Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > MELBOURNE CUP ~ Tips Wanted :)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hilly1971
Msg: 51
MELBOURNE CUP ~ Tips Wanted :)Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
My tip for the day.......better late then never I guess.

Boycott the day, I have no idea who won nor do I care at all.

I think the big old shit fight between one horses trainer, denying his horse was lame and the panel of experienced vets who were adamant it was, just about says it all as to how much the connections of horses care about their animals. Luckily for the horse the vets won out in the end and its trainer was not allowed to run an already injured horse.

Personally at racetime, I sat quietly and spent a few moments thinking about the thousands of young, fit , healthy horses who have been destroyed this year simply because they could not run fast enough.....its a big price to pay for a few minutes of excitement for Joe Public.
 Beachippy
Msg: 52
view profile
History
MELBOURNE CUP ~ Tips Wanted :)
Posted: 11/3/2009 1:56:00 AM
Hot tips ?... used welding rods.>>don't step on them barefoot...

I almost went into the local pub to watch the gg's and have a chat to the assembled on a nice sunny afternoon....however a few mates turned up..a noisy diesel 4x4 rattled into the yard..and coughed to a stop...

cool.. I hope they brought tinned liquid alcoholic gifts.... ..as my fridge was dry...
but alas no,.....

Oh!! that's right,one says, it's melbourne cup day... beauty....who's running?...

ha ha . ... now these pair of blokes collect native foilage,ferns,mosses,fronds from blackboy trees,etc... all under strict Gov permits and licences...for an exporter at woombye.. and they have been away out the back of Mt Mee forestry camping out and collecting for a few days in the most rugged tracks and gullies...

they had snapped the shocky mount off the diff housing on the truck and the shocky was hanging down........and only stopped in because I've got the welding gear.. and I am always patching up his chassis and broken body parts....

so,within minutes of us watching the gg's run around...their anxious looks told me it was time to go crawling under his 4x4, sussing out a plan to fix this thing for them... and then getting showered in sparks in the process...welding,grinding,painting and repeatedly banging my head on the underside of the tray...

mates rates mind you... nada.... I just wish they had at least turned up with a 6 pack of bourbos...

...if only they'd realised it was the day that stopped a nation...huh?... oh yeh, right...
 Naamah
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/3/2009 2:41:53 AM
Prefer to watch a horse run around a paddock than a racetrack.

Well said.

Personally at racetime, I sat quietly and spent a few moments thinking about the thousands of young, fit , healthy horses who have been destroyed this year simply because they could not run fast enough....

Yep, this was my first year of boycotting the whole thing since you dun edukated me about the suffering of race horses. I have somehow managed to avoid all media coverage before, during and since. And at about the time the race would have been on I decided to do something nice for a couple of animals, so I took my dogs down to the creek. I managed to refrain from beating them to make them run really fast until their lungs collapse in order to determine who was quickest. But only just.
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/3/2009 3:00:55 AM
......, Go long on pork bellies !
 Beachippy
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2009 3:22:47 AM
.. funny you should mention pork bellies....

I had a bowl full of the belly strips marinating overnight in a chinese type red brew...

and after I finished the welding job... I raked a small area of twigs in a pile... gathered sticks from a few metres around and made a good bed of ashes ..

and BBQ'd them on a wire mesh grill over the coals .... mmmmmmmm. tasty....

then buried a few spuds in the coals and left them there to blacken up for afters.... ....

sticky fingers....
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > MELBOURNE CUP ~ Tips Wanted :)