Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abelian
Msg: 1035
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 38 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)

Spelling is NOT NECESSARILY an indication of education. I know many successful, college grads that can't spell very well but are brilliant in other areas of their lives and have excelled...

Education is not the same thing as having gone to school.
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 1036
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 10/12/2008 10:35:18 AM
The ability to spell things correctly (yup, ly should be there... ) is different than knowing how to check your spelling. It is just laziness. If you want to represent yourself as lazy, go ahead. Grammar is different, it isn't as easy to check grammar on computers. You have to have some knowledge of the basic rules. But I hate when people use let for leave, seen when they should use saw or have seen, etc. Some people act like they are bragging when they use poor English. I don't understand why they are so proud of themselves. It is like fingernails on a chalk board.

Why are people getting so lazy that they can't type out the word two? It is only two more characters to type than 2. Or the word for is being replaced with 4. I often think these people think that they are all that because they know text write, but really, it is just laziness. Again, they are representing themselves as lazy.

Sum is being used instead of some. There is being used for they're and their. If you can't take the seconds necessary to use the correct verbiage, I can't imagine what being with you would be like. Small things do indicate a bigger picture.

I just see so much laziness on here.
 KFlower
Msg: 1037
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2008 2:41:51 PM
Well some things I would suppose that you can disreguard...However when people start talking with R instead of "are" and RU instead of "are you" it gets to be a bit annoying. Also, if you are trying to put your best foot forward then perhaps taking advantage of the spell check button if you are bad at spelling might be a great idea?
 flowerchild66
Msg: 1038
Posted: 10/12/2008 2:57:52 PM
Renaissance Man-The verb I believe you're looking for is "punctuate" as "punctualize" doesn't exist in the English language.

From a "union thug" public school teacher
 Mostly_Angel
Msg: 1040
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2008 3:11:27 PM
fc66-a small portion of my faith in the public education system is now restored. I do think it's sad that many make it to college without learning basic spelling and grammatical skills though...
 flowerchild66
Msg: 1041
Posted: 10/12/2008 3:13:42 PM
I agree, ChaoticBeautiness...it's not so much the random typo or even two or three, it's just the idea that someone looking to make a good impression won't make the extra effort to proofread. Some of what I've seen written in profiles and mail is close to illegible, and if the writer acknowledges writing is not his or her strength, that person should take an extra moment to write it in a word processing document which has spell and grammar check, then cut and paste it here. This would take an extra two minutes tops.

Laziness in this area, in which we would assume one is motivated to make a great impression, leads me to believe laziness would extend to other areas of the person's life. That's an unattractive prospect. It's like a guy showing up for a date unkempt because he couldn't be bothered to make the effort clean up.
 Larissan04
Msg: 1042
Posted: 10/12/2008 5:35:05 PM
spelling and punctuation.... hmmm... this doesn't bother me... i mean, i am a lazy typer and refuse to capitalize but i know the rules of capitalization. a lot of times misspelling is the result of a typo, which is fine. i can also understand if someone is trying to use a certain rule of spelling but makes the mistake because it isn't used for a certain word...etc. at least in such a case i can follow the logic. however, if someone spells a word way way off i immediately think the person is not all that bright... if it turns out that the person does not speak english as a first language, well, they get a pass from me 100%. (i probably sound like a 2nd grader when i speak spanish so...)

the thing that REALLY bothers me is when there is no noun and verb agreement. if someone says, "it don't," or "it broke" et. al. that really bothers me. i just can't get beyond that.

i am an english major what can i say?

lar
 Renaissance Man 1950
Msg: 1043
Posted: 10/12/2008 6:07:33 PM
Renaissance Man-The verb I believe you're looking for is "punctuate" as "punctualize" doesn't exist in the English language.

Quite so. Thank you for coming off the picket line long enough to correct me.

In terms of this topic, those who are parents, have a responsibility to teach their children, rather than abdicating responsibility. I taught both my daughters to read, from McGuffy readers, when they were 4. They were always the best readers in their school. It also develops a love for reading. Those who love to read, tend to be reasonably good spellers, and have a familiarity with basic grammar.

Of course, no one is "perfect", and we all make mistakes. One of mine was pointed out. However, I have seen too many examples of the "product" of the public school system, with people who are clueless, when it comes to homophones. (e.g. I went two the store too get to things).

The same would apply to basic arithmetic. Depending on the day of the week, the latest whacko theory in the public schools may, or may not, be supportive of teaching the basic concepts of arithmetic. In many schools, even when the teachers aren't on strike, they no longer encourage the use of multiplication tables.

In other words, IMO, the reason that poor spelling and grammar is so prevalent, stems from the public school system. Those who send their kids off to school, expecting that their children will learn without parental involvement, end up with illiterate children.
 Cuisinarte67
Msg: 1044
Posted: 10/12/2008 6:15:42 PM
What bothers me most is that most web-browsers have built in spell checkers.

No excuses.
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 1045
Posted: 10/12/2008 7:16:20 PM

it broke
What is the matter with that sentence? It broke. Noun and verb. It can break, it did break, and it broke, all seem fine to me. I am broke. He is broke. But I really hate it when I am broken. I hear ya saying, "please just give it a break."
 StealingPrinceCharming
Msg: 1046
Posted: 10/13/2008 8:57:13 PM
Someone sent me a message and told me "many people here ly on their profiles", "you should get not upset", and "amn't not normal" because I told him that "I amn't interested in talking with him". Yes, "amn't" isn't normal because English tends to dislike the nasal consonants /m/ and /n/ together, and standard English uses "I'm not" and "am I not?" or "aren't I?" in place of "I amn't" and "amn't I?". His comment about "amn't not normal" is somewhat correct. I tried to thank him, but he blocked me
 Dempcey
Msg: 1047
Posted: 10/13/2008 9:04:43 PM

I know I shouldn't be so picky about it;but, people who email me with very bad grammar and misspelled words turn me off. Is this an indication of how they communicate in person? Is this being too critical?
I feel the same way. To me it shows at least laziness. Not putting the best foot forward and yes I ignore these messages and will hit the big red X on the chat window of an IM.
 EasyRidin
Msg: 1050
Posted: 10/13/2008 9:32:04 PM
If it turns out the person is of a mental level that is childish, or has a personality I couldn't stand... I'll delete.

But it could be an illiterate person who might be a great individual. So again - I've said similar things on another email thread - I have to check the profile and maybe chat with the person.
 byebye baby
Msg: 1051
Posted: 10/13/2008 9:50:28 PM

I have responded to bad, terrible spellers, lol!! And made one of my best friends of him... funny too when alot of people seem to assume it has anything to do with income level.. education, maybe. But I agree it's lazy to not at least turn on spell check, AND proof read your stuff before sending.
Especially in an e-mail... I've caught myself making all kinds of spelling errors when I'm text messaging or IMing, but that's cause I'm trying to type to fast to keep up with my thoughts. I'm a fairly fast talker, so I dunno if thats why??

I do get tired of the B4 (before), 2day (today) IF the entire message is written in short form, a few words don't bother me...

But grammer.. well it depends on how many mistakes there are??
I've been told I write almost exactly as I speak.. don't know if that's a good thing or not................... So I'm saying for me personally, it's not a major deal breaker
 EasyRidin
Msg: 1052
Posted: 10/13/2008 10:09:50 PM

But grammer

Sorry to tell you but it's grammar...

(that was cute!)
 TheDirtyBen
Msg: 1053
Posted: 10/13/2008 11:14:57 PM
You'd think that I was taught by nuns, the way that I harp on spelling, grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, proper caps usage, and phonics. lol
The vast majority of my errors are due to my keyboard not liking me and not reciting that which I have typed.
But that is for ME and I'm a Virgo, which means that I can tend to be perfectionistic. On the flip side. I'm pretty forgiving of someone else's short-comings and try not to be Mr. Spellcheck.
 Validar
Msg: 1054
Posted: 10/13/2008 11:17:29 PM

In other words, IMO, the reason that poor spelling and grammar is so prevalent, stems from the public school system. Those who send their kids off to school, expecting that their children will learn without parental involvement, end up with illiterate children.

Exactly.

I went to a private school for ten years, and in the middle of my sophomore year, I decided to give public school a try to see what it was like.

I hate to sound harsh or critical, but it was like leaving college and going back to elementary school.

My youngest brother is the only one among my other siblings who never went to a private school, and he told me that when he was in high school, none of his teachers ever marked points off for incorrect spelling on the student's papers.

He said one teacher in particular refused to, and her reasoning was because it put a damper on the student's creativity.

Unbelievable.
 SteelWheels99
Msg: 1055
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2008 11:36:57 PM
This is one of my pet peeves, I hit delete as soon as i open one that is full of mispelled words and half arse attempts at a complete sentence. Now everyone has a missed mistake once in a while but not a sentence full.
 Dempcey
Msg: 1056
Posted: 10/13/2008 11:58:38 PM

How can them talking in person be the same as them typing or writing? I have 2 friends who have dyslexia, they can talk perfectly fine, yet neither can spell and neither have good grammar when it comes to writing in English.

I think that's shallow to throw someone aside just because of a dyslexic problem they have. That's my opinion, so if a lassie came across me and her spelling wasn't that great, or grammar? I'd acknowledge them
I would think your friends would learn to use Wrod which would help correct spelling and grammar or at least emplain to the person they were connecting of their condition. So I think again this is laziness and or a sign of not communicating well.
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 1058
Posted: 10/14/2008 12:02:30 PM
Now I am being driven nuts by over use of inappropriate punctuation! Why are people using commas in between sentences? Why are people typing,,,? Today I saw a post where someone used ... ??? etc. Don't there space bars work right, do they think it looks cool, or are they just being stupid?
 The rock man
Msg: 1059
Posted: 10/14/2008 12:11:30 PM

Why are people typing,,,?

I, don't know...! Have any, clues as to y,,,,,?

Don't there space bars work right, do they think it looks cool, or are they just being stupid?

Maybe your just being overly anal today. Just raising the bar from your usual!

But really who cares? I would do it just to tick the anal nuggets off. I post to have some fun, not to be critiqued by someone who thinks they are superior in some way!
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 1060
Posted: 10/14/2008 12:11:49 PM

Don't their space bars work right, do they think it looks cool, or are they just being stupid?
 CHAOTICBEAUTINESS
Msg: 1061
Posted: 10/14/2008 12:36:50 PM
Maybe your

you're
It shows that you don't care how you represent yourself in black and white.
It shows you seem to be intimidated by those that are intelligent and care that their posts are clear by means of utilizing the English language correctly.

OOOpps, I guess I was typing too fast and mispelt their and spelling check won't catch that. I am human and make mistakes. I admit it.
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 1062
Posted: 10/14/2008 12:41:09 PM

you're
It shows that you don't care how you represent yourself in black and white.
It shows you seem to be intimidated by those that are intelligent and care that their posts are clear by means of utilizing the English language correctly.

OOOpps, I guess I was typing too fast and mispelt their and spelling check won't catch that. I am human and make mistakes. I admit it.

^_^

Bolded part explains why this thread is stupid.
 lepota
Msg: 1063
Posted: 10/14/2008 12:58:06 PM
bad spelling and grammar....one of my personal pet peeves! if i can't decipher what it is they are trying to say in their message, i don't respond. i don't think it's being critical...it's called personal preference.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >