Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Monty_Python_007
Msg: 114
Pets in BedPage 2 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
40 or 50 years ago anyone who allowed pets to sleep on their bed would have likely been considered, well, eccentric to say the least. But the prevaling cultural view has changed & is continuing to do so. Check out Jonathan Katz's 'The New Work of Dogs." In an increasingly alienating & impersonal world, pets now often function as our surrogate families, our "loved ones." The bond can be very strong.

My last girlfriend & I both had Blue Heelers (wicked fun critters!) And they were both "bed buddies." But 4 mammals, even in my king, was just too logistically complicated. So they'd sleep on their beds on the floor & sometimes join us for AM cuddling so they wouldn't feel totally displaced. (Trust me, you don't want a heeler as your adversary!)

If you have indoor pets, you know it's not called "furniture" for nothing! But as far as hygiene goes, you don't EVEN want to know how many pounds (yes, pounds!) of dead skin cells & mites are in you bedding, your pillows, your mattress at any given time.

You are, of course, free & welcome to deem pets on the bed as gross if you wish, as do some the consumpion of pork, raw oysters, etc. Doesn't make my ham sandwich any less tasty!
 Challenge
Msg: 116
Pets in Bed
Posted: 10/20/2007 9:42:52 AM
Who couldn't love this little puppy.........(see profile)
 junipermoon
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 10/24/2007 6:59:36 PM
at this point, i'd rather have them on the bed than on the keyboard ~ now, that's driving me batty!
 Sanschele
Msg: 128
Pets in Bed
Posted: 10/24/2007 8:05:27 PM
Alrighty, then..I gather that some of you actullay have a bed to sleep in.

My 4 cat's have their own beds ranging in the hundred dollar range, but refuse to sleep in them. I have 2 inches of my King size bed to myself..I have one cat between my legs, two cat's on either side of my head and one cat sleeping on the foot of the bed.

If a man can't deal with that, then he can drop dead!

Sans
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 143
Pets in Bed
Posted: 10/26/2007 8:42:02 PM

Honestly, I've dumped women for this, I am 100% NO pets in the bed. Now if you have a cat, the thing likely will sleep on the bed during the day, so I am a proponent of a sheet on the bed. I'm not wildly allergic or anything, but mildly; and I just really don't like the dirt factor......gross. Cats go everywhere and their feet are really not so clean. This is why I have no cat; I like them but way way too much mess.

That's what your house and your bed is for. What she does in her house is her prerogative, you don't have to sleep there, just have sleepovers at your place if it bothers you, or sleep in separate places.

I won't even go on a first date if I've found out they let pets on the furniture or on the bed. Sorry, they are NOT people. I have a great dog and he's trained to stay on the floor and his life is just great, nothing missing by his not being on the couch with me. God, I can't imagine how filthy that would be.....he tracks so much dirt into the house!

Whew.....this is my top pet peeve......pun intended. Serious dealbreaker to me......

I'll never understand when a couple has separate houses/apts how this is such a big deal...but I do agree that it's better off not to date someone altogether if you disagree on stuff like this. The earlier you break it off the better for you and for her...
 Megannn
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 10/27/2007 11:26:33 PM
I love dog, my family have 6 dogs. The oldest one was 11 years old....dats rite..beat that 11 years old. I love her till she died, as much as i love her...i bought her own bed. Im not sharing my bed with her, i mean....cmon man...share u bed w/ ur pet?

I was dating a guy before and then he told me, he likes dogs so much especially puppies. He told me, he kissed them because they're so cute. I was like, where did u kiss them,dude? ...and he answered "u know, those cute nose." ...I was like...wat the .... I aint kissing anyone....who kiss their dog.....i mean...cmon!!!
 Calmwaters/Wildcurrent
Msg: 154
Pets in Bed
Posted: 10/30/2007 11:15:51 PM
Um............ it's just that. A cold, wet nose can be a deal breaker.
 fancynanci
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 11/26/2007 11:34:33 AM
The only animal I want in MY bed is a man
 fancynanci
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/19/2007 4:26:46 PM
There is only one type of animal I want in my bed...a MAN!
 Semiramis
Msg: 164
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/19/2007 5:26:38 PM
I've been begging mine to sleep with me. I've done it all - cartwheels, the boogie-woogie and yes, I’ve also tried hypnotizing him by swinging a mean slab of steak back and forth until I got so dizzy I passed out. Nothing ever worked. My dog kept rolling his eyes, possibly wondering how much longer before a man makes it to bed. And then the time finally did come. But this particular man actually fell off the bed in the middle of the night when attempting to open the light, and he landed in bed with the dog. This is a true story by the way, and we laughed so hard that night, that the dog may have chortled as well.

The moral of my story is, there won’t be a dog in my bed. There won’t be a man in my bed either. At this point, I’m looking into cats.
 magnusfl
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/19/2007 6:43:29 PM
My cat always sleeps in my Bed or in my bedroom and never a problem and takes very little room.
however I can see a major problem with a pet that shed or was large

also my cat tends to respect my space when with a lover and simply stay off the bed but that been quite a while ago
 dudeish
Msg: 179
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/19/2007 7:58:15 PM
No pets in my bed please!

I don't think I could sleep in someone else's if they had pets either! Ewww

Pets... As much as we love them and they are apart of the family... Their hair gets up my nose and just ewww!
 ManeRider
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/19/2007 8:46:21 PM
A 9 lb. shih-tzu dog under one arm and
a 7 lb. balinese cat under the other.

They're both very clean, the dog is hypo-alergenic, doesn't shed (has more human like hair) , and stays groomed, while the cat grooms himself with a passion (ergo, very little shedding). I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, it aint' gonna get much better than that. Well, UNLESS, that is, Heather Locklear decides to stop fooling around with all her immature, groupy rock friends and comes to join me. THEN, I guess my furrie friends can sleep in their pet hotels while I be gettin` krunked on the missus. but until such time as Ms. "SoAndSo" get's her gps bearings straight, my pets have a place next to me as long as they want.

I dont' understand how people live WITHOUT any pets.
They're the impetus for a longer, healthier, happier life, so, who wouldn't want that?
 CanItrustU
Msg: 181
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/19/2007 9:47:52 PM
I have puppy, but she sleeps in her own bed. No puppy on my bed especially when I have my husband.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/21/2007 6:50:09 PM
I am allergic to some cats and not others so depends; my dog is small, clingy and doesnt shed at all and always has slept on the bed with the kitten next to him (she is smooth haired and sheds very little). I used to own Irish Setters now they are a bit of a challenge.... bed hogs and have to limit that!
 darkness757575
Msg: 211
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/23/2007 11:19:41 PM
Out of respect, the animals stay out because they are not human!!
 nycdoctor
Msg: 212
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/24/2007 6:54:25 AM
NO ANIMALS IN BED...EXCEPT **** ;-)
 cowtrucker
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 12/25/2007 11:47:35 AM
I'm torn on this subject...

I have in the past had pets in the bed. Small Dogs at the foot of the bed, the occasional cat when I was a kid that snuck in my room, etc. Right now I have terrible allergies, and have to keep my pets bathed and the house super clean. The dog thats inside the house has his own bed which gets cleaned regularly, and at night, I move his bed, right next to mine, and he sleeps in his bed, on the floor. In the truck, same deal. The dog has a bed on the floor of the sleeper and NEVER gets on the bunk.

If I were to find a mate who allows (large) pets in the bed, one, I'd probably end up sleeping at my house more due to allergies, or if its a huge deal, I'd probably let him slide back into the pond.

I'm okay with small dogs, I don't care for cats at all, no exceptions there, but as for a small dog in the bed? I'm okay with that, but I'd prefer if it were sleeping in the dog bed on the floor, like mine.

As for my mate not allowing dogs in the house? I guess it would depend on the dog, and the situation, as well as who's house it is... As I don't want something in my house that will make a mess or destroy anything either...

CowTrucker
Chapman, Kansas
 Mirage111
Msg: 220
Pets in Bed
Posted: 3/17/2008 7:39:04 PM
No pets in my bed..make them their own nice bed.
 TallAndDark68123
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 3/17/2008 7:56:05 PM
This is so funny! If your pet is more important than your SO desires then the SO needs to stay out of your bed until your prioritys are realigned.

Beds were built for humans and pets are animals!
 debbywebby32
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 3/17/2008 9:11:18 PM
My last long term relationship we had a full house, 2 full grown massive Shepards, my 2 cats.He had terrible insomnia and often moved to the couch so not to wake me. The dogs took that as open invasion that there was room for them, then the cats joined and then his little girl came. When he actually wanted to sleep with me the animals gave him the look of how dare you invade my space. They all clamored who could get closer to mom. In the invent we wanted to have sex we had to be tricky and slam the door before the invasion.Ahh the good ole days. Now its just me and my 2 cats and my pup, so i'd have to see...
 forum101
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 3/17/2008 9:25:49 PM
My cat Yogi sleeps at the foot of my bed, everynight. It is his job to keep my feet warm since I dont have a SO. I cant sleep if my feet are cold. I guess sometimes in the night I must kick at him, cause in the morning he is usually laying off to the side.
 supersnuggle
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 3/18/2008 9:19:14 PM
This is a true story, believe it or not! My girlfriend's little chihuahua sleeps in the bed with her. When I am there, the dog hops up in bed with us, as soon as we get in bed. As soon as we start getting frisky, the dog jumps up, jumps off the bed and leaves the room. We don't say anything to her at all, she just gets up and leaves.

Now the funny part...as soon as we are finished, and things get quiet, she comes right back in , hops on the bed, and snuggles right up with us. My girlfriend and I usually snuggle in the spooning position, she in front of me. The dog gets in the same position, right in front of my girlfriend.

That is one smart dog!
 forum101
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Pets in Bed
Posted: 3/18/2008 9:41:55 PM
supersnuggle said:
Pets in Bed
Posted: 3/19/2008 1214 AM
This is a true story, believe it or not! My girlfriend's little chihuahua sleeps in the bed with her. When I am there, the dog hops up in bed with us, as soon as we get in bed. As soon as we start getting frisky, the dog jumps up, jumps off the bed and leaves the room. We don't say anything to her at all, she just gets up and leaves.

Now the funny part...as soon as we are finished, and things get quiet, she comes right back in , hops on the bed, and snuggles right up with us. My girlfriend and I usually snuggle in the spooning position, she in front of me. The dog gets in the same position, right in front of my girlfriend.

That is one smart dog!

That's a good dog!!!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >