Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oggers
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Creationism or Evolution?Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I think that the Evolution theory was created ....... or was it that the Creationist theory evolved ...

The scientific standpoint has to be the one to follow here , for all sane individuals. Creationism cannot possibly stand up to scientific rigour.

The story of the creation in the bible is an analogy for the 4.5 billion years of evolution that preceded the gospel writers, in a way that uneducated folk could understand.

Anyway, no such thing as "god" in my opinion ....
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Creationism or Evolution?
Posted: 2/27/2008 10:56:01 AM
the real difference between the two is that Evolution is a scientific theory backed up by evidence, logic, experiment and research while Creationism is a religious myth based loosely on extremely ancient religious texts which pre-date modern understanding of science

Evolutionary biology should only be 'compared' to another scientific theory, otherwise it's like trying to decide whats best out of hot air balloons and parallel parking, umbrellas or poetry, elephants and neo-keynesian economics

the two aren't comparable, they don't come from compatible backgrounds.
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2008 6:04:35 AM
Dinkie Doo

Can I just say I love the Clarkson Dance Move (Looooosers!)
Also, i think nowadays that Marx is wrong and in fact, opiates are the opiate of the masses
 diabolikk
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2008 5:41:49 AM
A difficult question that has unhinged simplesness of thought in anti-religion and rigidness of attitude in anti-science.

As a Christian, I believe in God as The Creator.

However, I also believe He has created us such complex and inquisitive beings so that we relentlessly need knowledge to expand our horizons.

Enter science as His creation.

We need answers and we must make questions so He created a past (evolution) and a future (space) so that we can expand our thought and feed our curiosity.

I will never be able to believe there is no creator; there are simply far too much evidence that there is one. Just our status as humans and not mere animals is there to testify.

I will never be able not to believe in science, it is the very reason why we were given brains. If He never intended for us to be inquisitive, He would have never given us thought. Animals do not progress because they have no inquisitive thought. We are that special.

I will always believe that it is secular arrogance and religious self elevation to mini-prophethood that blind us to the connection between science and creed.
 TheHumanist
Msg: 104
Posted: 5/30/2008 8:40:28 AM
If they are going to teach creationism in school they may as well teach the Egyptian creation story, the ancient Greek creation story, the Buddhist creation story, and those other religions creation stories as well! Whats fair for one religion is fair for all the others. I think people of non-christian religions need to get togeather and lobby in Washington to offset the christian hegamony in Washington.
 CheshireCatalyst
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 12:20:18 PM
To side with the creationist theories, you must, without question or exception, be willing to reject science, logic and real life, in general. Every argument a creationist puts forth to "disprove" Evolution has really been a mangling of pseudo-science, logical fallacies, exaggerations and misinformation. You also rely on the same, recycled, refuted arguments. There has not been one new creationist argument recently put forth. It's still attacking radiometric dating with the abhorrent notion that decay rates vary, and it's still lying about the Law of Entropy to make it seem as if it makes evolution impossible. Nothing has changed.

I do feel that many creationists rationalize these thought processes because they honestly think it's the truth. If you believe that the Bible is correct about the creation of the Universe, then you must believe that it is completely literal, as no contextualist would ever interpret a story which contradicts physical evidence and is contradicted by another story in the same book, in the same section.

Lastly, in order to deny evolution, you must believe that scientists are untrustworthy servants of the devil, whose agenda is to distort facts and make it seem as if evolution is the truth, when, in reality, they're not telling us about the volumes of "facts" that the Creationists do. All branches of science that give evidence for an ancient Earth are just flunkies for the Evolutionists. Astrophysics, geology, physics, astronomy...none are credible branches of science, only beams in the support structure of Evolution.

In the spirit of critical thinking......
 Marmite baby
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 1:56:53 PM
Definitely believe in evolution, but did God cause the primieval soup to be alive? Or was it electricity or some other energy? Know nothing about it. Radiation?
Does God(which one?) actually have anything to do with it?
 andyaa
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 3:45:11 PM
Where do people get Creationism from anyway?

Genesis 1.1 Be-reshith bara Elohim [Alef Taw] eth ha-shamayim we-eth ha-arets

‘Bara’

The word bara, translated "created."

The word 'create' is an abstract, it would be a foreign concept to the ancient Hebrews.

The word was NEVER to mean create. The word means strictly "to cut out" or "to carve out," and hence from the idea of sculpture it came to mean "to put the finishing touch," "to polish," and so "to perfect."

The Greek word kosmos, which in the New Testament is applied to it, basically means "order,"

In essence the universe was initially a kind of chaos awaiting the ‘Hand of God’ to bring it into order by manipulation. To mould, carve, form and in a sense perfect

If you want to read more about the innacuracy of the opening line of genesis read my posting on

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/11506982datingPostpage2.aspx

message 50

The bible up to chapter 2.4 talks about the big bang and evolution and NOT any creation.
 try1more
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 9:09:12 PM
anyone heard "the second comming" by vaugn meader. very funny though you need to "get" the american culture to "get" some of the jokes.

i found this somewhere. may be useful on persistant door knockers.

If God is willing to prevent evil, but is not able to
Then He is not omnipotent.

If He is able, but not willing
Then He is malevolent.

If He is both able and willing
Then whence cometh evil?

If He is neither able nor willing
Then why call Him God?

after reading some of the posts on here
it's not surprising that religion gets blamed for wars is it?

what gets me is if they really are so sure they are right.
why do they act like someone has just proved what a mug they are?

funny how the creationists dont require proof of creation. then come out with some pretty wild arguments when shown any proof of evolution. of which the flu bug is surely a good example.
i've heard the one about the print shop explosion, which is what i mean by wild. that is. comparing the results of something happening to inanimate matter, with the results of the same thing happening to living matter!
 co94
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/20/2009 5:38:11 PM
#1 there is no genetic code or DNA allowing sequence mutation through the process of evolution.
#2 evolution is a random act of no intelligence nor governed by an intelligent source, therefore it cannot govern or manipulate a genetic code or DNA.
#3 molecular cells and Dna are automatically programmed with intelligence to govern themselves and reject outside intervention( other than human intervention) and non-governing bodies, entities or illusions.
#4 scientists claim to evolve organisms in their labs within weeks/months, that is not evolution because evolution is the slow/gradual process of physical change durant millions of years. The only thing they have done is manipulate the growth expanse of the organism and nothing else!
#5 Evolution is a theory taken from a prophesy in the bible ( 2 peter chapter 3) by a madman named Charles Darwin and his non- educated partner Alfred R Wallace of whom both had no educational background in any field of science.
#6 Should I keep going
#7 One more for God- cro-magnon man, neanderthal man and modern man according to science are very closely related and all three lived at the same time leading scientists to believe that we are all descendants from Adam and this is a proven fact, get out of the dark ages of evolution and come join the rest of us , who are in today's science.
 oggers
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 5:09:28 AM
I believe in Creative Evolutionism ....

... or was it Evolving Creativity ?
 Cleverkitten
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 9:49:49 AM

I believe in Creative Evolutionism ....

... or was it Evolving Creativity ?

I believe I Evolved Creatively
 Talk4England
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2009 9:57:11 AM
Faith is stupid and causes soooo much harm both on the macro level (religion) and the micro (people relinquishing their own destiny).
How faith ever got to be perceived as a positive attribute really puzzles me.
 andyaa
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 10:25:05 AM

In some respects the bible is a very accurate story. We know there was a flood. It even shows that Adam and Eve weren't the first man and woman, Eve was Adam's second partner, Lilith was his first - and returned to her people who dwelled outside the garden. The Old Testament is the story of the world and of the Jews. Adam and Eve were the progenitors of the Jews, not mankind, just God's chosen people.

You were doing really well up till this point Jim

You are reading too much of the King James Version of events, which, is the poorest of all the modern translations of the Old Testament.

There is no mention in the bible or anyone resembling Lilith, or Adam having a first wife. If you read the original Hebrew Old testament, up to chapter 2.4 they talk about how the universe, space, time came into being, how the earth was formed, and how animals appeared including man. From chapter 2.4 the bible then changes slightly and talks about [god] and how he made man in detail after his own image. The King James Version of the bible makes it look like 2 separate events, which of course it isn't, it is 1 event described twice.

If you want to read a little bit about Lilith try this blog page

http://ejmmm2007.blogspot.com/2006/11/lilith-semen-demon-or-feminist-icon.html

There's a lot of misunderstanding of the bible, which leads to what people come up with on here.
 andyaa
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 11:47:42 AM
Between 1917 to the 1960s there had been no less than a dozen versions or theories of the universes. All of them had been proposed on some extents with mathematical support.

There was the Static Einstein Universe,
The De sitter Universe,
The Lemaitre Universe
as well as some versions and variations of Friedmann Universes ...
and many others, such as the T. Gold/F. Holye Steady State Universe,

but now only a couple of them are left under discussions...

There are also 5 versions of String Theory with 5 versions of mathematics. Thanks to Minkowski who started the 4th dimension, now these String Theories can suggest that the universe may have extra dimensions ranging from 10, 11 to even 26 dimensions.

Get real, science has got no more idea on how we got here or how the universe works anymore than the church has.
 andyaa
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 1:19:52 PM

Not really. The effects of dark matter are observable

This is going to get fun...

They have a theory called the big bang...but then they need another theory to support this called the expanding universe...but the numbers don’t add up...so they need another theory so they come up with dark matter to explain a theory to explain a theory lol and they call the bible screwed up pmsfl

Now of course they have to come up with a theory to support 'dark matter' because 'dark matter' doesn't do everything as expected...see a pattern yet.
 andyaa
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 2:29:24 PM

The universe is expanding universally in all directions - that is an established fact.

NO it is not an established fact, it is a plausible theory that explains red dopler shift for some people. However, red dopler shift can also be explained by the Shapirro effect. If the red dopler shift can be explained by the Shapirro effect then we do not have an expanding universe or the big bang, hence it is not a proven fact as you have been lead to believe and would have others believe but just one theory in many.

If you want to see and hear some pretty strong evidence that the Big Bang occurred simply leave a television set or radio tuned between stations.

The cosmic background radiation was predicted by Eddington in 1926 as the temperature of starlight, again another equally plausible theoretical explanation…strong evidence for the big bang but far from fact
The big bang theory relies on an ever growing number of hypothetical entities
The biggest myth you have is popularity, however popularity does not guarantee validity.
 andyaa
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2009 6:11:27 AM

Interesting, you could use the same argument about religion:

I do, check out my posting on this thread MSG 121 The ‘creation’ myth, the word bara in Hebrew was never meant to be translated into the word create, the word create is an abstract word, it doesn’t exist in real life. It is better translated to the word ‘form’ or ‘mould’

if God, the all powerful created the world in 6days... why did he need a day off to rest? God gets tired?

Firstly, God is not all powerful, even in the bible there are clear examples of this.

Created…I said about this

6 days, another classic miss quote. Even a day being 1000 years is wrong, just trying to make it look good. The Hebrews use the word ‘yom’ to describe any period of time from a literal 1 day morning to evening up to a season right through to an infinite amount of time. It all depends on the context it was being used. The King James Version couldn’t understand geological time frames as in millions of years to define say for example the Cambrian period. If I said that was the beginning and end of Cambrian period you would know what I mean…well I hope anyway. I explain about it better here...

MSG 2
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11345658.aspx

Why did he need a rest…Rest again isn’t exactly the right word. Here he had basically finished and wanted to see how man and the planet would develop. God was very much active and visited man a lot during the early times, talked and walked interacted on almost a daily basis.

An interesting point, there is never any mention of God wanting to be worshiped. This comes later on in history. The only mention of anyone was Enoch who understood 'elohim' who is not God but what God is, it is the energy of God so to speak and Enoch was 'taken'...If you watch stargate you would equate it to being ascended...sorry just an interesting little side bar.

With regards to Lot and his ‘lot’. He offered his daughters up knowing that the ‘Angels’ who had follows satan to earth were screaming homosexual rapists and not interested in women. They only wanted to bugger the boys. Offering up his daughter’s instead was genius, because he knew that they wouldn’t accept them and move on.

With regards to incest, even with evolution this would have HAD to happen. If you had produced a viable different species different offspring these would have only come from 1 genetic parent. Those siblings would only be able to reproduce from mating with their brothers and sisters. Mating with other members or the parent species would only have produced infertile offspring. Don’t forget Darwin talks about the divergence within a species and theorises if this continues that there would inevitably be a divergence of the species. This has still not conclusively been shown or proved but is mentioned in the bible and is the strongest contender thus far.

It never fails to amuse me how many people are prepared to quote the King James Bible
 co94
Msg: 195
Posted: 2/2/2009 7:56:18 PM
Dear Ebrenn, how about all the real scientists who actually work for a living and not those arm-chair so called scientists that don't know the actual definition of evolution. A theory is assumed based on an illusion/ belief and the facts they claim to have is very little, the actual step by step of sequence mutation is not there! Your scientists have a lot of skeletons in their closet that you are not aware of , because they refuse to share the proof agianst them and evolution. Your scientists know there is no such thing, but they aren't about to tell you that. But hey, who am I to tell you differrent my sweet , we all have our free will to believe in whatever, right? I am not here to convert anyone, preach to anyone or make you go to church. Keep in mind, there is no genetic code to allow sequence mutation and evolution was taken from a prophesy in the bible by a man who had no educational background in any field of science and his side kick was uneducated period. I would not believe in two misguided individuals who the only thing they did was daydream of stupid theories. You are better off believing in curious george!

with due respect I say this....
 andyaa
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:37:59 PM

When those atom colide the big bang theory will be proved as factual.

I hope so because that will prove the bible to be correct.

What people don't realise is that the bible talks about and explains evolution but more talks about your next step in the evolutionary line, science only tries to discover how evolution works
 andyaa
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 12:58:19 PM

re written hundreds of times to get to todays version.

Actually that’s a fallacy believed by the less educated. The dead sea scrolls proved that the old testament is 99% accurate. It's just the idiot translators that have got it wrong. If you go by the King James Version as most of you seem to enjoy quoting then yes you will remain ignorant of what it really says.

In the beginning god created the heavens and the earth...

It even sounds like a fairy story, if you look at each word in the Hebrew original it says nothing of the sort

Sill there's no point in telling people this as they believe what they want to believe religious or atheist
 andyaa
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2009 2:25:33 PM
The New Testament is a complete fallacy, written by mankind for the benefit of mankind.

The New Testament is for Christianity, it isnt the bible unless you happen to be a christian. The Old Testament is the original bible.

For one example the bible states you can sell your eldest daughter into slavery.

Here for example you are talking about Exodus 21:7, the word they translate to slave is the Hebrew word ebed you might recognise it as the root of other words, it better translates to 'serve'

Thus, the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, prophets, David, Solomon and other kings are regularly called slaves or servants of Yahweh (Exod 32:13; Lev 25:55; 1 Sam 3:9; Ezra 9:11, etc.).

So you see it is all to easy to get sucked in. Dont forget that you could only be sold into servitude for a max of 6 years and only to another Israelite, the Jews have always been against slavery, look at the history of Masada. This was also legal in this country up to a 100 years ago.
 Cleverkitten
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2009 3:38:07 PM
Can I say Fullers Earth ? isn't that what original cat litter was made from before it evolved into wood shavings or nicely scented colour co-ordinated pellets created for those with more money than sense.

Yet again I have evolved creatively or created evolutionally or more likely my eyes have glazed over and I've gone to bed
 andyaa
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2009 5:05:52 PM
And we see a child taking a dolls house out of a heating duct that her brother had put it in to be nasty to her. The people were make believe people in a dolls house, the film was a con

Is this what you are thinking of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOpvpiQP_g

It was a hammer house of horrors...Child's play
 Talk4England
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2009 5:00:42 PM
^^^^^^^^The Eloi & Morlocks of HG Wells Time machine ^^^^^^

(Wrote this before looking at link and can't now delete!)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >