Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutMind
Msg: 213
Players! What is it like to play? C'mon be honest!Page 4 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)

Today I'll just start with my impression re the use of the term sociopath. I think it has been misused as well as abused. A sociopath is a Ted Bundy. Its not merely being a player. My goodness if every legit player was a sociopath there wouldn't be people around. Sociopath is a VERY serious almost terminal illness diagnosis. I understand the players who have made an art and/or a science of the game.

Thank you for making this clarification. I would like to add that actually a player is nothing but a product of human reproductive success. Men and women are hard wired to achieve reproductive success. Women has one egg at the time, and can only reproduce during her whole life maybe a maximum of about what 20 times (more than likely not that much but for sake or argument let's stick to that), and for every child she makes it takes her a long time to nurture. So she seeks the best male that she can find and looks for two trait, 1) a better gene pool, 2) someone that sticks around while she takes care of the children. Yet, men have more than a billion sperm and is capable of inseminating as many females as he possibly can. So what happens? The females look for those two traits, yet they are not always in the same individual in a given time.

So who is the Player? The player is actually and individual who understands the emotional needs of women to the point that he can seduce her quite easily. And once you are able to seduce one woman, why stop there, why have only one candy when you can have others. Now, don't get me wrong. A player is not a nice guy that sits next to her and listens and says, yes dear. He understands the side of women that is non-verbal, that is basic and is driven by our emotions not our intellect.

Why do women fall for players? Players come across as having a better gene pool because they are together, they display a sense of high value. However, women also have the tendency to believe that they can turn that man into a sedentary creature. Some times I have seen them do that. Two of my friends are now married to some awesome women, but it took a while to achieve that.

So, players are not sociopaths, they are men that are good at getting women. When they get their oats out of their system they will, or may settle down, or may not.
 zofromatl
Msg: 216
Players! What is it like to play? C'mon be honest!
Posted: 11/29/2007 12:37:44 PM
are you serious? a real player would never put that information on here.
Men have unspoken rules.
Only a true lame would give that information out.
He could not face his friends after he did so.
If you are not observant enough or have the wherewithal to figure things out then its on you.
One thing I will say is a player doesnt necessarily need attention as long as he gets the result he wants. He makes it look effortless at times to get what he wants.
Happy Holidays

p.s. this is only my opinion from observation. I dont take it as a compliment if someone were to call me a player either.
 OutMind
Msg: 218
Posted: 11/29/2007 1:02:36 PM

what gets a player "born again" and turns him into a nice guy?

Nice guy? Doubtful. The problem is that sometimes even when not trying women will pursue, and sometimes the candy is too good to pass.
 OutMind
Msg: 220
Posted: 11/29/2007 1:58:48 PM

I've know "some" players that were bitten pretty hard by the "love" bug and it changed them:)

Two of my friends fit that category. They're still major flirts, but now they keep the family jewels in the family.

And no, they are not pathetic, or dysfunctional or out to hurt anyone.
 OutMind
Msg: 223
Posted: 11/29/2007 3:07:29 PM

What others see as "players" are very often desperate people doing desperate things, in a desperate search for identity, and hurting others in the process.

Melo, I disagree here. Perhaps you speak from self experience, or the experience of some substance abusers, but the people that I've met that are or were players at some point, have no such issues, in fact many of them are athletes and kid of health nuts.
I think biologically we have the propensity to be players at one stage of your lives when the internal drives is to seek a partner, and when we do that if we're good at it we may stay in that state until we are ready to move to the next stage.

In my 20s even though I didn't know the word I would sleep around with a constant of 3 different girls on a given week, rotating them with one coming in the other one coming out. Out of that one woman stuck and she became my wife. Was married for close to two decades and never cheated. I had ample opportunity. Then I found myself single again, and then again sharpen the dating skills and went out. This time around I wouldn't consider myself a player, but I have gone out with over 80 women. I am dating one girl exclusively right now.

I think people are confusing the sociopaths, cheaters, abusers and so on with a player. Now player can be all of those, but that is not what makes them players. What makes them players is what M said, their ability to really understand what makes women tic. And the fact that they can get plenty of women.
 readytomoveon
Msg: 224
Posted: 11/29/2007 3:13:49 PM
Good topic! but I haven't seen anyone respond with their reasons or What is it like to play. figures, they lie about whomever they are "playing with."
..what makes us think they will be honest with this topic? idiots

to dawn1114, my definition of a so-called player is same as yours someone who LIES about that or their true feelings for someone to get dates/sex/whatever
 southernlass
Msg: 229
Posted: 11/29/2007 8:31:23 PM
I disagree with those who've said that if a relationship didn't work out and the guy bailed, that we're calling this kind of guy a player. That's not what I consider a player to be.

A player is a man or woman who is consistently and intentionally deceptive in order to get what he or she wants and in terms of this discussion, that is normally sex. A player wants to score and once his sights are set on his prey, he has a one track mind where that prey is concerned and he will score it if it can be scored. Once the prey is scored, he may return and score a few more times for his own convoluted reasoning's but then he is bored and is moving onto the next target.

I know this from the unfortunate experience of having it happen twice in my life. Both times, this was exactly the pattern it took and the last time, this man I was involved with actually chuckled when we finished being sexually intimate and said "Well, I got what I wanted and now that's the end of that." I never took him seriously at the time. I honestly thought he was teasing me. We were together for two more exchanges and then that was the end of that just as he said and without a word he was gone and quite literally disappeared from view around this city I live in. (By the way, ladies, he is back here now, and is alive and well with a profile on POF, is quite attractive, and I'm sure is still on top of his game, so be careful out there).

Thankfully, I believe in safe sex (so there was no danger of STD's) plus the two of us went and had STD testing together shortly after we began dating, and as I have already said, I had waited before becoming sexually intimate to check out this guy's motives for approximately three months worth of regular get together's. Several times a week, we went to movies, watched movies at my place, went out to lots of dinners, he worked on my roof, and a variety of various other activities, none of them sexual, short of a little making out.

As soon as I determined to trust him and give in and he sexually scored me, he was gone shortly there after. Now the point of my rehashing this little drama is that his intent was to deceive, to score, and then to move on. That is what a player does. (That is pretty close to what M. Church told us a player does).

Despite my being cautious and waiting, I was a challenge, somewhat naive, a little gullible, and definitely hopeful that he could be "the one." He took advantage of this and told me everything I wanted to hear so that I would believe he was what I was seeking. He wanted to be exclusive before sexual intimacy occurred and he led me to believe our future together was strong and certain. This is the way a real player works. Their primary characteristic is that they lie without regret or conscience in order to gain the trust of their prey so that they can achieve their goal of seduction. This lying deceptiveness is the one thing that does make them a sociopath (anti social). They have no conscience when it comes to deception in order to seduce. It is the thrill of the chase and the taking of the prey. That is their primary identifying characteristic.

I believe that Melo Felo said on one of his posts on this thread that there are far less diagnosed sociopath's than we think, less than one percent or something like that. I remember reading that the reason for that low statistic is that sociopathic individuals rarely come in for therapy! They don't think anything is wrong with them and rarely present themselves with problems so they are rarely diagnosed. It's not that the sociopath's are not all around us, it's that they aren't being treated or diagnosed because they aren't in therapy to have that occur.

Just for trivia's sake as well, the difference between a sociopath and psychopath is that a psychopath is violent. Sociopath's are rarely violent. They are the con artists, players and expert seducers of women, and scammers of the world. Psychopaths are the violent criminal element that are also lacking conscience development like the sociopath.
 southernlass
Msg: 232
Posted: 11/29/2007 9:07:46 PM
Melo Felo,

I'm one of those people you speak of, working in the counseling field, almost finished with a master's in counseling. I'll be done in May. I'm very close to licensure as an LPC and have been interning for a year and a half. I'm very familiar with the two terms. What are your credentials, Melo?

Southernlass, I wonder if you realize that your last post revealed the fallacy of your premise that "waiting" for a long time, to "really get to know someone"? Your "experience" with the player, that you chose to share with the thread, "played" along with your dating paradigm. Old Soul differentiated between "womanizer" and "player" quite well. She and I don't always agree, but I'd recommend that you re-read her post, because it seems to me that you have blurred the lines, and call any man who isn't willing to do things your way, and then stay until you tire of him, a "player".

No, I don't do that at all, Melo and I'm sorry you've misunderstood. I really have no idea what you're talking about with this commentary so I'll not even bother to clarify until you've made things a little clearer but I will say that if you're saying that my waiting is of no use to protect me from the players of the world, than I firmly disagree.

M. Church already stated that the best protection against the true player is to wait and I agree with him. I've only been played twice in my life. For those who don't wait and carefully check the guy out, I'm sure their numbers are a lot higher. I never said you couldn't prevent being played completely. I simply said that taking it slow, using caution, and checking the person out thoroughly makes it more difficult for the player to score.
 OutMind
Msg: 234
Posted: 11/29/2007 9:43:11 PM
Southernlass says:

Thankfully, I believe in safe sex (so there was no danger of STD's) plus the two of us went and had STD testing together shortly after we began dating,

Okay, I think we are mixing too many things into one single definition of what a player is. Mr. M for instance or some other individuals, are more what is called a PUA. Or pick up artist. Or you may say player. However, players don't have the attention span to do your roof, to get tested with you about STD before they have sex. Trust me, sex happens in the first, second or third date. Period. What you got was something else. Some dude that after you guys had sex just didn't dig you. Sorry honey. But that is what it is. You can be with a lier, a cheater, a sociopath whatever. But remember, players do work fast. They know that if they cannot trigger attraction right away, but you still like them, you are going to try to turn them into husband material and that is what they do not want. And they have no need to lie to you about that.
 southernlass
Msg: 236
Posted: 11/29/2007 10:05:15 PM
Thanks for the resume, Melo.

You obviously have some experience working with people with emotional problems and some diagnosed personality disorders, but let me clarify a little further below:

because it seems to me that you have blurred the lines, and call any man who isn't willing to do things your way, and then stay until you tire of him, a "player".

I do not call men who enter a relationship with the sincere intent of taking it somewhere meaningful, who later change their mind, because of incompatibility issues or other sincere changes of heart, to be a player. I do not believe that a man who engages in consensual sex between two consenting adults and then walks away after he's done with no lies or deceptions or attempts to mislead before sexual intimacy, to be a player.

I believe that a man who lies and deceives women in order to seduce and attain sex is a player, and I also firmly believe he lacks adequate conscience development. I believe someone capable of this kind of deception is exhibiting some of the traits of the sociopath. Whether or not such a man can be formally, clinically diagnosed as a sociopath is impossible to know. There are other criteria that must be met in order to appropriately diagnose anyone with this label formally.

Outmind said:

However, players don't have the attention span to do your roof, to get tested with you about STD before they have sex. Trust me, sex happens in the first, second or third date. Period. What you got was something else. Some dude that after you guys had sex just didn't dig you. Sorry honey. But that is what it is. You can be with a lier, a cheater, a sociopath whatever. But remember, players do work fast. They know that if they cannot trigger attraction right away, but you still like them, you are going to try to turn them into husband material and that is what they do not want. And they have no need to lie to you about that.

Actually, Outmind, I have to disagree. I think players have as much attention span as they want to have if they are taken with the prey. It depends on how intrigued they are and how much of a challenge the prey is. I'm quite certain that it wasn't an issue of how much he dug me afterward because it wasn't more than nine months or so after he disappeared that he had returned to my city and was emailing me on this very site attempting to score yet again. lol. Obviously I completely ignored his message, though I believe that some players will actually attempt to return to their prey and play them again, if they so desire, down the road -- if their prey is foolish enough to allow it, that is.
 OutMind
Msg: 237
Posted: 11/29/2007 10:27:11 PM

Actually, Outmind, I have to disagree. I think players have as much attention span as they want to have if they are taken with the prey.

My dear one. I feel for you. But once again. You're wrong. He is not what is called a player. YOU can call him a player in your mind. You can call him Ronald McDonald for all I care. Players just don't have that attention span. But even more, they do not want to give you the husband prospect signals. You got a dude that used you, hurt you, and you are right to feel bitter about it. But no cigar. Sounds to me that in your anger you want to put it all together into that very common thing now to gather things into a disease. "Oh, it's the Player disease." Take this two pills and it's over. Nah. The guy you were with sucked! He may use other women again. But he ain't no player.
 gmm765
Msg: 238
Posted: 11/29/2007 10:33:04 PM
Mel and outofmind are right. Most of the players are not sociopaths. I know a player who got caught cheating. His girlfriend hired a PI. She cried and cried and cried. He couldn't sleep at night, and felt terribly guilty for cheating on her. That's not someone who has an impaired conscience, that's someone who has trouble with integrity and wants sex on the side.

But I could see the guy you were with Southernlass getting sick of tired of all the trouble he had to go through to get sex, and when he finally got it, he said to himself "I got what I wanted and I've had enough of her." I've done just that.

The term psychopath is the old term for sociopath. It's not used anymore. All of the sociopaths are violent or potentially so because they don't have a normal conscience. The ones who function in society are considered "sub-clinical," that is they don't have to be insitutionalized in prison. Preferred occupations are professional sales, police/military, habitual criminals (the clinicals) and professional politicians, but they are found everywhere. They represent about 1-3% of the male population ( in the caucausion gene pool. In Hispanics the rate is 1-3%. Blacks is 6%. American Indians its a whopping 18%.
 southernlass
Msg: 240
Posted: 11/29/2007 10:39:35 PM
Outmind said:

You got a dude that used you, hurt you, and you are right to feel bitter about it. But no cigar. Sounds to me that in your anger you want to put it all together into that very common thing now to gather things into a disease. "Oh, it's the Player disease." Take this two pills and it's over. Nah. The guy you were with sucked! He may use other women again. But he ain't no player.

I'll concede to anger and bitterness for about three months after the fact but this was a few years ago, hon. I'm not the least bit angry and bitter about what occurred then, now. As I said in my earlier post, I took the lesson from the matter and moved on, leaving that eye-opening experience behind me.

Yes, this guy did suck, and if you're of the opinion that he's no player, you are certainly entitled to that opinion. I won't continue to belabor it with you but I will, on the other hand, continue to believe that he is a perfect example of what is out there in abundance, much more than any of us are aware of, I believe. My asking the other ladies to be careful and keep their guards up stems from experience and knowledge gleaned from that experience. It really makes no difference what we label these people, Outmind; the fact remains that they are out there and none of us knows the precise numbers.
 southernlass
Msg: 241
Posted: 11/29/2007 10:54:26 PM
gmm765 said:

But I could see the guy you were with Southernlass getting sick of tired of all the trouble he had to go through to get sex, and when he finally got it, he said to himself "I got what I wanted and I've had enough of her." I've done just that.

Thanks gmm

You've just validated my perspective on the topic of why women should wait, that I've been arguing with Melo about for the last several weeks on countless threads. The point is that waiting a lengthy time to become sexually intimate will either wear out the "players," (or player wannabes) most of the time and they'll disappear, and waiting will usually protect us from those who just want to use us, along with preventing a broken heart, and potential STD exposure. Waiting is not full proof, of course, but I think the odds are more in our favor when we wait.

At any rate, regardless of all of that, anyone who felt that he was "sick and tired of all the trouble he had to go through to get sex and when he finally got it, said to himself "I got what I wanted and now I've had enough of her," is definitely not someone I would be interested in exploring a meaningful relationship with. This kind of person does me a favor by moving on, and I do believe that waiting is probably the only way to increase the odds of avoiding such a person. Again, waiting isn't fool proof but it's the next best thing we've got as women to protect ourselves.
 gmm765
Msg: 243
Posted: 11/30/2007 12:03:51 AM
Yeah, southernlass, you're spot on. You wait and the players will be gone. Most anyway. There are lots of advantages to the old way of doing things.

But I think , too, often with guys--the emotional component comes with the sex component.
 southernlass
Msg: 244
Posted: 11/30/2007 12:10:41 AM
Good grief, Melo, I have to go to bed. lol. I'm stopping after this.

You said:

The point being, the woman who was "interested" in me, but was "hard to get" was a "target" for that sort of thing, in a way that others wouldn't be.

The reason, (apparently), that the others weren't a "target" (as you put it) for your player activities, was because you already scored them so easily! You just said so yourself in your post above this one. You said the era lent itself to "free and easy sex" most of the time -- but Melo, that free and easy sex is exactly what you've been advocating during our ongoing debate on the waiting paradigm versus the first date & third date rule paradigm. I'm honestly not sure if you actually mean to advocate free and easy sex but you just referenced it as that yourself!

The reason that you went after the girl who was a challenge and sought her approval, was because the others were easy and no challenge. So you also intentionally or non intentionally played the girl that was a challenge and your argument is that because we are keeping our guard up that we're in more danger of being played. This is terribly convoluted logic somehow because the answer is certainly not to simply give in and hand out sexual intimacy immediately by the first - third date in order to avoid being played. That ideal is just faulty, Melo. In my opinion, those who put themselves out there as quickly as you have advocated they should have alreadybeen played, with little to no challenge being had by the player.

I'm not saying I won't ever be played with my paradigm, Melo. I'm just saying I'm going to make it a lot more difficult on the player or user who is trying to score me than those who subscribe to the free and easy sex paradigm that you describe when you advocate women being sexually intimate by the first - third date.

And yes, I agree; we're both advocating different dating styles. You're entitled to yours and I'll keep mine, though neither of us are going to be dating anyone again in the near future, hmm? (We hope).
 southernlass
Msg: 245
Posted: 11/30/2007 12:23:39 AM
gmm765 said:

Yeah, southernlass, you're spot on. You wait and the players will be gone. Most anyway. There are lots of advantages to the old way of doing things.

But I think , too, often with guys--the emotional component comes with the sex component.

Perhaps you're right, gmm, but I think you're right about a certain percentage of guys and not all guys. And it's that different kind of guy that I was looking for all along anyway. I wanted one who wanted more than just sex, who could see beyond the sexual aspect of things, who wanted the whole package.

The whole package for me included a life partnership that honestly takes into consideration the traditional wedding vows and what goes along with that: Loyalty till death do us part, regardless of what may come, good or bad ; a working together to build something and hanging in there no matter the bumps in the road. I wanted someone that would love me even if I do gain weight or if I'm not in the mood due to health issues, or whatever. I wanted someone devoted and loyal who understands the meaning of traditional wedding vows. I'm just an old fashioned, traditional kinda gal, I guess.

I think I've found him, thankfully, so I believe the kind of man that a lot of women seek, who will be a devoted, loyal life partner can be found, but these women are going to have to sift through a heck of a lot of guys that just want free and easy sex in order to find the real thing.
 svj
Msg: 250
Posted: 11/30/2007 7:24:49 AM
If women's intution really works, then how come so many women get played?

If your definition of a player is "a man who outright lies to get into a woman's pants".... Strictly speaking... most don't.
Women's intuitions are pretty good at picking up outright BS. Evolutionarily speaking... they've had millenia of practice.
Those that don't... from my personal experience, I've found alcohol is usually the #1 culprit.
Which is almost always a self-inflicted handicap.

"He's a player!" all too often is simply a expression of "Buyer's Remorse".

The one thing that I don't think anyone has taken into account is that people (men AND women) usually simply feel differently in the cold light of day, after the shag... when everyone's hormone (and likely alcohol) levels are back to par. Most of us, at least once, have woken up in the morning... rolled over, saw your new companion, and said "Ooops!"

If the definition of a player is "someone I slept with that didn't want a relationship with me", then yes....
people get "played" all the time.

But a good portion of these are women in denial about
"95% of men will sleep with a woman on initial lust alone, but it takes more to have a relationship".

Of course I'm not saying that all men are "blameless", here.
Some guys really will lie, cheat, and phoney their way into the sack at any cost.
Some guys have absolutely no regard for anyone's feelings.

But what I am saying is that between the amount of women in complete denial about a guy's natural "standards for sex" being a lot lower than hers....
the amount of people (men AND women) that project their own expectations onto a person that never did claim to have any "honorable intentions" towards them....
and the amount of people that claim "Player" on someone that they've been seeing for more than a month, but it just didn't work out in the end, for whatever reason...

Not nearly as many people are actually being "played" as there are cries of "Player!"
Not even close.
Far too often... The word "Player" is used like "Slut". A word used to cover up the and absolve the speaker's own role in their own emotional distress.
 whisper67520
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2007 1:15:21 AM
svj.....I am truly impressed at your young age, but depth and level of understanding and ability to express in words. Right ON

If the definition of a player is "someone I slept with that didn't want a relationship with me", then yes.... people get "played" all the time.

But a good portion of these are women in denial about
"95% of men will sleep with a woman on initial lust alone, but it takes more to have a relationship".

And the women who do recognize this trait, will be inclined to "take it slow" just to verify if its quantity or quality a guy is seeking.
 SwtSuthrnGrl
Msg: 253
Posted: 12/1/2007 10:45:50 AM
I dont think I wanna be a player or be played. Just open & honest friends.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 254
Posted: 12/2/2007 3:45:00 PM

In essence, you place more emphasis on friendship, expecting that sexuality will eventually come from that, and I believe that if you find your "grand passion" that friendship will naturally follow. Either way, the goals are the same although the emphasis will be somewhat different.

You make a good point melofelo as if one is hoping that a friendship will develop into something more over a very long period of time, from personal experiences here, the people like this I think are if they unsure or still a little reeling from past failed relationships it would give one an overly cautious approach or self imposed barrier.
Whatever, I personally if meeting a person and if the chemistry isn't happening what would be the point in dragging it out if both parties are not in tune!
Most women who are here and know what they want are intune in what they want without the excuses or the need to take it more time or need to go slow.
The in tune women who are free to move on and are smart enough and not naive to know a good thing when they see it and feel it without the confusion or constraints of unsureness.

Sexuality between two people in a relationship can happen without intercourse.
'It's called glove in hand' for some the glove finds the hand and for others the glove never quite fits right'
 southernlass
Msg: 256
Posted: 12/3/2007 12:22:03 AM
Thanks for the update, M. Church. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Inquiring minds and all of that..

How does the playing actually make you feel? Meaning at the end of the night when you're close to sleeping and are basically alone with your thoughts, even if you're not alone in your bed, what's really running through your mind? Is it on non-stop daily planner mode, for your next encounter etc.? As in incessantly busy busy busy thought-wise so you don't have to pause and really think about your life and what it means or is your life fairly calm and peaceful? Is there any meaning or depth within it?

Well, that's more than a few, huh? So just one more then:

What's on your agenda for the future? In other words will you play until you're an aging gentleman who can perform no more, or do you see yourself settling down one day with some nice girl and playing house? Or would it be both or neither?

I hope you don't mind the analytical questions. If they are too intrusive, I apologize. Thank you in advance for whatever you feel like responding to.
 mimosa
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2007 7:17:00 AM
I've read the whole thing, I don't have any judgements. I do have a question for the players.

What % of woman would you say can see you coming a mile away and have decided you wannna play baby? let's play. If you even recognized it.
 svj
Msg: 261
Posted: 12/3/2007 7:42:38 AM
Church: Shhh! You're destroying a lot of people's fantasies, you know.

Keep this up, and folks around here might start thinking that guys that are attractive to more than just one woman are... gasp... human! Nooooo!
 OutMind
Msg: 264
Posted: 12/3/2007 8:11:40 AM

I will not have sex with her unless she's medically tested. I'm not willing to sacrifice my health for a roll in the hay.

Dude, don't tell me you don't use condoms. There are so many STDs that are actually parasites that don't show on the usual blood test.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >