Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 outofthedesert
Msg: 526
Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?Page 22 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)

Because they think they're getting too old and ugly and running out of options, so they better ensnare you quick.

...and all the old, bald, overweight, impotent men that I have met think they are God's gift to women. Go figure!
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 527
Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?
Posted: 2/20/2009 9:08:11 AM
...and all the old, bald, overweight, impotent men that I have met think they are God's gift to women. Go figure!

I'll compare my face to a man's my age any day - Almost all of the time he has more wrinkles and lines, and less hair (on their head) . I guess that's why a lot of the guys here lie about their age, use pics over 3-4 years old, or don't have a clear close up picture of their face.
I had a boyfriend about 6 years ago who thought he was in good shape - he had so many stretch marks up and down his torso he looked like the american flag with no stars. I eventually asked him what they were from because they looked like scars. It didn't matter, because his physical beauty was not why I was with him.
I guess if you're peter pan, the whole youthful thing is more important than a woman's character. To those men, I say "good luck with that" and hope they like spending a lot of time alone. When a man middle aged man is still that shallow, it's just downright sad that he will probably never reach any emotional maturity. When men show ageism towards women, it is about as hypocritical as they can get.
 just sayin...
Msg: 528
Posted: 2/20/2009 10:22:58 AM
"addicted to chaos" are ya? why are you attracting this type i wonder? some people are needy and irrational, lucky you found 4! lol

but...it takes two to tango, so have to wonder what signals you may have given off that led them to think...
 Pixy Dust
Msg: 529
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2009 11:37:38 AM
Well OP you need to get with the program in todays dating world... refer to prior thread on women dating several men at once... you can assume your exclusive after a few dates...why not pick out the white dress after a few months????

These guys I tell ya, want their cake and eat it too....
 fishin4u266
Msg: 530
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2009 1:53:48 PM
I agree with MissMewsic.

I just picked the wrong one the first time. A good friend of mine said that the only way to do this right the second time is to date a person long term and really get to know them. He has been dating his girlfriend for about 15 months. She does let him know in no uncertain terms that she wants to get married. He has told her that he wants to date for 2 years and then if they believe they are really compatible, get engaged and work on blending their family rules and beliefs into one before the actual marriage and moving in.

I agree with this. He said he got married too fast and so did I. I want to date someone long term and make a life lasting marriage with that lady. I only want to walk that aisle when I am positive that we can make it.
 kellygrl51
Msg: 531
Posted: 2/20/2009 3:31:31 PM

Exactly....
 SweetSmartNSassy2
Msg: 532
Posted: 2/20/2009 4:56:08 PM
kpooks, so you've talked with every woman in America who is over 40 and not married? you think they consider themselves "old and ugly?" where do you get your facts?

go back and read posts from women who have been married before and sure aren't in any hurry to get remarried. lots of women don't want to get married just to have that "Mrs" in front of their name. this is the 21st century. get with the program.
 *Don*
Msg: 533
Posted: 2/20/2009 5:02:37 PM
They are ?!? ... not as far as I've seen. Every time the subject of marriage has been brought up when I've been with women over 40, they've run out of the restaurant, took off out the door of the apartment, and in one case, even out through the door of a moving automobile. So obviously, it's because women over 40 want nothing to do with being married. I have the proof.

D
 outofthedesert
Msg: 534
Posted: 2/20/2009 5:55:14 PM
A friend said:
Marry the first time for love,
the second for money
and the third for sex.

Would love to find all three with one ring...................
 barbiesmiles
Msg: 535
Posted: 2/21/2009 11:21:36 AM
OMG not sooooooooooo I was married for 14 years ...together for nearly 16.....the separation/divorce took an additonal 2 1/2 years .....

no no no no .....I am desiring to find

a friend/lover
confidante
companion

NOT marriage again...if ever....
 texasbaby
Msg: 536
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2009 11:33:08 AM
I will never, never get married again!
I have no room in the closet, but most of all ~
NO ONE is allowed to touch my remote control!!

tb
 MsYesterday
Msg: 537
Posted: 2/22/2009 9:16:36 AM
ARE YOU DATING WOMEN WHO ARE VERY INSECURE ABOUT THEMSELVES?
DO THEY FEEL THAT TO FEEL "COMPLETE"THEY JUST HAVE TO HAVE A MAN?
MARRIAGE IS THE LAST THING IN MY MIND WHEN DATING........WHY SHOULD I SETTLE DOWN WITH A GUY JUST TO HAVE A MAN.......I WOULD BE SO HONORED TO FIND A MAN WHO KNOWS WHAT HE WANTS .........AND WHO KNOWS WHO HE IS.........."DESPERADO"IS OUT OF MY LEGUE!
 bob2013
Msg: 538
Posted: 2/22/2009 6:32:27 PM
kpook thanks with that statement you have added about 7 more pages to this thread.
 oldsoul
Msg: 539
Posted: 2/22/2009 6:52:22 PM
^ Nah. Some things (and some people) are simply not worth getting upset over.

I prefer to let the numbers speak for themselves in just who is more ugly and running out of options.

I'm older than that poster by almost 10 years yet it's easy to see that I haven't ran out of options yet.

Unless of course all my "options" are attracted by my ugliness...yeah that must be it;)

Who would have thought there would be so many men who clearly hated women on a dating site?

Oh wait...now I'll be called a hater for pointing out the obvious.

Whatever. And as far as this lovely thread with the lovely leading title, I personally don't know one woman over 40 who even wants to get married, let alone one who is desparate. Most of us date younger anyway and marriage is the last thing on our mind.

IMHO

GreenwoodUnion
Msg: 540
Posted: 2/22/2009 7:15:37 PM
good post. i'm over 40 and a few things come to mind. i think that after our divorces or being widowed, a lot of us feel time is passing us faster than before and we realize we don't really want to end this life being alone. another thing is that we still have a need for companionship, want a little more financial security for our retired years and now that our kids are grown and gone, we would like to have a relationship that only includes 2 people instead of all the hustle and bustle that we've experienced when we had to concentrate more on the kids. for myself, i'm fine the way i am but if i find someone that will commit again and enjoy the rest of my life with then i'll probably go for it but it would have to be something that i can really go for. at this point in time in life, i wouldn't be able to just settle. some of us have too much to lose and don't want to go through all that garbage again.
 tina58572000
Msg: 541
Posted: 2/22/2009 7:21:29 PM
I can tell you that I'm one of those that have never been married and am not looking to ever be married. Anyone who would bring up marriage in that short of a time frame must need . I'd be the one to as fast as I could.

Never been married and after watching friends and relatives, think I'm the smart one.

simpletimes2
Msg: 542
Posted: 2/22/2009 7:39:01 PM
Not desperate, but not closed to the idea either.

The legalities were pointed out very eloquently by another poster in a similar thread...
...If I am fortunate enough to have a loved significant other in the future and an emergency arises and they end up in the hospital...Do I want to track down children that may live across the continent to approve of medical procedures etc? Power of attorney goes only so far and it needs to be talked about and planned. Love is one thing. Emergencies and Health Issues are not events that can be planned ahead of time. Just a thought...
 GreenwoodUnion
Msg: 543
Posted: 2/22/2009 10:14:59 PM
not desperate to get married again but if you do remarry and there's a health issue and the adult children having a power-of-attorney.....don't you think your husband should have put that power in your hands as his wife instead of his adult children whether they live down the street, out-of-state or in another country? you can't just marry someone to be married without having these things ironed out. whatever real property one brings into a new marriage in regard to a new will being drawn up and dividing assets amongst the new spouse and adult children.......well, what does anyone think of this stuff? these things could be all major turn-offs to getting married again over the age of 40+ because they're complicated matters.
 ladyc4
Msg: 544
Posted: 2/23/2009 11:24:32 AM
My personal thinking is that a couple who are over 40,who are contemplating marriage, need to sit down, possibly with one or more professionals, and realistically evaluate what will happen with Social Security, pensions, income taxes, estate and probate issues, and every "worst case scenario" that could occur. And even couples who consider cohabitation need to consider their financial and practical safety and wellbeing should the relationship be unsustainable or one partner passes away.
Given what I saw happen to my own mother, it's my opinion, that if each person owns a home, the one who moves in with the other should retain ownership of their home,renting or leasing it,letting a family member rent it for either money or maintenance service, however you want to do it.
If one sells their residence, even if the proceeds get put into a separate bank account, it's all too easy for one partner to sway or pressure the other to spend the money, or for both of them to decide to fund nontangible or undividable expenditures. Then if the marriage breaks up, the partner who sold their home is left with seriously reduced funds to create another optimal living situation. Or the court forces sale of the remaining home and division of the proceeds, that(especially NOW) might leave BOTH people struggling to rebuild their lives.
Cindy O
 bob2013
Msg: 545
Posted: 2/24/2009 9:21:42 AM
Thought this might end the great debate and inject a valued opinion. This is what Andy Rooney said on 60 minutes awhile ago.

As I grow in age, I value women over 40 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why:

A woman over 40 will never wake you in the middle of the night and ask "What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think. If a woman over 40 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around and whine about it. She does something she wants to do, and it's usually more interesting. Women over 40 are more dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it they will not hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it. Older women are usually generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it's like to be unappreciated. Women get pyschic as they age. ( here I'll add my own view they've seen more, so their BS meter is more finely tuned). You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 40. Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 40 is far sexier than her younger counterpart. Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off if you are a jerk and acting like one. You don't ever have to wonder where you stand with her. Yes, we praise women over 40 for a multitude of reasons, unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well coiffed, hot woman over 40, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies I apologize.

For all those men who say "why buy the cow whenyou can get the milk for free", here's an update for you. Nowadays, 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig to get a little sausage!

Andy is no dope for sure. Neither are most women. Time to wake up guys, women work, pay their own bills, some even fix their own cars. The only reason for women to have a man is because SHE WANTS TO not because she has to. As for those older among us (like me, although not guilty on age thing) time to wake up and smell the coffee, if she's young enough to be your daughter, the reason she's ther is suspect and you should know that if not from common sense then at least from life experience from generations before you. Good luck to all, Bob.
 BOT TAK
Msg: 546
Posted: 2/24/2009 11:00:40 AM

For all those men who say "why buy the cow whenyou can get the milk for free", here's an update for you. Nowadays, 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig to get a little sausage!

at least now I understand why people are so against marriage...if they consider it as only "milk/sausage" deal - why to bother?
 spacetolet
Msg: 547
Posted: 2/24/2009 12:27:35 PM

at least now I understand why people are so against marriage...if they consider it as only "milk/sausage" deal - why to bother?

Add some waffles and eggs and you got Sunday breakfast.
 bob2013
Msg: 548
Posted: 2/24/2009 12:39:08 PM
Don't forget the biscuits.
 spacetolet
Msg: 549
Posted: 2/24/2009 12:48:35 PM
I believe missynne is bringing them.
 SweetSmartNSassy2
Msg: 550
Posted: 2/24/2009 3:11:17 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!

bbw2love, good one!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why are women over 40 so desperate to get married?