Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > MELBOURNE CUP ~ Tips Wanted :)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 photoman001
Msg: 36
MELBOURNE CUP ~ Tips Wanted :)Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Well I live not too far from Newport in Melbourne and if you saw it you might not back it in the Cup.

I backed a horse on Derby day at 20 to 1. Unfortunately it didn't finish until quarter past three!
 PetalPi
Msg: 37
MELBOURNE CUP ~ Tips Wanted :)
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:52:34 PM
You're right Soulmate... I am practically weeping with nostalgia. I picked Newport because it was such a 'down market' suburb but just you punters in Real Estate watch, so was Williamstown at one stage and look at it now... only a Melbourner would understand.
 Hilly1971
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/2/2009 11:46:38 PM
My tip for the day.......better late then never I guess.

Boycott the day, I have no idea who won nor do I care at all.

I think the big old shit fight between one horses trainer, denying his horse was lame and the panel of experienced vets who were adamant it was, just about says it all as to how much the connections of horses care about their animals. Luckily for the horse the vets won out in the end and its trainer was not allowed to run an already injured horse.

Personally at racetime, I sat quietly and spent a few moments thinking about the thousands of young, fit , healthy horses who have been destroyed this year simply because they could not run fast enough.....its a big price to pay for a few minutes of excitement for Joe Public.
 Naamah
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/3/2009 2:41:53 AM
Prefer to watch a horse run around a paddock than a racetrack.

Well said.

Personally at racetime, I sat quietly and spent a few moments thinking about the thousands of young, fit , healthy horses who have been destroyed this year simply because they could not run fast enough....

Yep, this was my first year of boycotting the whole thing since you dun edukated me about the suffering of race horses. I have somehow managed to avoid all media coverage before, during and since. And at about the time the race would have been on I decided to do something nice for a couple of animals, so I took my dogs down to the creek. I managed to refrain from beating them to make them run really fast until their lungs collapse in order to determine who was quickest. But only just.
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/3/2009 3:00:55 AM
......, Go long on pork bellies !
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > MELBOURNE CUP ~ Tips Wanted :)