Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 patiscake
Msg: 386
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 15 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)
OMG, I'm soooo happy! I'm a new member and I've been trying to post on this forum for two days.

I read your post and I thought...YES, I have the answer to your question.

The person you are talking about was me a couple of years ago. I had most of the lingo and that's how I chose to e-mail others, it was a lot quicker to do so.

I never thought it was a bad thing. Eventually, I got into real estate....and girl let me tell you, it took a lot of time for me to get out of the habbit of typing things like...

y r u n such a sknk mood 2nite?

TRANSLATE: WHY ARE YOU IN SUCH A SKANKY MOOD TONIGHT?

It's getting worse with the young one's.

I'm clueless to what my neices are saying to one and other.

Give the guy a chance (if you think it's just that)?

Personally, I will leave my yahoo open. If I question a word I will check it in my yahoo account, if it's incorrect then I change it.

Bad grammer turns me off also. It makes you wonder if they have a clue at all...

~P
 Jr_senator
Msg: 387
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 1/9/2008 10:53:12 PM
I know I shouldn't be so picky about it;but, <-----------Doesn't look typed correctly, should I think the're not smart? Hmmmm
Some have never taken typing:
Some have not needed to spell in many years:
Some haven't used the computer until just now:
Tough question, I think it can be answered both ways... ~Jr_Senator ~
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 388
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2008 11:10:00 PM
I am the same exact way. I figure if they can't spell or use proper grammar that tells u something. I mean if they shorten word like u for you or 4 for (for) then I know what they are shortening the word. I always think they are uneducated. If u can't spell then use a dictionary and u can look up words online or do spell check. If they don't know the proper use of grammar then use a different word.
 okeedokee444
Msg: 389
Posted: 1/9/2008 11:25:34 PM

Bad grammer turns me off also.
How bout incorrectly spelled words like "grammer"

dancecard
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2008 11:28:17 PM
Gd it ! theee times ~ I'm about to gibvce up!
I keep hitting the escape hkey ~ and ~ pluuuuupt ~ it's alllll goje ~ !!

okay what are we talkng about . > ?

Misssspelluing and what? bad grammmer ~~ okay ~ Igot it ~ bad grammer realy sucks ~ I really hate bad grammer ~ like , you don'nt know if it's real or Memoriex!

I made it home tonight ~ all by myself!! ~ I think I need amedel!

I 'm celiberating ~ 45 days of being smart and everythingf toeverybody ~~ i'm pooped!

Good nite all ~ think I'l take a nap now ~ love you all ~ dar

oh yea a! ~ watch out for bad ghrammer and misspells ~ those peple are m,ost lickly drunk ~ or sumping ~ dar
 FeistySam
Msg: 391
Posted: 1/10/2008 10:22:15 AM
Um… this ones a tricky one. You see… if I get a reply and there are “caps missing” or letters “inverted”, i.e. waht, teh, etc., I don’t really take it against the person (since “typos” like these could be a result of “lack of time to type a reply but replied anyways”. Now… when the WHOLE sentence or paragraph is all messed up and it actually looks like a 5 year old typed it up (and oh lordy have I received a few of those!)… I just stare in awe, laugh a little, and… DELETE! Yeah, if you cant type up a couple of grammatically correct sentences … Go back to school and not just read one book… read the whole library!

CHEERS!
 sky_of_galaxy
Msg: 392
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:03:18 PM
nca uoy eard isth? fi yuo cna then godo jbo
 sky_of_galaxy
Msg: 393
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:05:11 PM
Lets not be picky.. Some people perhaps can't find a boyfriend/girlfriend because they can't spell and maybe they have literacy problems?

Literacy problems are common in people.

If it's like this don't bother

"yo yo waz up bro yo wanna chilz yo"

That's gangster talk and it's dumb.

Otherwise respond.
 LoverofNature
Msg: 394
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:17:42 PM
It is unfortunate if that is one of their weak points . . . I do answer them back if the email is from the heart and in good faith . . . as many people are not computer literate and have difficulty spelling or with the English language . . . they may be a very genuine person with many skills in other areas . . . so that is one of their handicaps - Big Deal! Help them grow and become someone better! I have also met some people on here who have had brain damage in auto accidents, so be a person and be kind. Does not mean you have to keep chatting and writing, but acknowledge them and treat them with the respect that they deserve. Some of those emails that you are talking about are far better to receive than some of the ones from very literate and educated people. Thank you.
 RainyNytes
Msg: 395
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:23:16 PM
I'd feel I was pretty pathetic to discount another human being simply due to grammar and spelling troubles. My sister is a wonderful, lovely woman who owns her own salon business, yet her spelling and grammar is horrible ~ I'd hate to think her superb husband would have overlooked her simply due to something as SILLY as spelling and written grammar. Both of them are savvy people, and my sister can TALK better than she writes.
No, I'll not discount someone on something that couldn't possibly make a difference to who the real person inside them could be.
SHAME on those who do!!!
 babybleuz
Msg: 396
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:43:00 PM
I went out with this guy who had misspelled words on his profile. I gave him a chance, and He turned out to be a real looser. It should of been a big red flag when he said that he knew how to treat the Laddy's! What a Homo! lol. He was also a father of TO daughters. He had a great job and lives in a studio apartment.
 tiptoe21
Msg: 397
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:53:55 PM
Sorry, that's a big turn-off for me... even if they are intelligent in person.
 StarliteKisses
Msg: 398
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2008 8:04:50 PM
We all have our standards as to what we are looking for. If a man cannot write an intelligent note....then no, I am not interested. I once received an email from a man who wrote a whole paragraph with random capitalization, rare puncuation, and misspelled words. It had a negative effect.
 regalrose
Msg: 399
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2008 10:11:43 PM
So far, I haven't gotten any that were too bad from any site I've ever been on, except those who had a different mother tongue. Still, I wouldn't hold it against anyone. I know back during the days from 1960-around 1985, there were alot of drop outs. Some went back and got a GED, some didn't or couldn't take the time, but did well for themselves. I wouldn't NOT answer an email just because of errors....that doesn't necessarily mean a person has errors....things like that just don't matter much to me at this point in my life. I want my kids to have a good education, but if the man that may show up in my life at some point doesn't have an education....well, as long as he treats me right and loves me, why should it be a problem? I guess one reason I feel the way I do is my age....another is the fact that my mom was educated but my dad wasn't.....she taught him as we learned as kids, and he's a business owner....of not one but 5!!! To me, it's more about how a person feels about themself and how motivated they are, more than about how often they attended school. JMO
 Boomstrike
Msg: 400
Posted: 1/10/2008 10:27:03 PM
There's alot of people that seem to equate spelling with intelligence and education. That's not necessarily true and quite narrow minded IMO.
 str8ahd
Msg: 401
Posted: 1/10/2008 10:30:48 PM

