Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MrRight351
Msg: 915
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 37 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)
Not only do I respond, I let them know what they misspelled !
I try to be tactfull about it but it actually pisses me off.
I saw one womans profile that said she was very " inteligint".
She also misspelled compassionate , energetic , you're , beach
and 7 other words. I'm surprized she spelled her name right.
This is not uncommon , I see it alot.
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 916
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 9/28/2008 12:48:28 PM
I read this once: "well I had the same experence with them just try to fine where to cancell your membership but I called my bank and told them that it was not and authoried purchase and that toke care of it"

Everything inside the quotation marks is a direct copy/quote, including the lack of any periods in the run-on sentence. It's painful to read. So if I got that from a woman, would I respond? Why?? Would I date her? Would you date her?

Our education system sure does suck.
 Steel Phoenix
Msg: 917
Posted: 9/28/2008 12:58:41 PM
I absolutely will respond to them. I am more interested in them as a person than their writing ability.
 Mostly_Angel
Msg: 918
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:05:58 PM
I will respond, but unless I see something in their profile that really intrigues me I will let them know that I don't feel we have much in common. I place a high value on education and I'm looking for someone that feels the same way.
 Teddi bear-me
Msg: 919
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:11:18 PM
I would have to give people a chance -no one is perfect,therefore a few spelling mistakes can be overwritten -
 waterviewtoo
Msg: 920
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:17:22 PM
I'm not going to read all these posts as the few I skimmed just made me feel bad.

Let me instead offer this, Cher, Disney, Steven Jobs, Edison, Patton, Nelson Rockefeller, Richard Branson, Sir Winston Churchill, Scott Adams, Bell, Henry Ford, and Whoopie along with millions of others have dyslexia.

Good thing Jefferson, Einstein and Kennedy didn't have to look here for friendship and dates.
 sparklyshell
Msg: 921
Posted: 9/28/2008 1:21:12 PM
If it is obvious the spelling or grammar mistakes were typos or just little mistakes I will still reply.

However, if you sent me a 'msg dat luked lyk dis'? NO. No reply for you. Ever.

I loathe bad spelling and grammar in general though. If your message resembles something a drunk four year old Llama could write better then don't hope for a reply from me anytime soon!
 lestergass
Msg: 922
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:11:41 PM
man, 37 pages of this stuff, & silly me mentioned spelling in my profile. here's my two cents worth. guys that have worked with their (pretty sure thats the right their) hands their entire lives don't have a lot of experience spelling words they have been using their whole lives. the purpose of speaking or writing, is to communicate, if that is accomplished, the rest of the rules & regulations is bull...t to me. having said that, i would say punctuation is more important than spelling, because that tells the reader more about how the text is meant to read than any of that i before e stuff. but, i still use spellcheck so i don't look like a moron. i tend to use a lot of lottas, kindas, & gonna, 'cause that more closely resembles speech to me. not using caps seems more informal, plus it's on less key to hunt for. being as the whole computer thing is new to me ,(typing too) this thread (new word i just learned) has helped. maybe i'll reconsider the "gonna" & caps thing.
 lestergass
Msg: 923
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:16:40 PM
damn, i misspelled one & left out a comma.
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 924
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:25:07 PM

A financially successful charismatic street smart man who emails misspelled words and bad grammar is very Sexy to me....

So sexy and unique!!! Wish he would understand that 100000000 is eight zeros behind 1...
 cooladrenalin
Msg: 925
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:39:56 PM
No, you are not being too critical, all caps turns me off as well.
 returningoftheprodigal
Msg: 926
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:40:31 PM
It depends on the circumstances in my opinion. Some of the people who contact me do not have English as their first language. If this is the case I am usually flattered that they would even try to communicate with me in my language. It would be easier for them to just move on to the next profile and ignore me. I actually find the cute little mistakes that people who are not typing in their native tongue make to be quite charming and sometimes even sexy.

Also, one should not equate grammer and spelling with inherent intelligence. There are seven types of intelligence and very few of us have all of them. Someone who many not write well might be brilliant at dealing with electronics, have extraordinary althletic ability, be musically gifted, etc. Sometimes the content of the message is more important than how it is structured. That having been said, there is such a thing as spell checker and maybe people who know their written communication skills are not top notch should make more use of that before messaging others or posting on forums. It can leave a bad first impression to submit a post or send a message where even the simpliest words are misspelled and the contextual format is so wrong that it is nearly impossible to decipher what the person is saying.

In the end it comes down to personal choice. If proper grammer is important to you then maybe texting with someone that cannot spell or form a coherent sentence is not right for you.
 Jac Biker Gal
Msg: 927
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 3:50:54 PM
I find bad grammer irritates me slightly more than mis-spelling and I do allow for a few mis-spelt words or typos, but if their message is riddled with them and bad grammer then I think it is a fair indication that they maybe not be very intelligent and I have to say for me I want someone I can converse with, I like and enjoy using the English language and can't stand the laziness of not using it properly, the only acceptable time for that is in text or IMs. So if their message is poor English or lots of text speak I tell them sorry I'm not interested, but I don't usually read/delete because I consider that rude, I think everyone is entitled to a reply if they have made the effort to message me in the first place, even if it's just no thanks.
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 928
Posted: 9/28/2008 4:27:51 PM

one should not equate grammer and spelling with inherent intelligence

But one's grammer and spelling level should equate with his education level.
 Mostly_Angel
Msg: 929
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 5:17:27 PM
Actually, if someone claims to have a graduate level education, is native to the US, but can't seem to spell or put a sentence together using correct grammar, I assume they've posted a bogus profile.
 cashu
Msg: 931
Posted: 9/28/2008 5:48:44 PM
sorry i,ll go jump off a cliff right now . i feel so bad. but not so bad that i,m going to capitilize the first letter in every sentence . o well
 returningoftheprodigal
Msg: 932
Posted: 9/29/2008 1:47:20 AM
Not necessarily if they were educated in a country whose standards are not the same as ours. I have three degrees by the way and have met some formally educated individuals who are book smart but have absolutely no common sense. Do not equate book learning with success since some very successful people have succeeded without benefit of continuing education. Intelligence is not learned, it is an inherent trait present at birth. Of course, some waste it by refusing to do anything with it while others make the most of it but it would be wrong to assume that just because you have not made written communication a priority in your life that you are lacking in intelligence.
Posted: 9/29/2008 2:02:17 AM
If there is a homeless guy and he isin't super hot should I give him a dollar?? its kinda like that, unless you realy think it's important because your career and lively hood depends on how your b/f writes and talks. I dont know maybe it's importnat to some people but, personally I think there are worst things to worry about
 shopgirl1952
Msg: 934
Posted: 9/29/2008 2:02:54 AM
NO that drives me insane
 blackheartedwoman
Msg: 935
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:12:46 AM
Absolutely not. I can handle no punctuation or capitalizations, but if he is just texting me through email or IM...I don't have an interest in that type of relationship. I would like to know that we can have a conversation without needing the texter's dictionary to decipher half (if not all) of the conversation. I am serious. We all know how to read and recheck our spelling before we hit the send button. Even during the IM's you don't have to send right away. Take the time to spellcheck and then send. Accidentally mixing a couple letters up is one thing but IMO TXT is LAZY and mizspll thinz on pirpis is evn worse.

If you think I was worth the time to email. I would expect I am worth the extra effort of spell check.
 vrb1955
Msg: 936
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:40:13 AM
We all make mistakes Even the over educated who don't have a lick of common sense types. Text messaging has become so popular that people have relaxed their writing skills.

If you want to express an interest in someone keep the Webster's on hand or learn to use spell check
 Knittin Kitten
Msg: 937
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 4:41:11 AM
I sure am happy to see that so many of you feel the way I do about this....You can imagine what it does to me...an EDITOR.....I actually cringe. I try to be understanding, as several of you have mentioned....English as a second language is difficult...sometimes even as a FIRST language. Text talk is LAZY.....

I send out too many " Thanks, but no thanks....I don't see where we have enough in common to begin exploring a relationship." A few errors here and there, but I agree with the posters who mentioned that spell check is always nearby and people only have ONE opportunity to make a FIRST impression.

However, I must admit that it goes a long way in assisting me to find the foreign scammers...(may they never get smart enough to remove all their obvious errors).
Again, if they have stated that they are a "Native American"???? and have a Graduate Degree, I expect, at least, the ability to converse in readable English, and/or the intelligence to have their writing translated..... Personally, I don't think they KNOW what a real "Native American" is. It's definitely not, born in Italy and raised in England...

I don't see any little red lines in here, so I guess I've corrected all my errors....Even as an Editor, I'm not perfect! But, then again, at MY age, I only have to be an 8...10 is not necessary anymore.

Fondly,

KNITTIN KITTEN
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 938
Posted: 9/29/2008 10:53:17 AM
I do care about the first message that someone sent to me. The interesting thing is that many men send out a very simple message constructed by a few sentences that include bad grammars and misspellings. I never suffer reading this kind of messages, deleting them is the best thing I like to do.
 kychas
Msg: 939
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2008 6:17:31 PM
Some persons do not have a lot to say, or my not wish to "go on" with the subject for a full paragraph to get the point across. If you limit the ones that you will respond to by first judging them from a few words in a message in the forums or a first contact email massage then you may be limiting your contacts to those who are very good a typing and not much else.
 chesher 38
Msg: 940
Posted: 9/29/2008 6:30:53 PM
A Beautiful Russian Gal writes to me all the time and she sends really great Photos too!!!

Her Spelling is 100% PERFECT !!! She just has NO CLUES how english is spoken, so even though her spelling is PERFECT, I have NO CLUES as to weather she wishes to screw me to death, or she wants me to show her the town...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >