Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 packagedealx3
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?Page 2 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
I doubt that they were desperate and it was probably a combination of things. Because most people do not wish to make another mistake, I assume that you were compatible and things were going along nicely and they consequently thought, well, maybe this is the one, possibly after dating nutcases of all shapes and sizes.

In addition, with the nest empty, they may have been afraid that they were going to wind up alone or they may have had the time to really invest in a relationship for the first time in many years. If both parties have indicated a desire for long-term, they may have assumed that it was going that direction.

As far as rushing it to the degree you have indicated, have no answer for that one. Without the kids at home they may have felt that they know what they want and don't need to worry about the fallout if things don't work out. I could see maybe getting engaged quickly but I would take a good long time, probably at least a year and likely some cohabitation before I made that decision again.

Perhaps after some time passes you can ask them yourself. Sometimes people behave badly when their feelings are hurt but they may be willing to speak with you on the subject after they have had some time to lick their wounds.
 LQQK`N41MANONLY
Msg: 27
Why are some women over 40 so desperate to get married?
Posted: 10/15/2007 10:11:24 PM
i`m in no rush 2 get married again.. been there (a few times).. done that.. got the t-shirt..
 Embarking on a journey
Msg: 28
Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?
Posted: 10/15/2007 10:13:05 PM
2 TO 4 MONTHS? Hmm.....correct me if I am wrong ladies but is that not the time when we figure out if "he's right for me or not". Most of us know by that time ;).

I must say Msg, 4,5,15,19,25 and 27.........thanks, I needed that ....

hmm, OP perhaps you really do need to take a workshop on clear communication. Your confusion perpetuates the "chaos" in your life. At least you are aware that it exists for you! Perhaps this thread is a blessing in disguise for you.
 Hopesangel402
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/15/2007 11:30:35 PM
Dear OP,

I am going to try to help you understand, that you Might of Been Blessed to
have found these 2 women. After reading your Profile, it clearly state's that
You think that you are loyal. Huge Red Flag!!! Among other things, that are on your Profile.
Several Red Flags.
I think the chances of finding women with this Attitude is very Slim if NOT
IMPOSSIBLE!!! I am in my 50's and the thought of getting married too any
man, right away, is not a No, but a Hell NO!!! I was married 31 years, and
Strongly Believed in Marriage. I can Honestly tell you, that your not going
to find many women that will want to Sign, that Piece of Paper Again. Let alone
Jump to sign that Paper. Without Knowing in her Heart that they have found
a Man that is Everything to Them. That takes Time!! I am looking for a Long
Term Relationship, but Marriage again is almost Impossible for me. Unless
I find a Perfect Match. Or what I would consider to be someone that was perfect
for Me. Women today are so Much Brighter and realize that they don't need to
Sign any Paper to find what they are looking for.
The National Statistic State the Biggest Decline in Marriage Ever, at this time.
To Sum this up, Jump at Marriage or Stand in Front of a Firing Squad.
Most would Jump In Front of the Firing Squad, Yelling Hurry Just Shoot Me!!
 okcgreeneyes1029
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2007 11:46:18 PM
I'll be 40 at the end of this month and doubt I'll remarry. I don't even want the kids, so my clock is winding down and am hoping to have it removed. Are you in any way giving off the impression they may be "the one" in any of the conversations? If not, usually some type of action usually gives the go ahead in that area. Just observations from men I've gone out with lately.
 BobbyMgee
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/16/2007 12:33:36 AM
Im glad you said not all women. I am 41 and have no desires to EVER get married.
Have never been married. But its the same with men as well as with women.
If you are honest and straight forward as to what your wants are,maybe be easier to meet women that do not want to get married.We are out there.Having grown children though has nothing to do with a persons desires to want to be
married. I have kids....didnt make me want to......
 aims1225
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2007 12:39:21 AM
Wow...this has entirely been one of the most hilarious and entertaining posts I've seen in a long time. I actually made a cup of tea to sit down and really enjoy it when it started getting good. (Which was basically in the beginning when everyone started ragging on the poor guy who started the thread). Thanks y'all for the laugh, I needed that!
 carolanne 60
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/16/2007 1:11:47 AM
To Addicted 2 chaos,
Only four women? MY! MY! They knew by reading your profile that you only wanted to date. Maybe your the one that started their assumptions of marriage on what you said to them to get them in bed. You are using these women for your own ego boosting. By the way your speaking, according to your profile, your short term future is perfectly clear to me. You like to be in control of a relationship by your own words "time out". If both women had children, why would they worry about their biological clock? Who wants more children when you raised them and their grown and gone. Date if you want, but don't lead these women on. Why don't you rewrite your profile and say, no marriage - only short time dating future.
 tmotts
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/16/2007 2:31:18 AM
Believe me we are not all like that.
He would have to be amazing, and exactly what I am looking for in order for me to do that again.
Won't rule it out, but also won't rush into something I am not sure of either. Been there, done that. Next time I MARRY FOR LOVE.
Ultimately, I would love to share and spend my life with someone, but it would have to be something extraordinary for me to even consider it, otherwise it's not worth it. Second marraiges have a higher failure rate than first ones do. How scarey is that?

You must be an incredible catch, take it as a compliment, or change your whole approach.
 onlthelgo
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/16/2007 2:34:50 AM
i'd like to hear what you ladies really think ... lol

dude, you lead with your face ... !!
 aNgeLiCbLoNdiE
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/16/2007 3:48:54 AM

I know plenty of older women that do not want to rush to the alter including myself,your experience in older women is obviously limited (only 4) so please before you put another heading up have a little more experience will ya?,some of us are really fussy about finding the right partner.......you must have something they want I guess!!!.

why buy the cow when the milk is free has turned into:

when a woman wants a little sausage, why buy the pig that comes along with it?

key term you used " my short term future" << what on earth is that? sounds to me you are being vague. perhaps thats the problem. you wont even admit to yourself that what you are really looking for is no strings attachments that include sex. and hey if thats what your down for,, DO THAT,, just make sure you are very clear about it. i mean send absolutely no subliminals on this. if thats not what your in it for,, then maybe you need more clarity on what it is you actually do want.
excellent post!

everyone has a right to want what they want, vive la difference
 firstlight
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/16/2007 3:51:14 AM
I have been married and divorced twice so I know better than to say never again; BUT I can not imagine ever wanting to get married again. I would like to meet someone I truly enjoyed and wanted to be with for the long term but as far as marriage or even co habitating? I don't think so. I am not against marriage. I think it is a wonderful institution, however I am not quite ready to be committed.
 jazzy73703
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/16/2007 4:19:12 AM
I'm not. Its the exact opposite. I'm looking for a LTR without marriage and am having a difficult time finding a guy interested in something besides sex or marriage.
 strollinbella
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/16/2007 5:05:00 AM
From the perpective of someone who has never been married, though I was in a commonlaw relationship years ago, I am in no hurry to run up the altar with the first quy that shows an interest in me. If, and it's a big If, I ever get married, it will be after taking the time to get to know one another on every level, not just intimately, and to see if we are compatible. I may be single, but I am by no means desperate, nor am I lonely!

OP, I think maybe it was simply a matter of either the choices you made in dating those women or that you may have misread their signals.
 moraima
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2007 5:58:41 AM
I don't know if I have another marriage in me or not. I don't rule it out, but the planets would have to be just perfectly in the right spot.

When I was still at the stage of getting to know my last LTR, I asked him if he could see himself remarrying. A few years later, he admitted that he had though at the time that I was asking him to marry me. It was simply a question, no different than do you want to do ............(whatever) again.

It could be fear that makes people so concerned about things that aren't happening yet or maybe ever.
 mostviper
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/16/2007 6:56:10 AM
marry me..........
 Schadenfreudian
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/16/2007 9:03:46 AM

you’re going to have to stretch your canvass a lot farther than that.
Mein frau, any time you want help stretching your canvass, I will see if I can juggle my calendar to make time.

Herr von S.
 moraima
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2007 9:11:55 AM
I had a gentleman who was widowed bring photograph albums of all his toy and assets to our first meet. He wanted to show me what I had to gain by marrying him asap

Except it isn't funny how desperate people look to fix their loneliness.

Needless to say there was no second date.
 jayeedublef
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/16/2007 9:54:15 AM
Is that something you are proud of?
 11thhour
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/16/2007 10:05:27 AM
Well ladies...OP hasn't been back...I think our work here is done!

moraima
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2007 10:10:03 AM
After seeing OP user name, I think a lot of my questions about op's reason for the thread have been answered
 lalani
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2007 10:32:41 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO ! NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER Ever Again

Are YOU insane ? I was blind-sided but both my ex hubbies into thinking we should do that marriage thing. I NEVER saw the POINT. And was lucky to get out of both unions ALIVE and not compleatly NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR drinking to forget Marriage has to be one of those old ideas MEN dreamed up along with Bras and High Heeled Shoes.
 prolibertate
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/16/2007 10:33:21 AM
Considering I'm soon to be 49 and haven't been married yet, I don't believe I fall into the 'desperate to be married' bin, or I'd have done it already by now ;)

Since the common denominator in the 4 relationships was you, perhaps you should look a bit closer at what your words and/or actions might be saying or not saying to these women. If you broke things off after a short period because these women felt marriage was the next step, start looking at what may have caused them to think this...Most people don't just think about getting married and not think about *who* they want that person to be...only the desperate ones would marry just anyone, IMO. And most women in their 40s, either married previously or still single, know exactly how great being single is so they're not desperate to change that with marriage. So, look at yourself and see what signals you may be sending them.
 Brandie46
Msg: 49
Posted: 10/16/2007 11:32:24 AM
Addicted 2 Chaos, it's simple, just don't date desperate women.

Most of us over 40 gals who've been married, have grown kids and our own lives are not desperate to get married.

Been there done that!

Brandie46
 Wherefore Art Thou?
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/16/2007 11:34:30 AM
From OP's profile:
I have accepted a job opportunity to go to Europe and work in London, UK and should be moving around the first of the year. This doesn't mean I am not interested in a relationship. It does mean that I don't want my move to equal a nasty breakup and leave hurt people in its wake. I am going to be an empty- nester whenever my kid decides to go to college.

She thinks: "Hmmm. If I play my cards right the grand prize is I get to live in London with Prince Charming here! Quick! Try on the glass slipper!"
He thinks: "Well, she's on notice, I'm leaving at the end of the year. If she's still here she's just as interested in a phuck-buddy for the next few months as I am. Good deal!"

Sounds like a recipe for "Chaos" to me...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?