Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tiffyg72
Msg: 837
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 31 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)
I have big issues with people with bad grammar and misspelled words but oh well, not everyone is perfect. I mess up a few times myself. I think I might have ignored an email or two if they misspelled something awful. It is a turn off for sure. I've dated a guy that wasn't really good with his grammar and he didn't talk very well either as he used a word like "brung".... LOL I was like... "what am I doing with this guy???" Of course, that didn't last too long since he turned out to be a bad grammar player!
 MissEmpress
Msg: 838
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 8/19/2008 11:15:36 PM
A major thing that irks me though is when people deliberately spell words incorrectly due to teenage slang... even if the 'new word' is practically the same length as the correct version. You know:

"dat" instead of "that"
"hurd" instead of "heard"
"dunt" instead of "don't"
"n" instead of "and"
"wen" instead of "when"
"ur" instead of "your" or "you are"

That is annoying as hell and just immature. I am only 20 years old...and I guess I could get away with something like that but even I don't do that. I use certain slangs and internet language and I do use "u" and "ur" esp in text messages to decrease word length. But certain things that are purposely spelled wrong that are longer or the same length....pointless.

If you are a grown man or woman you need to put certain things behind you. People act like it is not a big deal and that people are being picky but your writing expresses your thoughts and is how you express and present yourself to people who are not meeting you face to face , so there is ALOT more emphasis on this skill online than in real life. In real life you may have your looks, charm, body language and you probably speak better than how you type. Online you don't have those things (maybe looks) so even if you are charming for e.g. you need to have a way with language in order to convey it or else your charm will not be evident.

Your typing/written word speaks volumes besides the obvious.
 tiffyg72
Msg: 839
Posted: 8/19/2008 11:16:30 PM
Wait.... that was suppose to be a PLAYER with BAD GRAMMAR. Shooooooot, I screwed up there - will you ignore me now?
 Chocolatebrowne
Msg: 841
Posted: 8/20/2008 12:56:50 PM
It bothers me, also. Back in "olden days", we were embarassed if we were illiterate. Now, people seem to wear their illiteracy like a badge of honor.....
 Gunhappy
Msg: 842
Posted: 8/20/2008 2:35:47 PM
to: aperfectlifeforme

NO! You are not being too picky. It is my experience that a person writes as he speaks. On one occasion, the guy wrote very well, extremely well, but spoke like a backwoods hillbilly.

All people should have deal-breakers; what you can and cannot deal with. My dealbreakers are:

1) table manners
2) grammar and spelling (ie: education)
NOTE: just because a person is educated does not mean that they use good grammar. If they are educated and don't then they are considered "ignorant" in my book.

3) Alcohol dependency

These are things that I have standards by which I live..and date. These three things are unacceptable with me, and therefore, I would reply with a polite "no thankyou". If they continue to email you, at that time it is perfectly "ok" to ignore the email and not reply.
 Gunhappy
Msg: 843
Posted: 8/20/2008 2:41:11 PM
To srmc1982:

I have a guy that you might like. This is what's on his profile.

"Like gone to work. Like eatin out. Seen all I want to see of drama. Like for whillin in woods. "

There ya' go. A real, prize catch, don't you think ??? Sometimes, of course, we all make "typeOs", but come on. I seen it ??? I done it?? I knowed it ?? Please. There's nothing picky about passing up a profile like that; especially if you are semi-educated adult.
 Gunhappy
Msg: 844
Posted: 8/20/2008 2:47:39 PM
Typos do not bother me; that's a mistake in something that you are unaware of; or at least you do know better.

Bad grammar is a whole new ballgame. Those of you that are educated adults and speak intelligently, yet don't want to judge someone (and give them a chance)..you'll soon find out that over a period of time it will drive you nuts. You will constantly be correcting them, because good grammar is important to you, or you wouldn't use it yourself.
 canter_at_k
Msg: 846
Posted: 8/20/2008 4:33:49 PM
I completely agree that bad grammer and poor spelling is a turn off. People don't realize, or don't care, that what they write gives you a first impression of who they are. Haven't they ever heard that its a good idea to make a good first impression! I can't stand the text-message style of all lower case and abbreviated words either. I want someone with a brain. Not someone who is either illiterate or too lazy to write correctly.
 FortyFine44122
Msg: 847
Posted: 8/20/2008 6:24:19 PM

Just tell me how good do you speak my language ?
Why do they have to speak your language? Are they gonna live outside the USA?

I don't think this is an arrogance. The more you read books - the better you are in any language....or maybe forums might help as well
 SugarKisses38
Msg: 848
Posted: 8/20/2008 10:04:00 PM
I'm with you Chee Tera!
 Dancing Gem
Msg: 849
Posted: 8/20/2008 10:47:39 PM
Well. I have a master's, no 2 masters degrees, and I still make typos.
It's hard on this site, as when you write the profile, if you do not type fast, you will get timed out.
So, its .. hard to answer your Q.

If the content of the profile seems to indicate that there is an educated , open mined, funny person out there , with some views in common with you, but he made up to 3 typos, then I would reply and ask to chat.

You can tell if the bloak is a dummy more by speaking than by e mailiong anyway.
If someone omits an apostrope and it annoys you, Well thats pompousity..lol

If subject and verb do not match, I won't anwser.

" I isnt too good at reading them books on metapysiks, but your a hottie"

No, do not reply.

If a man asks for more phots, also I would not reply.
 Dancing Gem
Msg: 850
Posted: 8/20/2008 10:49:00 PM
Well. I have a master's, no 2 masters degrees, and I still make typos.
It's hard on this site, as when you write the profile, if you do not type fast, you will get timed out.
So, its .. hard to answer your Q.

If the content of the profile seems to indicate that there is an educated , open mined, funny person out there , with some views in common with you, but he made up to 3 typos, then I would reply and ask to chat.

You can tell if the bloak is a dummy more by speaking than by e mailiong anyway.
If someone omits an apostrope and it annoys you, Well thats pompousity..lol

If subject and verb do not match, I won't anwser.

" I isnt too good at reading them books on metapysiks, but your a hottie"

No, do not reply.

If a man asks for more phots, also I would not reply.
 str8ahd
Msg: 851
Posted: 8/20/2008 11:03:46 PM
^^^^ OMG, please get sober & proof read your profile. You will forgive up to 3 typo's???

I'm going way, way out on a limb here & guessing neither of your masters degreees is in anything resembling English.
 Gunhappy
Msg: 853
Posted: 8/21/2008 7:12:09 AM
To annasthasia:

Judge this:

I seen it comin, I knowed it was gonna happen, the son b____ blowed up. Hmmm. Leaves much to be desired in my book. Judging too harshly? Come on. If a person doesn't "care" how he speaks (or writes) then he's ignorant and that's that. You, being the intelligent person that you are, should be the first to admit that.
 Re-animator
Msg: 856
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 4:17:42 AM
As of 2008, there are grammar check and spell check programs readily available FOR FREE in a multitude of places online. People who aren't able to spell or use correct grammar, who do not make use of those programs, are either: 1. Lazy, or 2. Just don't give a sh!t. I prefer not to date women with either of those characteristics. On the other hand, if she's smokin' hot, well, rules are made to be broken.
 bmoviejunkie2
Msg: 857
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:34:57 AM
I prefer a smart woman, and part of being smart is to be able to write and speak properly. Because of that, I can learn a fair amount about a person by simply reading their emails.

Now if a woman is from another country and learning English that is different and I can cut that person some slack. The occasional typo is also alright, but poor grammar and slang/ebonics can be a turnoff.
 gxa
Msg: 858
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:56:33 AM
More fascism from the anal-typical. Some say language is like law. Or is solid, without change, or room for interpretation. These poeple need to travel more. I think Language is Ethereal. What if we spoke sign language? I read typical sign language perveys 1/3 of the complete message accurately. (on average).

I feel language limits people by the freedom those in the social groups accept alterations to its structure. (and by the means it allows one to expres them selves).
And C-speak / txting? Modifications based on technology being too lousy to handle really data transition produced low bandwith communication structure.

And there are the Left handed folks like myself who have trouble spelling words even if theyre right in front of them.

But yo, if you too damn dumb to just read a mesage, then hellz, who whats ya anyhow?
 amberzamber
Msg: 859
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:22:40 AM
Some of the most kind, wonderful people I've met can't type to save their lives....Those of you who would dismiss someone based on TYPED grammar etc, should keep right on doing that! You save those of us who screw up a lot, from wasting our time meeting you....

Have you forgotten that email etc is a TYPING skill and not a window of a person's intelligence?…it may simply mean they aren’t on the computer much and can’t type….So are we going to start asking people who email us what their Excel & Windows skills are so we can knock them off the list? How about an algebra quiz before we meet?

I knew a woman who slept with every single guy she went out with (and at the time I met her that number got to be around 56) and she also cheated on her husband for the first three years of their marriage with his beast friend, (all stuff I found out after we started hanging out) she was extremely over weight, and had zero self-esteem (DUH) yet she would dismiss and delete emails based in ‘i” instead of “I”….it’s one thing to not care for the ‘WAY’ someone expresses themselves, but to be a grammar snob? Well most everyone I’ve met who does that, does it because it’s one thing they have that makes them feel superior to other people when they have nothing else going for them….….

Personally I should have posted this message before putting it into Word, because I had about 15 misspelled words....In fact I may have just misspelled the word 'misspelled' but do I give a crap? LOL
 EagleEric
Msg: 861
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:39:33 AM
Your grammar, syntax, and punctuation ain't too hot either. I'd bet your spelling isn't perfect.

In any case, I don't care to associate with morons, and I have found that women (and men) who can't write simple correct sentences usually fall into the stupid category.

The Eagle
 1cute1
Msg: 862
Posted: 8/22/2008 8:30:32 AM
I've won many spelling bee awards, was an honor student, made dean's list, and I would still take a good heart over a good speller any day! We give what's in our hearts. Who cares how we spell it!?! It's no wonder some of you can't find anyone on POF. You need to go hang out at the library or some place where the "smart" people hang out. lol
 amberzamber
Msg: 863
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:46:07 PM
Ahhhh the arrogance continues for some….almost every person I’ve met who can’t type were still very intelligent, (Once again, we’re not talking about being able to form a very well structured sentence in person, this is a TYPING or COMPUTER skills issue) however every person I’ve met who judges people on this so ridiculously, have 100% been self-righteous in most every aspect of their lives….

itsmekenny
Msg: 864
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:54:16 PM
anybody can have a bad day, or a bad week, or a bad month. and that includes doing something as simple as typing a message. don't be so picky about it.

kenny
 Violet Tigress
Msg: 865
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:58:08 PM
Inability to type something as simple as "How are you?" when contacting a stranger for the first time is just half assed & lazy. Other errors could very well just be typos.
 PickMe_PickMe
Msg: 866
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:10:57 PM
I try to take into account if perhaps English is a second language for them.
I don't not reply but I do tell them they are not my type. Because they aren't.
Really I have learned that someone who can not spell to a grade 6 level has very little to say to me that I will find interesting. If that is mean I'm sorry. If you are looking for someone to spend time with you have to be able to talk to them and you want to have some admiration or respect for them as well.
 mrmyrtle1975
Msg: 867
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2008 7:19:49 PM
I find it funny how bad the grammer and spelling is of some of the people that say they would not respond to a poorly written email.

When I email somebody my current mood shows. If I am in a rush and good mood and scatter brained I might just blast out my feelings and thoughts and never proof read it and hit send.

If I have time I might proof read it and fix things. I think some people are way to hard too please.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >