Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 good_catch77
Msg: 3
men: would you hold your significant others purse in publicPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
it dont bother me i do it all the time for friends even going for "pads" and everything.
 Herding_Cats
Msg: 8
men: would you hold your significant others purse in public
Posted: 11/7/2007 11:52:28 PM
Watch out for the black hole at the bottom lest ye be sucked in to disappear forever with the rhinestone barrette, the favorite lipstick, that $20 bill, the nail clippers, the brand new pack of gum and that last tampon you could have sworn was waiting patiently since last month.

Oh, and the furball next to it? That's just my hairbrush.
 daffodil111
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/8/2007 12:16:05 AM
When my ex used to carry my handbag for me.. shopping or whatever (because it was just too damn heavy and my back was killing me) ... I used to fall in love with him all over again. I used to melt with pride. I couldn't get the silly grin off my face.
Daffodil
 Deceased~
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/8/2007 2:26:54 AM

If the guy HAS to do it, he should huddle it like its a football.

That is good advice. If he is carrying it because of a dangerous area, then it is better protected carrying it that way. In any other case, most people would regard it as him obviously "holding" it for a woman and not actually "wearing" it.

When I was married and was asked to do that while she was in the dressing room, I'd just find a chair, sit down and put the purse between my feet. It was safe there and again, it was clear I wasn't wearing in in any sense.

Now if some other fellow comes up and hits on ya while you are holding it... you just hit him with your purse for goodness sake!
 fun and sane 4 u
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/8/2007 4:43:50 AM
Sure I would it would let the world see that she is with me and Im proud to do so
eat you eyes out lol
 Thatguy67
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2007 4:50:06 AM
I've known guys who have held their g/f's purse in public. I've seen them hold it with both hands or under their arms. Never see them use the purse strap.

And for holding women's magazines in public, they're often rolled up with the cover on the inside.
 CEO of Hoagie Inc.
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/8/2007 6:02:29 AM
Absolutely not! If she insists on bringing all that crap with her then she can lug it around herself all day.
 SlingDad
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/8/2007 6:13:31 AM
Sure I've done it while she was shopping or in the ladies room, but by the handle, not the strap, by my side, with a smirky smile on my face for those who notice me holding it.
 Shylent
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2007 5:31:48 PM
I have done it and don't mind.
Especially if she is willing to hold my purse (my purse takes the form of a large backpack and serves as the same function as a purse).
I also "wear" it by the strap thereby keeping my hands free. least i set the purse down somewhere and forget i set it down. That and my hands are free to do something with my phone or pda while she is in the store. though if there is enough room and i expect to be in possession of it a while i might just put her purse in my "purse".

I also have no problem buying feminine products on her behalf at the store if i am making a trip there anyways. Women buy us our male products for us when they are at the store its only fair to do the same in return :)
 jd28spot
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/9/2007 5:42:41 PM
No No No No......No way, Never!!! Not in public, not at home or anywhere else will I hold, carry or even touch your purse. That's a woman's personal possession and who knows what is buried in there. Men do not belong anywhere near that item. I'll stand by and guard it for you but I refuse to touch it.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2007 8:47:53 PM
No problem at all (clutches it like a Super Bowl receiver going into the end zone).

Not only that, but even when a woman has TOLD me to go into her purse and get something, I'll still refuse and hand it over to her to get it herself.

That's for two reasons :

1) Respect for her privacy
2) Fear of actually venturing into that black hole.
 hd321
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2007 10:48:46 PM
My SO better hold my purse for me! He's usually sticking his keys, wallet, and sunglasses in there. If you use it, you hold it!
 pet_tech
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2007 10:55:05 AM
Only if the purse went with my outfit.

I don't wanna look tacky.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2007 2:09:44 PM
I don't see why not. I've held my mother's purse, my sister's purse. A strange woman once asked me to hold her purse in a night-club. This is no different to me.
 Guy4theForums
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/19/2008 7:49:16 AM

MSG#1~OP~just passing time wrote:i have noticed that when I go out that men carry their wives or girlfriends purses i see this anywhere/everywhere whenever i am out in publicdo you see anything wrong with it and would you do it yourself as for me i dont think i would let a man hold my purse, unless i wasnt feeling well
i now, i couldnt think of anything else to talk about
oh well, hope to hear what your responses will be
I have carried past girlfriends/X wifes purse.Mainly like if they was shoping for cloths.It takes both of their hands to hold the shirt up and look at it and then both hands to fold them and put them back on the shelf.I've also noticed guys walking past and looking at me and smiling or grinning I just smile an grin back Humm this could be a double thread. Is the guy grinning because I'm holding on to the purse? Or is he smiling wishing it was him holding her purse?
 cyberxen
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/19/2008 9:20:03 AM
Proper protocol calls for the man to hold it under his arm, not by the strap. One could lose 500 "guy points" for holding it by the strap, plus another 75 if said purse happens to match his shoes.

Additionally, rule 795.6 part B specifically states that the man may "help himself to whatever chewing gum, breath mints, granola bars, or other edibles contained therein".
 Damienevil
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/19/2008 1:43:28 PM
There is never a legitimate reason for a guy to hold a purse because at what point in her normal shopping or day can she not hold her own purse.
 Archades
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/20/2008 10:34:42 AM
I've held friends purses' whilst they went to toilet/whatever at clubs.
Didn't bother me at all, but they didn't match my watch.
 maple59
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/20/2008 10:55:08 AM
When I was married the only time I held her purse was usually when shopping and she what's to try something on. I just held it...didn't wear it. Didn't seem to be a big deal. You'd have to be awfully insecure about your sexuality if you thought holding a purse is not manly!
I saw someone mention buying "pads" earlier. I had no problem buying those for the ex and my daughters while getting groceries. My philosophy was that I would rather buy them then to have to use them.
 maple59
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/20/2008 11:09:08 AM
^^^^ Dude, I don't have an issue with it. You do, so let it go at that.
If it's something you don't want to do then don't. Don't criticise others that don't have your issues!
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/20/2008 11:37:25 AM
I see a few things wrong with it. Seems like a maturity thing to me.

After a certain age, mommy no longer carries your stuff. I don't expect an infant to carry their own diaper bag, you don't put the four year old incharge of his granola bars for the duration of the trip, nor would I make someone put their wheelchair in the trunk by themselves.
If you are an able bodied adult in a normal situation who can't take responsibility for your items, why should he?

If you know you're going to dance or in any way be inhibited by a purse, don't take it. Wallet, IDs, a little bit of make up, cell phone and a pen can get stashed in many places.

It's also not rude when the guy says no when you ask. It is rude if he goes through it, but that's a lot of temptation, anyway. What is so important you had to take it with you, but don't need to keep it with you.

I bet if guys DID go through the purse they'd never hold it after that once they see what she brought.
 timegoes
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/20/2008 1:04:58 PM

You may get some passing approval from your girlfriend or female friend you hope will one day see what a "great guy" you are for doing stuff like this, but the truth is you look like a ****. If you command any respect from her you can say no

That's just ridiculous. I've had my guy hold my purse before. Say I have to bend down to tie my shoe and I don't want it to sit on the dirty ground! Besides if I hold carry his hockey stick for him while he carries his bag does that mean he doesn't respect me? Should I get so offended that he would even suggest that I hold something of his for a moment because he's making me look like a ass? I'll hold his stuff because I want to be a good girlfriend and he'll hold mine because he's an amazing boyfriend.

Open doors, stand when she approaches the table, walk between her and traffic, hold her purse while she tries on clothes. Momma taught me manners, and I'm confident enough in my sexuallity to stand in a biker bar and hold her purse.

There is TOTALLY a difference between holding a purse like a p-whipped maid, and holding a purse because you are protecting her and being responsible for her well being.

Daddy taught me a thing or two about women too; Threat em like an angel in front of their friends, and thet'll act like a devil in private just to keep you.

LowAcapella these words speak to your true character and in my opinion you are a real keeper. Good luck to you and I hope you meet someone who's as good a woman as you seem to be a man.
 timegoes
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/20/2008 1:21:19 PM
[quoteJohn Wayne would do it.

No he wouldn't.

Sure he would, and he's mash in the face of anyone who looked sideways at him for it.

No, but he'd slap the **** out of you for saying he would hold a woman's purse.

John Wayne Blue Steel 1934- The heroine is kidnapped when she finds out that a local buisnessman has been stealing the towns money in order to force them out because there's oil on their lands. John Wayne finds her trapped in an old barn and brakes a hole in the side of the building so she can climb out. She passes him her saddle bag which he gladly holds for her while she makes her escape. Saddle bag looks and serves the same function as a purse. Curious isn't it?
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >