Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Deleted Threads - Redundant Threads - Old Threads      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Djonna
Msg: 31
deleted threads - real answersPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

When I post threads in the sports forum about soccer they get deleted. Last night I posted one about the MLS playoffs and it got deleted.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 32
view profile
History
deleted threads - real answers
Posted: 11/3/2007 11:07:55 AM
"If I want to post a feeling or an incident or just a topic? Lord, God and heaven above, I guess I choose not to go through 100 pages of posted threads to find out if this has been posted before. I don't have that kind of time."

You used "I" 4 times in 3 sentences. So you let everyone know what's best for you. The forums are a community, what about everyone else in the community? Following the rules is just a waste of your time or inconvenient. Hmm...well if you want something suited just to you, start your own website then you can have things just like you want.

Starting threads that the mods have to delete, that's just being inconsiderate of the time they volunteer to make sure everyone follows the rules. I bet if someone was harrassing you on the site, you'd be glad the mods were here to "help" you. It's like police and lawyers, some complain about them but they're dang sure glad to have them around when they need them.

You agreed to abide by the rules when you joined. Same as everyone else, if you choose to disregard them, then don't complain when they're enforced.
 Djonna
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/3/2007 11:39:20 AM
I've had threads deleted. At first I took it personally; now I don't care. What's important to me is not necessarily important to the community. Just buck up and move on
The first time I had a thread deleted, I wrote the ADMIN and canceled my first account thinking I had overstepped something; somewhere. I apologized perfusely and felt terrible. I took it personal and after a while decided to come back to find out many threads get deleted, but I didn't know that and don't post here often for that very reason. One can take a thread with heartfelt meaning and then you can have a post that just pi**es people of so they write out of anger and that thread goes on forever.

You agreed to abide by the rules when you joined. Same as everyone else, if you choose to disregard them, then don't complain when they're enforced.
I don't think we are really complaining; just looking for information and understanding the process. We so often seek information that others view as complaining.
 Deceased~
Msg: 34
Posted: 11/3/2007 12:45:26 PM

Don't post a new thread before going to bed.

Not only accurate, it is poetic. That is excellent advice.

Another way to make a determination is to watch other threads and see what happens when they get deleted. One way to find them (I believe I mentioned) is to look at the "violations" thread. You can read the reports and go to the links provided and see exactly what is going on. After a while, you will then see the moderator's remarks and you get a clear idea of what gets a thread deleted or a post erased or (in some cases) a person banned or ejected completely.

It is a great learning experience. After a while you are able to recognize not only a thread which is likely to disappear (therefore a waste to post into) but you become able to monitor your own posts and stop short of making similar mistakes.

Not a Mod
 Deceased~
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/3/2007 1:09:00 PM

I don't think we are really complaining; just looking for information and understanding the process. We so often seek information that others view as complaining.

Please allow me to explain (I've got lots of time that mods don't have). What people are trying to tell you is that your approach to the forums is guided by a misunderstanding of the grand plan. The forums here are meant as an archive of information (even that idea can be found via a search of threads with the word "forum" or "archive"). The idea is that if you want opinions about how people feel when a relationship ends and how they cope with a broken heart, there will be countless messages already in existence and readily available by searching.

On the other hand, if you want to know opinions on how to begin or end a relationship or learn what people think makes a good relationship, then that is in a different section and also available via a search.

The problem comes when you want to ignore all that (and ignore the basic plan for the forums) and just write about your own relationship and your own broken heart, then it becomes redundant and not of great value to the community unless you have a special case that nobody ever encountered before (your boyfriend was a famous person or your relationship was in the news, etc). If your's is sufficiently unique, then your thread will survive and become a part of that archive of information.

If your opinion or your situation is just another similar broken heart, then what you do is open up one of the archival threads on the subject and add your views to the information. You will still get the same amount of attention to the situation because that old thread will pop right up to the forefront and be just as visible as any new one you might start.

As for threads that seemingly don't deserve to go on forever, those are the ones you report. I saw a thread disappear that had over 800 replies and was over two years old. Someone reported it and it came to moderator attention and it rightfully disappeared. It existed probably only because no one had bothered to make it known.

Not a Mod
 Ticketoride
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/3/2007 1:17:33 PM
They should constantly monitor the forums and read every message posted and be able to determine exactly why each thread is deleted by privately contacting the "seven of Ten" in some way

They better be damn good-looking ... j/k ...

Not possible, even if another 20 Moderators were added on. Then correspondence Mails back & fro ... until the Whining & Tears finally stop ... any Volunteers? ...

Oh, you are all already here for that. Cool ... * straightens up the Couch *

I've been on several forums that had paid moderators and they didn't ever send an email or give a reason for deletion.

Nor do they give a Shit.
We are Volunteers, entirely different Basis.

And none of those other sites had a help/suggestions thread or moderators who took their time to post long extended explanations of the rules. It was assumed a member had read the rules when they joined and clicked "I agree" meaning they agreed to abide by them. Their moderators weren't nearly as patient or tolerant as the mods here are.

Exactly. You get your Ass flamed being FAQ-thumped by the Users almost exclusively.

I posted the thread before I went to bed and checked it as soon as I got up, it was already gone. I can't monitor a thread in my sleep.

I already posted the Links and your Answer above. I'll post it in full here again:

If your Threads keep getting deleted, even though you have done careful and meticulous Searches for Redundancy beforehand, and were unable to find a Thread on a very similar or identical Topic, then E-Mail any of the Moderators for a Resolution:

1.E-Mail your "Opening Post" along with the Subject Header for a Redundancy Evaluation.

2.We will then conduct a Search, and if no similar or identical Thread Topic is found, give you the "Green Light" to go ahead and make the Thread.

3.Then make your Thread.

4.E-Mail us to have your Thread "Set Off" and all User Voting cancelled.

5.A Moderator will then edit the Subject Line of your Thread something on the Order of "Valid Topic", "OK Topic", etc. using colored HTML Tags to prevent Forgeries.

However, this is no Guarantee that your Thread will not be deleted.

It just won't be deleted for Redundancy.

Should the Topic of the Thread become hijacked, excessive Chatting take place, Flame Wars ensue, and the Thread would not be salvageable in any reasonable Framework of Time, or anything else referred to in the Frequently Asked Questions Thread, a Moderator may delete the Thread.

Thus it becomes your Responsibility to know and abide by the Forum Rules and Forum Posting Guidelines and file Reports on those Forum Posters whose Posting Habits may lead to the Deletion of the Thread.

File such Reports here:Forum Rule Violations - Report Thread

In this Manner, there is no Reason why your Thread shouldn't last until Time immemorial.

Lord, God and heaven above, I guess I choose not to go through 100 pages of posted threads to find out if this has been posted before. I don't have that kind of time.

Irrelevant. ---> Thread Search Instructions

We don't have the Time to clean up after you because you don't have the Time play by the Rules, hence you get kicked off the Forums.

Related Links:Forums: Redundant Threads/Archival Value
 Deceased~
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/3/2007 2:53:24 PM

Oh, you are all already here for that. Cool ... * straightens up the Couch *

Point taken. I suppose I am being naive. I am a perfect example of my own theory that some of us would not be capable of being a moderator because we would fall into that trap of trying desperately to explain some point to people over and over again, who would not listen and who should be capable of looking up the information they are directed to read.

I think someone else said it more eloquently - you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/3/2007 3:16:14 PM
I am a perfect example of my own theory that some of us would not be capable of being a moderator because we would fall into that trap of trying desperately to explain some point to people over and over again, who would not listen and who should be capable of looking up the information they are directed to read.

I do not post References to FAQs where a Poster has to weed through 8 Pages of Blah-blah to find his Answer, if its even there.

Its something they can do on their own, at their own Leisure.

Nevertheless, this usually Results in more E-Mail Queries because they don't feel they are being helped on the Forums, and won't spend the Next Hour looking for something they cannot find. Hence I post the exact Links to the exact Answers wasting the least Amount of Everybody's Time.

It takes me 1 Minute to post it, it could take them over an Hour to find it on their own.

In many Cases a User hasn't got the faintest Clue what he doesn't know and what Answers he actually needs to look for. Thus it becomes a Moderator Function to assess what the Problem is and in many Cases submit a linked Sequence or Checklist to assist the Poster that will eventually lead to a Resolution at some Point.

Posting in the Help Section is only 1 of many Responsibilities we have. Continuously cleaning up the Floor consumes most of our Time.
 Straight Christian Lady
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/3/2007 9:11:02 PM
If a post or thread of mine is deleted, I appreciate knowing I mucked up in some way, but would it be possible to send a copy of the offending entry so I can remember what it was?
That's part of why I have trouble sometimes: I can't recall the text of my comment, and I'm thus at a loss about the content I went wrong on.
Would that be a feature POF could consider offering?

I was actually about to open a new thread about this very thing but I saw it had been addressed already. I do make the effort to abide by the rules. Sometimes the enforcements tend to sound punitive rather than instructive. I don't think POF-fers are in general trying to be deliberately careless, disrespectful or ignorant.

Thanks,
WizeChiklet
 yayawhatever
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 12:05:28 AM

The entirety of this thread is an answer to your query.

Please go back and read Msg# 5: this thread

bucsgirl
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 7:45:03 AM
"If a post or thread of mine is deleted, I appreciate knowing I mucked up in some way, but would it be possible to send a copy of the offending entry so I can remember what it was?" It's been suggested that if you want to start a new thread you write your opening post in word. That way you can do spell/grammar check and save it. That way is the thread is deleted by user vote, you still have your OP. Some people do this (save in word) for their email messages and profile. I have a whole section of saved files that are various things called "POF". I can go look at them anytime I want to. That way you wouldn't be asking the site or mods to do something you can do yourself.

For all those claiming they have "haters" who follow them around deleting their threads for no reason, the votes for thread deletion is monitored. Some people have their voting privileges taken away if they have a pattern of doing just that. So while it may happen, it's not going to continue to happen.

Not every forum even has the drop down vote option available. If a thread is reported, it's still up to the mods to decide if the reason is legit. In addition to answering all their personal emails, keeping up with the help/suggestions thread is a huge volume of work.

The other option for a thread being deleted is a report on the report thread or an email to a mod or forum_mod account. I've had threads deleted for members chatting, that is above and beyond any OP's control. If you are "monitoring" your own thread, and see it happening if you report it before someone else does, it can be dealt with and may save your thread. There's also the "delete post" button for every new post, that is also a privilege that can be taken away.

The latest report thread was started 8/12, is already 128 pages, 3200 responses all handled by 5 or 6 mods. Think if you got 3200 emails in that period of time, split among 6 friends. Sometimes it's a single message, sometimes an entire thread. For every closed for review thread, a mod has had to read through ALL of it, for those that are obviously in violation can be deleted.

This is the only forum that is this well moderated I've ever some across and does allow the membership to help "self police". That is also a privilege that if abused could either limit or take away privileges or perhaps get a vacation to banned camp or their profile deleted enitrely.

I wouldn't even want to guess at the volume of mail to the forum_mod account and the mods personal email accounts.

It'd good that this site does offer the opportunity to submit suggestions, but a huge consideration is what volume of work either the programming and debugging would involve or God forbid, increase the workload of the mods. I don't know this for a fact as I've never directly asked admin, but I think it'd be a good guess.

My sweetie and I started and still maintain a message board. Quite simplistic compared to this site, and take my word for it, it's more work and time invested than you'd ever imagine.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/4/2007 9:35:05 AM

Nope, as explained in earlier posts on this Thread.

Sometimes the enforcements tend to sound punitive rather than instructive.

Can become somewhat punitive in Nature when "Instructive" simply does not arrive.

Related Links:Forums: Redundant Threads/Archival Value
 junipermoon
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 9:41:44 AM
here's what i started doing:

if i have an issue or a question, i will identify a handful of posters with the ability, insight and/or expertise to respond to my query or discussion topic. then, i email those people directly. this way i get information, advice or opinions directly relating to what i present. i don't have to put up with b.s. or off-topic comments. posters have contacted me off the board in much the same way for months. i finally got a clue and realized it's a remarkably efficient method of discussion and problem-solving.
 Deceased~
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/4/2007 11:49:41 AM

i will identify a handful of posters with the ability, insight and/or expertise to respond to my query or discussion topic.

I think that is good idea except the method can go wrong if one doesn't choose carefully whose advice they take. Here, you have the advantage of getting the official answer.

If you happened to get incorrect information from that chosen group, they would not be able to save your bacon. The chosen group here is the moderators and their advice will always be guaranteed to be correct. You can't go wrong with that.
 junipermoon
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 5:09:10 PM
If you happened to get incorrect information from that chosen group, they would not be able to save your bacon. The chosen group here is the moderators and their advice will always be guaranteed to be correct. You can't go wrong with that.

oops! guess i chose ambiguous wording. let me explain:

i didn't mean this precise thread or this precise issue. i actually spoke more generally and in a broader sense.

for example: i wanted to discuss a particular health issue that i couldn't find information about. i did a thread search and didn't find exactly what i needed. however, i noticed a few people who seemed knowledgeable in the topic. so, rather than start a thread that would get deleted before any valuable input could surface, i emailed 4 people directly. two of them had no experience with it, another hasn't gotten back to me, but the fourth shared personal experience (exactly what i had hoped for) and directed me to a resource i hadn't known about. so, i got the insight i wanted without a lot of hassle. i also make it clear that i will return the favor anytime. a simple, effective approach.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/4/2007 5:31:25 PM
rather than start a thread that would get deleted before any valuable input could surface, i emailed 4 people directly.

Yup, the Forums are but one Avenue for Information.

i did a thread search and didn't find exactly what i needed.

Then it would not be a redundant Thread.

If you are worried about your Thread being deleted, you can always e-mail any of the Forum Moderators to have the voting suspended and your Thread '"Set-Off" as discussed in the preceding Pages.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/10/2007 1:29:11 AM

Why delete Redundant Threads? What Difference does it make if we have Dozens of them floating around as long as we stay on Topic.

First and foremost, you need to understand what a Forum is, its Purpose and what Ends it serves.
          Let's Start with the Definition:

Forum noun, (pl. "fora" or "forums") An online Discussion Group. Online Services and Bulletin Board Services (BBS's) provide a variety of Forums, in which Participants with common Interests can exchange open Messages. Reading a Forum's Archives can be a good Way to obtain a basic Knowledge about a Topic, and it also provides a historical Perspective on Trends and Opinions.

That means, everything posted here, which meets the Criterias and Requirements of the Forum Rules and Forum Posting Guidelines will be kept for the Purpose of:

1.Basic Knowledge about a Topic

2.Historical Perspective on Trends

3.Historical Perspective on Opinions

"Historical" implies that it will be archived, read, surveyed or studied by future Readers.

"Trends" implies Change or the Way or Direction something is going or has gone over a Span of Time.

A Topic Thread started in 2003 on Fashions may favour Pastels for Evening Wear, by 2007 it may have shifted to bright and vivid Colours.

In this Example, popular "Opinion" from one Point in Time has changed to another over a Period of 3 Years. That is called a "Trend"

In yet another Instance, a Thread on Dating may have focused on Seduction Techniques on 'First Dates' back in 2004, but common Consensus may have swung Emphasis over to "Long Term" Goals by 2006. Reading such a Thread would clearly demonstrate a Change in the general "Opinion" indicating a different "Trend" over a Course of Time.

These are the Purposes of our Forums. Those who don't want to post to old Threads, request their Deletions, and feel Thread Redundancies are irrelevant simply do not understand the Concept of the Archival Nature of these Forums, do not understand that 'Redundant Threads' impede the Search Functions among all the redundant Clutter, do not understand it doesn't Matter if the Original Poster has long gone or Time has moved forward, as the Topic remains forever.

If we allowed 'Redundant Threads', the "Archival Value" of these Forums would be rendered VOID. Better than 90% of Forum Participants are its Readers, not Posters.

These are not "Fun in the Sun" Delete'em-When-We're-Done-With-Them Forums. Your posted Knowledge and Opinions are important, and forms Part of this timeless Database, your Contributions greatly appreciated.

Plentyoffish will be here for a long Time to come, not some 'Fly by Night' Dating Site. At some Point in the Future, these older Threads will serve as a Knowledge Base and Reflection on "Opinion" and "Trends" of the Past ...

... and this Archive will be its Mirror.

Related Links:Forums: Value of a Forum
Profiles: Forum Posting Requirements
Forums: How to make a New Thread
Forums: Posting of Links "Only" or Copyright Sources
Forums: WTF? Where is my Thread?
Forums: Why not delete Posts instead of Thread?
Forums: Redundant Threads - Crackdown
Forums: User Votes wrongly delete Threads
Forums: Excessive Reporting
Forums: False Reporting & Report Thread Abuse
Forums: How to prevent your Thread from being deleted

Forums: Chat vs. Discussion
Forums: Restorations of the Forums
Forums: A Fair Amount of gratuitous Text
Forums: Limit 2 Posts in last 10 Posts
 bucsgirl
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 4:50:07 PM
"I asked a simple question about men and handling depression."

The most common reason is redundancy, doing a thread search would show if it's been done. As far as understanding the rules, you can always ask for clarification of a specific question or topic here, the mods are incredibly patient and will spell it out so that you understand. Also as someone suggested, if you know another member who posts, email them and see if they can explain something.

Try not to get upset, throwing out profanities isn't helping anyone and could draw you a suspension. Don't take everything or really anything personally. It's just a discussion.
 techgirl27
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2007 8:59:09 AM
it was a Patriots thread, not a red sox one.
Good example of how some people are really asleep.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/20/2007 1:40:46 PM
What is redundancy?

Characterized by Similarity or Repetition; Duplicate.

I think its a power trip people get from deleting other posts just because they don't want to talk about it.

Moderators delete Posts, based on Criteria. If you are trying to insinuate we delete them because of "Powertripping" or other questionable Agendas, with these libelous Remarks will find yourself quickly on "Thin Ice".

Related Links:Forums: Why not delete Posts instead of Thread?

Forums: Redundant Threads/Archival Value
Forums: Redundant Threads - Crackdown
Forums: Redundant Threads
Forums: WTF? Where is my Thread?
Forums: How to make a New Thread

So sometimes others who get theres deleted.

No one has any Influence to "get" anything ... Posts are deleted based on Outlines of the Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines in the Links below:

Related Links:Forum Rules - Specific
Forum Posting Guidelines

And those forum rules make no sense by the way!!

Then its a Literacy or Laziness Issue. And if you cannot comply with them, your outta here.

I've read them and it stupid you should have to word it a surtan way.

^^^ definitely minimally a Literacy Issue.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2007 1:52:23 PM
"We're not in school people grow up!!"

I believe it's been suggested before that you persue the rules for forum posting. They're fairly simple and straighforward. There's thousands of users that post in the forums, we have all had threads deleted. Once someone starts a thread, it's up to the members to keep it chat-free and on topic. If it gets out of control, it's up to be deleted. No worries, it's the way the rules operate, I've never gotten a knot in my bloomers over it.

Speaking for myself, if I don't understand something, I write a mod or one of my other buddies here for clarification or just shrug it off that it doesn't make sense TO ME.

I'll tell you this, if there's something I can answer for you or help you with I'd be happy to. You can email me, I have no restrictions. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd be glad to help out a fellow member here.
 taupehat
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/1/2008 11:49:39 PM
One glaring problem with this notion of rapidly deleting threads considered redundant by one moderator or another is that the question of what is or is not redundant can be entirely too subjective. You, the moderator, might think at first glance that a thread is redundant, but the intent behind the post is entirely different from the intent of the N posts on the subject you've seen before. By deleting that thread, you'll never know, and the net result will be a ticked-off poster.

Another problem with the moderating philosophy here is that it flies in the face of people's expectations when they see "FORUMS" linked at the top. Whatever your own feelings on the usefulness of archiving information might be as a moderator, using a familiar BBcode format attached to a link saying "FORUMS" does set up a certain expectation on the part of the end user. If you'd be inclined to disagree with that, consider for a moment just how much energy has been expended in this forum by moderators justifying the policy of deleting redundant posts. Then try to find that kind of energy expended in other websites labeled "Forums." You see what I'm getting at? In the end, what you've done is tick people off by deleting their posts. You might have the best of intentions, and a deep underlying philosophy of information storage and availability, but that does very little to mitigate the fact that pretty much every time you delete or lock a thread, you've just alienated one or more people, and face it - most people aren't reassured in that event by discussions of information retrieval theory. They just want their dadburn posts back.

In the spirit of constructive criticism, what would I do? Well, first off, I'd suggest NOT labeling this discussion area "Forums" at all - whatever the selected dictionary definition of your choice might be for that word, the general consciousness about the meaning of it does not include such heavy-handed deletion of threads as is practiced here. In that vein, I'd also suggest using something other than BBCode-like software, as it's semiotically going to produce the same result as the word "Forum."

In the end, I'd say if you really want to be that strict about what information is archived here, everyone involved would probably be a lot happier if you just did pre-publication approval of all posts. Hey, I do the same thing on my own blog.
 seattlerain11
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/2/2008 8:42:00 AM
Lucretius Said:
There's a whole lot of censorship,lieing and Bull shit from the moderators and other members who just can't stand Freedom of Speach and Democracy.

Looking around... This is a private website. You have to be a member to speak. You're not on a public street corner where you can say anything you want, and this site is definitely NOT a Democracy.

The site exists within a Democracy which is what allows it to do as it wishes. If you don't like the RULES, since we are in a Democracy you are free to go start your own website and make the rules you want.

Some of the rules are restricting and others downright silly (in MY opinion), but they are needed to keep the place in order. Personally, I find it humorous that I can't type "****tail dress" (rhymes with clocktail), but by FAR this is the best dating site I've ever been on and I love the combination of dating personals AND the ability to chat and have debates.

James, Seattle
 taupehat
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/2/2008 8:43:14 AM

Yes, but does your blog have tens of thousands of posts everyday? Does it have thousands of new threads started everday? It would be impossible for our VOLUNTEER moderators to sit and go through everyone preapproving everyday.

Of course not. If it did, I'd have to deal with things differently - either use the ad $ to have a professional paid staff to manage comments, or throw the thing into forum format - understanding full well what the word "forum" means to the rest of the world out there.

Look, I completely understand the need to tighten up an out-of-control forum, and this site is certainly the sort of place where things can get out of hand if not monitored properly. My argument is that the pendulum has swung much too far in the opposite direction here, and the result will be a smaller pond.
 seattlerain11
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/2/2008 10:27:33 AM

My argument is that the pendulum has swung much too far in the opposite direction here, and the result will be a smaller pond.

As it was recently pointed out to me by a moderator, about 2% of POF users use the Forums, so I really don't think that argument holds any water. If 5% of the 2% leave over such things, well...... that's like, 20 people.... maybe.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of the overall work on POF is devoted to that noisy 2%.

James, Seattle, Washington, USA, Earth
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Deleted Threads - Redundant Threads - Old Threads