Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 larcar50
Msg: 179
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 4 of 54    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
I wouldn't know about sex with an english teacher. But, let's hope we never get it right as contentment and satisfaction breeds stagnation.
 miss pisces
Msg: 180
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 11/21/2007 8:06:20 PM
As long as they are intelligent and cordial, I wouldn’t necessarily dismiss somebody because of their poor spelling or grammar. I know many highly intelligent people, including one of my best friends from school, who can’t spell if their life depended on it. They’re all great people, just bad spellers.

It is, however, one of the first things that I notice, especially, since I work in publishing. In fact, most of my coworkers have admitted to correcting other people’s spelling and grammar outside of work. It has never occurred to me to do that. I wouldn’t want one of my friends or family members pointing out all my mistakes in spelling, math, or in my life.
 howbigisyourlove
Msg: 182
Posted: 11/21/2007 11:54:04 PM
Dear nortatem..... see the difference between Stephen King and well let's just callem .. ah others... is .. he uses his brain to think and ah "others " are utilizing their brains as spell checkers ...and poor poor Steven ... up there with ah what's her name yah Tabitha.,.. her writing kinda sucks if yah ask me ... well they are up there on the hill in Maine looking over their kingdom... and us sorry ass losers are arguing whether a spell checker is worth a game of chest ....
Nortatem .. you are so right and right on .. ... I hate critical people cept me .. okay and maybe you ...
Now Gwendolyn is gonnah think I am coming onto yah>??? Can you bring your spell checker to my dilapidated housing unit I need a recall and a price check on a specific item.. in isle number ah ah .. 69 ...???? hahah life is good till someone seizes yah...
Oh yah PS and this is to Gwendolyn, okay the rest of yah can read it , no secrets here on plenty of bs... .. you sound deliberate in your delivery to me ... and I am allways intentional.. but don't have kittens over it k... meow...
Got any good books to recommend? ... as in fictional plagarism ... something came first , had to be the hen or the egg wouldn't a got laid... and don't let any milsum fool yah the sword will lop off creativity and spell checkers so keep typing and eventually you will find a voice beyond articulational zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's
 poly_p
Msg: 185
Posted: 11/22/2007 1:25:47 AM
I tend not to respond, unless it was an obvious typo and not a pattern of "speech." I even have it in my profile that you should only message me if you can spell. :) Harsh? Perhaps, but I suppose you need to use some tools to narrow things down. :)
 caroline1102
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2007 10:52:41 AM
To be quite honest here...most off the comments on this thread are very judgemental...how can you judge someone by their spelling abilitys and whether they type in txt talk......I write in txt talk when im texting some one simply because its quicker, doesnt take up too much room on your pages thus costing alot less!!! When I talk to someone on msn from my local area I will type as I talk which is broad scotish, But this does not mean I am thick!!! and do have an education...it means I am able to communicate with people as I would in person....I dont try to prettend im a snob the only time I would write to someone in proper english would be if i were applying for a job or writting a formal letter..........but it feels like that sometimes on here...being judged whether or not your good enough for the position based on you spelling and grammer. Its all bull shit!! lol

noo try n suss oot this wan, jist cause a dinae tipe proper engsh disnae make me thick, a kin dae both u ken....its wot thy caw type as u talk....ma opinion is it dis make u sound friendly...so there git it up use!!!!!
 *buzz*
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2007 12:53:00 PM
I would respond but not the way that my English teacher would be ashamed of me. She was (and still is) the biggest lover and fan of the proper/correct English, very strict, witty and unconventional in how she conducted her English lessons.
Still though when it comes to the pronunciation, I think that the beauty of the English language lies in bending the tongue. True or false?

P.S.
That might be my *Achilles heel* but I'm digressing.LOL
 Sligo930
Msg: 196
Posted: 11/22/2007 1:24:16 PM
At least you receive an email = what happen to just emailing a person who emailed you and say not interested but thanks anyhow. Is that acceptable or have good manners gone by the board.
 Rainsands
Msg: 200
Posted: 11/22/2007 4:17:06 PM
One of the coolest dudes I have ever met on this site is profoundly dyslexic....if I had ignored his emails and IM's because of his misspelled words and bad grammar, I would have lost the opportunity to learn from this awesome guy....
 sasyecat
Msg: 202
Posted: 11/22/2007 8:57:24 PM
I circle all the mistakes, then send it back with a big red F on it.
 NorseViking869
Msg: 205
Posted: 11/22/2007 11:20:55 PM

yes.....usually in spanish or german...................don't often hear back from 'em...go figure...

Mi espanol no bueno...para englese por favor...Muy calliente frauline ich bine ein wunder kind.
 strollinbella
Msg: 206
Posted: 11/23/2007 5:23:11 AM
I will check their profile, and if the poor grammar, etc., continues there, I will send them a polite thanks but no thanks email. While the occasional typing error is to be expected, the use of "u r," Im, their instead of they're, etc., is enough to make me pass the man by.

I have been doing crosswords and other word puzzles since the age of four, and acknowledge that I am an excellent speller. That is probably where my pickiness comes from.

Having a university-level education does not guarantee that you will have either good grammar or a good grasp of the English language. My sister edits Masters Theses for a living, along with the occasional paper that a professor is planning on either having published or presented at a conference. She is occasionally so shocked at their misuse of phrases, superlatives, etc., that she will read a few lines to me. It is amazing that some of these people have made it through 20 or more years of education and still can't put a sentence/paragraph/paper together properly.
 echo*
Msg: 208
Posted: 11/23/2007 11:19:51 AM
It's a major turn-off for me. It's not because I think they'll have trouble communicating. Instead, it makes me think they're stupid or lazy or both.
 eykwingnut11
Msg: 209
Posted: 11/23/2007 6:10:42 PM
i agree with the person on the first page of replies that said if its bad grammar then yes he will respond. if its misspelled words then no he will not. its called dictionary.com ppl... a lot of times i purposely do not use correct punctuation because i am in a hurry while im typing on the internet. this post, case point.
 OneBrazenGirl
Msg: 211
Posted: 11/23/2007 7:39:05 PM
solitarygal: kinda like when people don't know the difference between "then" and "than"??
 echo*
Msg: 212
Posted: 11/23/2007 7:55:57 PM

solitarygal: kinda like when people don't know the difference between "then" and "than"??

Lol, she used them properly.
 grant51k
Msg: 213
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:16:11 PM

Also using 'i' instead of 'I' feels lazy.

Just so you know, to someone who's been doing email a long time, lower-case is just proper netiquette. Upper case is considered SHOUTING. So when i tell you "i've been longing to meet you", i'm speaking in normal tone of voice, versus a very loud "I". They/we only use upper case with someone else's name, as a courtesy.

The habit may have originated with lazy techno-nerds, but it's part of the culture for a whole generation of email veterans.

HTH - grant

(*) "Hope That Helps"
 Seavoyage
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:24:29 PM
That's a tough call, really. Generally, I would say I am not open to that, but I had a best friend who was terrible at grammar, but he managed to graduate with a degree in physics and chemistry. His father was a teacher. I don't know why his grammar was horrible. If a woman is generally pretty smart, has something to say, and I mean really shows she is pretty smart, then I would maybe overlook that, but I think how you write is important and you should care about how you write and speak.... I prefer someone who writes well, but I wouldn't simply use that to judge a person's intelligence or what have you by that...
 GoddessDiane2006
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2007 5:33:44 PM
I agree with most of the threads here. Bad grammar and misspelled words drive me nuts. If there is a typo or two, no big deal. But if you have to decipher what a person is saying, then no, he's not worth my time or my reply. Deeeeeelete!!!!!!
 Tigress
Msg: 220
Posted: 11/24/2007 6:20:47 PM
I really can't deal with it. It is one of my pet peeves!

And you really can tell if it's just a typo or an occasional misspelled word, (we all do that from time to time, nobody's perfect).

If someone is just uneducated or mentally challenged, you can tell that too, and if you are educated and smart, you are not going to be compatable.
 MY OH MY
Msg: 222
Posted: 11/30/2007 5:41:42 PM
OH I definately misspell and wonder if it is the way we pronounce some of the words. Definitely, I pronounce with an a sound...hmmm...grammar I know I misspell grammer all the time. I pronounce that er. Boy, I really think that I need to start spell checking my posts, emails, and tons of other things. I just hope that I haven't sent any notes to my kids' schools that were misspelt. I guess I have fallen under the "just plain lazy" comment.

My apologies to one and all for being a lazy writer.
 JasonTKD22
Msg: 223
Posted: 11/30/2007 8:23:15 PM
DoN't FoRgEt AbOuT wHen PeOpLe TyPe LiKe ThIs ---that's just annoying, and I wouldn't even bother READING an e-mail like that.
 lucilou
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2007 4:32:46 PM
I apologized to all who I e-mailed and responded with missppelled words and bad grammar, I guess I am a dumb foreigner.
 nogo3
Msg: 230
Posted: 12/2/2007 5:36:59 AM
yes I respond because I don't know everything and i'm not perfect and neither is all the smart assed posts that i have just read. thats just plain ignorant and reveals a serious character flaw.

totallforyou
Msg: 241
Posted: 12/3/2007 9:20:08 PM
For me i write essays in the evening and text my friends all day at work... so my grammar when i aim/yahoo messenger someone or even email is horrible by most everyone’s standards. So to answer the question.. It is a indication of my personality.. Even though i am well educated. I am beat down by the time i get on fish to send emails. So it is a indicator that i like to cut corners when i can.. Who doesn’t like to cut corners.??? Isn’t that what internet dating is all about? To save you the trouble of running through 100's of people at the singles bar. So.. My falsify is to be patient with people with bad grammar and to dig deeper to find out the reason why they do it before you label them.
 lonelynlooking15701
Msg: 242
Posted: 12/3/2007 9:32:14 PM
Um...one of the sweetest girls I know is dislexic.

Another very nice lady that I correspond with is a high school English teacher...I think she uses poor spelling and grammar as an escape from her work.

Too bad so many of you wouldn't take the time to get to know either one of them.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >