Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hertzi
Msg: 468
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 18 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)
firstly, i don't really think one has to be dislexic or spell like an idiot to qualify as a genius
secondly, i have a suggestion:
people who can tolerate bad spelling should go and date people who can't spell;
and people who like good spelling should date the literate fish.
that way everbody gets a date and no-one needs to be annoyed.
now could the second category please talk to me, i spell superbly in several languages even though i don't use capital letters when keyboarding
still looking for a travel companion to come with me around australia........there is a lot of time for spelling contests while crossing the nullarbor
 ejesq
Msg: 469
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 2/18/2008 6:35:01 PM
No. I am a total snob in that regard and I really can't help it. And there is a very big difference between the occasional misspelling due to quick typing, and massacring the english language.
 highincidence
Msg: 471
Posted: 2/18/2008 7:25:46 PM
I usually don't... Because if I got in a relationship with that person, I would have to follow them around fixing everything they wrote so that it was spelled correctly and with correct grammar... It would get exhausting!
 Jacob_S
Msg: 472
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2008 7:42:29 PM
A similar topic came up in conversation a while back with some friends and one guy's opinion was "Half the people in this world worth talking to don't talk (or in this case, write) like they're writing a college paper." and that sort of stuck with me. I believe it's true to an extent, even if someone's message is badly put together I would think it was the actual content and the tone of the letter that mattered.
 Mr. Kobayashi
Msg: 473
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2008 8:13:47 PM
I'm not going to say that everything I write is a model of perfect grammar and syntax, but it's pretty damn close, at least by modern American standards. What can I tell you? It is a gift and a burden. One thing I can definitely say with certainty is that I have yet to meet someone who swooned over my pretty perfect words. I guess it is kind of like personal hygiene. No one will notice unless it is lacking.

Do I care about someone else's poor spelling and grammar? That depends on what her profile photo looks like. Am I being too honest? I have this fantasy that an attractive woman will send me an email with typos, misspellings, etc. which I will print and mark up with a red sharpie. Then when we meet I will have her bend over a desk and re-read the letter to me over and over while I give her a good spanking. That's how James Spader bagged Maggie Gyllenhall.

Okay, I'm just kidding so don't flame me. But seriously, when I read a profile that is in ALL CAPS, I assume that person to be retarded and thus we might run out of things to talk about. I have a real hang up about the whole cap lock thing.
 hypertech2
Msg: 474
 Bikeman_
Msg: 475
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:20:29 AM

If yur knot soor hough too spill wurds u shud knot rite to there e-male.

I aint not bothren to rispon to such nonesence; if sum wuman cant feel where im at, she aint wurth my tyme.
 McKinneyMemories
Msg: 476
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:37:03 AM
Truth told YES it is a turn-off to me when someone sends a message that appears with misspelled words and bad grammer.Looks aren't everything I want a man I can communicate with that at the very least has high school grammer skills.Until we actually meet and speak ,typing sentences to one another is all we have on here.
 ebay junkie
Msg: 477
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:42:47 AM
I wont hold it against them, they might be a great person!
 Born2bewild62
Msg: 478
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:52:15 AM
Cripes! I got someone mad at me because I corrected her spelling of a word on IM! I don't know what's worse- walking on eggshells so people won't think you are inferior to them- or walking on eggshells so they don't feel inferior to you?
Some people just have major chips on their shoulder or something.

JF
 tothfareee
Msg: 479
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2008 10:22:33 AM
I agree , credit the sender for showing appreciation , for reading you're profile and giving you the respect of saying, in their own way how nice you looked and you're style ..

Rather than an immediate "Delete" as in "next" !!!

I have had doctor's, lawyer's that couldn't spell this is why they have secretarie's ..

Be happy they resonded goodness ...there's too many "Next Guys" out here.. it's a candy store to them ...
 tothfareee
Msg: 480
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2008 10:26:30 AM
Sorry.... mis-keyed responded !!!
 nichole52386
Msg: 481
Posted: 2/25/2008 1:52:11 PM
I thought I was alone on this one. It bothers me too. I try not to be too critical, but when a person makes the same error on a word that is fairly simple it is a total turn off. If you are interested in someone and want to make a good impression, wouldn't you at least make an attempt to check your spelling? Either they lack knowledge, or they are too lazy to make an effort. Either way, it's a no go for me.
 hypertech2
Msg: 482
Posted: 2/25/2008 8:32:56 PM
People wonder why it is so hard to date.
I have a college degree, write outdoor articles and I am the web site administrator for 2 web sites. I make mistakes............
If I make a mistake on a message to some one and they are bothered by it then I do not want to date them anyways. Nothing more annoying than being corrected by someone like they were your teacher...........Big Turn Off
 yellowstar45
Msg: 483
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2008 8:42:16 PM
grow up who cares if you spel a word wrong get over it
Msg: 484
Posted: 2/25/2008 8:47:58 PM
I dont respond to C-Speak.
But I cant spell for Crap myself, I use spell check. Periodically the thing leaves me high and dry or confuses the words for me. Spelling hasn't got game on meaning any how.
I read some place us creative folk have problems spelling any how. I can look right at something spelled right and not be able to spell it. OH well, I guess I'm Un-Date-able and a lousy human being.
 dessertguy
Msg: 485
Posted: 2/25/2008 8:53:32 PM

Truth told YES it is a turn-off to me when someone sends a message that appears with misspelled words and bad grammer
I want a man I can communicate with that at the very least has high school grammer skills

Is that how they spell "grammar" in McKinney?

OP, it depends......a couple of words here and there, no big deal.....a constant demonstration of lack of basic spelling and grammar skills would be a whole other matter.
 justwatchinginsanity
Msg: 486
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:09:34 PM
I don't respond either. Spellcheck is easy enough isn't it?
 East Coast Hospitality
Msg: 487
Posted: 2/25/2008 10:12:01 PM
one or two mis spelled words is not a big deal but if there are many and the email is just a mess, it sure leaves a bad impression. I have received some emails with really bad grammer and sounded like they just started walking upright yesterday :)

I look at it this way.........without these people, life would not be as entertaining
 Goodluck111
Msg: 488
Posted: 2/25/2008 11:07:36 PM
If it's a typo and forgotten spell check, yes. If the person doesn't know how to spell at all, no. You can tell the difference by frequency of misspelling
 ripley65
Msg: 490
Posted: 2/26/2008 1:36:15 AM

My brother had ATROCIOUS spelling!! Example,,he'd spell 'people' like 'peeple'. LOL But,,,he was actually a very funny, smart, hard working, good hearted man who just couldnt spell worth a crap. lol So yes,,id respond and have responded to such emails, but as far as bad grammar? Now when they start 'talking' that gangster talk, that really just totally turns me off ( wit =with,,,ect.. i HATE that!!) I will respond because i respond to everyone, but i will not encourage them to email me again. lolol
 not looking2
Msg: 491
Posted: 2/26/2008 5:06:41 AM
Sometimes misspelling is just a result of bad or rapid typing abilities. I usually have to go over anything I type a couple of times to catch the the mispelling.
What bothers me the most is people that misuse words, like..."conversate"....its "converse ", derived from conversation.
unless you using words from the urban dictionary of slang.
 ForUmNoReasn
Msg: 492
Posted: 2/26/2008 6:41:34 AM
I would reply and did reply to a man who doesn't have perfect grammar and who often misspells words. His intelligence was revealed in the course of our correspondence despite the errors.
He's quick witted and smart in a self taught sort of way, can fix anything, rewire your house, natural abilities that most of the guys in my generation only display when it comes to a video game.
I wouldn't trade him for a stack of dictionarys.
The old adage remains true, don't judge a book...
 fishersguy
Msg: 493
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2008 7:11:25 AM
Some people text like they're on a phone... I think that's okay. True grammatical and misspelled words are a turnoff.
 Bikeman_
Msg: 494
Posted: 2/26/2008 7:24:20 AM
Geez Louise, e-mail is not a text message. There's also a difference between totally misspelled words and a couple of typographical errors. Personally I'm guilty of some bad e-mails; my typing doesn't keep up with my thoughts and often I'll forget to include some key words which make the message difficult to understand. Then there's the person who can't string sentences together without there being any grammatical and/or spelling mistakes in any of them. To me that's a display of poor communication skills and an arrested education. Definitely non-plussing.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >