Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 86
you choose to not watch tv... why?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I haven't watched TV for about 10+ years. I do have one in my house, but the last time it was switched on to my knowledge was 2 years ago for the olympics.

I don't have cable, and if my kids stay when I am on vacation, they rent movies. The only times it is noticable is when I can't join in conversations when people are talking about their 'programs' , but I simply say, "I don't watch TV." People look at me like I am weird, and ask what on earth do you do... I really don't know. I keep busy. I would rather be outside, or read a book than watch TV. I do listen to radio most of the time. I hear the news and weather on the radio, and read news from the internet. I feel I get to choose what I want to know about based on my interests.
 Crabby_McCrabberson
Msg: 89
you choose to not watch tv... why?
Posted: 10/6/2010 5:53:51 AM
Rut-roh. Maybe it's encouraging people to be conformists, too. I've tuned out, so I really wouldn't know -- but -- I thought that was what junior high was for. :double wink:
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/6/2010 6:17:21 AM
Yes yes I am quite sure all the television snobs in here are busy writing great works of literature akin to Shakespeare.

Get off of your high horses please! Television is merely an entertainment.Certain shows and genres will not appeal to everyone,but even to the biggest television snob there will be some things that appeal to them,though they will never admit it.

Not everything on television is about blond rich girls doing idiotic things or spoiled young twenty year olds and their numerous sexual exploits and excessive drinking habits.
 JustAGrlWthACat
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/6/2010 10:06:09 AM
I couldn't do without my nova and jeopardy. I like other stuff of course, but jeopardy is my rainman addiction.
 arwen52
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2010 10:52:26 PM
Does TV have an agenda? Of course! To make money! Duh.

I don't watch TV and have not most of my adult life. I have a TV that rarely is turned on. Last time it was on briefly was months ago. TV does not interest me. If I need to waste time, I read the forums.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/7/2010 12:59:26 PM
I just finished a one year stint without a TV.
The purpose was to give my children a love of literature, the outdoors, and creative play. It has worked wonders for their creativity and imaginations and reading skills.

The only thing I don't like about not having tv in the house is the attitude of people when they find out I don't have it

Am I too poor to have it? Too stupid to figure out the remote?Did I get banned for cable stealing?

Sheesh. I don't have tv because I don't want it. Period. End of story

WHY is this so difficult for people to understand?

I got these same questions, people couldnt believe it!!! had a friend offer to buy me a TV, i was like ummm nope got one in the attic just choosing not to use it.
I just reintroduced the TV into the home and got my son an xbox, and even with the nice new bigscreen and cool video games he only does about an hour on it then wants to read or color or go the the park. My daughter isnt even interested in it at all.
Im far from a snob, i have some silly shows i love watching, but i read a LOT of good books and still p;refer a good book to the tv.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/7/2010 2:22:12 PM
I read and play outside, my TV is rarely on, and I cancelled all my cable stuff awhile back.
I'm only interested in news and sports, both of which I either get from the web or head to a friend's house to watch.
I do watch movies and documentaries, and I stream Netflix in for this purpose. Other than that, Grey's got some anatomy I could care less about, Lost can get lost, and hopefully, those Survival people don't survive.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2010 9:52:35 AM
LOL! Well, after about 20 years of being an avid NON TV watching social reject (people can't believe that I don't know who...so and so is on some...gotta watch TV show) I've finally found a great use for my TV other than that of "dust collector"!

NETFLIX!!!! YES! I love it! I have about 300 documentaries in my instant queue, ready to watch whenever I choose to do so! There's NO commercials...NO garbage that I can do without. I'd had a Netflix acct for 10 years, and had always rented the maximum number of DVD's you could get (8 at a time up until about 4 years ago when they cut back to 4 at a time). At first, the instant streaming was limited to only a few hours per month and there wasn't a lot to choose from; but now with a membership for under $9 per month, you get 1 DVD at a time through the mail (unlimited per month) and also unlimited INSTANT downloads. I'm primarily interested myself in documentaries or classics, but those who thrive on newer releases tell me that more and more those are being made available as well. My grandchildren are always downloading something that suits their tastes as well. I think that cable is definitely on it's way OUT!
 CynthiaSMW
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/15/2010 8:56:49 PM
I gave up tv when I started law school 10 yrs ago because I didn't have time to watch anything. After the bar exam I never went back to tv. Although I had service for awhile so my son could watch tv when he was with me , he gets enough when he's with his dad so he told me I could stop service at my house. I keep the tv to watch DVDs.

I never restarted watching tv because there was plenty of active and/or interactive things to fill my time. Then I found pof forums and that has become my 'drug' of choice.
 Pilose_Wink
Msg: 97
Posted: 11/16/2010 6:12:40 AM

Get off of your high horses please! Television is merely an entertainment.Certain shows and genres will not appeal to everyone,but even to the biggest television snob there will be some things that appeal to them,though they will never admit it.

I’ll admit it, but I now buy the South Park season on DVD instead of dealing with the endless stupidity of commercials.

Yes, television is entertainment, but like facebook, the net and any other spectator virtual reality diversion, they can become addictive replacements for having an actual life. So why should anyone who doesn’t partake in any of these be somehow labeled a snob? We’re all snobs to our own likes, if anything, I’m a book snob, have you seen how dumbed down book stores have become recently?

So why did I quit watching TV? The endless commercials, lack of much worth watching for me and the ever rising cost for the privilege of being annoyed. Like smoking, one day I said enough and never went back.
 brewswain
Msg: 98
Posted: 1/24/2013 10:14:27 AM
Its good to see that some folks are smart enough to avoid the brainless drivel on TV
Ever hear of bread and circuses?

I'm 62 and have never owned a TV. For those who watch TV, that means I made a decision not to watch it
 Celje
Msg: 99
Posted: 1/24/2013 1:00:07 PM
Apparently you need a "broadcast licence" to watch any form of TV in the UK, and they have "tv agents" to enforce the rule, even more hilarious.
"Total levies from the licence fee were £3.681 billion in 2011–12"

clap clap clap
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 101
Posted: 1/24/2013 5:04:07 PM
There is NOTHING on daytime TV!
(I work 2nd shift hours)

With regular TV
I can choose from
Judge Judy
Who's the daddy Maury.
The View(oh god no!)

If I pay for cable....my daytime choices are:
Hoarders
pickers
honey boo-boo
and/or movies I have already seen.

So I used my cable money to join a gym
and hire a trainer.
If I am doomed to dullness in my daytime,
best put the boredom to good use.

My BMI has dropped considerably,
and I have no idea who is on Jerry Springer.
Life is good.
:-)
 Jimmypaige
Msg: 102
Posted: 1/24/2013 6:53:45 PM
I hate TV and never watch it.
Yes, it does indoctrinate the masses, mostly with leftist brainwashing.
I don't trust any of the MSM outlets.
 arwen52
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 11:06:28 AM
I stopped watching TV in high school. I'm 60 years old and have lived most of my adult life without a TV. I own one now but turn it on about twice a year to watch a DVD.

I lost interest in TV, plain and simple.
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 104
Posted: 1/27/2013 10:40:52 AM
By this, I suppose you mean watching mainstream broadcast television programs. I for one watch a few television programs. PBS offers so many good shows - educational and informative. Why one would do without this kind of entertainment is a wonder. Today there is so much good TV than ever before.

BUT... I am selective in what I watch. I do not watch the news (or listen to it on the radio, or read a daily newspaper for that matter). A long time ago a neighbor who was retired told me that he stayed away from all news - because it was negative and he could live without it. I tried it and found I could too. Think about it - there is so little news that is worth watching. And so much that is pure drivel. I feel very sorry to those who can not live without their daily dose of "news".

Along with watching a few selected programs from broadcast television, I too have a DVD player. I have never rented a DVD to watch. Long ago I found that my local public library, for some obscure reason that I have never appreciated, started lending VHS tapes and then DVDs; I have never looked back as this is a good, no cost source of entertainment - without the commercials - which is another reason why I do not watch much broadcast television.

Speaking about commercials, I wish there was some way to avoid having to watch commercials even when one is watching a program on one's computer. Thank goodness for the mute button. But then - with the internet and what it is bringing to all of us - the demise of commercial television programming as we know it is just around the corner.

Just saw a good show this week titled "The Truth About Exercise" (from Britain). In it, one person said "the chair will kill you". Another reason why NOT to be in front of a TV and be doing anything else...
 jed456
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2013 12:02:52 PM
Regular t.v.? No way I find most broadcast shows uninteresting.I like cable and I have Netfix. I watch the discovery channel,the history and military channel and on netflix the movies and complete episodes of british comedies my favorite being Doc Martin. Oh and the walking dead!Plus I buy a lot of dvd's.
 junipermoon
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2013 3:32:24 PM
i kind of wish i had a tv this evening to watch downton abbey.
 freshstartbraveheart
Msg: 107
Posted: 1/28/2013 6:53:20 AM
I cut cable two years ago. I don't miss being bombarded with commercials, and certainly didn't like forking over so much money to Rogers. There are only two cable companies - Rogers/Bell and the prices are ridiculous. If that changes (not holding my breath), I might get TV again but until then, I'm fine with having Netflix, Youtube and other sites on the Internet for my viewing pleasure.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2013 7:31:23 AM
TV is my life. My parents, when I was young were busy people so of course they sat me down in front of the tube. It not only kept me occupied but also gave me valuable life lessons that I can draw on to this day.

Why, I look at Ward and June Cleaver as role models as to what a good Parent should be. I always thought Beaver and Wally were lucky to have such caring and loving parents. Every episode was chock full of life lessons that any kid could learn from. All in a half hour episode, plus commercials of course.

When my kids were little I even took to smoking a pipe and wearing sweaters, much as Fred McMurray did in "My 3 Sons". Now, there was a Dad you could look up to... Too bad we could'nt afford to hire a nanny like "Uncle Charlie" though. Probably just as well , he'd have scared my kids anyways.But really, what better way to learn what it's like to be human than from an electronic babysitter?

If this is indoctrination then I'm all for it. Maybe we'd have a little less gang banging gun violent children if we just strapped the kiddies in front of a TV all day and made them watch reruns of Leave it to Beaver, Father knows best, or any of the wholesome shows us 60's kids grew up on...
 Zuglo65
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2013 7:31:50 AM

It's always interesting that most people who don't watch television have a need to feel superior. There is very little straight reporting of preference on here and a whole bunch of condescending remarks. It's pretty sad. Those remarks are much more telling than preference about the boob tube.

I agree. I watch TV, there are shows I try not to miss. Mostly reality TV.
Animal planet, Discovery channel, Game network..Watch sports, UFC, soccer, hockey, etc.
Never in my life felt brainwashed, or less of a person.

In it, one person said "the chair will kill you". Another reason why NOT to be in front of a TV and be doing anything else...

Well that I agree with. 24/7 TV watching won't do you any good.
But a few hours of entertainment in the chair won't kill you.
Beside..You can ride the stationary bike, and watch TV..So there..
 BigEyedFish8
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/28/2013 1:52:33 PM
I watch hockey and animated shows like The Simpsons on TV, that's about it. Every time I turn on the idiot box to watch the news, it's some windbag blathering about the latest celebrity gossip or the over exposure of some pop idol who can't sing worth a damn. There is very little good on TV worth watching, I used to watch House when it was on, at least it was consistently entertaining, people seem to have extreme fascinations with really bad TV shows with horrendous stories like Once Upon a Time and all those crappy soap opera shows that need to die quick painful deaths. TV hasn't been completely engaging for me for years, there is very little on that I like and I try time and time again to get into some of the new and popular shows but they just don't catch my attention. Maybe it's due to the fact that I have a skewed outlook on stories due to my enjoyment of books.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2013 2:01:06 PM
It's akin to Christmas. The only thing more tedious than all the hooplah two months before Crustmas are the people who, every year, complain and complain about the hooplah.

The same with TV. TV couch potatoes are annoying but not as annoying as the snots who seem to think everyone has to know they don't watch TV. 'There's nothing worth watching'...so true, since you are obviously a superior human being who transcends mere mortal things like education, laughter, etc. Then again, would you watch a tv show about 'the unwashed masses' being numbed by these programs?
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/28/2013 2:09:24 PM
the irony of those who spend many hours each day posting mindless drivel on POF Forums, (the blind leading the blind in most cases) , deriding televisions as a "vapid waste of time" is QUITE delicious.. :) as if all the posts on POF ever amounted to a thimble-full of warm spit as far as being of any "importance"..

but again it's a bit of a snob thing as many have pointed out : " *I* waste *MY* time on 'important' ' ground-breaking, earth-shaking things..like answering posts about why guys don't like fat chicks, why the bad boys get all the girls, etc., etc..rather than 'stupid' TV..
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/30/2013 8:50:16 AM
^^^^^^
Even posting mindless drivel requires more brainpower than sitting motionless in front of the TV.
I enjoy reading words that are not scripted and edited, and sometimes I add my own response. That's hard to do with TV.
I do enjoy Netflix on my computer, they have lots of older movies to watch whenever I want.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >