Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 billyroy
Msg: 528
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 20 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)
my response to that is,

jgkp louiup lkj''uyym m.mlpj -0ikl;[l'k g;ka'l;k/

what did you think about that?

and further more,

oiqurelm ,mlj lakdoiuqoweiru kjaoufjlalfjl!!!!

never judge a book by its cover or grammar you could miss a very interesting story.

dope dou wiked mi eponse
 MeereKat
Msg: 530
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 6/15/2008 11:45:49 AM
Not Vety Often..!!
'B-ing a-bl 2 spel an use propper usaje is just basic edjic-...egic-...ejjik-...
Book-Learnin'..!!'
Show me a Lady than has a vocabulary that doesn't include Texting
and other Yammering Jibberish, and she'll at least have my Attention...!!
 sterlingan
Msg: 531
Posted: 6/15/2008 1:14:46 PM
seriously such a turn off if they don't know how to spell. I won't even respond. If they're doing it 'cause they're lazy then yep lazy man. If they really are unaware then that's just stupid. I only date men who are smart. I don't care if he's the hottest man alive, if he's not intelligent then out the window!!
 InfiniteBlue
Msg: 532
Posted: 6/15/2008 3:17:24 PM
I've always been really bothered by people who think that AOL-speak is an acceptable form of communication. Does it really take that much effort to type the extra two letters in "you?" This isn't SMS, you've got a full keyboard sitting in front of you.

"if u type liek this den i rly dont wanna speek wit u"

Having been around the internet for a while, I've never found a case where someone who types like the above was worth meeting in Real Life.

Text may not be the best of mediums for communicating emotion or sarcasm, but you can usually tell a lot about a person by the effort they put into their profiles/posts/e-mails/IMs.

Just my $0.02 CDN.
 L.D.
Msg: 534
Posted: 6/15/2008 3:31:04 PM
I'm a writer and editor, so I usually ignore them. When I've responded it hasn't turned out well.

I've even fixed an entire profile for people and emailed it to them. An email or two with bad composition I can let slide - people get in a hurry.

When I correct things and send it to them, some times it ticks them off, some times they say thanks, some times they ignore it. I've noticed that most really good-looking women and particularly the ones who have breast enhancements don't bother to fix it, or care. They're the same kind of women who just post pics on some sites. And not the kind of woman I'd date anyway. Intellect turns me on, and attention to detail shows an ordered mind.

It's considered hip to use things like "ur 2 cute, chat?" (text message type lingo) but I find that suspect. I'm not goin gangsta, ya'll. I've never met anyone with a badly-composed and non-proofed profile that I wanted to date. It's just sloppy.
 BustyWILF
Msg: 535
Posted: 6/15/2008 6:02:27 PM
A resent studdi haz shoan thet peapel hoo aar reeele krap at spelin aar amaasin in bed
 val0214
Msg: 536
Posted: 6/15/2008 6:17:54 PM
I figured too much tequilla.
 Bethany2911
Msg: 537
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2008 6:23:01 PM
I can forgive someone that's skips a letter in a word or spells something wrong here and there. I've done that before because I may be typing too fast,upset, or deep in thought. I usually do not misspell that often and if I do I correct it. Now people that misspell and use slang words frequently piss me off. It's funny that some people actually think it's cool to do that. I see it as someone that has lack of education nor cares to learn.Yes, I would agree it is a major turn off.
 mickm2006
Msg: 538
Posted: 6/15/2008 6:26:19 PM
~Could you tell a wise man by the way he speaks or spells? Is this more important than the stories that he tells? And call a man a fool if for wealth he doesn't strive....
Then, Mister, you're a better man than I~
(apologies to The Yardbirds)
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 539
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2008 6:52:41 PM
OP.

No, I don't think this is being to critical. Communication is very important. If I recieved a message with very poor spelling and grammar I'd probably send a message back to them that satirically stresses the importance of good grammar and spelling or if it is appropriate I'd offer to help them with their spelling and grammar.

Would I refuse to write back- unlikely. Would I refuse the person... that depends on how I feel about that person.

Cyclingmonk
 curveyone
Msg: 540
Posted: 6/15/2008 11:31:54 PM
well if i have to decipher it and can't make head nor tail out of it, then NO i won't respond. i realize most people do not have time to proofread their responses or emails but for crying out loud, you'd think they could at least proofread their profiles so they don't look like total idiots, sheesh. makes me wonder how they passed in school or even if they went to school.
 curlygirly25
Msg: 541
Posted: 6/17/2008 10:30:52 PM
Go to Youtube and look up Taylor Mali. He does an entire skit on using spell and grammar check. It is hilarious!!!
 .Selena.
Msg: 542
Posted: 6/24/2008 12:50:00 PM
I read parts of this topic the other day and just had to contribute. I won't automatically disregard someone for a misspelled word or two, a missing comma here and there, but there are instances where it is not forgivable. This being one (received today):
"hws ur summer goin, im just mess u 2 say that i find u very attractive not
lookn 4 anythn just wantd 2 let u no sumthn im sure uve heard b4, lol (name here)"

When I receive an email like this, from a THIRTY TWO year old GROWN man, it's pretty clear we are not going to work out
 txkhm
Msg: 543
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2008 1:49:00 PM

seriously such a turn off if they don't know how to spell. I won't even respond. If they're doing it 'cause they're lazy then yep lazy man. If they really are unaware then that's just stupid. I only date men who are smart. I don't care if he's the hottest man alive, if he's not intelligent then out the window!!

If it is obvious that it is a typo, perhaps because she is excited or in a hurry, then I let it slide. But I like to date intelligent girls, and part of that is to know how to spell correctly. To write things like "what r u doing", and similar, I can't stand... It is not that hard to write out teh full text, and when I worked as a journalist, I learned the abreviations actually slows down the rythm when you read, the brain have to stop and translate. So it is a consideration to the person you are writing.
But sometimes the grammar is not 100% perfect. I can live with that, especially if the person (like me) does not have English as their primary/first language. But someone born in the US should know the difference between their and there...
 Gracep
Msg: 544
Posted: 6/24/2008 1:57:38 PM
Well.. my natal language is spanish so i´m good in spanish grammar but sometimes there are things that i don´t know in english nor french(beginner) and i try to write it well... That is my case... but there are a lot of people that are not good in grammatical issues but it could be for any circumstance... at least try to answer, no?
 Javan2
Msg: 545
Posted: 6/24/2008 2:03:10 PM
Blue Eyed Vegas Guy says: " well i will check their profile and if it seems to be just a typo and the person otherwise seems "normal" then i don't have a real problem with it."

This position seems reasonable to me. I know I'm not always correct in either spelling or grammar, but I do my best.
 aoakley08
Msg: 546
Posted: 6/24/2008 2:05:34 PM
I don't judge people by how many words they misspell... that sounds a cheap shot.. to me... sure they might have a different way of spelling.. but, technology the way it is.. look at texting... the words ( IMO) , is the chopping block of american language. But, I'm only one fish.. and every one is welcome to their own opinion...
My father who died several years ago.... He could not read or write... Just his name.... Yet, He fought in the war, was over seas, was crafted carpenter, was hard working man, and I am proud of who he was.. so, why are we so petty we have to judge people for such a simple thing... oh , it must be that being in the right LEAGUE.... please................
 figure_fourteen
Msg: 547
Posted: 6/24/2008 2:09:19 PM
It seems like there is a culture of poor grammar on the net. People use all kinds of shortcuts when they're writing, using acronyms, misspelling words, spelling words phonetically, and so on. Since there is no one checking their grammar and correcting them, they generally get away with it. To some of us, that does not make it acceptable.

I, for one, believe that it is important to use proper grammar in any mode of communication. I pride myself on my ability to speak and write properly, and use proper grammar to indicate that I am an intelligent, educated person. I also use it in the hopes of attracting intelligent, educated women, since I find that attractive in a woman. Since there are all kinds on the net, I'm hoping it's a way of making me stand out from the crowd. I also use womens' use of grammar as a way of weeding out the less educated ones.
 Son Shine
Msg: 549
Posted: 6/24/2008 2:23:08 PM
An odd mistake here and there is ok, but if it makes the person seem like they spent a bit too much time either smoking the funny stuff in high school or concentrating a bit too much on shoes...well, it's not sexy ...

Ladyhawke050
Msg: 551
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2008 6:56:15 PM
I have yet to receive an email for a guy that I didn't have to try interpret and decipher what he was trying to say. When we meet it is different. A lot of guys just dont like to type,,they prefer talking in person,,,so yes, it don't bother me. What bothers me if to receive a badly written letter with them telling me that I don't use good grammar,,,,go figure.
 cak_student
Msg: 552
Posted: 6/24/2008 7:23:10 PM
I write for a living. I've had more English/writing classes than I care to remember.

My not responding to a guy who improperly punctuated, misspelled, failed to use an apostrophe, or included a misplaced participle would be absolutely ridiculous.

I also do it sometimes (and I write for a living).

I would hope that if I hooked up with an accountant or engineer, he wouldn't reject me because I can't keep my decimel points in line sometimes when I balance my bank statement (although I wouldn't blame him, as that can cause more far-reaching problems than a dangling modifier ever could). LOL

We all have our gifts. In the world of internet dating, we have to write to each other initially before we'll ever meet.

Written communication isn't everyone's gift.
 ExplosiveSheep
Msg: 553
Posted: 6/24/2008 11:50:51 PM
I herd u gawt prblens wiv speels?
 dbk9000
Msg: 554
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:02:25 AM
Of Course, That's the way I am.
 abelian
Msg: 555
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:15:27 AM
That would depend on whether I have enough time to make the corrections.
 abelian
Msg: 556
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:25:23 AM

Written communication isn't everyone's gift.

Maybe not, but even the most challenged speller can use a spell checker and every post is a chance for a person to practice his or her writing skills. You only get one chance to tell someone you're conscious. However, I'm a guy, so most of those deficiencies will be offset by a good photo.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >