Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SweetSmartNSassy2
Msg: 955
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 35 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)
A lot of men are poor spellers, but that doesn't mean they aren't quality guys. If, however, the entire e-mail is nothing but misspellings and horrible grammar, I'll usually delete or send a "thanks but no thanks" reply. With spell check and old-time dictionaries available, there's no good reason to send poorly spelled missives.

As for usage - "their" instead of "there" or "they're, " "your" when "you're " is correct - that's plain sloppiness on their parts. Yes, English is a confusing language but if it's your first language, you should know the difference between words. I've received e-mails from college graduates with these minor mistakes and all turned out to be terrific men.

Sometimes it's pathetic. I was contacted by a man on another site and when I read his profile, I wanted to cry for him. It screamed of loneliness and longing for a person in his life. He ended it with: "I just want a frend......"

I also cringe when I get an e-mail where "u" is substitued for "you" and 'r" for "are." Plain laziness and that's a huge turn-off!
 trish7
Msg: 956
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:42:43 AM
For all of us typists out there, there are also people who use the "hunt and peck" method. I can type 90 wpm with the rare error, so it's a breeze for me to correspond. However, I've yet to program a computer and would loathe for someone to think less of me because of it.
 dancing/shoes
Msg: 957
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:45:35 AM
What rubbish to judge someone on spelling, but if thats Your standard stay narrowminded you will limit some wonderfull people you'll never know, based on typing, so what, yes i could see if someone wrote in a horrible fashion that Could be a potential problem and the key word being COULD. I Speak Read And Write in 3 languages(though not fluent in the other 2, more #2 than# 3 being Spanish, English being my Mother tongue. Speaking is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more Important than Writing thats the whole Worlds base for communication, always period! And im a avid reader, in fact i hate the style of most of the books i read because people over do Words with no meaning and say too much of the same thing over and over agin in there books- But in person they may or may not speak real well
 carnal-sins
Msg: 958
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:49:19 AM
As long as it isn't the majority of the message and they have something interesting or intelligent to say and they aren't rude, I'll respond. I know, there's typos out there, but if you spell like an uneducated hick, I'm not going to respond. If it's a "u r so hot" or a "hi whats up?" I won't respond to the "u r so hot" emails, because if you can't bother to put it in a real sentence, then I can't bother to respond. (And, I'd much rather be pretty than hot!) ;) If it's a "hi what's up?" I will look at their profile and determine if it was just a quick message or they just don't care about first impressions. I for one do, because that is the impression someone will always have of you. Better to make a good first impression than an indifferent one.

<3Tila.
 CalamityJanie
Msg: 959
Posted: 9/30/2008 10:00:21 AM
If they are obviously from a foreign land, I ask them to have someone with whom they are close who speaks/reads/writes English review their profile and edit before going any further. BUT, the obvious illiterate person gets a reply indicating that I am an English-buff. How their profile actually translates to me is we'd have very little in common anyway.
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 961
Posted: 9/30/2008 10:14:44 AM
I not only can't understand why someone would send an email that sounds like a second grader wrote it, but why do they post on the forums if they don't know how to spell? Bad grammar drives me crazy. Don't people realize that it makes them look stupid? Or maybe some people don't care if they look stupid, they use laziness as an excuse to say others are shallow. The people that can't use capital letters for I or at the begining of a sentence ughhhhhh. "i seen" instead of I saw, I "left" you instead of I let you, and other obvious English errors just shows that the person is stupid and doesn't care about how they represent themselves!

There are so many programs out there that can help them, why aren't they using them???
 mydoggie
Msg: 962
Posted: 9/30/2008 12:24:36 PM
Communication is important. If someone can't put words together, then there's a big problem.
 lil red corvette
Msg: 963
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2008 12:30:50 PM
Geuss Id bee anoyed too.. :)
 tiegekitty
Msg: 964
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2008 12:51:54 PM
Sometimes we just like to amuse, for amusing sake. People read in shapes, not letters...we can juxtaspose all we like and be textually luscious, bottom line....shapes.
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 965
Posted: 9/30/2008 1:03:13 PM
I amn't picky about others' grammars and spellings. I am picky about myself of learning good English as it's my second language. If someone isn't capable of teaching me more than what I have, why do I bother to talk to him?
 Validar
Msg: 966
Posted: 9/30/2008 1:53:42 PM
How sad it is when one is labeled "superficial" for expressing a desire to communicate with those who possess some semblance of an education. When I see messages and posts from adults with dozens of fourth grade level words misspelled, it is both alarming and sad.

I suppose we should keep things dumbed down so no one feels inferior rather than encourage them to actually do something about it. After all, knowledge isn't power. It's the enemy, isn't it?

I also find it amusing for those on the opposing side of this issue to speak of shallowness.

Such a fool I am for not seeing the infinite depth in ignorance.
 Karma ll
Msg: 967
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2008 3:39:09 PM
there are such bigger problems to worry about--most of mine are typo's because I get ahead of myself or try to shorten something---I think we all do it, and its not a big deal--If I am speaking face to face with someone poor grammar does bother me some what-but again, don't judge someone for something so small--maybe they are trying to do better, I think that is a great embarrassment to someone that has had problems learning or even cannot read or write------life to way too short to worry about the small stuff----jmo----------and please don't go thru checking my errors-----lol
 conchchowder
Msg: 968
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2008 3:44:03 PM
A typo is one thing...dropping out after the fifth-grade is another. I want my brain fed by my partner, and I will do the same in return. Their match is out there and I wish them the best.
 FishOwl
Msg: 969
Posted: 9/30/2008 3:58:20 PM
Depends. Sometimes it is evident that the person's native is not English, so I will allow a lot of leeway. I am learning Spanidh so I know the difficulties of using a different language. If the native language IS English and there is no medical impairment, that is a different story. I learned it, they can, too.

Does sloppy English mean that they are sloppy thinkers generally or that they just don't care to take the time for me?

Not just misspellings and/or bad grammar - lack of capitalization and no concept of what a paragraph is or why they are used. Misuse of "your/your're," "their/their/they're" and many more. I don't mean the obvious ossasional typo.

Verbal sludge. Anyone doesn't like that, too bad.
 FishOwl
Msg: 970
Posted: 9/30/2008 4:25:15 PM
"... but I guess that due to his problems with spelling I can expect that he will never find a partner, such is life!"

Possibly, possibly not. aangel, I used to read a lot of science fiction. One of the best sf writers was, and possibly still is, Roger Zelazney. He is dislexic.

Anyone who fails to see his grand qualities simply because of his dislexia is not worth his time. Perfection seekers, those wrapped up in themselves, tend to make very small packages.

Was I being critical? I hope so.

The best.
 dancing/shoes
Msg: 971
Posted: 9/30/2008 4:52:00 PM
Well i disagree with the say last 8 posts, ya all still miss the major point-That is someone CAN be a great speaker but a lousy writer,most of what you ladies wrote i know ya all aint telling it straight up with your so called rules. For example if you found out a guy on here was a bit poor in his writing But was rich and really good looking you all would change your mind in a instant. Were not talkng here about someone who is very educated and someone who is from the streets with Bad manners and a foul mouth , that This combo would make a good match etc.... l'amore viene e se ne va but even more so to the rigid/frigid-linear robots , Wordsmiths of what? Grammer.
 Validar
Msg: 972
Posted: 9/30/2008 5:54:39 PM

Well i disagree with the say last 8 posts, ya all still miss the major point-That is someone CAN be a great speaker but a lousy writer

I'm aware this could be true. However, if you're someone who opts to communicate with others through "writing", wouldn't it be in your best interest to do it well? (especially if you're looking to make a POSITIVE impression) We can't very well SEE great speaking skills.

What we write and how we write it is a representation of ourselves whether we like it or not. So, why should one choose not to better themself when they may be perfectly capable of doing so?

To me, choosing not to says "I don't care", which would only cause me to question what else they may not care about.
 anthonyjonathan
Msg: 973
Posted: 9/30/2008 6:09:15 PM
If a person cannot communicate very well in type written form it can be a sign of their intellect. That being said, filling the role of grammar and spelling police is bit over the top. I consider myself to be a reasonably intelligent person and recognize my poor typing skills. Unfortunately we all make mistakes. I once had a woman correct me on the use of the word " effect" I accidentally used "affect". Her demeanor was one of smug superiority. Big turn off.
I expect an occasional grammatical error or typo. We all should.

I will admit, when I see a profile that says

"Hi i am a funny lady. I lkes to take walkz on da beaches. I am purty smart. and I love to hangout withmyfriens and go git dinner."
I might not respond.
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 974
Posted: 9/30/2008 6:33:30 PM

I once had a woman correct me on the use of the word " effect" I accidentally used "affect". Her demeanor was one of smug superiority. Big turn off.

If someone could correct my grammars and/or spellings, it would be a big "turn-on"...
 leah12
Msg: 975
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 4:34:57 AM
If its simple words they mis-spell, then I have to admit it's a turn off. Unless it can be put down to keyboard errors!!!

Also, another turn off is the whole txt tk culture 2. Especially when done along with the whole common talk - innit, sumthing, want to cum over, u is lukin fine etc.

To be fair though. My best friend who has a degree is now the worst offender when it comes to text talk. When I've ever used it - and only ever in jest, it takes me twice as long to convert it!!!
 upstate-gal
Msg: 976
Posted: 10/1/2008 4:57:20 AM
When I read (or try to read) the first sentence and I cannot make out what the author is trying to say...I don't read further. I usually just ignore the message. If it is an email, I don't respond. If it is a posting here on the forums, I just skip over it.

Like it or not, being able to communicate effectively is a base-line requirement in society. This is a dating site....meaning; we all want to meet someone that we have a chance to be in a serious relationship. If the person cannot communicate (or worse..will not!) then it is a clear indication of lack of compatibility.

I love the idea of writing back in a foreign language...I am going to do that in the future.
 KLSpang
Msg: 977
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2008 7:42:41 AM
I tend not to respond. For me it's indicative of their education, or whether or not they even care about the impression they make. I mean, really, how hard is it to spell check?! Every computer has that capability! I basically put it in the same category as a language barrier.
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 978
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:33:20 AM
KLSpang, Good for you! You are very young, but you have good insights about education, communication skill, and popular capability to use the computer. Some people don't care about these but complain about others. When one lacks the basic knowledge, what else can he attract a woman?
 txborn007
Msg: 979
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:38:31 AM
It is a huge turn-off for me. I let it slide once, and actually dated a guy for a month that couldn't spell, and that was how he communicated. Of course then I found he like spoking pot on a regular basis. DUH!! No brain cells left. I'm so bad, when I text, I spell everything out.
 Janet4ever
Msg: 980
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:40:09 AM

I tend not to respond. For me it's indicative of their education, or whether or not they even care about the impression they make.

and that's the problem I see with online dating.

The first impression should be the "person" and on here, it's not set up that way.

Spelling is NOT NECESSARILY an indication of education. I know many successful, college grads that can't spell very well but are brilliant in other areas of their lives and have excelled...

and me, on the other hand, spell pretty good but have zippo formal education.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >