Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 105
Guns...how young is too young?Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
3 years old is not too young to start learning shooting fundamentals and gun safety.

I started learning when I was 5. I respected my dad, and I loved to learn and spend time with him. I never touched the guns because my dad told me not to and I knew what they could do. I knew they were dangerous, and I respected both the guns and my dad.

In my opinion, if there are guns in the home, children should be taught gun saftey as soon as possible and we would not have so many tragic accidental shootings.

A gun is a tool just like a knife. There are knifes in every home, and children are taught about knives as soon as they can reach them. It's the same thing.

I really feel that people who are totally anti-gun or emotional about this issue should just kind of butt out. The op's question was not whether it's ok to teach gun safety, but if 6 is too young.

My answer is no.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 106
Guns...how young is too young?
Posted: 5/13/2009 1:45:04 PM

Nice really nice....My opinion of Americans is no longer as high as it use to be.In conversations I have defended Americans constantly and consider the country like our Big Brother.Now seeing how alot feel about when a child should be taught to use guns is just horrible.And you wonder why your country is listed as number one for deaths from shootings.Shame shame shame on you all for arming your children with guns at an early age.Its horrible how you can think its right.

I am not anti-gun but children under the age of 15 should not be taught to use guns.They should more mature and understand better the do's and don't's of guns.

When my daughter was younger I warned her time and time again to not touch the frying pan because she kept trying to put her finger in it.I turned to grab the veggies and that split second she put her finger in the pan.So what happens if for that split second your 6 year old is armed and you just go to reach something ?Think what can happen in that split second.

We get the point. Most of us disagree. If there are guns in the home, I think children should be taught gun safety. Not just how to pull the trigger - SAFETY. Kids are never too young to learn about safety concerning anything. You don't give a 5 year old keys to a car either, but my dad sure let me sit on his lap and steer in a parking lot sometimes.

:)
 Dave 333
Msg: 107
Posted: 5/13/2009 7:10:20 PM
OP and all who have followed:

I do admit that I didn't read the entire six pages of string on this one, but I have to say that I'm shocked that I didn't read any posting about what's really going on here.

This isn't about guns: it's about control. If the ex really wanted to teach his son about guns, he would have let the kid tell his mom about it after the fact. The ex is using the kid as a way to push mom's buttons, and mom probably does her share of using the kid to push dad's buttons too.

OP and anyone else who has to deal with an ex who uses the kids to push buttons: my ex did some really terrible things to hurt my oldest daughter (no physically - it was all emotional) because it was the best way to hurt me. She didn't stop doing it until I made it so that she couldn't use the kids to hurt me. Best thing you can do is just say "what you teach him when he's with you is up to you" and leave it at that. Even if he threatens to hurt your son, just let it go.
 Tealwood
Msg: 108
Posted: 5/13/2009 7:43:08 PM

I really think that alot of parents on here need to go to parenting classes if they feel a 6 year old is old enough to learn how to use a gun.

So who died and determined you were the purveyor of knowing when things were appropriate to teach children lessons in life?
 Scrappinbee
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 8:04:07 PM
that is scary.. I don't think kids should ever be allowed to shoot guns.. I am not going to get into the gun rights or anything but guns are for killing things.. there is no other reason to have a gun. do you want your 6 year old little boy killing things?
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 110
Posted: 5/14/2009 3:26:22 AM

Seven years old is not too young to learn to shoot a gun provided a responsible adult is teaching them.

Gawd. The American obsession with blowing things away with guns, a seven-year-old with a lethal weapon? You people are quite mad.

And no, there is no law to stop it from happening.

There is where I come from.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 111
Posted: 5/14/2009 3:58:59 AM

that is scary.. I don't think kids should ever be allowed to shoot guns.. I am not going to get into the gun rights or anything but guns are for killing things.. there is no other reason to have a gun. do you want your 6 year old little boy killing things?

Yes.

We as human beings are biological organisms. We kill things so that we can survive. Some of you people are in such incredible denial, that you seem to think since you don't see your cattle slaughtered, or your carrots pulled up out of the ground, or the starving children in sweat shops making your clothing that you are not personally responsible.

A gun is a tool. Death is a part of life. And believe it or not, I know people in their 50s who have shot guns their whole lives and have only murdered thousands of pop cans.

Seriously.... geeze. You know what the difference between free people and slaves are? Slaves aren't armed.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 112
Posted: 5/14/2009 2:04:38 PM

Can you point out the law saying that I can't teach my child to shoot?

The information I have Rambo is minimum age in NSW for handguns and rifles is 18 and 10 for junior permit under the supervision of a licensed adult.

This was before the Port Arthur massacre, after which the laws were tightened.

http://www.geniac.net/portarthur/how.htm

Where you and I part company is there is no way any of my sons will have guns in any way, shape or form around them, their mother and I are in total agreement on this issue.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 113
Posted: 5/14/2009 3:12:18 PM

Such law says I can teach him to shoot when he's 10, not that I can't teach him to shoot.

The question was 'how young is too young?' with the poster's ex wanting to put a gun in a 7-year-old's hands.

And anyway, "Rambo"? Why the hostility?

No hostility, I just don't understand the mindset of arming kids, but fair enough, I withdraw that, no room for name-calling in this argument.
 bigshrek
Msg: 118
Posted: 5/19/2009 10:07:08 AM
This entire discussion makes me laugh.

They used to teach shooting in SCHOOL. Middle & High schools taught Olympic Rifle & Pistol classes in the past...Now you'd be hard-pressed to even find Archery these days.

Personally I believe that a 5-6 yr old kid should start with Archery & then a BB-gun until they are at least 10...that's just a family tradition. It gives one time to figure out if the kid actually pays attention to the commands of an adult and if they can be trusted to take it to another level.

I started Mason out with a Bow at age 6. Only gave him One arrow to shoot with so he would learn to make his shots count. At age 10 he's now a HECK of a shot, very consistant...but as he still has a few issues with authority, I've resisted letting him use a BB-gun. He's SEEN my rifle collection, but it's locked up in safes where he could never hope to get at it without me being present.

When I was age 10, my Great Uncle gave me a short course in Firearm Safety, then took me out to shoot at an old unused barn, after performing to standard, I was given ever-smaller targets and more safety & cleaning training until I was proficient and quite a good shot. The Army greatly appreciated my family's efforts in making me a good shot and I was promoted regularly until I was Honorably Discharged due to a Motorcycle crash...and my privately-owned guns have killed less people than Ted Kennedy's car.

Military families tend to teach their children differently....with Responsibility and Respect. Unlike civilian families, which tend not to teach at all but to let the State handle it.

Let us not even mention all the single-parent homes which cannot even hope to give their children the benefits of a dual-parenting system, much less getting all the relatives involved. I learned mechanics from my father, shooting a gun from my great-uncle, shooting a Bow from my grandfather, and a love for reading from my Mother the English Teacher, how to cook & clean from my grandmothers, etc etc etc...it DOES take a community to raise children properly. And these days many parents don't have much to do with their extended families...and that's the saddest thing of all.

Not to mention neighbourly support. In the 70's & 80's...EVERYONE in a neighborhood watched out for the kids. They'd call your mother in a HEARTBEAT if you were doing anything wrong...even if it was just jumping a ditch on your bike...lol. So you got used to knowing that if you did something bad, you'd get caught...made for better acting children. Nowadays...most folks know maybe a few of the closest neighbors...if they're lucky. Forget having someone two blocks over call them because their kid is jumping ditches with a homemade ramp...

Being afraid of firearms is perfectly legitimate. But I think it's far safer to understand the tool that they have been over the centuries...and to know how to make them safe if found unattended (ever notice how gang-bangers get rid of their guns when the cops are chasing them?? they just toss them out the car window...where ANY child could find them).

My mother hated guns...even though she allowed family to teach me how to use them and how to be safe with them...the first thing I did after I joined the military and got my first duty station??? I bought a rifle and a motorcycle, the very things she always PROHIBITED me from ever owning while Under Her Roof.

You can try to hide your kids away from guns, but they're still going to do what they want as soon as they move out.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2009 11:42:41 AM
"Let us not even mention all the single-parent homes which cannot even hope to give their children the benefits of a dual-parenting system, much less getting all the relatives involved."

So single parents don't have relatives involved now lol. As a dad who has his girls all the time (with the exception of periodic one nighters when the ex takes them), I can say family and friend help out lots. Not only that girlfriends do too. I have had girlfrinds go shopping to help my girls pick out clothing, because I have no skills at that. In some ways there are more people involved. My oldest girl is on the phone with my sister 2-3 times a week and her mom is still involved even if it is not as much as my sister is.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 4:40:58 AM
You do not have a clue why we have gun rights in the USA. When I look a history, both new and old I know why. The gun being taken away from the citizens was one of the first things done in Natzi Germany so the people could not stand up. The tanks rolling down the streets of teniman square and the people unable to stand up and the mass killings in Darfur, it easy to see when most people have guns the power is with the people not a few in the government. With this ability there are problems with out it there are bigger problems. Might be had for you in the 3rd world to understand lol.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 5:47:07 AM
You put your own spin on education, I have been to Darfur, guns and lack of guns have had a big roll. The wrong people have them there. I did 25 years in the army so I know what guns can do. You are caught up in the shit so many brits are. Guns in the hand of the people protect the people from the government. But people that still have a queen not not get that. People power normal only works when the people have power.

http://famguardian.org/Subjects/GunControl/Articles/NaziGunLaw.htm

Here are some other facts for you see above link. The jews had few guns left, but thanks for your try to educate lol.
 freetime2bme
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 6:33:21 AM
"Hate to call your bluff old son, but why would US personnel be in Darfur, I was there looking after a BBC crew in 2004 shortly after it kicked off. Didnt run into any US personnel at all."

Try google: US military in Darfur or US NGOs in Darfur or US support to UN operations in Darfur Then you will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there pre 2005, much different now, but the US never left dumb ass!!!! USA NGO operations are the biggest.

"We have people power all over Europe its called a vote!" Worked good in Yugoslavia. Like the way the people of Europe fixed that. Please help us agian USA.

The beer is the one good idea you had, you buy okay!!!!!!!!
 freetime2bme
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 7:40:25 AM
I was a loggy at the time, not black ops, but hand picked. I hate everything about the continent of Africa, would not go unless someone made me. Not even for black water pay.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123131365
Since 2003, conflict in the Darfur region of western Sudan has displaced an estimated 2.5 million people and led to an estimated 300,000 deaths, according to the United Nations. Since 2004, the United States has spent more than $15 million to airlift 11,400 peacekeepers and their equipment to and from Darfur and has provided more than $100 million to train and equip those forces, according to a White House fact sheet. Much of this support is coordinated through the U.S. Department of State.

This is small next to NGO support operations; again google might help you out. I am still on for the free beer.
 want to travel
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2009 8:04:49 AM
my son never had a toy gun, but joined the sea cadets at 12, he recieved proper weapons training, as a Canadian i would never have a side arm or any weapon in the hands of a child, sham on you Americans lol, join the rest of the developed world, you are not a 3rd world country, time to give up bad habits, racism, crime, and way too many people left behind
you could tell i live across the river from detroit lol
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 127
Posted: 5/20/2009 2:34:45 PM
So?

Do you have any earthly idea how many kids are killed in car crashes every year? Anything fun in life is dangerous.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 129
Posted: 5/20/2009 8:24:24 PM
A gun is just a tool like any other. Some of you people just amaze me with your ignorance.

If I ever had a son especially, he would know how to use a gun. Period. And the fact that that scares some of you actually amuses me greatly.

Me and anyone in my family will never be a victim or a statistic.
 yngbld3
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2009 6:52:04 PM
I was taught early & responsibly like your son. Handling a gun is a big deal & teaches everyone the responsibility associated with it. Tell him (or yourself )to go on google & show the boy some pictures of hunting "accidents"& gun carelessness seeing as it is so widely avaliable for your teaching him awareness. Good luck!!!! Harry
 bigshrek
Msg: 132
Posted: 5/22/2009 11:25:49 AM

Look up the story of the little boy who shot himself in the head at a gunfair, because his "father" thought it would be cool for him to fire a semi-automatic gun.

Please, if you're going to be anti-gun, GET THE STORY STRAIGHT!!!

It was an 8-yr old boy in Massachusettes...he was using a FULL AUTO MACHINE GUN, an Mini-Uzi to be specific. A Fully automatic weapon fires as long as you hold the trigger down. A semi-auto only allows ONE shot per ONE pull of the trigger.

Even worse was the fact that his father, brother and a gun instructor were standing right there when it happened, but none could react fast enough to the problem of the child not having strength enough to hold the full-auto weapon on-target.

Were they stupid for letting a child handle it? YES!!!

A small weapon like a mini-uzi is MUCH harder to handle than a full-size version or a RIFLE like the B. A. R. (Browning Automatic Rifle). Even some adults have made the same mistake and gotten a big surprise. To own a Full Auto weapon you must get a Class III license, which is an expensive and long process through the Federal Government, the ATF to be specific. Background checks are VERY thorough.

Current Military and Law Enforcement personnel are allowed to be issued full-auto weaponry, but that's a whole different thing.

Now if you travel to other lands...like Africa and the Middle East, you will find that children are quite often from age 6 & up are given full-auto weapons like AK-47's & M-16's...in Iran they even have groups of 9-year old girls with M-16's that shoot quite well, as they have been trained for three years By The State in a Military atmosphere. Probably not the most sane of ideas...but Ahmenejhad isn't known for his sanity.

Bottom line, people should THINK before they do things. It would have been far safer and more controlable to have that child use a semi-automatic (one shot at a time) or even have a Tripod-Mounted M-249 Machine Gun (MUCH more controllable) than to let any child use a hand-held weapon of the mini-uzi's power.

bigshrek
Msg: 133
Posted: 5/22/2009 11:37:46 AM
I still dont think kids need them in their lives

Prior to the 1980's it wasn't even an issue of note. As a 5th-grader in 1978 I could take my .22 rifle to school, walk inside, hand it to the principal, and retrieve it after school to go squirrel/rabbit hunting on the way home.

The difference??

Single parent homes. Divorce. People not properly disciplining their horrible little brats. Listening to Dr. Spock. Taking corporal punishment out of schools. People not taking the time & effort to properly TEACH their own children. Lax parenting. Letting the TV and Video games babysit their kids.

THAT is the difference.

I also find it hilarious that we can't see a breast on tv, yet for some odd reason we will show hideously violent TV shows and let kids watch them. It would be a lot better if we had more TV shows like "Benny Hill" than all the shows about killing and maiming that we currently have now.

I'd rather have my kid focused on Pam Anderson's (or whoever's) huge knockers than on robbing, raping, and killing.

8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 134
Posted: 5/22/2009 11:46:52 AM
I agree with Shrek.

Guns are simply a tool. Seeing them as anything else is pure emotion.

I can kill most people just as easily with a garden hoe as I could with a gun. PEOPLE are dangerous. Tools are not.

And lack of discipline and education is what makes children dangerous. Not a tool.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 136
Posted: 5/22/2009 12:42:34 PM
Just like sex too, right Pepsi?

A lot of people don't equate the two, but sex can be used as a tool to hurt other people too.

Hence why if I ever have kids, they will learn about sex from me. Not from the school or HBO.
 trcaccount
Msg: 138
Posted: 5/22/2009 1:31:18 PM
I've tried to write an answer to this question, and truthfully, I just don't think I'm qualified to answer a question about firearms.

I don't like them
I don't see any point in owning them
I've never felt threatened enough in anyway to feel like I need one to protect myself
My life has not been incomplete because i've never owned one
I don't hunt
I don't target shoot

That being said, I do have friends who own firearms. I respect their right to own them and I suppose that if a firearm is going to be in a house where this child will be living, it is a good idea that he respects the firearm...I will add: at an age where he also is mature and physically able to handle a weapon...and Like I said, I don't know what that is.

Good luck and I hope his father shows good judgment.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 139
Posted: 5/22/2009 4:56:33 PM
England does not have guns anymore (legally) and people still kill each other.

Katanas are illegal now.

Knives soon will not have points, probably.

Even if you put people in breathing balls, people will still find a way to kill each other.

Guns are just a tool, people. Seriously. PEOPLE are dangerous.

The most dangerous people I've ever met in my life could kill you and nobody would even it was a murder.

Now THAT scares me. Teaching a kid to shoot is no different than letting your child sit on your lap and steer the car.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >