Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mtnskigirl
Msg: 28
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 2 of 54    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Poor spelling and grammar is also an issue for me.

Call me a snob but I want someone who understands when to use:
to, too or two;
your or you're;
there or their
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 29
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 11/19/2007 1:19:19 PM
Sure,
Some people are in a hurry, some people (like me) still hunt and peck with the two finger typing method. I understand that. It doesn't mean they can't spell or don't use good grammar. It may just mean they type poorly and fail to spell check.
 catjean
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/19/2007 1:31:40 PM
Not everyone is a like. Misspellings are not indicative of intelligence. Creative thinkers are not likely to be great spellers.Creative thinkers like Steven Spielberg who can’t spell, might be writing you. Would you seriously turn down someone so gifted just because of misspellings or bad grammar? I always give someone a chance when I see misspelled or bad grammar. I will not give people a chance when they correct my grammar or misspellings. I don’t want to date someone who always finds the negative but over looks the positive.

I know as someone who is a creative and has a hard time spelling, that I am not going to spell check on every personal letter. Just like someone is Not going to dot their i’s or cross their t’s when talking with a friend. If your friend or a person on the street asked you a question that you could not understand you would say ‘huh?’ which by the way is improper English.
 cheerupemokidx
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/19/2007 1:38:48 PM

Not everyone is a like. Misspellings are not indicative of intelligence. Creative thinkers are not likely to be great spellers.Creative thinkers like Steven Spielberg who can’t spell, might be writing you. Would you seriously turn down someone so gifted just because of misspellings or bad grammar? I always give someone a chance when I see misspelled or bad grammar. I will not give people a chance when they correct my grammar or misspellings. I don’t want to date someone who always finds the negative but over looks the positive.

I know as someone who is a creative and has a hard time spelling, that I am not going to spell check on every personal letter. Just like someone is Not going to dot their i’s or cross their t’s when talking with a friend. If your friend or a person on the street asked you a question that you could not understand you would say ‘huh?’ which by the way is improper English.

Let me guess, you are one of those people who cry when people judge you by a picture?
 cottonblossom
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/19/2007 1:50:25 PM
Sure I would..not looking for a mensa member..just me though..looking for friends..not a cpa,teacher,instructor or worrying about my grammar online having fun..I make typos myself..
 english lass
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/19/2007 1:52:36 PM
how d'ya know they have a bad gramma'? she might just be misunderstood..

yeah, it's a lil on the off-puttage side.. but then i type as i speak/think, which isn't always grammatically perfect and often contains made-up words to convey a point.. (..usually that i'm feeling "flip" at the time.. hehe.. ;))

i love the english language, it's such fun to play with
 Banter-er
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:00:00 PM
It really depends on many factors - what was said, how many misspellings and/or poor grammar. I'd also take a look at the profile to get a further idea of how that person expresses themself.

I don't think that people with poor spelling/grammar are "idiots" at all, contrary to some views expressed here. There are many reason why a person might not be strong in these areas, many of which have been mentioned already.

On the other hand - I know myself. Words and language are very dear to me, and I really appreciate a person with a good grasp of the language. Not necessarily a perfect speller, but somebody who can can express themself well and has an interesting (to me) writing style. And the truth is... good spelling and grammar go a long way toward good communication.

So yes - to me spelling and grammar make a difference, but are not the ONLY, or necessarily the most important, factors when deciding whether I want to correspond with somebody further. Regardless, I do usually respond, if only to say I don't see much compatibility.
 carolann0308
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:17:26 PM
Not usually, a person's intelligence level is important to me and I have no desire to be with an illiterate. If they do not care about how they appear the first time to you in print then chances of them caring about you at all are slim. The same goes for people that email me or post on the forums in cryptic text message form. HW R U?
Use the English language please.
I'd suggest they download a Google toolbar with spell check.
 Golconda
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:23:49 PM

people who email me with very bad grammar and misspelled words turn me off. Is this an indication of how they communicate in person? Is this being too critical?

That bothers me too. I would just say "Thank you for e-mailing. After reviewing your profile I don't feel we are a good match." Leave it at that.
 barnesbrook
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:26:17 PM
I know I shouldn't be so picky about it;but, people who email me with very bad grammar and misspelled words turn me off. Is this an indication of how they communicate in person? Is this being too critical?

No I think its being stupid
aperfectlifeforme

It’s a well known fact that some of the most intelligent people are Dyslexic. This is where the brain that initiates intelligent takes over part of the brain where it is needed for written communication. I would say you have been closing off the exact type of person you state you’re looking for. Crazy !

Maybe you might find a perfect for me if you replied.
Mayeb I shoduldn’t haev putt taht in hear
 Pamperpooch000
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:26:26 PM
I don't worry too much about the spelling, I'm not great at spelling myself, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to string a conversation together. Also, there are some very intelligent dyslexic people. I think you can just get a gist of whether someone is interesting by the contents of their messages, rather than the correct grammar.
 smuttylittle_1
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:28:30 PM
Personally, I need someone that is intelligent. If they can't take a few minutes to spell well and use decent grammar for their first impression then I don't think this is someone that I will be able to respect. I don't think that you are being too critical, just honest about what is important to you. Grant it, it may not be way up there on the priorities list but spelling does count.
 Red_N_Blue
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:28:59 PM
It's not spelling as much as the way the compose their message. If there's a one- or two-line profile which is also full of misspelled words and bad grammar.. I reply with a polite "best of luck" email.
 vivienne3
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:33:50 PM
Misspelled words and bad grammar I can live with. My misspelling is often the result of the hunt and peck typing style I employ. When I find myself doing cross-overs with my hands, a technique that works on the piano, my words come out in a jumble. If I am chatting with some one I may hit the "enter" key instead of the "shift" key. That has more to do with familiarity with the keyboard ( where in the heck is the "z") than anything else.

My irk lies with the people who write in one long continuous sentence they have at least six distictive thoughts therein these long sentences make it difficult to read and understand I am sure that Mark Twain's work would be less enjoyable if there was no punctuation.
 miss_a-z
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:37:49 PM
No. Or rarely. I responded recently to an e-mail without a trace of punctuation--I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I should not have, my initial judgment was right. But if they have word after word misspelled, horrible grammar, poor sentence structure, excess use of slang--all of which are usually coupled with (and made worse by) pictures of the person throwing up some gang symbol with three of his 'boys' in the background looking equally as lame. If someone can't even bother to spell correctly or piece a few words together into a decent sentence, then I feel like they are too dumb for me to engage in conversation with and delete the e-mail.
 Rocketgirl4
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:38:09 PM
FYI.... "to critical" ......."to" is supposed to be ...."too" critical me? You bet I am. Spelling is a direct indicator of a person's intelligence level, to a certain degree. In the case of a new Canadian then it may be excused...for a little while.

I have dated someone like this....it was part of a bigger picture. I call them the "seen" people.... ie. "I seen a nice car today" Makes my skin crawl.
 darkchocolat23
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/19/2007 2:54:43 PM
Sent out an email to a group of my friend and there is one word where instead of saying products...I forgot to put the "s". This guy who is seriously hitting on me writes back to say...."you need to be more careful and proofread your correspondence before you send them...not meaning to be critical or anything" He totally lit my short fuse...I could have accepted..."oh, you forgot to put the "s" on products in your email" This is somebody who sends me mails with so many incorrect spellings and grammars...... Even now that he is off my Christmas list...I am still shaking my head in amazement at the sheer conceit of this guy.... Sometimes when we are put too much stock in appearance...we miss out on a lot. Guy or girl may not have been able to complete education because of reasons beyond control at time.... I try not to judge there. Spelling and grammar may be crap but they might still be highly intelligent and can teach me a thing or two........ I have my standards too but it's not all that high......lol. If they can get past my profile...they are brave indeed.....
 flyhigher4
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/19/2007 3:04:06 PM
Sorry but it sounds like you may be one of the "bad spellers". I most certainly would not respond to someone with bad spelling and grammar. This only shows that the person is uneducated, lazy and doesn't want to give the effort of spellcheck to make themself seem like a smart adult. Sorry and goodbye!!
 victoriangirl
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/19/2007 3:30:59 PM
[It’s a well known fact that some of the most intelligent people are Dyslexic. ]

Excuse me? Where on earth did you find any documentation to state this "well-known fact"? I've never heard of it.

I think that presenting yourself well in written form is a sign of respect to the person to whom you are writing. If you can't respect me enough to hit your spell-checker, then don't bother. I also agree with the run-on sentence, no punctuation issue. That drives me nuts. ALL CAPS & txt spk is also very hard to read. I'm sorry, but I just don't want to have to work that hard at figuring what someone is trying to say.

Some of you may believe that is being judgemental, but the fact is we all have things that we admire and do not admire in potential mates. I admire someone who knows how to present themselves verbally, and in written form, in a polished manner. Not perfect. I'm not perfect either, but blatant disregard for any rules and guidelines of spelling, grammar, and the like is a major turn-off for me.

And for those of you, who are young enough to still wish to have children with your future mate, do you really think this person is going to be able to assist those children with schoolwork, when they are basically illiterate themselves?
 darkchocolat23
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/19/2007 3:43:24 PM
Highflyer: I hope everyone on this forum take a look at your profile.....they might just tell you the impression they have of you from reading it......I really cannot waste the time, nor do I care to give you the attention you need.....
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 3:52:07 PM
I over look MANY spelling and grammatical errors and almost all punctuation errors. However, when a letter is so poorly written that I end up guessing what the person is trying to say, NO, I do not respond. It's easy enough to tell when a person is just not familiar with a keyboard (as many men are not) but if they fail miserably at written communication then you can pretty much expect that they won't do a lot better verbally.
 kitticat
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 4:04:06 PM
I had a boyfriend once who was the worst speller on the face of the earth. He once wrote me an email in which he said he put me on a pet stool. I pondered long and hard over that one. What would a pet stool be? A little stool that your doggie can stand on to get to the doggie treats? Finally I figured it out....a pedestal! I thought it was very sweet, and his misspellings often made me smile...he was actually a very sweet, loving man who had difficulties in school because he was abused as a child. His brains were in his hands... he could fix anything and always tried to fix whatever was "on the blink" at my house. A hell of a nice guy. His poor spelling didn't change that in the least.

Some people say that spelling a word the same way every time you write it shows a lack of creativity or imagination. Who knows?
 000firefighter
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/19/2007 4:17:07 PM
Op; I have quickly read through your profile, your sentence structure is poor to say the least, not even close to my high standard's of the written English language.

Now, does the above sentence read properly, there are four mistakes, can you point out the obvious?
Please do not run to my profile to try and find fault, as I know it's not written properly. I am not the one here complaining, you are. I had to dumb it down so to speak for people like yourself.

Actually my grammar and spelling sucks just wanted to make you think for a minute, to realise just how superficial people like yourself sound in these forums....
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 51
Posted: 11/19/2007 4:19:12 PM
Poor grammar is not indication of personality, just lack of education or maybe lazyness. Don't let this prevent you from meting cool people.
 WouldYou
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/19/2007 4:28:55 PM
Perhaps if YOU are so Picky them you should have joined a site where the individuals have to "pay" to join. Maybe if it were a paying site then that would weed out all the high school drop out *lol* See how stupid that sounds? DUH!! No one is perfect.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >