Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 asteliapuff39
Msg: 132
what would u ask admin for if u could?Page 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I have wondered why is it that theres not a bi tab on pof...
just wondering because theres some of us that enjoy both sides... women and men.... and maybe we would like to get to be available for both rather than just gender every so often...
 Deceased~
Msg: 134
what would u ask admin for if u could?
Posted: 1/5/2008 1:33:58 AM

(2) a new "Relocatability" field in the profile page:

I would think that if a person was interested in someone, they would contact them and such issues related to relocation would be solved in that conversation as it progressed. If you want to be near them bad enough, you will find a way to be near them.

(3) a "Preview" page for forum postings.

That is in place as well. You write your post and view it in the thread. At that point, you have 15 minutes to either modify it or delete it entirely and start over.

(5) To discourage bulk-mailers, add "Exclusive Special Delivery" messages. When you send one, you say how many days it's good for, 1 to 15.

That is unneeded as I see it. There is no need for a prioritizing of messages sent. We are talking about simple contact e-mails, not urgent communications. Any person is capable of making a quick decision on whether to reply or not and I can't imagine anyone needing as much as fifteen days to think about it.
 Deceased~
Msg: 136
Posted: 1/5/2008 2:31:38 AM
No doubt it is a bit more "clunky" as you say, but I run the Firefox browser and the only thing I have to redo on the edit is the quote boxes. The HTML remains, even though it appears different after having gone through the translators the first time.

The practice thread is a great place to play with the edit functions until you get it to the point you can use it easily.

On that point. My "Ask Admin" suggestion is to dis-allow the ASCII pictures in the profiles. I have nothing against people who know people who died of cancer nor against having a bit of fun but it is starting to get ridiculous.

Many years ago, we used to post on BBS systems and draw real-time pictures back and forth almost like each message was a video frame with a caption underneath. The thread could be read as a comic strip when done. If that is allowed in the profile, then it is only a matter of time before we start seeing ASCII pictures in the forum messages, which is the height of chat.

Plain text is always best in a forum such as this and in a profile. There are people who can draw you a picture of the Mona Lisa in ASCII text but, like excessive use of the emoticons, it quickly becomes annoying in a thread.

I would also ask Admin to code a hard page width so a thread or profile page does not become virtually unreadable because of a long URL or a string of repeated characters.

( I have edited this message four times now and not touched the "bold" coding BTW)
 Deceased~
Msg: 138
Posted: 1/5/2008 5:27:48 AM

for me the weblinks can't be brought back.

You are correct. I never tried editing links before today.
Thanks for the education.

Ok. I agree. I want a preview screen as well.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 140
Ask Admin
Posted: 1/5/2008 6:12:06 AM
Disallow the ASCII pictures in the profiles.

Some ASCII art doesn't work on profiles or the forums because we cannot have multiple spaces in a row.

The lack of formatting control adds additional limitation.

What some folks are doing in their profiles does not break any rules.

Live and let live I say.

»((((º>
 Deceased~
Msg: 142
Ask Admin
Posted: 1/5/2008 7:28:22 AM

Give the post number when we're quoting a specific response, perhaps even in lieu of a name.

I'll agree with that one. Many forum formats will have a "Quote" button alongside the "Reply" button and clicking it will automatically do something like:

(Username) said in message #140: "I'd like to see the message number when I am responding to a specific post. I recently learned that quoting the poster's name is a violation of the rules, but that is all I have.

Give the post number when we're quoting a specific response, perhaps even in lieu of a name."

And you can just erase the part you don't wish to include in the quote. That would be impossible if you are trying to quote several people in one post, though.

It would, however, be a good practice if people would include the message number this way and would require no software changes:

Msg#140: Give the post number when we're quoting a specific response, perhaps even in lieu of a name.

It would be wonderful if we had a button that one click would write
[ quote][ b] Message# [ /b][ /quote]

And you could just click inside the code and enter the message number and paste the text to be quoted. Such could be added when and if the preview page is adopted, perhaps?
 Deceased~
Msg: 143
Ask Admin
Posted: 1/5/2008 7:34:54 AM
And yes, having the message number on the edit page would be nice and very easy to code in, I should imagine.
 Deceased~
Msg: 153
Ask Admin
Posted: 1/5/2008 9:26:19 AM

Msg#152:? Matches any single character. Example: appl? matches apply or apple. OR singl?
* Matches any number of characters. Example: appl* matches application OR prof*
~ Stemming. Example: apply~ matches apply, applies, applied OR message or messages or messaging etc.

The POF search does work like that. If you search for threads on "appl" you get "apples" "applause" "appliances" etc.

If you search for "ete' you get "delete" "sweetest" and "diabetes"

I believe the reason many people post some redundant threads is because they do the opposite. They will search on "profile parameters" and come up with one thread that isn't what they want to talk about but if they searched for "profile" they would find those many threads that discuss what is in peoples' profiles. etc.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 161
Ask Admin
Posted: 1/5/2008 8:44:49 PM

I am a NOOB of the POND...for now!! not 'cluelessbonehead'...far, far from it!!

Good post, joeys gurl. We were all new once, I appreciate what you said as I got whatever help needed when I asked for it. And from people that were understanding of my "newbie" status and truly helpful.

I do try to post things here that are helpful and before I respond to a thread, if it's not something I know for sure I look it up. I'd rather not post than to give someone bad information.

I have no problem with people being new, I don't think most do. It's those that buck at the suggestion of reading the rules or criticize those who are actually trying to be helpful. (NOT referring to you at all!) It's every members responsibility to use the site according to the rules, if someone wants help with that, I would certainly help them any way I could. Some just have a surly attitude and the "shoot the messenger" mentality.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 168
Ask Admin
Posted: 1/6/2008 2:06:07 AM
I would like to see the addition of a Rose emoticon added to the ones currently available, similar to the one on Y! Messenger. It's rather nice looking and one of my favorites.

Google and include "forums.plentyoffish.com" in quotes in the search field along with your search criteria.

Google searching for a username is also quite interesting.

Ticketoride
Msg: 171
Ask Admin
Posted: 1/8/2008 4:20:10 AM
a "Preview" page for forum postings.

Until the Admin implements such a Thing, you can do this ---> Forums: Preview Message.

Its far from perfect, as some Things won't render the same by E-Mail as they would on the Forums, but works reasonably well.

dis-allow the ASCII pictures in the profiles.

As long as its not offensive, not Spam or Scam, then there should be no Issue. If however it comes with a Note such as" "Please support ...", then its Spam. Its kinda hard to block that sort of Thing anyways.

Even 8 months later if I am replying to said poster, as accommodated by the site, I'm breaking a rule that they are enabling.

Doesn't say that. Have a look here again ---> User Names
Its about Thread Topics & Headings.

I would like to refer to the number more easily and not risk a ban.

There are no Bans for naming a Poster for the Purpose of Attention to a "Reply" you are making.

The OP is not a , but creates the Subject Line and sets the Topic of the Thread.

or act as a wannabe moderator and offer inaccurate advice/suggestions/help in the help forums

False/Incorrect Advices are deleted.

Less threads that are actually worthy would be deleted for lack of a "read through" which I know happens.

Doesn't work that Way ---> Forums: Redundant Threads/Archival Value

Except the problem with a lot of wannabes is they think they know the rules but they don't. They either misquote rules or quote non existant rules. Not only that but its surprising the number of wannabes that don't even follow the same rules they try to quote. In my humble opinion, if you can't follow ALL the rules, then you have no business telling others how to follow the rules.

And that makes up better than 95% ...

This is how my worksite works and it's nice because I can choose the level of detail I want based on boolean searches.

Been discussed, just a Matter for the Admin to revamp the Site and make better Search Functions ---> Search: Current Limited Search Options

Being able to do the search of the body of the text would indeed be good...

Can be done via 'Google', but runs like a Car on 3 Wheels ---> Search: 'Google' Search Parameters

Maybe there should be a help forum on this site, where only mods could reply to questions in it?

Its OK as is. If there was an Issue with it, we would have done something about it a long Time ago. Those who disrupt are ordered or kicked off.

What i'd also ask Admin for is a ban on the use of emoticons by members who post reply's to members who ask for help and advice in the help/suggestions part of the forum, emoticons such as these.. or or

In some Situations their use is quite appropriate to convey a suitable Response such as for yet another Thread denying IE Contact, while at the same Time claiming these Filters rob them of their "Constitutional Rights", how "anal" Administration is about Profanity Filters, why the "POF Gestapo" won't let them chat up or hijack the Topic, "What happened to my 5th 'Nice Guy' Thread?", etc., esp. if someone has been too lazy to search for one. Also well reserved for those of a rather "thick" Disposition or Trolls looking for some Bait.

So message 140 is message 135 tomorrow.

Has been like that for quite a While ...
 Ticketoride
Msg: 176
Ask Admin
Posted: 1/9/2008 3:44:24 PM
I was wondering whether any of you have time to actually read the forums as they are being written or if you rely almost entirely on the report threads.

And then some ...

it is very rare to see any mods posting in the other forums and I would think it gets ... boring?

Getting on to 4 Years now ... all pretty much redundant ...

Deceased~
Msg: 182
Posted: 1/13/2008 12:22:29 PM

And I really like the new dropdown menu on the Post History page that lets us look at the posts in each section of forum.

Agreed. That is a good idea. Thanks for pointing that out. Never noticed that before. Is it new?
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 186
What would you ask Admin if you could ?
Posted: 1/13/2008 4:32:02 PM
When I do a thread search for a topic and get a list of existing threads, if I go to read one of them, I cannot get back to my original search.

Are you using Internet Explorer? One thing I never liked about IE is that it seems to want to automatically refresh pages even if you tell it to NEVER do it. You could try opening the results in a new window, or tab if you have tabs.

Thudpucker
Msg: 191
Posted: 1/18/2008 10:00:58 AM
Usually, digital cameras have the ability to make videos with sound. Any chance we can get a video review on the profiles? Seeing and hearing a fishie would be interesting and welcome addition.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 193
Posted: 1/18/2008 4:26:40 PM
I think it would be great to disable that feature on that particular Forum. Since all they are doing is introducing themselves and we are welcoming them.

They often turn quickly into Chat Threads, but if we nab Voters who call off perfectly good Threads, then they'll have that Privilege taken away. Bit by bit we weed out the Voting Trolls.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 196
Posted: 1/18/2008 8:22:17 PM
my Lady wishes for Lions

Why Lions? Something specific caught your Fancy?

Actually, I like your other Idea ... a Google-labeled $ 1 Billion Sack of Gold for a Virtual Gift.
Would go well with Jokes.

... you are probably Just a lonely geek doing Apache/PHP and perhaps a spattering of PERL in your bedroom.

... and the Admin isn't doing any Apache's in his Bedroom either, his Mail Settings clearly indicate he isn't specifically looking for that sort of Thing ...
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 201
What would you ask admin for if you could?
Posted: 1/19/2008 2:55:24 PM

It is a waste of my time and their time if I write to someone who is 24 if they only want to date people aged 18 - 27.

If you are blocked from messaging them by a filter, you can't write them anyway.

One way to achieve what you suggest is to skip right to a person's message restrictions when viewing a profile. If you are within their parameters, have a good look at the rest of their profile and go from there. Since I smoke, I generally look for Must Not Smoke first. Hey, it works for me.

A reverse matching system would be interesting, but not really necessary. There would still be no guarantees even if we had such a system.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2008 5:01:59 PM
I like 202 because if you want to get to know someone looking at the threads they start is just as enlightening as their last few posts.

I also wondered something the other day but I don't know what form would be appropriate.

Sort of like a board for prayer requests but not necessarily just that because a lot of people that are not particularly religious believe in karma. Higher power chats or something, idk. It really doesn't seem like something that would work in a thread format and probably would not warrant actually being a separate forum, meh. If someone is in the hospital, conditions could be updated or what have you.

Sort of like a board for prayer requests but not necessarily just that because a lot of people that are not particularly religious believe in karma.

Wrong Place for that. This is a Forum. Plenty of other Sites out there that cater specifically to that.

If someone is in the hospital, conditions could be updated or what have you.

Apply to any of the Moderators to get an OK for that. What we don't want are the Forums being trolled up with Pity & Attention Seeking Nonsense.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Just a Suggestion: what would u ask admin for if u could?
Posted: 1/19/2008 7:15:16 PM

Y'know how you have 2 free roses per month...how 'bout 2 free emails to someone who's filter list you are outside of? Lots of people don't understand those filters are totally restrictive. So, twice in a month, if you started to send an email and it said you were outside of their mask, you could opt to use one of your free passes.

Kind of defeats the point of e-mail filters but I was wondering if there would be a way for someone to get those e-mails in a separate link so that they could at least click on a profile and see if they wanted to read the mail. Sort of like the viewed me thing, a filter cache.

YOUR desire to contact someone DOES NOT override their CHOICE of by whom they wish to be contacted.

Some people set up the e-mail filters and never give them another thought, particularly if they are new to the forums and don't realize that people may e-mail them because of it. It would be nice to give them the option of rejecting or accepting a particular user or message that is blocked by those restrictions.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Just a Suggestion: what would u ask admin for if u could?
Posted: 1/19/2008 7:21:25 PM
No actually it is relative to the e-mail filters. If someone would like to e-mail you but can't because of filters preventing males or females, or someone of a particular age. They could have the option of seeing it in the same format as regular mail. They could open the e-mail or click on the profile to see if they even want to consider opening the mail but it would not go to the regular in-box and could only be accessed by an e-mail filter link.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 222
Posted: 1/19/2008 10:49:41 PM
I have seen a lot of threads lately that are somehow kept because either people are voting deliberately to keep these threads or people are voting to keep these threads cause they arent fully knowlegable on the rules.

The Bulk I have busted so far have been 100% pure unadulterated clueless Idiots who have never even posted on the Forums. I am going to ask the Admin to restrict the Process to a minimum Post Count before the Voting Feature even becomes available.

I put a few threads up for deletion because they were posted in the Event Hosts forum. For those of you that don't have access to this forum, it is a forum for the discussion of hosting events. Yet although these threads were blantantly in violation (for being off topic), the user base voted to keep them.

Local Posters are usually far more out of the Loop than Global Forum Posters are.

is when some "delete trigger finger" votes for deletion for a reason that so far from what the thread actually is.

It's usually not everyone's Take on it, often just what a couple of Idiots call for.
The Majority wins, and is the Reason posted.

I would lik to see moderators be able to suspend pic voting on those users that violate pic rules.

No Time for that unfortunately, doesn't make the List in the Order of Importance of Things.

Is it just me or do the pics that are really blurry and even though they show the members face in them.....but you still can't see the members face clearly in them, that they should be voted for deletion.

Related Links:Super close Ups
Recognizable Headshot Criteria

That there would be an option for us to find all the posts a person has ever made on the forums...not just the last 25, including our own.

Seconded and Thirded !!!

That the people who continuously start threads that are redundant, and where they insult the people who tell them it's redundant be banned for life from ever being able to start another thread ever again??

They have been getting nailed hard and heavy lately.

That the people who continuously bash, insult, and degrade an entire gender, and/or who constantly call women whores, sluts, semen receptacles and other derogatory names on the forums be banned for life?

Let the Magic of the Forum Rule Violations - Report Thread do it's work.

a seperate Forum for the Under 30 crowd would be useful to them.

The younger the more Chat. If it was up to me, 30/45 & "Ask a ..." Categories would be wiped from the Face of the Earth.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 224
Posted: 1/20/2008 9:14:45 AM
"But my Lady desires Lions, she must have Lions, please give us Lions!"

Your lady must have one mean roar... C'mon be creative....tell her it IS a lion....dressed in a bear costume.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 230
Posted: 1/20/2008 3:06:25 PM
It took me months and lots of help from Pandy and Trapped before I got the rules....

Things are getting more streamlined and organized as Time goes on. We are already getting a lot less redundant Threads and no where near as many People asking the samething over and over even though the Site has expanded exponentially.

5 day suspension because ignorance of the rules is not a valid excuse to violate them.

Most of the Rules are just "Common Sense" anyways. They have to issued and enforced because some People don't possess any.

in my opinion a very irritating posting style.

Already part of the Posting Rules.

Forum Rules
F)No irritating posting Styles, including use of all Caps and excessive Punctuation/Blank Lines/Smilies.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 237
ask admin
Posted: 1/23/2008 5:57:02 PM
"When I suggested that another field I would like to see is for men to indicate if their body (chest) is hairy or smooth, trappedonbayst wrote"

First off, in the big picture, many women don't care about that. If it's someone they really like and get along great with. It IS a convenient means to get out of telling someone they don't want to see again..."sorry, you're a great guy...I just can't get past the chest hair thing".

Face it, male or female, it's easier to find some hook than to tell someone "I'm just flat out not interested". I've done that...and while most protest to the ends of the earth it's what they want...desire...BEG FOR..experience says otherwise.

The longer and more detailed you explain exactly why......it's just an excuse for them to try to argue you into all the reasons you should be attracted to them.

Forget chest hair, shave your legs, stick some boobs on and go out looking like you're a woman. Trust me, most men couldn't put up with it for a week.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >