Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yna6
Msg: 38
why are the bees leaving ?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
"New 'superfrog' invades US waters...demand for frog-leg eating yahoos and frenchmen goes up....."these things eat bees!" quotes one pronminant scientist!"

Man...I should be writing for the Weekly World News or Nation Enquirer and making a mint...sheesh...

So far, it seems to be a virus. Once infected, a bee carries it for a short time...then flies off to die, away from the colony. The colony weakens...the honey is abandoned....with the virus.
Does this get inot the food chain? Is it a matter of public health? Haven't heard a word about that.

It is going to affect the crops...already has. Therefore the guy making roadtrips with hundreds of hives to pollinate crops can make 900 grand in three weeks...then move onto another area. Can you imagine going down the highway and seeing a guy driving a truck dressed in a beekeeper suit? And the bees! Wow...saw him brushing off drifts of bees from the sides of the flatbed he was hauling.

A new industry....crop pollination services. Honey as a sideline, along with the wax and other things bee keepers sell. you too can get into this new exciting and profitable business...just send $29.99 to me at....oops...hey...fireworks tonight...ok..see ya!
 EruditeRedneck
Msg: 39
why are the bees leaving ?
Posted: 6/25/2008 3:15:32 PM
I am unable to remember the date but NPR did a report early this year that seems to show a virus to be the cause of bee death. A scientist pureed many bees and found dna of a bee virus. The possible cause of the widespread weakness has been covered already in previous posts and I tend to agree.

I don't know why but I am unable to get onto NPR's website to search for the essay.
 EruditeRedneck
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/26/2008 2:01:15 PM
Hey ontour I'd much rather help the poor, homeless, and mentally ill any day over the multi billionairs.

OOOOOHHHH! Better yet sent me the money and I'll breed more bees.
 RocketMan_Len
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/26/2008 6:17:27 PM
Haven't you all heard...? Bees are really aliens, and they're evacuating the planet in order to save themselves from the upcoming Dalek invasion.

(Current 'Doctor Who' watchers might get the reference... )
 scorpiomover
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2008 7:57:43 PM
They are dying. I've seen 3 bees that are just laying on the side by my house. The weather is warm, even at the coldest times of the night. There are flowers all around my house. Their thoraxes are intact, so they haven't died from stinging anything. They just dropped dead.

I've seen this trend for the last few years inside my house. I would wake up in the morning, and find a bee in the toilet, or somewhere else. They must have come in through the holes that allow for ventilation or cracks, and then died.

But now, I've seen them on the paving right by the door. What is also weird, is that weeks later, they are still there. They aren't being eaten.

I'd agree with Frog_O_Eyes that overcrowding and breeding only one type is the most likely culprit. It's always been that way in the animal kingdom. Diversity is good for animals. The same goes for having room.

However, I would like to point out what mystery604 suggested might have some basis. According to Wikipedia, most bees are fuzzy and carry an electrostatic charge, which aids in the adherence of pollen. Now that we've got mobile phone networks and wireless networks everywhere, phone masts and wireless routers are continually transmitting signals. So are mobile phones and wireless laptops. So the air is full of more and more e-m waves. At some point, the density of these waves could be enough to attract far more of the electrostatic charge to bees than the small charge they usually carry. That could have unforseen effects. We carry an extremely tiny charge on our skin. But it's nor harmful. However, if we get enough of a charge, we can really suffer. Bees are far smaller than us, and their fuzziness attracts such charges, so they could attract a much higher charge than us, and could be affected far more than we might be. We might need to set up areas where mobiles and wireless aren't allowed, and grow bees there. I'm only supposing here, but it would be an interesting subject of research.
 sanderick
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/26/2008 8:30:49 PM
Well the virus has had an impact on bees, but I would expect to see more of an effect in climates that actually have winters. :)

Down here in San Diego, I see bees ALL THE TIME. I've read about the virus and have wondered about how much impact it will have on agriculture. It's a good thing that the cause was discovered, so the industry can address the issue.

As far as seeing dead bees. I haven't seen a drop off in any way. In fact, if anything i've seen more. But then, this is San Diego, with constantly beautiful weather, no snow except for the high mountains and nothing but tons of flowers and fruit groves everywhere.

I guess that you could call San Diego, a Bee's Paradise....

Outdoor2
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2008 12:50:56 AM
Thanks oneblend....

Excellent posts and links....I feel ill, but informed....

Better that than ill-informed...

Since 2006, unprecedented honeybee decline

Beekeepers across the U.S. have been reporting via national surveys that their bees are rapidly disappearing.

The disappearance of what’s believed to be millions of bees could become a factor in U.S. food production. That’s according to May Berenbaum, professor and head of the department of entomology at the University of Illinois in Urbana – Champaign.

May Berenbaum: Really, what distinguishes this particular phenomenon from previous massive bee die-offs is the absence of bodies. That is probably the key to figuring out what’s going on. So in my opinion, the best guess as to what’s causing this is some form of stress that disrupts the honeybees capacity to orient and navigate.

Berenbaum suggested that a viral disease or possibly pesticides might be affecting the bees’ nervous systems and causing them to lose their way home. She emphasized that more study is needed to get to the bottom of the mystery of disappearing bees in 2006 and 2007.

May Berenbaum: About a third of the American diet can be traced back to honeybee pollination. And that includes seemingly unlikely components of the diet such as beef and cheese… Collectively, the pollination services of honeybees alone, just honeybees, amount to 14 billion dollars a year, according to one estimate. I don’t think people realize just how utterly dependent we are on bees.

http://tinyurl.com/6c7we3

Lack of crop growth is most definitely a security issue in it's truest sense....

Sustainability...
 AnglFlynToCloseToGround
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/27/2008 2:00:03 AM
When I was a kid bees , wasp , hornets and yellow jackets would be flying all over the place ... I couldnt go outside for 10 minutes without seeing some . They would be all around the house and flying into the car once in a while . There would be wasp flying in the house all summer . Ya couldnt go to the store or on a trip or anywhere without seeing bees or wasp or something , but now I hardly see any of them at all ... Kinda creepy ... I have had some ppl around here say they have noticed this and it is strange and they think its kinda creepy ...

kewldoc
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2008 12:14:14 AM
Four years ago, bees took up residence in the wall of my horse barn. We paid no attention untill their entry/exit point became too close to the main stall aisle. The premier bee man in Kansas was called to have a look. He did some observation and calculation and estimated there could be as many as 40,000 bees in that colony. We put up scaffolding, relocated animals and the handicapped rider program so he could go to work in all his battle gear. He put several hives out and went to work opening the wall. We were aghast! Solid wall of bees and honey in an area 6 ft x about 10feet. "Aha!" he croaks- "Here she is..." In all that chaos he found 4 queens and relocated each to one of the hives. In less than 30 minutes, every single bee had left the wall and swarmed all over the hive boxes. One box was covered so thick we could not see a bit of the white wood of the box. After looking at the screens in the hives, he estimated there were close to 60,000 bees in the wall. In addition, we weighed nearly 50 pounds of natural honey. It was an amazing process to watch, and the city kids have never stopped telling the story of the great bee migration....

So one answer to why he bees are leaving might beeeeee they all came to my horse barn for summer vacation!
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >