Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bigshrek
Msg: 132
Guns...how young is too young?Page 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Look up the story of the little boy who shot himself in the head at a gunfair, because his "father" thought it would be cool for him to fire a semi-automatic gun.

Please, if you're going to be anti-gun, GET THE STORY STRAIGHT!!!

It was an 8-yr old boy in Massachusettes...he was using a FULL AUTO MACHINE GUN, an Mini-Uzi to be specific. A Fully automatic weapon fires as long as you hold the trigger down. A semi-auto only allows ONE shot per ONE pull of the trigger.

Even worse was the fact that his father, brother and a gun instructor were standing right there when it happened, but none could react fast enough to the problem of the child not having strength enough to hold the full-auto weapon on-target.

Were they stupid for letting a child handle it? YES!!!

A small weapon like a mini-uzi is MUCH harder to handle than a full-size version or a RIFLE like the B. A. R. (Browning Automatic Rifle). Even some adults have made the same mistake and gotten a big surprise. To own a Full Auto weapon you must get a Class III license, which is an expensive and long process through the Federal Government, the ATF to be specific. Background checks are VERY thorough.

Current Military and Law Enforcement personnel are allowed to be issued full-auto weaponry, but that's a whole different thing.

Now if you travel to other lands...like Africa and the Middle East, you will find that children are quite often from age 6 & up are given full-auto weapons like AK-47's & M-16's...in Iran they even have groups of 9-year old girls with M-16's that shoot quite well, as they have been trained for three years By The State in a Military atmosphere. Probably not the most sane of ideas...but Ahmenejhad isn't known for his sanity.

Bottom line, people should THINK before they do things. It would have been far safer and more controlable to have that child use a semi-automatic (one shot at a time) or even have a Tripod-Mounted M-249 Machine Gun (MUCH more controllable) than to let any child use a hand-held weapon of the mini-uzi's power.

bigshrek
Msg: 133
Guns...how young is too young?
Posted: 5/22/2009 11:37:46 AM
I still dont think kids need them in their lives

Prior to the 1980's it wasn't even an issue of note. As a 5th-grader in 1978 I could take my .22 rifle to school, walk inside, hand it to the principal, and retrieve it after school to go squirrel/rabbit hunting on the way home.

The difference??

Single parent homes. Divorce. People not properly disciplining their horrible little brats. Listening to Dr. Spock. Taking corporal punishment out of schools. People not taking the time & effort to properly TEACH their own children. Lax parenting. Letting the TV and Video games babysit their kids.

THAT is the difference.

I also find it hilarious that we can't see a breast on tv, yet for some odd reason we will show hideously violent TV shows and let kids watch them. It would be a lot better if we had more TV shows like "Benny Hill" than all the shows about killing and maiming that we currently have now.

I'd rather have my kid focused on Pam Anderson's (or whoever's) huge knockers than on robbing, raping, and killing.

8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 134
Posted: 5/22/2009 11:46:52 AM
I agree with Shrek.

Guns are simply a tool. Seeing them as anything else is pure emotion.

I can kill most people just as easily with a garden hoe as I could with a gun. PEOPLE are dangerous. Tools are not.

And lack of discipline and education is what makes children dangerous. Not a tool.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 136
Posted: 5/22/2009 12:42:34 PM
Just like sex too, right Pepsi?

A lot of people don't equate the two, but sex can be used as a tool to hurt other people too.

Hence why if I ever have kids, they will learn about sex from me. Not from the school or HBO.
 trcaccount
Msg: 138
Posted: 5/22/2009 1:31:18 PM
I've tried to write an answer to this question, and truthfully, I just don't think I'm qualified to answer a question about firearms.

I don't like them
I don't see any point in owning them
I've never felt threatened enough in anyway to feel like I need one to protect myself
My life has not been incomplete because i've never owned one
I don't hunt
I don't target shoot

That being said, I do have friends who own firearms. I respect their right to own them and I suppose that if a firearm is going to be in a house where this child will be living, it is a good idea that he respects the firearm...I will add: at an age where he also is mature and physically able to handle a weapon...and Like I said, I don't know what that is.

Good luck and I hope his father shows good judgment.
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 139
Posted: 5/22/2009 4:56:33 PM
England does not have guns anymore (legally) and people still kill each other.

Katanas are illegal now.

Knives soon will not have points, probably.

Even if you put people in breathing balls, people will still find a way to kill each other.

Guns are just a tool, people. Seriously. PEOPLE are dangerous.

The most dangerous people I've ever met in my life could kill you and nobody would even it was a murder.

Now THAT scares me. Teaching a kid to shoot is no different than letting your child sit on your lap and steer the car.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >