Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TheStefano
Msg: 26
why are the bees leaving ?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
backwardduck, yeah, I am betting on GMO crops.
 Just alittle crazy
Msg: 27
why are the bees leaving ?
Posted: 6/23/2008 3:40:44 PM
You know whats even more interesting about the bees that are missing. There are no dead ones laying around. Weird? So if they got sick and died they would be dead all over the place. Maybe its the poles shifting messing them up? They are lost!
 OneBlend
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 4:39:37 PM

Is this the canary in the coal mine? Do you think Monsanto cares? They don't want crops that pollinate, perhaps this is part, or just a lucky benefit of the plan.

It's definitelty the canary in the coal mine. And after reading article after article there seems to be a general concensus the the "Globalization of Agriculture" via genetically engineered plants (and even animals), has resulted in a blowback of huge proportions - but not "profits". Globalization seems to be the theme our administration and presidential candidates keep shoving at us .. anything for corporate profits .. aye???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/events/reith_2000/lecture5.stm

The globalisation of the food system is destroying the diversity of local food cultures and local food economies. A global monoculture is being forced on people by defining everything that is fresh, local and handmade as a health hazard. Human hands are being defined as the worst contaminants, and work for human hands is being outlawed, to be replaced by machines and chemicals bought from global corporations. These are not recipes for feeding the world, but stealing livelihoods from the poor to create markets for the powerful.

People are being perceived as parasites, to be exterminated for the "health" of the global economy.

Sustainability requires the protection of all species and all people and the recognition that diverse species and diverse people play an essential role in maintaining ecological processes. Pollinators are critical to fertilisation and generation of plants. Biodiversity in fields provides vegetables, fodder, medicine and protection to the soil from water and wind erosion.

As humans travel further down the road to non-sustainability, they become intolerant of other species and blind to their vital role in our survival.

In 1992, when Indian farmers destroyed Cargill's seed plant in Bellary, Karnataka, to protest against seed failure, the Cargill Chief Executive stated, "We bring Indian farmers smart technologies which prevent bees from usurping the pollen". When I was participating in the United Nations Biosafety Negotiations, Monsanto circulated literature to defend its herbicide resistant Roundup ready crops on grounds that they prevent "weeds from stealing the sunshine". But what Monsanto calls weeds are the green fields that provide Vitamin A rice and prevent blindness in children and anaemia in women.

A worldview that defines pollination as "theft by bees" and claims biodiversity "steals" sunshine is a worldview which itself aims at stealing nature's harvest by replacing open, pollinated varieties with hybrids and sterile seeds, and destroying biodiverse flora with herbicides such as Roundup. The threat posed to the Monarch butterfly by genetically engineered bt crops is just one example of the ecological poverty created by the new biotechnologies. As butterflies and bees disappear, production is undermined. As biodiversity disappears, with it go sources of nutrition and food.

When giant corporations view small peasants and bees as thieves, and through trade rules and new technologies seek the right to exterminate them, humanity has reached a dangerous threshold. The imperative to stamp out the smallest insect, the smallest plant, the smallest peasant comes from a deep fear - the fear of everything that is alive and free. And this deep insecurity and fear is unleashing the violence against all people and all species.

The global free trade economy has become a threat to sustainability and the very survival of the poor and other species is at stake not just as a side effect or as an exception but in a systemic way through a restructuring of our worldview at the most fundamental level. Sustainability, sharing and survival is being economically outlawed in the name of market competitiveness and market efficiency.

I want to argue here tonight that we need to urgently bring the planet and people back into the picture.

The world can be fed only by feeding all beings that make the world.

In giving food to other beings and species we maintain conditions for our own food security. In feeding earthworms we feed ourselves. In feeding cows, we feed the soil, and in providing food for the soil, we provide food for humans. This worldview of abundance is based on sharing and on a deep awareness of humans as members of the earth family. This awareness that in impoverishing other beings, we impoverish ourselves and in nourishing other beings, we nourish ourselves is the real basis of sustainability.

The sustainability challenge for the new millennium is whether global economic man can move out of the worldview based on fear and scarcity, monocultures and monopolies, appropriation and dispossession and shift to a view based on abundance and sharing, diversity and decentralisation, and respect and dignity for all beings.

Sustainability demands that we move out of the economic trap that is leaving no space for other species and other people. Economic Globalisation has become a war against nature and the poor. But the rules of globalisation are not god - given. They can be changed. They must be changed. We must bring this war to an end.

Since Seattle, a frequently used phrase has been the need for a rule based system. Globalisation is the rule of commerce and it has elevated Wall Street to be the only source of value. As a result things that should have high worth - nature, culture, the future are being devalued and destroyed. The rules of globalisation are undermining the rules of justice and sustainability, of compassion and sharing. We have to move from market totalitarianism to an earth democracy.

We can survive as a species only if we live by the rules of the biosphere. The biosphere has enough for everyone's needs if the global economy respects the limits set by sustainability and justice.

As Gandhi had reminded us: "The earth has enough for everyone's needs, but not for some people's greed".

Professor Joergen Tautz (bee expert ) from Wurzburg University, Germany cited:
"Bees are vital to bio diversity. There are 130,000 plants for example for which bees are essential to pollination, from melons to pumpkins, raspberries and all kind of fruit trees - as well as animal fodder - like clover. Bees are more important than poultry in terms of human nutrition. Bees from one hive can visit a million flowers within a 400 square kilometre area in just one day. Bees are not only working for our welfare, they are also perfect indicators of the state of the environment. We should take note."
 OneBlend
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 4:53:32 PM
For anyone who thinks pushing global trade is such a fantastic idea and buy into the profit agenda being spewed as global community and global trade, here are some other things to consider so you can RECONSIDER ...

China and their contaminated honey. The article may not be too up-to-date, but neither is our FDA oversight.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2002/2002-08-28-04.asp

China and honey laundering.

The ruthless side to a global trade.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,1265467,00.html

We love importing from China, don't we?
 printer2
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/23/2008 5:20:49 PM

"I still believe that multiple factors are involved in CCD," said Jeff Pettis, "and what we need to do is look at combinations such as parasites, stress and nutrition (together with the virus)."

PBS had show on the bee problem and the above statement sums it up. Bees are moved from state to state to follow the growing season and when the plants need to be pollinated. The bees pick up trace pesticides as they go weakening them. When they collect the pollen it is not from a variety of plants but from one kind of crop. Modern farming practices may not be healthy for the bees.
 Pyro74
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 10:34:03 PM
I recently saw something on PBS about how in some areas of China, they have to manually pollenate their crops. Pesticides killed all their bees, now their stuck doing all the work. It's sad how people never really appreiceiate how important the little things are, until it's too late.
 D_lily
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/23/2008 10:41:26 PM
We humans are killing everything, we should just be killed so nature can live.
 Draskinn
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 11:25:03 PM

It sure is weird.... Good thing we have illegals from Mexico we can pay then 50 cents to go around and pollinate the fruits manualy.

Funny you should say that…

This is a global problem bees are dieing all around the world. I was watching a news report on this a while back. They were reporting from a part of china where the bees have died off completely and the farmers have had to resort to hand pollinating! Guys with ladders, brushes and jars of pollen have to go around from tree to tree pollinating every blossom.

They said they won’t be able to afford to do it that way for much longer though because labor costs are going up in china as there economy improves. So ether they will stop growing these types of crops (pears in the report) or they will have to go up so high in price to cover the labor costs that fruits and such will become food only for the rich.

The rest of us will have to make do with grain.

(ummm guess I saw the same thing as Pyro74 then)
 yna6
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/24/2008 4:28:35 PM
I see where a guy hauls tractor trailer loads of bee hives out to large farms and sets them up for 3 weeks...at 30 bucks a hive per week! Farmers pay for this service in order to have their crops pollinated. It works.

A bee that is sick will leave the hive and go die as far away as possible in order to protect the hive from its disease. How mnay of us notice a dead bee in the lawn? It doesn't take long for the ants and such to clean them up either.

The idea of "africanizing" a bee was to make the hives have more production. Not to make the bees more aggressive.

As I said in earlier posts, those with a crop of extra queens would have a ready market...and they do. Lots of producers raising extra queens just for export, especially in Austrailia. A lot of imported bees from there have made their way to the States.

The idea of bees being absolutly necessary for farming is true. They are a great help...up to a third of the total world food crops are pollinated by the bees...but we can do it other ways which are more labour intensive, as pointed out by another poster.

Some people in NYC have hives on the roofs of their buildings. I was surprised to see this...but thought about the idea of people keeping pigeons, etc there too...there is a lot going on up on the roofs!

We'll recover form the current bee shortage, sooner or later...probably sooner, becaus eit affects so many people, and the gov't has taken a big interest in this problem. They have the money to throw at it, and a lot of places are working on it.
 ontour2008
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/24/2008 4:41:44 PM
The bees are leaving because they can't bear the thought of the possibility that a Barak Obama could be our next president. They figure hes going to mandate they give their honey to the poor, homosexual and homeless and NOT finding other sources for production of the sweet nectar. Citing "you can't pollinate your way out of this problem" said as only a friken idiot can say. No we can't but we still need more sources of honey till we put in place the proper alternative.
 printer2
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/24/2008 5:02:48 PM
Maybe they just realized there is no intelligent life left on earth.
 Vancer
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/24/2008 5:28:23 PM
I have all your bees. I have trained them into a massive army.
Now we will take over!

*opens all bee containers*

Go my children! Destroy! Destroy!

*bees attack and kill Vancer*

Anyhoo, I bet the bees are disappearing for a combination of reasons. We can't control all them reasons, I bet.
I hope we can adapt.
 yna6
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/24/2008 7:11:27 PM
"New 'superfrog' invades US waters...demand for frog-leg eating yahoos and frenchmen goes up....."these things eat bees!" quotes one pronminant scientist!"

Man...I should be writing for the Weekly World News or Nation Enquirer and making a mint...sheesh...

So far, it seems to be a virus. Once infected, a bee carries it for a short time...then flies off to die, away from the colony. The colony weakens...the honey is abandoned....with the virus.
Does this get inot the food chain? Is it a matter of public health? Haven't heard a word about that.

It is going to affect the crops...already has. Therefore the guy making roadtrips with hundreds of hives to pollinate crops can make 900 grand in three weeks...then move onto another area. Can you imagine going down the highway and seeing a guy driving a truck dressed in a beekeeper suit? And the bees! Wow...saw him brushing off drifts of bees from the sides of the flatbed he was hauling.

A new industry....crop pollination services. Honey as a sideline, along with the wax and other things bee keepers sell. you too can get into this new exciting and profitable business...just send $29.99 to me at....oops...hey...fireworks tonight...ok..see ya!
 EruditeRedneck
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/25/2008 3:15:32 PM
I am unable to remember the date but NPR did a report early this year that seems to show a virus to be the cause of bee death. A scientist pureed many bees and found dna of a bee virus. The possible cause of the widespread weakness has been covered already in previous posts and I tend to agree.

I don't know why but I am unable to get onto NPR's website to search for the essay.
 troother
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/25/2008 10:10:49 PM
This will contribute to "global warming"
Without the billions of flapping bee wings , "climate change" is going to increase and melt both poles four years sooner than scheduled !
I'm looking for a government grant . It's important work .I've already ran a computer generated mock up hockey stick model thingy. Trust me , it looks serious .
Think I'll email Al gore .
 EruditeRedneck
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/26/2008 2:01:15 PM
Hey ontour I'd much rather help the poor, homeless, and mentally ill any day over the multi billionairs.

OOOOOHHHH! Better yet sent me the money and I'll breed more bees.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/26/2008 6:17:27 PM
Haven't you all heard...? Bees are really aliens, and they're evacuating the planet in order to save themselves from the upcoming Dalek invasion.

(Current 'Doctor Who' watchers might get the reference... )
 scorpiomover
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 7:57:43 PM
They are dying. I've seen 3 bees that are just laying on the side by my house. The weather is warm, even at the coldest times of the night. There are flowers all around my house. Their thoraxes are intact, so they haven't died from stinging anything. They just dropped dead.

I've seen this trend for the last few years inside my house. I would wake up in the morning, and find a bee in the toilet, or somewhere else. They must have come in through the holes that allow for ventilation or cracks, and then died.

But now, I've seen them on the paving right by the door. What is also weird, is that weeks later, they are still there. They aren't being eaten.

I'd agree with Frog_O_Eyes that overcrowding and breeding only one type is the most likely culprit. It's always been that way in the animal kingdom. Diversity is good for animals. The same goes for having room.

However, I would like to point out what mystery604 suggested might have some basis. According to Wikipedia, most bees are fuzzy and carry an electrostatic charge, which aids in the adherence of pollen. Now that we've got mobile phone networks and wireless networks everywhere, phone masts and wireless routers are continually transmitting signals. So are mobile phones and wireless laptops. So the air is full of more and more e-m waves. At some point, the density of these waves could be enough to attract far more of the electrostatic charge to bees than the small charge they usually carry. That could have unforseen effects. We carry an extremely tiny charge on our skin. But it's nor harmful. However, if we get enough of a charge, we can really suffer. Bees are far smaller than us, and their fuzziness attracts such charges, so they could attract a much higher charge than us, and could be affected far more than we might be. We might need to set up areas where mobiles and wireless aren't allowed, and grow bees there. I'm only supposing here, but it would be an interesting subject of research.
 sanderick
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/26/2008 8:30:49 PM
Well the virus has had an impact on bees, but I would expect to see more of an effect in climates that actually have winters. :)

Down here in San Diego, I see bees ALL THE TIME. I've read about the virus and have wondered about how much impact it will have on agriculture. It's a good thing that the cause was discovered, so the industry can address the issue.

As far as seeing dead bees. I haven't seen a drop off in any way. In fact, if anything i've seen more. But then, this is San Diego, with constantly beautiful weather, no snow except for the high mountains and nothing but tons of flowers and fruit groves everywhere.

I guess that you could call San Diego, a Bee's Paradise....

Outdoor2
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 12:50:56 AM
Thanks oneblend....

Excellent posts and links....I feel ill, but informed....

Better that than ill-informed...

Since 2006, unprecedented honeybee decline

Beekeepers across the U.S. have been reporting via national surveys that their bees are rapidly disappearing.

The disappearance of what’s believed to be millions of bees could become a factor in U.S. food production. That’s according to May Berenbaum, professor and head of the department of entomology at the University of Illinois in Urbana – Champaign.

May Berenbaum: Really, what distinguishes this particular phenomenon from previous massive bee die-offs is the absence of bodies. That is probably the key to figuring out what’s going on. So in my opinion, the best guess as to what’s causing this is some form of stress that disrupts the honeybees capacity to orient and navigate.

Berenbaum suggested that a viral disease or possibly pesticides might be affecting the bees’ nervous systems and causing them to lose their way home. She emphasized that more study is needed to get to the bottom of the mystery of disappearing bees in 2006 and 2007.

May Berenbaum: About a third of the American diet can be traced back to honeybee pollination. And that includes seemingly unlikely components of the diet such as beef and cheese… Collectively, the pollination services of honeybees alone, just honeybees, amount to 14 billion dollars a year, according to one estimate. I don’t think people realize just how utterly dependent we are on bees.

http://tinyurl.com/6c7we3

Lack of crop growth is most definitely a security issue in it's truest sense....

Sustainability...
 AnglFlynToCloseToGround
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/27/2008 2:00:03 AM
When I was a kid bees , wasp , hornets and yellow jackets would be flying all over the place ... I couldnt go outside for 10 minutes without seeing some . They would be all around the house and flying into the car once in a while . There would be wasp flying in the house all summer . Ya couldnt go to the store or on a trip or anywhere without seeing bees or wasp or something , but now I hardly see any of them at all ... Kinda creepy ... I have had some ppl around here say they have noticed this and it is strange and they think its kinda creepy ...

kewldoc
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2008 12:14:14 AM
Four years ago, bees took up residence in the wall of my horse barn. We paid no attention untill their entry/exit point became too close to the main stall aisle. The premier bee man in Kansas was called to have a look. He did some observation and calculation and estimated there could be as many as 40,000 bees in that colony. We put up scaffolding, relocated animals and the handicapped rider program so he could go to work in all his battle gear. He put several hives out and went to work opening the wall. We were aghast! Solid wall of bees and honey in an area 6 ft x about 10feet. "Aha!" he croaks- "Here she is..." In all that chaos he found 4 queens and relocated each to one of the hives. In less than 30 minutes, every single bee had left the wall and swarmed all over the hive boxes. One box was covered so thick we could not see a bit of the white wood of the box. After looking at the screens in the hives, he estimated there were close to 60,000 bees in the wall. In addition, we weighed nearly 50 pounds of natural honey. It was an amazing process to watch, and the city kids have never stopped telling the story of the great bee migration....

So one answer to why he bees are leaving might beeeeee they all came to my horse barn for summer vacation!
 ApplePieSweetTart
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/1/2008 5:57:24 AM
wow. That is an amazing story, and that is great that you were able to save the bees. A month ago, a poster on a different site was telling me his similar bee story only he didn't think the bees were worth the $$ it would have cost to save them. The bee keeper who came to his house to size up the situation estimated he had over 15,000 bees in his wall. The poster said he was not spending the estimated $4000.00 to have them safely removed, so long story short he smoked them out and killed them.

The story is even sadder as the bee keeper had noted these were some type of extra good honey bee to have around.(I dont know the name, just remembered him telling me that)
 Lisa780
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/3/2008 6:15:11 AM
LOL!
I had a swarm of bees that moved (or should I say were trying to move) into my barn a month ago! They were thinking of moving into the wall next to on of the stallions stalls.....he on the other hand had other ideas about this! When I brought in the other stallion, that he hates, he started to kick the wall between the stalls....totally upsetting the swarm of bees that were making their new home! This swirling mass of bees that now were everywhere (I was the only one there and had to get it together enough to move two horses that hate each other without getting stung) after calling Orkin I found out that the only people who will move honey bees are beekeepers (and there are beekeeping associations who will help those of us who know nothing about this sort of thing)....I had quite the education in the ways of the honey bee! I met a wonderful woman and her husband who are the keepers of the bees in this area and she was impressed that one angry, wall kicking horse could take care of a swarm of honey bees! Now after and extensive education in the positive effects that the honey bee has on our world I'm having her move some of her hives to a piece of property that my sister and I have! I'm now looking forward to enjoying the benefits of home grown honey!
 ApplePieSweetTart
Msg: 51
Posted: 8/3/2008 8:14:13 AM
I love bumblebees. They are a laid back, easy-going bee who has no sense flying but they do it anyway-logic be damned!!
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >