Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 138
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 3 of 54    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)

PamperPooch....pretty funny! I was surprised that I read thru that without a problem! lol I think the point is, to the poster who found it so offensive for those of us to be hung up on spelling/grammar/punctuation...its not that we think necessarily that the person is an idiot...lazy would be more like it. At least for me. A little typo here and there isnt what the topic is referring to (at least thats not how I took it). And plus, I think its a personal thing. I have a hard time trying to hold a conversation with people who say things like "yous," "aint gotta/gonna," "hows come," etc. (cant think of the normal ones that drive me nuts...lol) but you get the drift. I find myself losing interest in the conversation VERY quickly...
LOL! misplacedankette, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Yes, it's not a matter of whether or not I could read and understand what was being said. Notice however, that it was only the spelling issue which was addressed. The syntax was still there! (No misplaced modifiers, no fragmented sentences etc.) To those who insinuate that it's judgemental and arrogant to dismiss someone with poor writting skills as less than decent people, you're the ones being judgemental and arrogant. When we say that we find this trait irritating, it means nothing more than that. It's irritating....to us! To some, it's an irritation to hear people talk with a mouth full of food, or snapping gum, or cracking their knuckles, or using profanity every other word, or wearing pants that are 2 inches too short. It has nothing to do with how decent or nice they might be....it has to do with the fact that their personal habits make us uncomfortable. Not all of us are uncomfortable with the SAME things; so how about easing up on those of us who simply have DIFFERENT issues than your own in what makes us cringe. (scraps nails down the chalkboard!!!! ewwwwww take that!)
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 146
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 11/21/2007 7:30:17 AM

that is so shallow that a water spider couldn't even swim in it. no doubt the only difference in you and them is, you use spell check and they don't lol

Actually, that isn't the difference. A person can use spell-check and still have a plethora of errors in a missive. Spell-check will not get the nuances or context of words such as "there/their," "you're/your" and so on. Spell-check is a wonderful tool; despite the fact that I spell very well, I use it to catch typos. Also, not everyone has spell-check on his/her web browser. If yours doesn't, I suggest downloading Mozilla Firefox and using it because spell-check is a default.

For those of you who are defending poor typists and ESL people, no need to defend them. Typos and ESL "mistakes" are obvious and easy to differentiate from people who, simply put, cannot spell correctly.

Being able to spell well is not connected to intelligence; it is a talent with which we are born, like a singing voice. There are also learning disabilities, such as dyslexia, that interfere. However, that doesn't mean that someone who is born a poor speller can't improve; smart people find ways to compensate.

To me, people who do not take the time to at least TRY to correct errors just don't give a damn. The attitude of what is said is more important than how it is said loses its point when the meaning is lost to incorrect spelling, syntax, or other grammatical errors.

Of course, I am an English teacher. I read hundreds of essays in a semester. Unfortunately, the quality of writing has gone down in even the seven years I have been teaching college. Netspeak is one culprit, but the attitudes expressed by some of the people in this forum bespeaks the broader problem of apathy.

As for the woman who said she reads the writing of her office mates everyday and has to decipher them--why should you? They should be putting enough time and effort into getting their points across so that it shouldn't be difficult.

There are, indeed, brilliant minds who can't write a letter without errors; too bad that some of them won't get noticed in the shuffle of others who are not so brilliant and, likewise, can't spell. I have a friend whom I met on POF who is dyslexic. He writes his messages in Word, then edits and spell-checks before he sends them.

Too bad other people with spelling problems do not do the same.
 violetstreak
Msg: 148
Posted: 11/21/2007 7:45:36 AM
There are many people who learned English as a second language and that may contribute to spelling and / or grammatical errors.
There are also many people who have learning disabilities such as dyslexia and that may contribute to said errors.
There are also people who have always had slight hearing impairment which contributes to their spelling.
There are also people who never finished highschool.

None of these things make a person any less worthy of a response, none of theses things ensure that the person doesnt have a good job or make a decent living .

And CERTAINLY none of these things is an indication of character or what kind of a mate they would be.
All of the above factors apply to my father and he is an amazing man, who had a very good job, who supported my mother and our family to the ends of the earth both financially and emotionally. He has a heart of gold.
He reads and writes English but not too well, he speaks it just as well as many people(with the excepetion of a few misplaced/misused words).. his spelling is an absolute atrocity.
I would never not respond to someone based SOLELY on spelling and grammar.
 Pronide
Msg: 156
Posted: 11/21/2007 8:44:43 AM
It depends on how many misspelled words if its a few hits to the wrong key I'll over look it ,if its alot of simple misspelled words then I figure ... not too bright,and then no I dont respond
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 159
Posted: 11/21/2007 10:56:18 AM

I think WHAT a person has to say is more important the HOW they say it. If bad grammar bugs me, that's my problem, not theirs. :-)

This is a logical fallacy. If you CANNOT understand what a person is writing, then WHAT they are trying to say is moot.

Spelling counts. For example, if a person intends to use the old saw "I will grin and bear it," it has an ENTIRELY different meaning than "I will grin and bare it." The first applies to a person with a problem who will make the best of the situation; the second is what a stripper says.

As far as it being "my" problem rather than the other person, it depends on how much that other person wants to get and keep my attention.

Anyone who reads the postings of the people in this forum should be able to see the importance of proper mechanics; some postings are like wading against the current in a rapidly flowing stream with ice floes in it; others are easy to read and understand.

Which would you REALLY like to read?
 NorseViking869
Msg: 164
Posted: 11/21/2007 11:51:23 AM
I actully Had a professor in college who said that if Stephen King or many popular authors of modern American literature were in his class, he would have flunked them. He finds errors in their works. Now that is a grammar and spelling nazi. I doubt he took into concideration, coloquialisms( please spare me from the ovens oh mercyful grammar nazi's if I spelled that wrong) or wether it was the writers intention to write from a different set of eyes.

I just think that as long as it is understandable, you should let it slide. I do when it comes to chatting with people. Now if I meet them or speak to them on the phone and I can't understand them. Then I bolt.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 165
Posted: 11/21/2007 11:55:21 AM
On another note to the gramar and spelling nazis. If you recieved an email from the same man or woman, a week or so later, Would you forgive their transgretion of inpropper grammar or spelling if they sent you a propper email. Or would you still treat them as less than human.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 168
Posted: 11/21/2007 12:08:43 PM
howbigisyourlove, I agree with the lady who said that you prove her point--amusingly so.

Now, could you rephrase the mess that you wrote in order for me to understand it WITHOUT wading through it four or five times? Life is too short to continue wasting time on trying to figure out what the hell you mean when you write these garbled postings. I have about 60 Comp I and II essays I need to read; I like to save my deciphering energy for them.

To the man who said his professor would have flunked Stephen King: Creative writing is not bound by the same rules as is writing essays--or forum postings. If I had King in a composition class, he would have not been writing fiction and would have had to adjust his style to pass. If it had been a creative writing class, he could have written away to his heart's content. Also, King's use of the language is deliberate, not accidental. He KNOWS what he is doing when he uses vernacular, sentence fragments, etc. In addition, if people could NOT understand what he writes, they wouldn't buy his work.

King writes things other than fiction, by the way. Read his commentary on the horror genre--the book is called the The Danse [sic] Macabre (I think that is the title, something close to it). The style is different because he is addressing a different audience.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 169
Posted: 11/21/2007 12:15:39 PM
I think that english teachers sometimes are too jaded by grading papers to actullay care about what a person has to say. To equate intellegence or stupidity by spelling errors seems ok. Until you meet someone with 125 or higher I.Q. with dylexia and grew up dealing with ESL students as friends because I was the only natural english speaker in my class. Plus I do tend to type faster than I think when i am passionate over a subject.
 IThought UWereAHandpuppet
Msg: 175
Posted: 11/21/2007 4:56:08 PM
Ha ha - How would I know? I don't even read the fvckin emails .... Deleted
 oddball72
Msg: 177
Posted: 11/21/2007 6:28:28 PM
This is a big thing for me. I practically dance in my seat when I read a profile that is well written. (I don't dance too often...) Seriously, read my profile. My father was on me all the time about spelling and grammar when I was growing up. I think a few posters mentioned someone not being able to further their education as a reason for using poor grammar and spelling. In my opinion, grammar and spelling are taught in our early education...not in college. I didn't go to college, but I speak and write very well. Maybe it's in my DNA, or maybe I just studied hard. I don't know. I just have a hard time getting past it, shallow or petty as it may be.
 obeythepug
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2007 7:13:04 PM
Pamperpooch000:
^^^^^^^^lmao, I've already admitted that my spelling is less than perfect, and I don't expect perfection from other people either, but theres a difference between being imperfect at grammar, and not even bothering to attempt it.

I agree completely. Grammar assists the reader to understand what is written. It is so much easier to read to when somebody uses punctuation. I am not looking to be the grammar police. I just don't want to struggle to understand what you have written. If you can't make the time to make your correspondence clear, then I am obviously not that important to you.

I am not a great speller or typist. I use Firefox as my browser; I have it check my spelling as I type.
 larcar50
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2007 8:03:11 PM
I wouldn't know about sex with an english teacher. But, let's hope we never get it right as contentment and satisfaction breeds stagnation.
 miss pisces
Msg: 180
Posted: 11/21/2007 8:06:20 PM
As long as they are intelligent and cordial, I wouldn’t necessarily dismiss somebody because of their poor spelling or grammar. I know many highly intelligent people, including one of my best friends from school, who can’t spell if their life depended on it. They’re all great people, just bad spellers.

It is, however, one of the first things that I notice, especially, since I work in publishing. In fact, most of my coworkers have admitted to correcting other people’s spelling and grammar outside of work. It has never occurred to me to do that. I wouldn’t want one of my friends or family members pointing out all my mistakes in spelling, math, or in my life.
 poly_p
Msg: 185
Posted: 11/22/2007 1:25:47 AM
I tend not to respond, unless it was an obvious typo and not a pattern of "speech." I even have it in my profile that you should only message me if you can spell. :) Harsh? Perhaps, but I suppose you need to use some tools to narrow things down. :)
 caroline1102
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2007 10:52:41 AM
To be quite honest here...most off the comments on this thread are very judgemental...how can you judge someone by their spelling abilitys and whether they type in txt talk......I write in txt talk when im texting some one simply because its quicker, doesnt take up too much room on your pages thus costing alot less!!! When I talk to someone on msn from my local area I will type as I talk which is broad scotish, But this does not mean I am thick!!! and do have an education...it means I am able to communicate with people as I would in person....I dont try to prettend im a snob the only time I would write to someone in proper english would be if i were applying for a job or writting a formal letter..........but it feels like that sometimes on here...being judged whether or not your good enough for the position based on you spelling and grammer. Its all bull shit!! lol

noo try n suss oot this wan, jist cause a dinae tipe proper engsh disnae make me thick, a kin dae both u ken....its wot thy caw type as u talk....ma opinion is it dis make u sound friendly...so there git it up use!!!!!
 *buzz*
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2007 12:53:00 PM
I would respond but not the way that my English teacher would be ashamed of me. She was (and still is) the biggest lover and fan of the proper/correct English, very strict, witty and unconventional in how she conducted her English lessons.
Still though when it comes to the pronunciation, I think that the beauty of the English language lies in bending the tongue. True or false?

P.S.
That might be my *Achilles heel* but I'm digressing.LOL
 Sligo930
Msg: 196
Posted: 11/22/2007 1:24:16 PM
At least you receive an email = what happen to just emailing a person who emailed you and say not interested but thanks anyhow. Is that acceptable or have good manners gone by the board.
 Rainsands
Msg: 200
Posted: 11/22/2007 4:17:06 PM
One of the coolest dudes I have ever met on this site is profoundly dyslexic....if I had ignored his emails and IM's because of his misspelled words and bad grammar, I would have lost the opportunity to learn from this awesome guy....
 sasyecat
Msg: 202
Posted: 11/22/2007 8:57:24 PM
I circle all the mistakes, then send it back with a big red F on it.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 205
Posted: 11/22/2007 11:20:55 PM

yes.....usually in spanish or german...................don't often hear back from 'em...go figure...

Mi espanol no bueno...para englese por favor...Muy calliente frauline ich bine ein wunder kind.
 strollinbella
Msg: 206
Posted: 11/23/2007 5:23:11 AM
I will check their profile, and if the poor grammar, etc., continues there, I will send them a polite thanks but no thanks email. While the occasional typing error is to be expected, the use of "u r," Im, their instead of they're, etc., is enough to make me pass the man by.

I have been doing crosswords and other word puzzles since the age of four, and acknowledge that I am an excellent speller. That is probably where my pickiness comes from.

Having a university-level education does not guarantee that you will have either good grammar or a good grasp of the English language. My sister edits Masters Theses for a living, along with the occasional paper that a professor is planning on either having published or presented at a conference. She is occasionally so shocked at their misuse of phrases, superlatives, etc., that she will read a few lines to me. It is amazing that some of these people have made it through 20 or more years of education and still can't put a sentence/paragraph/paper together properly.
 echo*
Msg: 208
Posted: 11/23/2007 11:19:51 AM
It's a major turn-off for me. It's not because I think they'll have trouble communicating. Instead, it makes me think they're stupid or lazy or both.
 eykwingnut11
Msg: 209
Posted: 11/23/2007 6:10:42 PM
i agree with the person on the first page of replies that said if its bad grammar then yes he will respond. if its misspelled words then no he will not. its called dictionary.com ppl... a lot of times i purposely do not use correct punctuation because i am in a hurry while im typing on the internet. this post, case point.
 OneBrazenGirl
Msg: 211
Posted: 11/23/2007 7:39:05 PM
solitarygal: kinda like when people don't know the difference between "then" and "than"??
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >