Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 m409998m1
Msg: 53
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 3 of 54    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Correct their spelling and grammar and send it back.
 London Lass 59
Msg: 54
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 11/19/2007 4:42:06 PM
Op, should that not be mis -spelt and not misspelled????? if you are being that picky!!
As much as I like to receive a well constructed email, having the odd mis-spelt word does not bother me. However, if the spelling is so bad that I cannot understand the message, that to me is a big turn off. That means that the person has not put much thought into writing to you. I am more inclined to hit the delete button in that instance.......
 Urs Truly
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 4:46:43 PM
Wow! curlygirl~ You are for the underdog I like to mention we have a lot of overseas people here Hello ! Europeans , people from many countries give them a break.
 mangos33
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/19/2007 4:52:27 PM
Most people don't know the difference between you're and your.
 siciliash
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/19/2007 5:09:15 PM
no , it's a major turn-off .
 curlygrl
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 5:11:40 PM
Wow! curlygirl~ You are for the underdog I like to mention we have a lot of overseas people here Hello ! Europeans , people from many countries give them a break.

Yeah well- I have seen people judge others over superficial things in life.
Really good people who dont deserve it - so yes, I will defend the little guy
if I beleive he is worth defending.
My family were immigrants and did not always have a real good hook
on the language- so yes, I take it personal.

curlygrl~
 nickphilosoph
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/19/2007 5:15:04 PM
Deep enz onn thie mizspellin und thie bauld grummer! Und onn thie mud I um inn!
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 5:24:26 PM
It's a complete turn off.

I received an email the other day and the man didn't use any vowels I responded in a joking manner that sure, we could go out and I'd introduce him to my friends "the vowels". It went over his head.

I had another man email me - I had to read it three times before I could even guess at what he was trying to say. It was a MESS. I checked his profile and it says he is a teacher.
 simplelady66
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/19/2007 5:56:59 PM
It is not an indication of their intelligence. While I personally re-read all my emails and posts for spelling and grammar errors before hitting send, some don't. Spell check is a great thing also, but believe it or not, some do not know how to use it.

I never base my opinions on something like this. I have kids who are intelligent, yet can't spell worth a hill of beans. Just is the way they are. Nothing the school or I have done will change it, so we give them tools to work around it.

Just my two cents
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 6:02:13 PM

Op, should that not be mis -spelt and not misspelled????? if you are being that picky!!

"Misspelt" did not seem correct to me in any vernacular, so I've looked for it in an unabridged dictionary and indeed, it does not appear as an acceptable word. "Misspelled" (adv) however is defined as "a word spelled incorrectly". Derived from "mis" meaning: " prefix: (in combination with verbs) meaning badly, or incorrectly. In combination with nouns, meaning bad, incorrect or wrong.
And I would guess that this is an object lesson in first removing the plank from one's own eye before pointing out the speck in another's!
 thebenbenstone
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/19/2007 6:27:26 PM
I'm with you there, I know it's not always their fault if they can't spell well but I find it a total turnoff. Well I am a proofreader, there are heaps of things I can't do but often it's just laziness and when you can't make head or tail of it you just ignore it.
 nexthyme
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 6:31:33 PM
Good land did you open a can of proverbial worms...

Thanks for clarifying the meaning of your ID, they are usually personal to the person, and misunderstood by others.

I actually know a high school drop out that is a better spell than myself. He is very articulate, and I didn't find out about him being a HS drop out until he and I broke up. Heck I am working on a 3rd degree, and he still could spell better than myself.

His good qualities faltered to the point of no return with his lies of omission. Which mind you, if I could have weeded him out just by poor grammar, it would have saved me a from a very bruised ego.

As I have read through the pages of responses, I can appreciate that major grammar and spelling errors does lead a person to not wanting to further communication... However, I still do not believe it should be a major deal breaker, because just because a person is a poor writer. I can promise from first hand experience that just as many that aren't poor writers, can be a worse bet.
 dreadstalker
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/19/2007 6:37:38 PM
Depends on the context in which they mail me.
Not everyone has a dating intent when they mail. Sometimes it is to ask a question., comment on the forums and even every once in a while a compliment.

Of course the fact that I am here for the forums might have something to do with it. Some feel that since I am not looking that I am safe to talk to. Heck sometimes they are even right.
 mark-alan
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/19/2007 6:46:33 PM
No it's not. But just to make sure, make some suggestions for spelling changes. If they bite your head off then drop them. I had this playboy bunny messaging me on myspace who had the IQ of a doughnut. After she spelled "does" D-O-S-E for the third time so suggested a spelling change. Well I learned that she could spell a lot of other four-letter words even if she couldn't spell this one so I deleted her as a friend. What a waste of time she was.
Mark
 London Lass 59
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/19/2007 6:51:42 PM
Don't know what dictionary you were looking in grannie boo, maybe you should look again....... we beg to differ on the spelling of the word, but the meaning is still the same. People who spell incorrectly on a regular basis are lazy and sloppy, and they wonder why their mail gets deleted........!!
 An Acronym
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/19/2007 6:54:36 PM
Excessive bad spelling/grammar throws me off - not occasionally bad (we all make mistakes), yet constant and consistent can be annoying ... especially if you know they are just being lazy with their writing.
With that said, bad spelling/grammar can be overlooked easily - just because someone cannot articulate in written words properly doesn't mean when you speak to them in person/on phone it carries over. It's just accepting that some people might have difficulty - I have a female friend who's highly intelligent, personality rocks, has a degree in biology and is currently working on her BScN and she cannot spell or use grammar for squat. These things happen.

BUT - text speech pisses me off - save it for the mobile, not emails/forum posts.
grrrr ...

general07
Msg: 69
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:02:01 PM
It bothers me somewhat but these could be innocent errors, heck nobody's perfect. I proofread all my messages and posts and still make the odd error. I 've dated some women with perfect grammer and spelling that don't know how to hold a knife and fork properly, so don't bank everything on it. I do agree however that people who i instead of I are either not interested or lazy.
 4957bub
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:07:28 PM
Hi

I feel the same way and if I gona did what I tiped then i beter no wat ime talkin abowt. You shure arr a preti gurl! Ok, if your responses are written like the past sentences, run! I am sure you can tell a typo from bad grammar, after all we all make those meeeastakes! Take care and good luck!
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:09:43 PM

Don't know what dictionary you were looking in grannie boo, maybe you should look again.......
Searches in Websters Unabridged, Random House Unabridged, Britannica, and World Book, ALL turned up - 0 - results for "misspelt" and ALL asked if I meant "misspelled". What dictionary have you found this word in? LOL! might come in handy in a Scrabble game sometime!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:16:09 PM
Gwen bites her tongue and says nothing about the incorrect punctuation in the OP's posting.
 carnal-sins
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:26:50 PM
I usually do not respond, no. It either indicates to me that they do not care how they or perceived or are uneducated. Either was is a bit of a turn off.
 samont1963
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:27:58 PM
I don't see it as judging someone by their grammar alone, I am an avid reader and communicator, I love the written word and I wouldn't want to be partnered with someone who is clearly semi-illiterate. I want to be able to share what I've read, to be able to have a great dialogue about things in common.
My last girlfriend always said 'It don't matter', now, I know she was otherwise articulate and well-spoken, but that bothered the crap out of me.
If someone doesn't know the difference between there and their, etc, it drives me batty.
If it's their second language or just a few typos, no big deal.
I was just asking someone else about this very topic an hour ago!
It makes me wonder about our education system....
 leanco
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:42:05 PM
Thankfully, nearly all the emails I get have been reasonably well written. I don't mind the occasional mistake, but if it gets to the point where the message itself becomes hard to decipher, then my interest level drops steeply.

I also agree with bettydoll of msg 46 in that presenting yourself well (in a written form) is a sign of respect. If the sender does not even make the minimal efforts to convey a message clearly, how can the recipient be blamed for not taking the message seriously? Nobody likes to have to read a message many times over and still not sure what it's trying to say.

And nobody is ever offended by a well written email, but many would be by poorly written ones.
 jagerbomb13
Msg: 76
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:42:26 PM
AGREE!! I think that sometimes case sensitive things are excusable...because a lot of us are so used to typing quickly, that capitalizing everything isn't always necessary. On the other hand, when you're getting to know someone purely THROUGH their TEXT... (hint hint to those people....ugggh) it should matter!! If you don't take things very seriously and want to seem "cool" by all means spell things wrong. See how well things go. I am a Nazi when it comes to spelling, (I'm German, allowed to say that, haha) and I have a deeper "grr-ness" for that sort of thing! I think I found someone anyway, hopefully all goes well and I will not be using this site for experimenting! Good luck to everyone...
 dreadstalker
Msg: 77
Posted: 11/19/2007 7:50:50 PM
This thread has been hilarious. I must thank all of you. Many who have been so gracious as to gift us with their own reasons for not returning mail because of mis-spelled words and or poor grammar have displayed just those things in your posts. Again thanks for the laughs.

Oh, you was actually serious? Now that is even funnier.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >