Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Why are we in Afghanistan      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gottobeme
Msg: 21
Why are we in AfghanistanPage 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
most if not all of this has been coverend in another post on afghanistan on what the media is failing to report in afghanistan.
interestingly enough, posters whose positions were clearly shown to be wrong - for example, that the us 'created' bin laden - are now here, hawking the same tripe as if no one ever proved otherwise. the other myth i'm seeing repeated here, by some new posters but also by some who bloody well know better know, is that the us in in afghanistan for oil, another issue that was clearly disproven.
excuse me while i go find the people who had the facts on this and ask them to post here - i think it's about time the left wing posters who keep putting out this garbage started getting chased around these forums until people know them for the propagandists that they are.
 NwMke
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Why are we in Afghanistan
Posted: 11/24/2007 9:13:14 PM

most if not all of this has been coverend in another post on afghanistan on what the media is failing to report in afghanistan.
interestingly enough, posters whose positions were clearly shown to be wrong - for example, that the us 'created' bin laden - are now here, hawking the same tripe as if no one ever proved otherwise. the other myth i'm seeing repeated here, by some new posters but also by some who bloody well know better know, is that the us in in afghanistan for oil, another issue that was clearly disproven.
excuse me while i go find the people who had the facts on this and ask them to post here - i think it's about time the left wing posters who keep putting out this garbage started getting chased around these forums until people know them for the propagandists that they are.

I for one have not seen any proof so if you have a link lets take a peek at what you are calling "proof".
 exodusi1
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2007 1:59:18 AM

When you think Afghanistan Imagine

Where 20 years of war has totally crippled the economy, and you must try to somehow survive day-by-day by scrounging enough food to feed your children. Where people do not have the facilities to receive an education. Where people do not have the facilities to receive treatment at hospitals. Where, on average, men die at 40 years of age and women at 43. Where hundreds of thousands of people are maimed, disabled, or blind because of war and land mines. Where you face a high chance of becoming blind or crippled because of the lack of fresh fruit and vegetables, causing vitamin deficiency. If you are blind or crippled, no one can help you because those that are not blind or crippled need help as well

http://www.afghanistans.com/

That is from what appears to be the official Afghanistan website.
 gottobeme
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/25/2007 9:14:23 PM

There is a nice thread in the science/philosophy group arguing that the moon landings were faked - you might feel quite comfortable there.

I don't have the time - or bandwidth, I'm currently travelling south on a sailboat and using wifi to connect from an anchorage - to go to the thread, which is under current events, positive things in Afghanistan- what mainstream media is not reporting, and copy all of what is there. However, all of the silly conspiracy theories, war for oil theories, all of the usual bunkum which I'm seeing repeated here, has been thoroughly shown for what it is - crap being recycled by people who are too lazy to bother looking up the facts.
If anyone is truly interested, look up the posts in that thread by dunrich, or motownmaniax, or mssquirrly- verifiable, solid, credible information on why we're in Afghanistan, plus the debunking of all the nutty theories brought out by the left wingnuts, who can't see past oil - there is none to speak of in Afghanistan - or whatever other silly theory these propogandists are currently spouting.
 IslandDreams56
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2007 5:53:18 AM
GTBM:

Again you have shoved your foot halfway down your throat.
You seem to be able to talk around it. Just how big IS your mouth?

Afghanistan, once again.....has no oil.

None.

That is not the prize in Afghanistan. The issue is whether the US
or Russia has control of the conduit for East Asian oil.
If you are still trying to get your brain around that fact, I feel sorry for you.

Your education has slowed lately, too many margaritas?
I hope you can apply your wit and wisdom to a reply, without resorting
to meaningless drivel and personal attacks.
 IslandDreams56
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2007 12:43:51 AM
Yes.

Let's give thanks to all the people who are making a difference in this world.
Gods Bless....

Have a safe and happy holiday all.
 alietr
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Why are we in Afghanistan - 5 reasons why
Posted: 12/24/2007 2:24:28 AM
#1 Reason: Pipeline from the Caspian Basin Oil to the warm water ports of the Indian Ocean. The proposed project runs the pipeline through Afghanistan and then through Pakistan to the Indian Ocean for transport to world markets by ship.

#2 Reason: Basing opportunities to support military defense and control (if need be) of Mid-East/Central Asia oil fields.

#3 Reason: Political gain from knee-jerk patriotic public response to being at "war." This is wearing off mostly as people start to assess the gain and loss for the average American of bankrupting the country and wasting our military to benefit a few multinational oil companies. There will always be those who cling to the fantasy that launching a war of choice is a great deal for Americans.

#4 Reason: The Neo-con ideology that asserts that America is an Empire and should do all it can, primariliy through military force, to secure American dominance and hegemony through out the world. There are Neo-cons in both major parties, but there seem to be many more in the Republican Party. The Democratic Party has theirs as well, and some of them are in leadership posititions. But at least half the Democratic party is clearly opposed to the Neo-Con agenda.

#5 Reason: Convergent sphere's of interest that for various reasons, from greed to utopianism, came together to start and continue to advocate for continued US occupation of Afghanistan. This reason covers arms maunfacturors to opium farmers to mercinarries, to missionaries. From Uncle Duke to the 18 year old kid who volunteers because he wants to help out.

Ulimately the whole deal is a scam, but it is a shame and a tradgedy that the US is squndering what many saw as an opportunity in Afghanistan to positively effect a country that saw so much suffering from the Soviet war and then the civil war. Istead of effecting positive change though, it appears we may just be turning 20 years of war into 30 years of war or more.

Here's a link to lots of information about the Neo-Conservative agenda, with links to writings by leading self proclaimed Neo-cons so you can see for yourself what they have to say for themselves. I recommend Neoconservative 101 just to get an overview.
http://www.csmonitor.com/specials/neocon/spheresInfluence.html

Or this: http://www.csmonitor.com/specials/neocon/neocon101.html

So why are we in Afghanistan? Resources, proximity, dogma, greed, advarice, and supersttion. Those who still maintain we are there to get the "Boogie Man" aren't paying attention. They always fail to mention that Afghan leader Karizi was a long time executive with Uno-Cal, a multinational oil company that is one of the primary players in the pipeline plan. Funny how an oil man ended up as leader of Afghanistan, isn't it?
 themadfiddler
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/31/2008 10:05:38 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this BBC documentary available on Youtube yet, "The Power Of Nightmares" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAUDcmaJNWQ) which traces the origins of violent Islamic fundamentalism, and the beginnings of the Neo-Conservative movement in America. It also shows how long the West has been in Afghanistan after starting the "War on Terror" which has been going on for a long time...way back since the end of WW2 when we called it the Cold War.

After the Neo-Cons were born under the paranoid delusions of Strauss and his wunderkinds like Wolfowitz, who soon enlisted Cheney and Rumsfeld, the Soviets - already falling to bits - were portrayed as the "Evil Empire" and made the first fantasy opponant for the mythical "White Hat" cowboys of Strauss' imaginary USA to fight. As a part of that fight, the Mujahadeen were used and later thrown away (like the Kurds in Iraq) as expendable chess pieces.

Three hours, good filmmaking and a very detailed and surprising bit of historical revelation for those not familiar with the origins of the Neo-Cons or the current Islamic fundamentalist movement...or the fearmongering myth of a worldwide terrorist network that is, ironically repeated black propaganda straight out of the files of the CIA but re-written for a new era with new foes and new ideologies.

*cue the Gunsmoke Music...*
 themadfiddler
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/1/2008 8:39:17 PM

the taliban and al quiada are our enemies and we will engage them wherever they may be. remember you are either with us or against us. that still goes! better to fight them over there than on the streets of boston or youngstown ohio ( we have enough gang fighting and shooting now. no room for the taliban!! LOL)

Replace "Taliban" and "Al Qaeda" with "Communist" and "Reds" and you have the same wet dream mythology cooked up by the Straussian disciples like Wolfowitz to be spoonfed to the ignorant masses, but not believed in themselves ever since the Ford Administration.

If'n you ain't with Marshall Dillon, yer agin' 'im...

Baaa...baaa...

Actually I think it's about time you DID fight them on the streets of Boston and Youngstown, Ohio. In fact you should have to on a regular basis. If the average american, like the Irish of Derry and Falls Road, had to see terror up close and personal it might only take a few decades to realise what a screaming bloody obscenity war was and start making moves to dismantle it instead of just fighting it in other peoples back yards.

I don't think you'd be so eager to make war if the street you lived in was turned into a shooting gallery and every commute to work was a matter of life and death.

There Were Roses
(Tommy Sands)

My song for you this evening, it's not to make you sad
Nor for adding to the sorrows of this troubled northern land,
But lately I've been thinking and it just won't leave my mind
I'll tell you of two friends one time who were both good friends of mine.

Allan Bell from Banagh, he lived just across the fields,
A great man for the music and the dancing and the reels.
O'Malley came from South Armagh to court young Alice fair,
And we'd often meet on the Ryan Road and the laughter filled the air.

There were roses, roses
There were roses
And the tears of the people
Ran together

Though Allan, he was Protestant, and Sean was Catholic born,
It never made a difference for the friends, it was strong.
And sometimes in the evening when we heard the sound of drums
We said, ``It won't divide us. We always will be one.''

For the ground our fathers plowed in, the soil, it is the same,
And the places where we say our prayers have just got different names.
We talked about the friends who died, and we hoped there'd be no more.
It's little then we realized the tragedy in store.

It was on a Sunday morning when the awful news came round.
Another killing has been done just outside Newry Town.
We knew that Allan danced up there, we knew he liked the band.
When we heard that he was dead we just could not understand.

We gathered at the graveside on that cold and rainy day,
And the minster he closed his eyes and prayed for no revenge.
All all of us who knew him from along the Ryan Road,
We bowed our heads and said a prayer for the resting of his soul.

Now fear, it filled the countryside. There was fear in every home
When a car of death came prowling round the lonely Ryan Road.
A Catholic would be killed tonight to even up the score.
``Oh, Christ! It's young O'Malley that they've taken from the door.''

``Allan was my friend,'' he cried. He begged them with his fear,
But centuries of hatred have ears that cannot hear.
An eye for an eye was all that filled their minds
And another eye for another eye till everyone is blind.

So my song for you this evening, it's not to make you sad
Nor for adding to the sorrows of our troubled northern land,
But lately I've been thinking and it just won't leave my mind.
I'll tell you of two friends one time who were both good friends of mine.

I don't know where the moral is or where this song should end,
But I wondered just how many wars are fought between good friends.
And those who give the orders are not the ones to die.
It's Bell and O'Malley and the likes of you and I.

There were roses, roses
There were roses

Copyright Tommy Sands
Recorded by Maloney/Keene/O'Connell on There Were Roses
 gentalltheway
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2008 6:18:07 PM

you need to brush up on your international law, and history.
we weren't attacked by germany in wwII, or wwI.

What does that have to do with the price of eggs? Two wars that were very different from the one in Afghanistan. And I need to brush up on my history? My history is quite fine thank you. The thing here is that I have this fault of leaving wars that happened nearly 90 and 65 years ago in the past as they cannot be taken as an example for the one caused by 911. Just call me crazy on that one. Furthermore, countries involved in both wars (WW1 & WW2) were noticed with a Declaration of War. This was for conquest/power. Allies were under attack...not from terrorists/criminals but from a sovereign country which cannot be compared in any shape or form with Afghanistan.

Since you brought it up, are you one of those who believes that the US won ww2?

just because a nation doesn't attack you doesn't mean you do not have the right to attack them

Really? Since when? International laws as well as the ones from United Nations are quite clear on that subject. It's not because the US couldn't care less about laws/rules/regulations that it makes it right.

Now please let me know where I need to brush up on International law as I am quite interested to see what you will come up with.
 bob0colo
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 11:09:53 AM
An utterly facile and ignorant assessment. Bin Laden made their reasoning quite clear in his 1998 fatwa entitled "Jihad Against Jews and Crusaders", which in the very first sentence quotes the Quranic verse that says "fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them".

________________ LT.Moondawg

Bin Lauden made his reasoning clear?

What was GW BUSH thinking ? "An utterly facile and ignorant assessment"

Why would he not accept the Taliban offer to deliver OBL to a third party to be prosecuted
or my choice a Taliban trial under Shara Law???
Why would he send so few troops to right this wrong?

============
Bush Gave $43 million to the Taliban 4 months before 9/11

The U.S has repeatedly made a “drug war exception” in its foreign policy towards brutal regimes. Perhaps the worst example of this “drug war exception” policy occurred just four months before 9/11 when the Bush Administration sent 43 Million dollars to the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The Bush Administration sent the 43 Million dollars to reward the Taliban Government for it’s declaring that opium growing is against the will of God.
The Bush administration gave this money to the Taliban with the full knowledge that Osama Bin Laden was in Afghanistan operating his Al Qaeda terror network. To make matters worse Bin Laden had already launched the 1998 attacks on our embassies in Kenya and Tanzania which left 225 people dead and injured more than 4,000. If that wasn’t bad enough Bin Laden had also ordered the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole which left 17 sailors dead along with another 39 injured. Had Bush forgotten that President Clinton had bombed Bin Ladens terrorist camps in Afghanistan in retaliation for these attacks ? The Bush administration also conveniently ignored the fact that the Taliban brutally oppressed the female population of Afghanistan. The Taliban also tortured and executed it’s opponents and required religious minorities to wear clothing that marked them as non Muslims which was similar to what the NAZI’s had done to the Jews , Gypsies, and Gays.

http://forexonlinenews.com/bush-gave-43-million-to-taliban-4-months-before-911
 Time2SeeU2
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 3:26:35 PM
Cause the Aliens landed there? ever try doing research on the answer to that question all of us here are just armchair rocket scientist's doing monday morning quaterbacking.
 PocoLoco44
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/17/2008 2:00:07 PM
Bin Laden....the taliban were asked to give him up after he claimed responsibility for the twin towers on 911...they said no so we bomb them and the afghani people wanted us to stay and rid the country of the taliban so they could be free, and have fair elections and not be killed in the streets and women being made to bow down to all men! No freedom of religeon no freedom of speech no freedom of anything! Now were just making sure all taliban are dead or ran out, and were training their government and forces to take over their own security! We have never went into another country to take over their oil...if so Kuwatti would have been the perfect spot!
 Sckoul
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/17/2008 7:37:49 PM
LOL! People kill me. Why are we in Afganastan? Ok...........Through the last maybe 5-8 years the country of Iran has grown to being the #2 or 3 strongest country in the world. Being that China is the other country that is in the top 3 this should all make sence. George W. Bush with ok from the buildaburg ok'ed a planned hit (by ower own government) on American soial and on American people to build up pupblic hatred to go to work against a phantom menace called Osoma Benladin and Terror (Al Queda)! With the public's feeling and prejudice not only for Afganastan but for people from who even looked like them (America is known for this) they went to war with Iraq.

Now why Iraq? I said before, Iran has been getting powerful, well order of buisness was to make sure that they can get bases over near Iran (close as possible perferably) so that they are able to spy on them. History: This is the reason America needed to make sure it was Japan who bombed them in WWII to get in. The key was that allowed them to have position on China. So when we bombed it and built it back up (like we will do with Iraq and what we did with Korea) all we did was put bases there and make it a small America with there flavor. Any place we have taken over has military bases there!!!!!!!!

Oil, all that other stuff. Yea I know...people have made a lot of money behind the fact Iraq was rich in oil. I personaly belive that has no reason in why we were there. Thats was more of an extra, a toy in the happy meal may you. lol

Now I understand if you may disagree with this and thats cool. If you happen to understand what I have just told you, please dont joint the military any time soon. War is in our future. I personaly believe on Iran but hey I am sure we will be fighting somebody. Ron Paul also believes this and our soon to be ex-president has already used the tearm "WWIII" to the public.
 bob0colo
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2008 10:06:37 PM
the taliban were asked to give him up after he claimed responsibility for the twin towers on 911...they said no so we bomb them and

the afghani people wanted us to stay and rid the country of the taliban so they could be free, and have fair elections and not be killed in the streets and

women being made to bow down to all men! No freedom of religeon no freedom of speech no freedom of anything!

Now were just making sure all taliban are dead or ran out, and were training their government and forces to take over their own security!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What some people believe.

Why?

D!ck Bruce Cheney...

Condi Rice...

Trans-Afghanistan Pipeline (TAP or TAPI)

Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) project

Those in charge didn't want OBL they let him escape more than once.

Warlords, a very modern concept of Government

After six years of occupation, only 29% of people in Kabul have access to safe drinking water, according to the Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit (AREU).

Some in Kabul drink sewer water!!!!

Womens rights?????

The Amnesty International Report 2007 states: “Legal reforms designed to protect women have not been implemented and women continue to be detained for breaching social mores”. The report adds: “There was a rise in cases of ‘honour’ killings of women and self-immolation by women.”

According to the 2006 Annual Report of the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC), the reality is:

Girls represent only 3% of students, and they are hardly allowed to continue their education beyond the fifth or sixth grade. In addition, the right to education is not granted to children coming from poor families. These children have to work or beg to feed their families, and are at risk as they can easily be the victims of sexual and other kinds of abuses in their working environment” (AIHRC 2006).

Another generation of Afghan girls remains illiterate after six years of international occupation. The current literacy rate according to CIDA is 43.1% men, 12.6% women (Afghanistan Facts at a Glance. CIDA 2007).

* Every 30 minutes, an Afghan woman dies during childbirth
* 87 percent of Afghan women are illiterate
* 30 percent of girls have access to education in Afghanistan
* 1 in every 3 Afghan women experience physical, psychological or sexual violence
* 44 years is the average life expectancy rate for women in Afghanistan
* 70 to 80 percent of women face forced marriages in Afghanistan

In Urozgan and Zabul provinces in the south, more than 90 percent of girls are deprived of formal education. According to the UN Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), about 90 percent of Afghan women are illiterate.

In the northern province of Faryab, 80 per cent of women experience violence in their daily lives and lack access to basic health, education and justice services, according to Fawzia Raufi, an Afghan MP.

Sckoul
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/28/2008 3:51:57 PM
Bobocolo wake up man. lol We are not over there helping any afghan's. lol We are over there in Iraq. We bombed Afghanastan for some guy who we never got and we built up the country after we hit it and still never got who we were looking for. why.......its on the other side of Iran to Iraq. lol Man I need my people to wake up. This is why they even choose BenLadin to say he did it. Its a known fact the Osma's family was inthe US at the time of 9-11. What did we do. Not keep them so we can in hope find Osama no we put them on there own private jet back to there country. lol

We are not in Iraq making them more civilized. There women will still where sheets over them and bow to all men. We are not over there changing there way of living. Just the people who run the country who have there own evil reason for wanting to be on top. There will still be no free speach in there country. Please understand that we have a constitution becuase we happen to be America. No one else has to live life like we do. Not everyone has to be like us. I dont care what it is anyone says happens anywhere else because our country is just as bad if not in some cases worse. If you dont think our country is bad then understand only we have the right to live this way by our constitution. If we loose that then we are no different than anyother country with any other political system.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/23/2008 7:12:38 AM
I won't go into the big or not so big reasons for staying in Afghanistan, but while we are there, it occurs to me that somebody must be making a killing with all the drug trade that has increased while we are there protecting the country. It also came to my mind that the production of drugs in Colombia started to grow right after we went into Colombia to help the government in their fight against the rebels and the drug lords.
Is there a big connection between our military involvement and the increase of drug production in those countries?
 Simlasa
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 5:56:36 PM
The Taliban were bad news even before 9/11... they had made Afghanistan into the real breeding ground for terrorists... the place was a potential threat for most of it's neighbors and a nightmare for it's non-Taliban citizens.
Like fundamentalists of any bent... they scared me then and they scare me now.
But I'm not quite sure that the U.S. governments intentions/goals were ever just what they claimed on the surface... and it seems somehow convenient for their larger agendas that Bin Laden remains at large.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Why are we in Afghanistan