I went out with this guy who had misspelled words on his profile. I gave him a chance, and He turned out to be a real looser. It should of been a big red flag when he said that he knew how to treat the Laddy's! What a Homo! lol. He was also a father of TO daughters. He had a great job and lives in a studio apartment.

OK, this has to be a case of humour not translating to text. This is not serious, right? Right? Please?
 TGTS
Msg: 402
Posted: 1/11/2008 1:04:17 AM
You should absolutely reply. Your reply should say "go back to school". The odd grammatical error is alright, I mean they are everywhere. However, if people are genuinely interested in you they should either speak proper english or proofread their work.
 dancecard
Msg: 403
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 9:28:28 AM
In my field of business, I am required to interface with people that have nether knowledge or vocabulary to accurately express theirselfs well~ most often

They've got problems ~ and thats all they really know ~ and want them to go away.

Some, ` attempting to be helpful, explaining in great detail. ~ I always listen, for I know they are attempting to get something important across ~ however garbled it might seem to be.

I've accepted it as being part of the job ~ and really it's one of the best parts of my job, I enjoy it ~ I really do.

It's quit comical at times ~ but my job ~ is to solve problems. I do not consider these people dumb or stupid. ~ for their short- comings in skills. ~ But forgive me if I sometimes find it impossible to hold back a chuckle.

And so it is ~ for all you teacher's out there ~ all the men and women that diction, grammer and spelling is all a part of your daily profession. ~ feel free to get and big laugh! ~ or to completely discount someone for grammer or diction if you chose.

But remember this ~ what goes around , comes around

I'll think about this thread ~ as I write out my next invoice ~ dar
 annasthasia
Msg: 404
Posted: 1/11/2008 1:05:10 PM
@ dancecard

I completely agree with you...

By the by, I am a high school teacher and in one of my classes I teach "shop" math.
Basically these students will be damned good future tradesmen...

Do not ask them to write an essay or "masturbate" their minds trying to decode what Shakespear meant with his "weird" English... (I am French... so pardon my errors also.)

Anyway... Those kids are smart. At the risk of appearing annoying, I would like to see these people, who perfectly mastered only one language, to try to fix or renovate a bathroom or install electrical material or build a frame for a house or install bricks and weld metal...

I totally understand...

By the by... Those students are a fun bunch... I never get bored with them. Their problem solving skills are creative and they surprise me constantly.

Anyway... All this to say, that we all have our talents and we should try to respect our boundaries.

Just a thought... I suggest that those perfect literate people, try to write in an other language and see how it feels to try and communicate your ideas rather than worry about every "written" word.

Anyway... I am gently tip toeing out of this thread... It is too annoying... I want to hang with people that make mistakes...
 RainyNytes
Msg: 405
Posted: 1/11/2008 1:08:41 PM

I went out with this guy who had misspelled words on his profile. I gave him a chance, and He turned out to be a real looser. It should of been a big red flag when he said that he knew how to treat the Laddy's! What a Homo! lol. He was also a father of TO daughters.

Did you mean TWO daughters? Or should YOU be discounted for not knowing the difference between TO and TWO?
 Boomstrike
Msg: 406
Posted: 1/11/2008 4:05:19 PM
How could anyone not notice that they are surrounded by immigrants? Is it possible that these people were educated in another language? In Canada, we have a french speaking province. Are all these people dumb and unfit for dating?
 dancecard
Msg: 407
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2008 5:17:03 PM
have a thing for pretty feet ~ can't get by restrictions ~ dar

mistakes are for the people that do nothing ~ !!!!!!!!!!!

if you do "Nothing" you have a good chance of ~ not making mistakes.n ~dar
 Kim Hope
Msg: 408
Posted: 1/11/2008 6:36:20 PM
In my prior post addressing this question, I spelled the word judgment wrong. I actually said: "When people spell words wrong, it makes me think they are not intelligent."

Hmmmmm... maybe I should re-evaluate!
 ItIsAllAboutTheChemistry
Msg: 409
Posted: 1/13/2008 12:35:57 PM
[In my prior post addressing this question, I spelled the word judgment wrong. I actually said: "When people spell words wrong, it makes me think they are not intelligent."

Hmmmmm... maybe I should re-evaluate!]

I think you just got the point that I and others have been trying to make. Making spelling errors, especially when English is not your first language, is not an indicator of intelligence. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I am well educated, but English is not my first language so I make spelling and grammatical errors sometimes. But I work my butt off to make sure that I am not making these mistakes because of lack of effort.

P.S. I really hope that not all Americans are as arogant as the majority of the people who responded negatively to this question.
 cts75287
Msg: 412
Posted: 1/13/2008 9:45:08 PM
I hope that was a joke. Loser...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >