Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 braveheart106
Msg: 275
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 5 of 54    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
My take and I'll make it quick.

Granted we are not writing for the newspaper or Time magazine. