Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zangie
Msg: 54
view profile
History
World's shortest date?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have to agree with those posters who say brutal honesty is a character defect. Honesty for the sake of honesty , if it is hurtful, has no purpose other than to show meanness/arrogance.

My shortest date was similar to who.me..maybe it was the same guy?..lol

We had tallked on the phone, and emailed for a few weeks. He had cancelled one date already due to business that came up. He invited me to dinner. When I got to the restaurant, he was sitting at the bar. I assumed ( I know), that we were waiting for a table because it was very busy. I had one glass of wine, we talked about a few things we hadn't already covered. When the bartender asked me if I wanted another drink, I also said no. The date stands up and says, I'll walk you to your car? I was stunned. There was no mistake about the dinner. Of course, he also turned out to be one the scariest , rudest guys I've met ...he tried to physically accost me at the car?
 tdh46
Msg: 55
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/24/2007 11:27:33 AM
We are so quick to take this woman apart. Based on the Ops memory from years ago, I can't remember what someone said to me yesterday, yet alone remember a quote verbatim from years ago. There is the OPs version, and there is this woman version, and somewhere in the middle is th real truth.

The Op seems like a very nice guy and i am sure he is telling this story to the best of his recollection. But can we say for sure that it happened exactly as described by the OP? things have a way of taking on bigger than life meanings as time goes by, especially if it's something that was in some way dramatic to us.

But even with that, if the story is close to what the Op remembers, The lady in question is surely lacking in social skills. regardless to what her motives were, she went about it all wrong. You can catch alot more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.
 rescuebiker
Msg: 56
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/24/2007 12:08:04 PM
Well, a least you got to see your date. Last night about an hour before my date was to take place. The lady called me and said her stomach was in knots, and that she guessed she was still in love with her ex-husband. Who had found someone else and she and he had been divorced for 2 years.
Does anyone know the real meaning of Divorce and EX ? It means one of you didn't want the other one, and one of you did something about it. In other words, it is time to move on and find someone else that will appreciates you.
I have had seven different woman contact me and either they stopped taking my calls or e-mails or didn't show up. Did you all read what I just said. They CONTACTED ME!First. One said she would never stand me up. So, I drove 1 1/2 hours away. Made contact with her and she said she would be there, in 5 to 10 minutes.1 hour later, she still didn't show up.My Truck is a Chevy z71- Fire engine red withn a gold bottom. An Earnhardt tag on the front and a ceritified Georgia Firefighter Tag on the back. So, either way she came in, it would be seen.
I don't know what is wrong with these woman today. Even my female friends, don't understand the woman of today. They get on a dating site and make first contact and then disapear or don't show up. Are you here to try and date someone or just want to play head games. I hear you gals complain about this and I know there are players on here, and I'm sorry for that! But, I always, at least meet the person.
Sorry man, your date did the about-face on you-Her Lose!
 tdh46
Msg: 58
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/24/2007 12:19:13 PM
Honestly there have been times when i showed up for a meeting and wanted to run like hell(I once met a man in drag for christ sakes) but i always stick around till the end of the "date". But i must admit there were times i wished i had the balls to be totally honest about the deception in their profiles. If given a choice between hurting someones feelings and killing a few hours with them, I will kill the few hours.

But i still have to give props to those who have the courage to call these people on their deceptions. A person being deceptive in their profiles should be called on it, how else will they change their deceptive ways.
 tdh46
Msg: 62
BS = Karma
Posted: 10/24/2007 2:13:11 PM
" I agree with you so much about the BS. No smoking, usually means a person does not smoke. a few extra pounds does not mean 200 extra. divorced is not the same as "going to be"

Thank you earthmother5. These people seem to think it's perfectly of to BS people online, then they call them Shallow or rude when they get rejected because of their BS.
 tdh46
Msg: 65
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/24/2007 2:47:29 PM
"OP, if you had looked exactly like the photograph you showed her, height and weight.... She wouldn't have walked off. there is no other explanation"

Thank you argula for stating what was very obvious to some of us. The Op was deceptive in some way before the meet, The lady called him on it. they are so busy gutting the poor woman for being rude, while the rest of us want to examine the Ops role in the senario.
 lucilou
Msg: 68
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/24/2007 2:58:47 PM
Wow!!! Fishy? I dont think I could do that to anybody, regardless of how bad one looks. Respect another human beings is a big thing in our culture. Sorry that it happened to you.
 zangie
Msg: 71
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/24/2007 4:00:26 PM
People who are deliberately deceptive is one thing...I would say something about that. Maybe I'm lucky, I haven't met anyone yet who wasn't who they said they were, at least as far as physical looks.

I, however, wouldn't assume he was being deceptive. Her response could be for so many reasons that we might not even understand. And I don't get from the Op's story that he was being deceptive. Even if she didn't like him for some reason...she had opportunities before hand to find things out. It is still wrong , IMHO, to say what she did. It could have been handled nicer. And if it was about him not looking the same, she still could have done better.
It's just my opinion anyway.

Edit: btw, some people do photograph well, some don't. I usually am happy with mine. But, some attractiveness also comes from personality, which may either improve, or decline their looks. I think what's attractive about me is much more obvious in person. I've had men tell me I look better in person. And my profile is dead on honest..and the pix are recent.
 Goodnight MoonFish
Msg: 77
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/24/2007 6:45:58 PM
Hehe,

I have one to share. Last Friday I had a date set up with a women that lived slightly more than an hour away. After about two months of messages, text messages, emails and long phone calls we finally were set to meet in person. So I drive from the western edge of Orange County all the way down to Oceanside.

We finally meet. Big hugs and glad we finallly get to meet small talk. We compliment each other and hold hands as we walk to the Oceanside Pier. After a few minutes we walk back towards the parking area we met. She then tells me that the date is over. Total time of date 25 minutes.

She said she had warned me that she didn't want to stay out late. Our date lasted from 9:43 to 10:18p. WTF, I drive more than an hour for a date that lasted less time than for me to get ready for the date. Crazy I tell you.
 EC22
Msg: 83
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/25/2007 8:12:50 AM

Nino..a first meet is not a date...and 30 minutes is more than enough time for the both of you to decide if there's any real life attraction.

This is semantics. IMO the first meeting is a date. A date doesn't have to be anything fancy, romantic, or special. It can be something low key such as taking a walk in a park or having a couple of drinks. If there isn't any mutual interest and attraction, then there isn't another date. Very simple. I agree that a person can determine the amount of physical attraction to another person relatively quickly. The problem is that many women ( and some men as well ) expect the other person to "knock their socks off" within minutes of meeting each other. Otherwise they lose interest in the other person.

Op, so sorry you're not willing to take the good with the bad....but again....line is that if she walked off that way, you did indeed misrepresent your height or weight to her, and you know it. Otherwise, she'd have stayed to chat with you.

How do you that OP was dishonest? Sometimes people can form an fantasy image of a person based on a few pics, profile, and email/phone conversations. When the 2 people see other in person, the real image is different than the fantasy image. It doesn't necessary mean that the OP was lying. Some people are just flat out rude and disrespectful. A woman ended a date with me after 5 minutes and I was completely honest with my appearance. In fact I was more honest than she was about her appearance. She only used a face shot and face shots can be deceptive.
 brock11
Msg: 85
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/25/2007 9:21:44 AM
Also...JMHO, but a first meeting for a drink, etc. should be considered a "first encounter", NOT a "date".
A "date" would be the "I AM interested, so would you like to meet again on....." conversation and plans.
Follow up is a date...first meetings are just that.

I respect your opinion, but it doesn't really matter if the first encounter is called a meeting or a date. It's different terminology to describe the same thing. For example if I considered the first encounter a meeting, I could have a meeting followed by a date, then decide after the date that she wouldn't be a match for me. Unless there is something about a woman that is completely unappealing or a dealbreaker to me, I would see her at least twice. Sometimes there isn't "instant chemistry" on the first encounter because you don't know the other person that well or one or both people might be a little bit nervous or shy at first. Not because of a lack of mutual interest or physical attraction. Regardless of whether I called the first encounter a meeting or date, if I lose interest in a woman or vice versa, then we wouldn't see each other again.
 tallblonde111
Msg: 95
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/25/2007 12:50:49 PM

This is semantics. IMO the first meeting is a date. A date doesn't have to be anything fancy, romantic, or special. It can be something low key such as taking a walk in a park or having a couple of drinks. If there isn't any mutual interest and attraction, then there isn't another date.

I would consider the first meeting a semi-blind date. You haven't met the other person face to face. Yet you have seen the other person's profile and picture. You had some phone/email conversations with the other person. At least you would have a glimpse of what the other person is like before meeting him/her in person.

Sometimes people can form an fantasy image of a person based on a few pics, profile, and email/phone conversations. When the 2 people see other in person, the real image is different than the fantasy image. It doesn't necessary mean that the OP was lying.

I also agree with the point about the fantasy image. I think that some people have expectations that too high/unrealistic for the first date in particular and internet dating in general.
 Who.Me
Msg: 96
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/25/2007 1:16:46 PM
AAAWWWW Fishy....

YOUR WELCOME!!!!!
 Goodnight MoonFish
Msg: 99
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/27/2007 7:38:56 PM
Argula. Thank you for you input.

I should put this particular first date in perspective to all my other first dates.

The dozen or so first dates that I have had so far here on POF have all lasted a minimum of an hour and half to two hours. These dates have been something as simple as meeting for drinks to full on dinners. Maybe I have been lucky and even if there was no so called real life attraction between us. I have been told by each of my dates that they had a great time and would do it again even if it was just to be friends.

I was definately put off by her and the 25 minute date that occured. Especially when several of our previous phone calls had lasted 2-3 hours.
 Goodnight MoonFish
Msg: 100
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/27/2007 8:03:11 PM
shortandsweet57

Before throwing a blast at me and assuming that I have no reason to be put off.
You should get some basic information first.

YES I MEET HER AT A QUARTER TO TEN, BEACUASE THAT IS THE TIME SHE REQUESTED TO GET TOGETHER.

I did not request nor suggest that time. She is a nurse and got off at 8:00pm. When you throw in her commute time, showering, dressing, makeup and hair. Our meeting time which she asked me to do ended up being that late.

Now lets recount. I get babysitting for my two kids on a friday night which is not easy. I do my own long prep thing to get ready for the date, which I do to make a good impression. I drive more than an hour for a date that lasts 25 minutes and this is after two months of texting, emailing, messaging and long phone calls. Also I left out the two previously cancelled dates by her.

So after all that, please tell how she did me a favor by gracing me with her 25 minute presence.
 .Frank
Msg: 105
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/28/2007 7:36:17 AM
"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them." Malcolm Forbes
 jlizzy
Msg: 106
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/28/2007 7:46:41 AM
Some people are just insensitive, cruel and superficial!

I had a very short date a few weeks ago. Met a guy in the mountains! We decided it would be fun. Due to time eventually I had been saying maybe we should meet somewhere closer to home but he liked the idea of the mountains still so fair enough...we met and an hour later he had to rush home to cook dinner shortest date I've ever had...

In fairness though he has to look after his mum who's sick. We're still in contact here and there but nothing's come of a second date....:/ I really thought we;d be a great hit!
 jlizzy
Msg: 107
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/28/2007 7:50:43 AM
Btw -just took a look at your profile there-very impressive...her loss what a dumbass the lady was...
 .Frank
Msg: 110
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 10/29/2007 12:18:47 PM
Just answering another post.
 joesey
Msg: 120
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 11/2/2007 12:25:18 PM
it happens..... I made arrangements to meet a guy at one of the local pubs,, about a year ago, I took about 2 hours getting ready and looked magnificent ... as I was walking from my car I noticed a guy sitting in a truck watching me... come to find out it was my "date" he proceeded to get out of his truck and tell me after seeing me he was not interested.. I was devistated for about 2 seconds,,, then I realized i must have been too much for him lol one must know there limitations .... after leaving I stopped by my sisters pub for a few shorts ones... and was telling the story about what had happened ... no one believed me .. which tells me it was his problem ,,, you have to kiss alot of frogs so to speak .. and this guy must have been a toad .... I have told that story so many times and we still get a good laugh over it... some guys are just to insecure to have a good relationship with a smart good looking woman ... there loss
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 121
World's shortest date?
Posted: 11/3/2007 12:14:41 AM
I had a 5 minute date once... it might have even been less.

We emailed once or twice, exchanged phone numbers. I think she called me and I happened to be nearby, so I suggested meeting at a local coffeeshop. She agreed.

She was very nice and friendly on the phone, but when I sat across from her... she was very icy. She wouldn't make eye contact, kept looking around the room, didn't make much of an effort for conversation and just generally seemed annoyed.

I know what you're thinking... and I *do* look like my pictures. In any case, I got up, said "well, obviously you don't want to be here, so I'm going to take off" and I left.
 JazzFan333
Msg: 127
World's shortest date?
Posted: 11/18/2007 8:08:51 AM
A few general comments about this thread. I think some people have unrealistic expectations for the first encounter. They expect "sparks" right away or they lose interest. Unless a man was completely unattractive or had a poor personality ( dishonestly, rudeness, annoying, boring etc ) I would go out with a man 2-3 times before making any type of a decision. Some people can be nervous or shy on the first date/meet. Sometimes you can begin to click with someone on the 2nd or 3rd meeting/date when you get to know them better. If there is no mutual interest after the 2nd or 3rd encounter, then both people can move on.

I also think on whether to call the first encounter a meeting or a date is largely semantics. If I go out with a man 2-3 times, it doesn't necessary mean that I'm overly interested in him at that point. It just simply means that there was nothing about him that was an obvious dealbreaker.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 128
World's shortest date?
Posted: 3/16/2017 2:47:00 PM
Sorry but I have ZERO sympathy for you or anyone else who uses your SOP. That would be most people today.

You broke the #1 rule for any Serious/Sane person using OLD (IMO) because of the 9th word in your OP. Her doing an about face almost immediately after your F2F appears to me to be only "sharp" move either of you made. Better late than never though.

It's pretty easy to imagine in the almost 10 years since the OP, things have gotten much worse.

Obviously, for whatever reason... SHE decided that YOU were... So Much Cooler Online.
 Wilkes_Barre_Candy
Msg: 129
VERN TROYER IS 2 FOOT 8
Posted: 3/16/2017 4:24:17 PM
I THOUGHT THIS WAS GONNA BE ABOUT DATING MIDGETS/DWARVES...

:0(
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 130
view profile
History
World's shortest date?
Posted: 3/20/2017 10:00:05 AM

With building excitement, I recognized her immediately as she submitted to the metal-detector routine and thought, "She looks just like her pictures!"

Wait, a metal detector upon Arriving, and not Leaving to get On a plane? Someone explain this to me, as I've never seen this before in my travels.

Finally, she saw me, and with several long strides of her beautiful legs reached where I was standing. Unsmiling, she looked me up and down a couple of times, shook her head, and said, "I don't think so!" She spun back around, and I watched her perfect derriere roll from side to side, keeping time with the clacking of her heels on the terrazzo as she headed back in the direction of her car. I was left agape and, for once, speechless.

I'm thinking this story is overdone. But I'll buy that OP went thru a situation where he was stung just as much as if this Did happen. OP should realize though that if you didn't look like your pics & stature described, one has every right to blow you off. If a gal came remotely close to doing that, after pen-paling you for quite some time -- you obviously painted an inaccurate picture of yourself during that time, so fault's on you.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >