Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 electric-gypsy
Msg: 718
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 27 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)

Um, not a valid comparison.

Um, actually it IS a valid comparison. True, the "basic tools" of SPOKEN language are learned naturally, before school age, but putting ideas to paper (or screen) can be something else entirely. I agree that misspellings and the like are annoying to people like you and I but that's because it's a talent that comes easily to us. Some people don't care to master our language but I wouldn't write them off as inherently stupid. Their talents simply lie elsewhere.
 Jazz-Fan
Msg: 720
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 7/9/2008 6:03:01 PM
^^^^^^^
Well argued and very funny.....

... we will soon reach a stage where people aren’t sure what they are talking about.

Read the discussions of climate change and you will see that we have already reached that stage.
 ClassyfiedAlly
Msg: 721
Posted: 7/9/2008 6:45:51 PM

I suppose it depends upon your web browser being compatible with the software in this website but when you incorrectly type a word or miss a space between words, you should then find a wavy red line under the error.

Tanks again Mr. Fox....I'm a happy camper at this particular juncture. I'm using Firefox from now on! I just posted in another forum and was about to have to go to Dictionary.com (as I do about a zillion times a day) to look something up, but that rip-roarin' spellchecker saved me the trouble. ::doing dance of joy::
 ManeRider
Msg: 722
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2008 6:56:59 PM
Rschearers at Cmabirgde Unvieristy dcsoievred taht polepe don't atuclaly need all the lteters of the wrods in oderr to ditsniguios tehir mnaeing, so lnog as the fsrit and lsat lteters mctah.
Fnuny, huh!!
 Rubytyr1
Msg: 723
Posted: 7/9/2008 7:36:12 PM
As long as its more then "Hi, how are you? - sure, god knows my grammer and spelling is awful...well, its more typo and dyslexic based - but still a mess to read at times lol...
 Jazz-Fan
Msg: 725
Posted: 7/10/2008 10:52:01 AM
^^^^
This is quite interesting, isn't it? But, when you think about it, writing by intentionally misspelling all but the first and last letter in each word requires (a) rules, and (b) that the rules should be followed. So wouldn't it be just as easy to try to follow the rules of conventional English?

In the spirit of the messages about this, from now on I'm going to spell my nickname, jazz-fan, as jizz-fun.
 bathurstman08
Msg: 727
Posted: 7/10/2008 11:18:03 AM
well it depends how bad it is.
if it is like evry word looks like a kid in grade 7 wrote it then i start wondering if the person took the time to look at what they were writing.
 Suthn_Boy
Msg: 728
Posted: 7/10/2008 3:30:08 PM
I think it matters..

Says a lot about who is at the other end.. Some are just not paying attention to what they write, and don't proof anything. (Profiles often reflect that too). But all that has significance. How much, is a judgment call.

However, if they write really poorly, chances are in person they talk even worse.

If it's really bad, I usually respond and recommend a good spell-checker..

-Suth'nBoy

Ur Xoxo
Msg: 730
Posted: 7/10/2008 6:33:47 PM

he will never find a partner, such is life! (The last sentence was just dripping with sarcasm, just in case anyone reading this cannot read between the lines!)

My dear aangel maybe if you tell him he is worthy, he could find a partner.

Dyslexia does not impair true relations with another. Rather it is ones perception that impairs the ability to see love~unabridged.

* Spelling errors — Because of difficulty learning letter-sound correspondences, individuals with dyslexia might tend to misspell words, or leave vowels out of words.
* Letter order - Dyslexics may also reverse the order of two letters especially when the final, incorrect, word looks similar to the intended word (e.g., spelling "dose" instead of "does").
* Highly phoneticized spelling - Dyslexics also commonly spell words inconsistently, but in a highly phonetic form such as writing "shud" for "should". Dyslexic individuals also typically have difficulty distinguishing among homophones such as "their" and "there".
* Reading — Due to dyslexics' excellent long term memory, young students tend to memorize beginning readers, but are unable to read individual words or phrases.
* Vocabulary - Having a small written vocabulary, even if they have a large spoken vocabulary.

Really it is about how Dyslexic one is. Like love, there are varying degrees ascribed as to what we are capable of.

Some can spell and some can love.
And as shown by some on this thread, some can do neither. Only hate for people they wish not to understand.

I personally know of individuals who are in a lifetime relationship, dealing with all these issues, they are dyslexic in written words but not in meaningful communication.

May your armpits be infested by a thousand fleas.
 Krazy Kar
Msg: 731
Posted: 7/10/2008 6:34:45 PM
I quite agree. Grammar and spelling are huge to me. It irritates the shit out of me if people net speak while trying to 'meet' someone. It's fine if I know the person and it's an occasional thing for the humor of the conversation or something. Seems a rare thing now a day though.... =_=
 ClassyfiedAlly
Msg: 732
Posted: 7/10/2008 7:02:01 PM

Some can spell and some can love.
And as shown by some on this thread, some can do neither. Only hate for people they wish not to understand.

That's funny....I don't recall seeing anyone say they hated anyone on this thread. I also think it has little to do with one's desire or lack thereof to understand; it's about preference and personal choice. One of the perks of being an adult.
 Darbie
Msg: 734
Posted: 7/10/2008 8:39:53 PM
For me it depends on the extent of the bad grammer and misspelled words. If it is totally unreadable or you can tell its slear lazyness. Then well...........

But I do have to admit, my grammer is really bad, my spelling is not a whole lot better, but I try. It does not mean that I am not smart or that im not educated. It has always been an issue with me right from grade school. I can still remember my grade 8 teacher spending hours and hours with me so I could go on to high school. I ended up with a A in spelling and grammer but by time I got to high school I had lost it. It seems any schooling that I have done since has been a real issue and I have had to work extra hard. So please don't totally shut people out due to issues such as that. It could be it is just not there best quality. It also does not mean that that is how they talk. It is possible to that there is dyslexia. I need spell check.
 Ur Xoxo
Msg: 735
Posted: 7/10/2008 9:36:55 PM
A writer can include or dis include words of hate or love. They, non-inclusives, do not especially like to profess their hate. As such, won't write hate of said. But by disclaiming the afflicted misspeller's and don't wanna be English Lit Professors, from friendships and more. They are actually saying, 'I don't want to be anywhere near the misspeller's.'

Which, in my mind , shows hateful non-inclusiveness.

They think,
Get the fawk out of my life because you can not distinguish there from their.

<div class="quote">....I don't recall seeing anyone say they hated anyone on this thread.

The words themselves need not be spoken, or written, for us to hear them.

<div class="quote">love and peace
hug someone new today
regards from 40, defender of the faith, the weak and the ridiculous.
 MisterEddy
Msg: 736
Posted: 7/11/2008 12:15:00 AM
In this day and age where computers are in every household, school, and business, I would have to wonder about someone who doesn't know how to type properly, its' really no different than writing on paper. I wouldn't judge them for it, but it wouldn't necessarily attract me to them either.

Then there are those who know how to type well but insist on typing in slang or ghetto type gibberish: " haha wuss popin mah nigg....we gotta klick up soon ya herd.....get at me ighhhh.....SiNN" <------------the actual words of someone!
 fox_fire
Msg: 738
Posted: 7/11/2008 4:05:59 AM
Seems like there are a few of you who are overly sensitive, and take the defensive immediately when called down on poor spelling, grammar, sentence syntax. The very basics of communicating on the simplest of levels when writing, are taught in the lower grades. Simple contractions are confused with possessives. This is learned in the 1st grade people. Come on!

So by the time we've (contraction) gotten to the "3rd Grade" the basics of sentence structure have already been demonstrated and explained to us... if we were paying attention. People learn in different ways, not all the same, but it is still the same problem. Some get the message and some don't. (contraction) Possessive: Sally's or Bob's.

I don't (contraction) see any hostility in anyone's (contraction) comments here. People who rush to defend themselves with the "Dyslexia" excuse aren't (contraction) always Dyslexic. There was a time when it was considered shameful to admit such a condition, but now too many people seem to lean on it as an excuse when I suspect that they just missed the basics of English in their formative school years.

Not everyone has the ability to be a Rocket Scientist but it sure is a pity that a significant amount of native Americans are unable to write, or speak properly these days. Somewhere along the way our education system has failed us. Kids in this country barely speak English at all comparatively and in places like China they not only speak several dialectics of their own language but in the cities they are taught English from very young and speak it better than most of our own kids! Funny how they don't seem to have a problem with "Dyslexia".
 urinemyway
Msg: 739
Posted: 7/11/2008 6:01:12 AM
Well put, fox fire.

I wonder why it is that, on the issue of grammar, we're being admonished to look and appreciate other qualities in the person, yet we wouldn't give that leeway with other shortcomings (Can you imagine "Your boyfriend is lazy and ill-tempered." "Yes, but he has the mind of a rocket scientist.").

Um, actually it IS a valid comparison. True, the "basic tools" of SPOKEN language are learned naturally, before school age, but putting ideas to paper (or screen) can be something else entirely. I agree that misspellings and the like are annoying to people like you and I but that's because it's a talent that comes easily to us. Some people don't care to master our language but I wouldn't write them off as inherently stupid. Their talents simply lie elsewhere.

It's not my assertion that bad spellers are stupid. I say that they don't care enough to learn to do better. Learning language is regimented, like any other facet of education, and all it takes is the memorization of the rules and components. If the concept is understood, there isn't much difference between forming the thought in a person's head and speaking it, writing or typing it. Honestly, the ability did not come so easily to me. In my surroundings growing up, there was no pressure to excel. When I discovered that I liked writing, I worked hard at it. It's not what I do for a living but having the skills to write and speak well sure has come in handy - in making a case to get what I want in business dealings and from my municipality. So, far from being dismissive of people who haven't developed the skills, I hope to encourage them not to give up.
 al17al17
Msg: 740
Posted: 7/11/2008 6:08:53 AM
Did you ever think that maybe that other person has a diffrent first language?So plz stop being ignorant
 fox_fire
Msg: 741
Posted: 7/11/2008 7:52:50 AM

Thanks urinemyway.

I won't even comment on that silly message #740, a waste of effort there, but your point about the sheer laziness and character traits may well be a "red flag" when simple rules of English are completely ignored or excused. Sometimes people don't have a very good educational background for a myriad of reasons and it shows itself quite clearly in the written (and spoken) word. Now that doesn't mean they aren't good people, but it does mean it may limit them in relating to other people with a bit more learning.
People should always be encouraged towards self-improvement. Some people spend thousands of dollars on self-improvement and it surprises me that so many become offended when help is freely given!
 ClassyfiedAlly
Msg: 742
Posted: 7/11/2008 7:55:55 AM
So plz stop being ignorant

Did I miss the memo that said text speak is now a language? I think bad spelling, poor grammar, and the like are much more indicative of ignorance than what your post claims. Text speak, on the other hand, seems to me to be more a matter of laziness or a failed attempt to be cool.

As with Urinemyway, during my growing up years there was no encouragement to excel. That is, none. I grew up believing I was stupid but realized otherwise later on. I enjoy writing also, which is undoubtedly part of the reason I have put effort into my spelling, grammar, and speaking. Oh, and by the way, I grew up being taught that a winder was what one opened to get some fresh air, that a spatular was something you flip a grilled cheese sandwich with, and that phrases such as "well you knowd I would" and "was you gonna go with me?" were normal and acceptable. Yes kids, the Redneck gene pool lives. While I am not dyslexic, I do think that when a child believes they're stupid it can be as significant a barrier to learning as any formally recognized learning disability.

I agree that using dyslexia or anything else as an excuse for not caring enough to do better is a cop out. So is having English as a second language. What does any of that have to do with wanting to improve?

Like Dr. Phil says, "Ya gotta rise above your raisin'!"
 whitefether
Msg: 743
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2008 8:12:25 AM
No, I do not respond to emails that have incorrect spelling or grammar.

Sherry
 ...rosie...
Msg: 744
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2008 8:16:30 AM
i really thought this thread was about opinions...not about telling people what to do and how to do it...
we are all different...i for one don't sweat the emails....and am the typo queen...it does not mean i am ignorant...most often it means i'm in a hurry and need to partake in the real world (but wanted to stop in to say 'hey')....
for the folks who care about email grammer, typos, etc...go for it...set those boundries...hopefully you'll find what you are looking for...
and for the folks who don't care about that stuff...that is ok too...whatever floats your boat...

and for all those who judge...well, perhaps that floats your boat...i prefer to look at life a little differently...
but then, that's ok too...
rosie.
 ClassyfiedAlly
Msg: 746
Posted: 7/12/2008 12:07:30 PM

If someone is too tall or too short, or someone has brown eyes or grey eyes, or someone has big teeth or false teeth etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc, they cant change that by sitting down at the desk and spell checking the protruding nose or emailing their offending body part to a good mate for corrective surgery.
But you can spell check or email your profile for corrective surgery. So why not?

It's very simple, really; because they don't care. There's a saying in my field that applies here as well: You can fix "can't", but you can't fix "won't".
 Jazz-Fan
Msg: 747
Posted: 7/12/2008 3:51:36 PM

There's a saying in my field that applies here as well: You can fix "can't", but you can't fix "won't".

There's an interesting conundrum here: if you 'can fix "can't"' then you ought to be able to fix 'can't fix "won't"'. Is this a problem of language, logic, or my inability to figure it out?
(None of the above is meant to be taken very seriously, by the way. )
 spunkie
Msg: 749
Posted: 7/12/2008 5:23:45 PM
tell it like it is!!!!!!!! nexthyme i agree with you 100%
 HDynasty81
Msg: 750
Posted: 7/12/2008 5:28:40 PM
Huked on Fonix wurked 4 Mi!!

Seriously though if one word is misspelled, then I could let it go, but if she's talking like "OMG WHUTZ UP!!111" or just bad grammar all the way around, I'd probably be a bit leery of the person,IMO.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >