that question was answered many pages back! LOL! what other talents do they offer John? Personally, I don't need a paycheck or a handyman....but I sure could use one who just loves to massage my neck and feet!
 MacKevinized
Msg: 459
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 3:17:53 AM

I sure could use one who just loves to massage my neck and feet!

$300/hour for the neck, $13,000.00/hour for the feet with a 2 hour minium + travel and lodging to the best hotel, room service for 2 (my GF will travel with me and keep time) + gratutities.
Guaranteed results (ask for some of my references).
Hours from noon till 7:00 PM
Ask for rates on other body parts and availability
 margarette
Msg: 460
Posted: 3/22/2008 4:21:30 AM
i thought the opposite was true...at least for me. men or women who are "desperate" (key word) to do anything have some issues to resolve first i would think.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 461
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 7:13:03 AM

$300/hour for the neck, $13,000.00/hour for the feet with a 2 hour minium + travel and lodging to the best hotel, room service for 2 (my GF will travel with me and keep time) + gratutities.
LOL! Ya see, perfect example of a man with dillusions of grandeur but yet not smart enough to do the marketing research. Reflexologist: $45- $60 an hour. LMT (trained in multiple techniques) $60-$75 an hour.

Proving the point that BOTH sexes have the uncanny ability to severely OVER estimate their value. Which reminds me of a joke: (if it's possible to follow anything as funny as the above post) Wife asks husband to fix the shorted out elecrical outlet; he says, do you see "Electrician" tatooed on my butt? Now, shut up, I'm watchin the game. Next day, wife asks husband to fix broken step on the front porch. He replies, "do I have "carpenter" tatooed on my forehead? Now, leave me alone, I'm watchin the fight. Later wife asks husband to fix leaky faucet on kitchen sink . Husband replies, "woman, do I look like a plumber to you?" "I'm tied of all this nagging, I'm going over to get my buddy and go fishing"! Husband comes back very late that night, gets up the next morning, wife has toaster plugged into that electrical outlet that hadn't been working. Somethings wrong! Ohhh, the sound of that dripping faucet is missing. He goes out on the front porch to get the paper....and n0tices that he doesn't trip on that step that had been broken! He comes back in...says to his wife, "hey, how'd you learn to do all this stuff?" Wife says, 'I didn't... right after you left to go fishing, this guy came around looking for odd jobs to do. I told him I didn't have any money, but he said that he'd also work for a cake or sex." "So", asks the husband....."what kind of cake did you bake him?" Wife rolls her eyes and replies...."Do you see Betty Crocker tatooed on my ass?"
 barra57
Msg: 462
Posted: 3/22/2008 1:30:25 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a cracker
 MissTique II
Msg: 463
Posted: 3/22/2008 3:45:03 PM
Here is some married humor... I see nobody will see eye to eye on this subject.. its all about different strokes for diferent folks and then some.. sooooo what is left??? that is right *Humor*

EnJoy!
Married Humor

Wife: 'What are you doing?'
Husband : Nothing.
Wife : 'Nothing...? You've been reading our marriage certificate for an hour.'
Husband : 'I was looking for the expiration date.'

Wife : 'Do you want dinner?'
Husband : 'Sure! What are my choices?'
Wife : 'Yes and no.'

Wife: 'You always carry my photo in your wallet. Why?'
Hubby: 'When there is a problem, no matter how impossible, I look at your picture and the problem disappears.'
Wife: 'You see how miraculous and powerful I am for you?'
Hubby: 'Yes! I see your picture and ask myself what other problem can there be greater than this one?'

Stress Reliever Girl: 'When we get married, I want to share all your worries, troubles and lighten your burden.'
Boy: 'It's very kind of you, darling, but I don't have any worries or troubles.'
Girl: 'Well that's because we aren't married yet.'

Son: 'Mom, when I was on the bus with Dad this morning, he told me to give up my seat to a lady.'
Mom: 'Well, you have done the right thing.'
Son: 'But mom, I was sitting on daddy's lap.'

A newly married man asked his wife, 'Would you have married me if my father hadn't left me a fortune?'
'Honey,' the woman replied sweetly, 'I'd have married you, no matter WHO left you a fortune.'

Father to son after exam: 'Let me see your report card.'
Son: 'My friend just borrowed it. He wants to scare his parents.'

Girl to her boyfriend: One kiss and I'll be yours forever.
The guy replies: 'Thanks for the early warning.'

A wife asked her husband: 'What do you like most in me, my pretty face or my sexy body?'
He looked at her from head to toe and replied: 'I like your sense of humor.'
Msg: 464
Posted: 3/22/2008 3:57:28 PM

LOL! Ya see, perfect example of a man with dillusions of grandeur but yet not smart enough to do the marketing research. Reflexologist: $45- $60 an hour. LMT (trained in multiple techniques) $60-$75 an hour.

Exactly, I can go to the spa for less and probably done by someone much more buff and handsome to boot and still have money left over for other luxuries.
 breath~
Msg: 465
Posted: 3/22/2008 4:19:41 PM
Desperate to get married?

I'm not desperate for anything in my life.

Well, *cough*cough*, there ARE times I may feel desperate to get to a toilet!
I think that's about it, as far as the "desperate" thing goes.
 Wottacatch™
Msg: 466
Posted: 3/23/2008 3:00:35 PM
Have you heard that Quebec is looking into a plan that would allow illegal immigrants to stay in the Province? The plan calls for a million Haitians to marry a million of our ugliest citizens.

Now, I don't want to get off on a huff here, but no matter how much it has changed, marriage is a vital cog in our societal machine. Dating's fine, living together is great, but anyone who's truly in love eventually looks at their partner and thinks, "I want to cut down on having sex with this person and get on their insurance plan."

Are marriages failing, or are people simply living longer and finding that they can't stay with the same person for that long? The answer is, marriages are failing. You know your marriage is in trouble when your wife starts wearing the wedding ring on her middle finger. Here in Montreal you can actually get a marriage license printed on an etch-a-sketch.

Until recently, television was notorious for romanticizing bachelor-hood, while making vague insinuations about the sexuality of the "unattached woman." Magnum, P.I., got more different ass than a rental car, while Laverne actually had an 'L' sewn onto her sweater.

Seems like every wedding nowadays has to be a "themed" wedding. There's period-costume weddings. Elvis weddings. Fairy Tale weddings. Weddings so unbelievably complicated and elaborate, the only way you can tell who's actually getting married is to find the couple that's having sex in the coatroom and ask them who they are the Best Man and Maid of Honor for.

If you want to truly understand how complex marriage has become, simply ask the people on the front lines: the ones who make up the wedding invitations. They are constantly trying to skirt around the gender, age and parental issues and still get paid. "Mona Johnson and her life partner Brianne invite you to the wedding of their son Lars and his lover Oswaldo. With the blessing of their surrogate daughter Quan, where they will be married by their Shaman, Ali Ben Shapiro, in Carlsbad Caverns on the eve of the Summer Solstice. To be followed by an all-Vegan Luau, featuring the music of two members of Kango. Dress: Casual Friday meets 80's disco. No furs. The couple is registered at Nordstrom and ZachOs House of Knobby Dildoes."

While straight couples have been breaking their vows for years, gay couples are still fighting to gain that right. In America Gay unions are now legal in a state like Vermont, but they are not having much luck in the south, where there are strict rules, which forbid getting married unless you are heterosexual, fourteen or "kin". Hey, folks, truth be told, gays have been getting married for a long, long time... Just not to each other.

I once went to a lesbian wedding ceremony between my wife's former hair stylist, a lovely thirty-year-old woman, and her partner, a very hot dental hygienist in her mid-twenties. The wedding itself was small and simple. The reception was warm and friendly. And from what I could see from my surveillance hammock in the branches of a tree high outside the third floor of the Laguna Beach Hilton, the wedding night was not nearly kinky enough.

Don’t you just hate it when people can’t take an Innuendo? I remember talking to one of my ex- wife's friends who was and as far as I’m aware still is a lesbian. Well one day I asked her did she ever wonder what it would be like to have children. She said it was the one thing she regretted about her sexual orientation, that she might never be a mother.

She's a good-looking lady, so I said slyly that if she ever wanted to be impregnated I'd be happy to help out, purely altruistically. She shot me a death ray look, and told me with a curling lip that if she ever decided to reproduce, it would be by artificial insemination. So quick as a flash I replied "No problem, if you want artificial, I'll tell you I love you."

Well back to the story, never ever discount the idea of marriage. Sure, someone might tell you that marriage is just a piece of paper. Well, so is money, and what's more life affirming than cold, hard cash?

The difficult thing about marriage for men is that they know they shouldn't get married unless they're mature, but they feel they can't become mature unless they get married. I'm not sure I know what the answer is, other than, I would caution you to not fu ck the stripper at your bachelor party.

But guys should never whine about marriage, because guys are no prize, especially when we get older. I was at the post office last week, and standing in front of me was some guy in his mid-seventies. He was wearing a powder blue polyester shirt more pilled than a nightstand at Graceland, and dusted with so much dandruff, I was torn between gagging and placing "Christmas Village" figurines on his shoulders. He was also wearing a nylon mesh ball cap with the phrase "Ask Me About My Prostate" on it and off-white slacks with a white belt and a large pee spot somehow near the knee. And you wanna know the most shocking part of his ensemble? He was wearing a wedding ring.

On leaving the post office he met up with his wife of 50 years so the elderly couple are enjoying an anniversary dinner together in a small tavern. The husband leans over and asks his wife, "Do you remember the first time we had sex together over fifty years ago? We went behind this tavern where you leaned against the fence and I made love to you."

"Yes," she says, "I remember it well."

"OK," he says, "How about taking a stroll 'round there again and we can do it for old time's sake." "Oooooooh Henry, you devil, that sounds like a good idea," she answers.
There's a police officer sitting in the next booth listening to all this, and having a chuckle to himself. He thinks, "I've got to see this...two old-timers having sex against a fence. I'll just keep an eye on them so there's no trouble."

So he follows them. They walk haltingly along, leaning on each other for support, aided by walking sticks.

Finally they get to the back of the tavern and make their way to the fence. The old lady lifts her skirt, takes her knickers down and the old man drops his trousers. She turns around and as she hangs on to the fence, the old man moves in.

Suddenly they erupt into the most furious sex that the watching policeman has ever seen. They are bucking and jumping like eighteen-year-olds. This goes on for about forty minutes! She's yelling, "Ohhhh, God!" He's hanging on to her hips for dear life. This is the most athletic sex imaginable.

Finally, they both collapse panting on the ground. The policeman is amazed. He thinks he has learned something about life that he didn't know. He starts to think about his own aged parents, and wonders whether they still have sex like this.

After about half and hour of lying on the ground recovering, the old couple struggle to their feet and put their clothes back on.

The policeman, still watching thinks, 'That was truly amazing, he was going like a train. I've got to ask him what his secret is.'

As the couple pass, he says to them "That was something else, you must have been having sex for about forty minutes. How do you manage it? You must have had a fantastic life together. Is there some sort of secret?"

"No, there's no secret," the old man says, "except that fifty years ago that damn fence wasn't electric."
 friendlyldy
Msg: 467
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2008 4:16:10 PM
Love the jokes on these threads.......... Thanks for sharing them.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 468
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2008 5:06:16 PM

Now, I don't want to get off on a huff here, but no matter how much it has changed, marriage is a vital cog in our societal machine. Dating's fine, living together is great, but anyone who's truly in love eventually looks at their partner and thinks, "I want to cut down on having sex with this person and get on their insurance plan."
There's 2 misconceptions. 1) I'm anti marriage because I don't want to cut down on the sex. 2) I have my own insurance plan, one of the best in the country...and it cost's me $10 a month....why would I have any interest in getting on theirs?

LOL! But I must tell you.....the weddings you described are enough to scare anyone off the topic of marriage!
 candylily765
Msg: 469
Posted: 3/23/2008 6:39:54 PM
I have absolutely nothing against marriage. I think anyone that wants to have kids should be married and should stay married unless there is abuse. Studies have shown kids do much better when they're raised in a two-parent home. I think where a lot of people messed up, me included is not being mature enough to choose the right partner to begin with. My parents were married for more than 50 until my dad died. My sister has been married for 20-some years and both my brothers are still with the mothers of their kids. My daughter has been married for 14 years now. None of the marriages have always been perfect, but if the main purpose is to raise well-adjusted happy kids, they're all highly successful and even though their marriages have hit some rough spots, they're still together and seem happy. I hope my son finds a great girl and he gets married and gives me a few more grandkids. I just can't think of a reason that I should marry again at my age. I've raised my kids. I'm not going to say I absolutely would never do it again, but it isn't a goal.
 The Sage
Msg: 470
Posted: 3/23/2008 9:50:25 PM
I've experienced the same thing. Yet if you listen to what the women say they tell you that 80% of them don't want to get married. Not so!

They want someone they feel comfortable with and for some reason they feel it is more secure having a man around that they can call their own. Today there are no assurances. It isn't like it was in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and part of the 70's when people got married and that was a sacrid relationship.

Furthermore, generally when women marry an older guy, they marry into a situation where the man is secure and financially independent. The women don't have to work any longer and can perhaps enjoy a higher standard of living.
 Phase-one
Msg: 471
Posted: 3/23/2008 10:38:43 PM
Most of my friends who are over 40 are not in any rush to re-marry. Nor am I for that matter. I've been with a wonderful man I met on here for 7 months now. Am I remotely ready for marriage again?? Not on your life!! Not at this point & time. I love this man with all my heart & soul. But what's the rush? Why complicate things? But who's to say down the road somewhere it may be the right thing to do.

Sounds like you're meeting the wrong kind of woman. Watch for signs of 'neediness' at the start!

Dee
 suzyttarius
Msg: 472
Posted: 3/24/2008 12:35:16 AM
I can't speak for these women, speaking for myself, I would rather got shot, stabbed, car jacked, and thrown off of a building before I would ever be soooooo stupid as to involve the ink and paper.

What does marraige have to do with love?

The only possibility I can think of, is that these women have never been married before, and think that they are missing something.
The divorce courts are busy people, and for a good reason.
 The Sage
Msg: 473
Posted: 3/24/2008 1:20:37 PM
suzyttarius:

The divorce courts are busy people, and for a good reason.

I agree. Marriage is old fashioned and cannot be severed easily, thus creating a lot of unnecessary upheaval and litigation. Divorces are nasty. I know...been there; did that.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 474
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2008 6:21:19 PM
Yeah, well....here's a great one!!!! In today's mail...I get a letter telling me that I have to get my ex to "sign off" on my pension.....AGAIN (this was covered in the divorce 5 years ago) or my pension amount will be decreased by 5% AUTOMATICALLY. Fidelity Mutual doesn't care what the county domestic relations court had to say I guess, so every 5 years I get "re-negotiate" with him for his notarized signature. My advise if you DO get married.....definitely get divorced before the 10 yr anniversary.
 candylily765
Msg: 475
Posted: 3/24/2008 6:33:28 PM
Well at least that's the one thing my husband couldn't cheat me out of as far as I know. He died last year and I will be able to draw his pension when he would have turned 60. I don't have one of my own because the union took the younger worker's pensions ( I was under 40 at the time) and gave them to the older workers. I got a total of $1500 for 20 years work.
 redarcangel
Msg: 476
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2008 10:55:35 AM
I got zip..zero..zilch..not even alimony for my 16 years of false-imprisonment! Not even alimony. I wasn't about to fight with him over it..simply because I never wanted to have to see his face again..not even court..not even for money. So..nope..I didn't even "get" any child support for "our" kids. I was much happier raising/supporting them all on my own. <~~to him!
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 477
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2008 12:30:21 PM

I got zip..zero..zilch..not even alimony for my 16 years of false-imprisonment! Not even alimony.
LOL! I got out after 20 yrs of imprisionment for the gross act of stupidity.....getting married in the first place! Unfortunately....the pension I'm talking about is MINE....always was MINE...it was not inherited or awarded to me....I had to work my ass off 70-90 hrs a week to get it. While I did just volunteer to pay "alimony" until he got a job, it was another 4 years before he got his own health insurance. Would have cost me close to $500 a month to carry him as a "sponsored dependent"... so I was just lucky that he didn't want the divorce in the first place so I was able to drag my feet about it for that long. My pension however was something that he agreed to "forfeit" in leiu of making him beneficiary of my smaller life insurance policy. Since I'm 10 yrs younger, and he couldn't collect the pension unless I died before him, the small monthy amount was pretty trivial....except that it would be deducted from my pay from this day til forever....even if he died (first). The life insurance, paid in a lump sum, would be more beneficial to him in either case, and is also something would get passed along to our children/grandchildren.

What really gets me, is that this was all settled between US, and now years later....we have to "settle" it again! It's like a conspiracy LOL! We got divorced with NO lawyers.....all our children were over 18 yrs old....we just sold everything, split it all 50/50 and went our separate ways. My attorney drew up the paperwork, we signed it, it went to the court.....but no attorneys were present in court. Judge just asked us if we agreed, we said yes....BAM, done! 5 years later...Fidelity Mutual says they don't care what the court said....they want our notarized agreement that we still agree! LOL! I didn't know divorces had to be RENEWED!
 redarcangel
Msg: 478
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2008 1:02:10 PM
Oh Grandmabooboo..you know they always got you..either coming or going..they got you when they want you for something. LOL

My ex wanted to keep me going into court for support he refused to pay anyway. See..that way he could show all his friends that he wasn't a dead-beat-dad..but a "good father".
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?