Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 71
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 2 of 54    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)

Don't know what dictionary you were looking in grannie boo, maybe you should look again.......
Searches in Websters Unabridged, Random House Unabridged, Britannica, and World Book, ALL turned up - 0 - results for "misspelt" and ALL asked if I meant "misspelled". What dictionary have you found this word in? LOL! might come in handy in a Scrabble game sometime!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 72
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:16:09 PM
Gwen bites her tongue and says nothing about the incorrect punctuation in the OP's posting.
 leanco
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:42:05 PM
Thankfully, nearly all the emails I get have been reasonably well written. I don't mind the occasional mistake, but if it gets to the point where the message itself becomes hard to decipher, then my interest level drops steeply.

I also agree with bettydoll of msg 46 in that presenting yourself well (in a written form) is a sign of respect. If the sender does not even make the minimal efforts to convey a message clearly, how can the recipient be blamed for not taking the message seriously? Nobody likes to have to read a message many times over and still not sure what it's trying to say.

And nobody is ever offended by a well written email, but many would be by poorly written ones.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 78
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:51:29 PM
I admit I am not great at spelling or my grammar at times. I do try my best however to be sincere and honest and make my self as clear and to the point as I can; however, I hate Grammar Nazi's and spelling dictators. As long as it is understandable, it should not be an issue. Those that make it an issue are missing out on some wonderful people. Yes there is spellcheck and thesaurus dot com and dictionary dot com; however, it does not help a dyslexic out that much. As for the grammar. I grew up around ESL students and was one of the few english speakers in my school. It is a wonder I have any sence of good grammar at all. I let people with porr grammar and spelling slide. it is the least I can do.
 London Lass 59
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/19/2007 8:16:26 PM
Well pardon me grannie, I forgot, I am British....... according to the Cambridge advanced dictionary, Misspelt is an actual word............ sorry to burst your bubble......

As some of the posters have mentioned immigrants and spelling, I am from the UK where words are often spelt differently from the US. I have lived here for 12 years, and I make a point to spell the American way. If I can do it, then other immigrants living here should be able to do the same.........
 loveisclickaway
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/19/2007 8:30:44 PM
I respond because I realize most men learn to type with the 2 finger approach. I have been typing over 40 years. Most men learned to type only with the advent of computers. Now if a person speaks the way they type, I'd run lol!
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 8:42:41 PM
LondonLass, Ahhh, well, I am NOT an immigrant, I am an American...living IN America; and obviously I mistook the sign on the door to this forum as "Relationships" not UK...which I would not have dared to enter as it is quite obvious, I'm linguistically impaired. However, very good on the Cambridge Advanced Dictionary, "misspelt" is indeed listed as very specific to the UK. I would hardly expect the OP to know this though, and would imagine that UK residents might be similarly befuddled at the usage of some Appalachain terms which are quite proper in the USA, but unknown to other English speaking countries. As for impressing anyone with my vocabulary in a Scrabble game however, would "misspelt" be disqualified as a "foreign" word? Assuming of course that I were playing in the USA with American opponents, this might be challenged. LOL! it's undoubtedly a moot point at this juncture , as I expect we will all be speaking Spanish in the near future anyway!
 London Lass 59
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/19/2007 9:09:57 PM
Grannie, thank you for recognising the difference in UK/American spellings....... However, I don't think that it is scrabble we are playing here, at least it wasn't the last time I checked on this thread's title.........!! lol

Getting back to the subject of the thread........ I would still have a problem with responding to an email that had many incorrect spellings, I make a point of spell checking if I am unsure, that is not too much to ask from other people........
 nexthyme
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 10:33:30 PM
Grandma....That can lose you some points on your scrabble game... LOL

Besides being a political fire storm.... (commenting on the language change of this fine country of ours)

LOL, I have to say I like your style... Say what is on your mind, and be frank about it..

You go girl.....
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2007 5:09:43 AM

Getting back to the subject of the thread........
On the contrary, I believe that it is a very "real life" example of the limitations one encounters in attempting to converse with a person who has a poor command of language. In my first post, I stated that poor grammar and spelling are a pretty sure sign that communicating with that individual would be a struggle. I use a game of Scrabble to illustrate one of the less threatening ways in which two people might "bump heads" when one is more adept than the other. Generally, though not always, a person who doesn't spell has spent little time perusing a dictionary and will likely do some "intelligence bashing" of a partner who threatens him/her on that level. I think most of us are taught that it's not nice to call other people "stupid"; it is not however generally taught that calling someone "egghead" or whatever the popular term is these days...is insulting. Those who enjoy words and their usage usually enjoy reading, but there are those who feel free to call an avid reader "boring". I think you can see where I'm going with this???
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/20/2007 6:46:34 AM
Me a jst the apposite, if samone rite me and spll too good, me a think them way too ful o thamself and is just some overly pretentious bitch with nothing better to do with their time that nitpick about the small stuff, one does not have to look far to see the reason they are still single. Maybe in 20 years when they are still alone living with 20 cats they might look back and wonder ( did i miss out on the love of my life because i was way too full of myself back then on pof?).
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 102
Posted: 11/20/2007 7:03:01 AM
"people who are abit more articulate or physically attractive generaly don't have these attitudes of bitterness"

If you are going to make a big stink about grammar and spelling and how it's important to you. How you reject others for it, the least you can do is make sure you're spelling words correctly, Otherwise some people might think you're just a pompous windbag.

The word is spelled GENERALLY Not GENERALY but i am sure with your super intelligence you already knew that and was just testing us less fortunate souls.
 your**girl
Msg: 108
Posted: 11/20/2007 8:10:07 AM
An excessive amount of bad grammar and misspelled words is a bit of a turn off to me, but I always respond because if someone thought enough of me to email, I don't want them to feel like they have been totally rejected by not receiving an email back. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. The problem with this is that I do end up spending a lot of time emailing people just to be nice.....heh heh....you could make a full time job out of this......well there's my two cents!
 Prairiephotos
Msg: 110
Posted: 11/20/2007 9:58:39 AM
Due to dyslexia and a neuromuscular disorder which has caused a disconnect between my brain and my fingers my spelling is very bad. Therefore I use a spell check before I send a message or make a post.

Everyone will make an occasional error in spelling or grammar, so I do not get too concerned when I receive a message with a few mistakes. Even highly intelligent people can have issues which may cause them difficulty with written communication, but most of them will use a spell check or some other means to overcome their problem. When I receive a message from someone which contains many errors I try to determine whether the problem is due to laziness, ignorance, or written communication issues.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 114
Posted: 11/20/2007 4:23:54 PM

and it is mostly women who do this... they bring bad energy and the perfect police are not very much fun to hang with...

Have any more "butter 'em ups" for the guys?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/20/2007 4:28:19 PM
Know why men love to have sex with English teachers?

Because we say, "You'll do this over and over again until you get it right."

And when they get it right, we let them know.

Some things need to be perfected.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 118
Posted: 11/20/2007 6:28:00 PM

anyone that has to jump on every grammarical error or verbally assaulting anyone when they communicate ... you gals gottah be a real spontaneous treat in bed...

Gwen wonders how many of these women howbigisyourlove has had sex with in order to make such a statement.
 JRJDallas
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/20/2007 6:33:24 PM
Compatible intellect is too important in a relationship, bad grammar is a total turn off. I don't mind the ru for are you, etc, when it's from someone you already know and know that they can spell and write. Overall bad grammar and misspelled words will kill it for me.
 aldona
Msg: 121
Posted: 11/20/2007 6:42:32 PM
Wow! An instant judgement call. This person may have English as 2nd. language and in their first language be a language major! Also, there are many hearing-impaired persons who have never heard the spoken word and have great difficulty with spelling and writing except in the acceptable ASL (American Sign Language), individuals who may be brilliant. I would read for content, concept, feelings, etc before making a judgement.
 JRJDallas
Msg: 123
Posted: 11/20/2007 7:35:58 PM
When I see bad grammar I wonder if they have a crappy truck and messed up teeth. Lol
 LiveLoveLaugh7
Msg: 127
Posted: 11/20/2007 8:35:03 PM
"I have met men with a high school education who are very articulate and interesting, and men who are college graduates who cannot carry on an intelligent conversation. An intelligent mind is very sexy to me."

Well then, there you have it. You answered your own question......silly bird.

A person could be highly intelligent in other areas, i.e. mathematicians have their strengths while english majors have theirs. Doesn't mean they are less intelligent. You'll have to look at the person as a whole. Decide from there, and not be so critical of a few mispelled words, that could in fact be typos.

But I agree with nexthyme, I couldn't have said it better.
 Bumpkin82
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2007 9:44:52 PM
i wud haf ta say nah!! Teasing. no I wouldn't write back. i am not perfect always with my typing depends if I'm tired, its late or dark... but if they can't even take the time out to type slow and correctly then I don't want someone who is , no offense, but not very educated...
 jeskew
Msg: 134
Posted: 11/21/2007 1:53:57 AM
If it's "very" bad, then it is difficult to want to respond. I am educated, and hardly being able to decipher someone's email to you automatically makes you think they are less educated than you, or simply just don't care. One or two mistakes in an entire email, I can overlook that, but worse than third grade, sorry honey, either proofread before hitting send, or move on.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 135
Posted: 11/21/2007 3:04:02 AM
We've all been guilty of the occasional typo, but anyone who contacts me with bad spelling and no punctuation I wouldn't be interested in.

How can you communicate if you can't get the basics right?

The same goes with people who think it's cool to use dumb skater talk abbreviations or stupid rap talk. 'Sup' means nothing to me when it pops up in an IM box or email.
 leanco
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2007 3:07:39 AM
pp000, I must be one of those 55 people, because I can read what you wrote without much problem. Yes, I think the first and last letter is what my brain picks out, and the middle was more or less an "educated" guess. The problem is, I am so habitually picking out just the first and last letter that I once misread someone's headline. She said, "Honesty Is The Key", but I read "Horny Is The Key"!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >