Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Moonchild51
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Potato SoupPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Not to change the topic, but doe a leek taste the same as an onion? Which is better for potato soup, a leek or an onion?
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 5
Potato Soup
Posted: 10/22/2007 4:53:55 PM
I like leeks better as they're milder than your typical white onions.
 Mozana
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Potato Soup
Posted: 10/22/2007 5:21:58 PM
Here are a few simple helps I can add to the advice you have received.
Start with butter (1/2 a stick?) in the bottom of your 2-quart heavy bottomed sauce pan.
Salt and lightly pepper 4 small diced potatoes while raw. (peeled or unpeeled)
Lightly "fry" your potato cubes until they begin to be transluscent.
Add finely chopped leek, onion or my favorite, green onion....or not
Stir it all around until everything is shiny with butter and the pan is starting to sizzle.
Add water to cover the potatoes and bring to a rolling boil.
OK, here is where EVERYONE probably will disagree with me....
Add a half a can of evaporated milk.......(or, if you insist, whole milk, or half and half, or cream.....)
And bring back up to almost a boil.
Depending on your taste, add a light powder of kosher/sea salt and pepper on top of the bowl or maybe a sprinkle of grated cheese or always good as is.
Serve now!
note...if you like your potatoes softer, boil longer....if you like your soup thicker, you can add some instant mashed potato buds or add a little corn starch (1 tsp) to the canned milk.
Really fast and tasty.
 dontmakecookies
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Potato Soup
Posted: 10/23/2007 12:14:53 AM
Moonchild, if you're infamiliar with leeks you really must try them. Look up a good potato and leek soup recipe. There's tons. Creamed it's fabulous. Cold it's vichyssoise.

Make sure you break them up and wash them very well because they are grown in a sandy like soil that gets in between the layers.
 Miss W
Msg: 13
Potato Soup
Posted: 10/16/2008 11:03:54 AM
I've never made either recipe but both have been praised to the heavens on a food forum that I post on. With soup season coming up, I plan on trying both. Enjoy!

LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
This soup is related to brotchán foltchep, a classic leek and oatmeal soup (also known as brotchán roy) that combines leeks, oatmeal and milk. This version is thickened with potatoes instead of oatmeal and flavored with chicken stock instead of milk. Serve it with savory whole wheat scones or slices of brown soda bread.

3 tablespoons butter
3 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise,
thinly sliced (about 4 1/2 cups)
2 large russet potatoes (about 18 ounces total), peeled, diced
4 1/2 cups (or more) chicken stock or canned low-salt broth

2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks; stir to coat with butter. Cover saucepan; cook until leeks are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes. Cover and cook until potatoes begin to soften but do not brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add 4 1/2 cups stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.

Puree soup in batches in processor until smooth. Return to saucepan. Thin with additional stock if soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Bring soup to simmer. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with chives and serve.

Serves 4.

California Dreaming's Baked Potato Soup

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup onion -- minced
1/4 cup celery -- minced
1/3 cup flour
3 cups chicken stock
2 medium potatoes -- cubed
1 teaspoon basil, fresh -- sweet
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sour cream
fresh parsley -- chopped
8 strips bacon -- crumbled
fresh chives -- chopped
cheddar cheese -- grated

Cook bacon slowly over medium-low heat until crisp, taking care not to brown the fat. Set bacon aside, leaving rendered fat in the pan.

Add onions and celery and sauté until tender.

Add Flour and mix well.

Add chicken stock and stir until all flour is dissolved. Continue to stir and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer. Add potatoes and let soup simmer until potatoes are tender (about 30 minutes).

Add heavy cream, sour cream, basil, and white pepper. Let simmer for another 10 minutes until soup is hot again.

Add chopped parsley. Crumble bacon strips and mix with chives and cheese. Garnish each portion of soup with the bacon/chives/cheese mixture.
 t-razz
Msg: 17
Potato Soup
Posted: 11/22/2008 6:04:25 PM
I do potato soup in my crock pot . Very simple. My kids love it. It is "German Style".

2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut in large wedges
2 large carrots, peeled, topped and tailed, cut in a fine dice
3 stalks celery cut in a fine dice
1 large onion cut in a fine dice
2 stock cubes (I use mccormicks veggie cubes but any cubes to make 4 cups broth or make your own chicken stock with some salt in it)
1 large bay leaf
1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground

Optional: Maggi seasoning or miso

Put all the ingredients in the crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours. Now here is the trick. There is a tool called a "ricer" that is a press you push the potatoes through. It pushes out rice grain sized strings of potato. This makes a nice fluffy, not gluey soup. If you don't have one, use a masher in the pot to mash the potatoes. You don't want it too creamy it should have some small bits of potatoes and veggies. I like mine soupy, my kids like it thick, almost like potato pudding.

There is a German seasoning that is like soy sauce but tastes like celery, called Maggi. You can get it in the import section of the grocery store. It really adds the authentic flavour. But if you don't have it you can dissolve a tsp of Miso in a bit of the soup and stir it in or add a couple dashes of soy sauce.

I made a pot of soup last week and didn't even get a bowl! The boys strained out the veggies, riced them and then only added a bit of broth back. Then they ate it all! I decided after that to make it again, every week through the winter. It is so soup satisfying, cheap too...maybe $5 for what should be 8 servings if you don't feed teenage boys.
 t-razz
Msg: 18
Potato Soup
Posted: 11/22/2008 6:07:48 PM
Oh, just another thought. There is no fat in this soup. It isn't a creamy rich soup with dairy in it. The smooth goodness comes just from the potatoes. I have a vegetarian daughter and a lactose free son and this soup works for both. Though I'm sure a cooked sausage sliced or some crumbled bacon would be a great garnish.

(Just had to post after reading "you take a stick of butter". I watch the food network and we make fun of Paula Dean for that. Every recipe....first you take a stick of butter, then you take another stick of butter.)
 Moonchild51
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Potato Soup
Posted: 12/19/2008 9:06:34 AM
Today would be a wonderful day for some nice hot potato soup! Am up to my eyeballs in snow! lol
Definately printing this page off and going to see what I can do to make some up! Thanks all
 Unfold
Msg: 23
Potato Soup
Posted: 8/20/2009 7:11:31 PM
I just made a Killer Batch of Potato Soup from the collage of recipes here, thanks! I used chunked ham and diced up zucchini as well & it turned out Great! =)

Molly Maude
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Potato Soup
Posted: 8/20/2009 7:37:50 PM
I've been making potato soup all my life and had no idea anyone actually used a RECIPE! I just start (usually but not always) by cooking bacon till it's crisp ... drain off most of the fat but keep the bacon bits at the bottom of the pot ... put the strips of bacon on a paper towel to dry while, into the pot, you add potatoes, celery, onions and water ... sometimes carrots ... usually not ... then you just boil it until it SMELLS heavenly and looks rite ... I always add Lowry's Seasoned Pepper ... quite a lot! ... and at the last minute just as you're serving it, you crumble up the bacon bits ... and put them on top of each bowl ... SOMETIMES I add a dollop of thick cream ... usually not ... some people like a dollop of sour cream ... (I don't!) ...

sometimes, if everyone's starving and the soup doesn't "look rite" yet ... I dump in some Betty Crocker Instant Potato Buds ... shhhh ... that's a secret! so don't spread that one around! sometimes you have to add some salt ...

oh ... and, if you want clam chowder, skip the whole bacon thing and pour in clam juice with the water ... add whole baby clams after the soup "looks rite!"

my children LOVE clam chowder ... I once accidently omitted the celery tho ... what a disaster ... otherwise, yum!
 jojoaus
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Potato Soup
Posted: 8/25/2009 4:26:58 AM
Soupperb recipes.. (sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!! couldnt resist!!) I make a potato cheese soup for cold winter days. And I wholeheartedly agree that leeks and spuds in a soup are a match made in heaven!!
As a by-the-way... leeks and mushrooms are another godly pairing... not in soup mebbe but in quiches, pies, casseroles.... you name it. I droooooooool at the altar of the humble spud
 Mia1960
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Potato Soup
Posted: 8/25/2009 1:55:35 PM
agrees here..i always use canned milk....never tried with leek before thou...yummy
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >