Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What have you learned . . here . . ???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 12
view profile
History
What have you learned . . here . . ???Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I have learned that men and women have the same basic questions.. but still seem not to "get it". There seems to be some sort of bizarre self-defeating human inability (disability?) to recognize that we are far more alike than different.

I have learned what "pedantic" means, and that it frequently accompanies semantics! (yay me!)

I have learned that there are really amazing beautiful people on here...and most of them live really far away.

By participating here I am learning about myself, what I really think and believe, how I really feel, and where I need to make some changes.
 OutMind
Msg: 13
What have you learned . . here . . ???
Posted: 10/17/2007 8:24:10 PM

I have learned that there are really amazing beautiful people on here...and most of them live really far away.

By participating here I am learning about myself, what I really think and believe, how I really feel, and where I need to make some changes.

I find myself in real life conversations where they are totally at a lost and I just repeat something discussed here for 10 pages, and they look at me like, wow, where did you figured that out. Cheat sheet, cheat sheet. That's what the forums are. About life. Given with a true two by four between the eyes.

NatGoat
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/18/2007 12:31:15 AM
...That you have to be _SURE_ to include the ' ' . . to something Intended as a Joke . . !!
I lost a Genuinely _Fabulous_ Relationship by leaving them out of ONE Forum-post . . !!!
I cried for a W E E K . . !!!
 smartazzjohn
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/18/2007 12:27:10 PM
I've learned that some people claim to have found their soul mate, true love, blah blah blah who they just met a week ago online, talked on the phone a couple times and met once. Then a month later they have a new profile with " I am here to give this another try" or something to that effect. It kind of like "love at first sight" but on here is more like "love at first type"
 smartazzjohn
Msg: 16
Although I'm not so much worried about the peeing to mark territory as I am the dry humping of my le
Posted: 10/18/2007 10:16:06 PM
I've learned that many people who claim to have a sense of humor really don't. They get mad when someone says something in jest that they don't agree with.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 5:07:06 AM
That there is lots of lonely people out there staring at their computers.
 Rythmn
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2007 9:17:27 AM
i learned that there are a number of walking wounded. many are lonely. a good number are only "just" coming into their own and finding out who they are and what they believe. i've learned that i can be there for the younger crowd, especially those w/o parental support and there are older and wiser people there for me. i can make good and solid friends on pof, some who have lasted the good two years, since i have been on here.

since i am just starting again to consider dating, i have come to question my own values and vision for my own future. is there still such a thing as living together and getting married or should i get realistic and stay with my manfriend, who has a really hard time saying "i love you" and i am clear that is his issue and has nothing to do with me. is it true that passion and love must die once you commit, as per his opinion? that is what i am hoping to answer via the forum feedback, as well as to understand this perspective.

i have learned what a milfer is and that i find it terribly upsetting that the old and young exploit each other today as part of the web of society. i also have found that here you are pretty much loved or despised or an object of extreme annoyance or admiration. most of it rather premature. as for me, i try to look at people's opinons through their own eyes and experiences. if i cannot tolerate the opinions or a person is playing games or being mean spirited, i learn to forgive and let go--but sometimes it takes a few days.

as with all things, the internet offers us the good and the bad. we get to choose and to practice and to explore. it becomes an interactive diary and an extension of oneself into the community of "thoughts".
 ________
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/22/2007 4:30:39 PM
That women (almost) never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never initiate contact....

Now that I think about it -- I knew that before POF -- so I guess nothing.
 IronHorse1
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/22/2007 4:53:28 PM

That women (almost) never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never initiate contact....

No true, if your a great looking guy!
 ________
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/22/2007 8:38:45 PM

at least give the impression that you are some what educated..........

Yes -- somewhat being the operant theme there -- not that many potential Rhodes Scholar candidates roaming about the Internet in search of friendship and/or conversation is there....? To follow-up the
never never never ad infinitum
I might have gotten 3 emails in roughly 10 years that were "cold contacts", but perhaps my experience isn't completely typical.
 Pete73052
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/26/2007 7:39:36 PM
Why don't you stop wondering if they're "worthy" of you and start wondering if you're "worthy" of them? Hey, maybe you haven't learned ANYTHING here.
 Pete73052
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/27/2007 12:28:34 PM
Actually, "Baby you KNOW you're the only one for me" works pretty well for me... and women who know me know I use that line on everyone.

I've learned that when someone is a little wimp, everyone appears "macho" to them.
 Pete73052
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/27/2007 6:57:00 PM

I would probably message pete before I would __________ or the other guy, just because he is more positive in responses.......women like that~

I've learned that being positive yields positive results.
 Pete73052
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/29/2007 2:42:02 PM
I'm going with "entertainment purposes" as well. I find the people-watching extremely entertaining.

Before:

..That women are nearly as Rude about responding to _pleasant_ messages Online
as they are are a bar . . when asked to Dance . . !!
- It's either 'Read/Deleted' . . or just plain 'Unread/Deleted' . . !!
About 10% actually Respond to a polite inquiry or request for conversation . . !!
. . Nonetheless . . There MUST be SOMEone, here . . worthy of a Nice Guy . .

After:

..That the 'Pond' is much more genuine and open, here . .
Many more 'Real' people .. stating just what they want from Life, the Universe and Everything . . !!
Whatever their expectations or purpose for being here . . they are accepted for it . .
And not -generally- judged .. for their Opinions . . !
**Thanx, all . . . . You're Terrific . . !!!**

I've learned that some people will do or say anything if they think it will get them laid.
 Berglevise
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/3/2007 11:22:43 PM
I have learned that im stranger then truth and stronger then fiction
 kasandroid
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/7/2007 9:58:34 PM
LOL:
I have learned that getting the internet was a very BAD idea if you have art to do.

I have learned I hate IM on this site. I wish it was a little more like MSN. At least you know who is IMing you on MSN. I have learned alot of people's IM's are broken on POF including mine.......................

I have learned that I have an apparent KAHLUA ADDICTION (I guess from my picture on profile) and I NEED to check into REHAB immediately since a bottle of sugar that lasted in my fridge for like 3 months is DESTROYING my LIFE.
Tee Hee

I have learned that not wanting to talk about my sex life with people whom I've never actually met, and finding some of the forums on Sex a bit vulgar, automatically means I am A PRUDE . Or I never ever had the Big O or whatever. Or I must be a Hater of the sexually liberated.

Apparently people still haven't learned to AGREE TO DISAGREE.

I have learned that the BS I play and play badly on my Guitar sounds more beautiful then some of the stuff I've read round these parts.

I have learned that reading forums is way easier then reading music.

I have learned that I need a BOYFRIEND who plays GUITAR and can SAVE me from SMASHING the beautiful guitar.

I have learned that I HAD better luck finding a boyfriend at a pub or bar. Lol

I have learned that way too many people are more concerned about fitting in with people they will never meet. That way too many people are way too concerned with stranger's lives then their own.

That being an free-thinker is scary to many, yet these scared individuals have many similar, boring ClONE/DRONE profiles that make the free-thinkers wanna scratch their eyeballs out or slip into a COMA.

When the free-thinkers try to start a thread and talk about something NON-REDUNDANT they get bashed and their thread deleted. But then there will be other threads where people COMPLAIN that the threads have already been done to death, or the threads are getting boring. Well gee anybody see the PARADOX now?

If it wasn't for the free-thinkers and their whacky ideas and profiles, just think how many more BORING profiles with very little information you all get to read!

At least I offered some entertainment, and looky loo you DID NOT have to meet me or worry about your SAFETY, lol.

Oh and since when did men have to worry about their saftey more then women? I'm the one who's hand is falling off from being-a free thinker and doing creative things.............................................................

I have learned that girls are not all that more sensitive then men, if anything from some of the men I met............

I have learned that people who do not mean exactly what they write, mainly Players, use the periods alot after they write 3 or 4 sentences in their "CAPTIVATING" PROFILES............................................................................................................just like that.

I have learned to let the occassional spelling mistake go on here, what the hell I ain't getting paid and WOW some people let their spelling go alot.

I have learned that I enjoy using the Caps button a little too much on here to over-emphasize certain things.

Oh well the the Playa's can have their DOTS and I will stick to the CAPS, "let's just all just love one an other".

zangie
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2007 8:51:51 PM

I've learned that there are actually people who think that they have a right to judge someone else's s innate preferences in a mate, or that those preferences "should" conform to some notion of political correctness, so as to not exclude them.

That's a mighty big assumption Melo, did you look at her picture and know which prejudices she was talking about? Or even if they were personal? I've found that some people feel the need to "bash" other people based on misconceptions of that's person's beliefs or thinking.
 OutMind
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/10/2007 7:22:24 AM
Negative people get nothing but negative consequences. They don't try and when they do, give up easy and do nothing but b!tch.

Positive people, take action, they fail, they try again, and again, and again, unit good things happen.
 Pete73052
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/10/2007 9:18:37 AM
Here, this may help:

Women:
Thin = average + no tits
Average = 40lbs over weight
Curvy = 40lbs over weight + nice tits
Athletic = no tits + nice ass
Large/BBW=100+lbs over weight

Men:
Thin = feminine
Average = 40lbs over weight
Muscular = 40lbs over weight but chest is still larger than waist
Athletic = 40lbs over weight but likes to watch sports
Stocky = 50+ lbs over weight + short
Large = Head the size of a basketball
 intheswim
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2007 10:02:00 AM
I've learned that, as bright as I like to think that I am...I can't hold a candle to many of the posters in the forums.
Thge UP side to that...is that I get to get educated on sooo many different things, and to levels that I had never imagined!
Love it!

Spend lotsa spare time cross-referencing and thinking about various topics.

One of these days, might even get a life!

But, in the meantime, I'm enjoying the many-splendoured thing that POF is!
 Pete73052
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/10/2007 11:48:09 AM
Baby, I like them "average"...
 gmm765
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/28/2007 9:40:56 PM
Well, I am new--been on here 3 days, so this is my first post.

What I've learned: discussion groups are a much better way to meaningfully connect with interesting people. This is far superior to the average dating site where you read profiles.
 OutMind
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/4/2007 7:33:36 AM

i've learned that the compassion and empathy here is very strong indeed.

Damn, out of all this negativity, bitterness, and self loathing that exist here, you are always a beacon of light. And yes, I've seen some incredible empathy, compassion and also some incredible advice.
 Boomstrike
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/18/2007 12:46:50 PM
Things I've learned:
- Some women can have an orgasm without even being touched. I'm jealous.
- What women find attractive and unattractive about men.
- How to get rid of a jehovah witness at your door.
- Many women like tall men. Really, I had no idea.
- That spelling/grammar is a sign of intelligence or education for some people.
- There are tons of lonely people out there.
- My email spam has increased significantly since joining this site.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What have you learned . . here . . ???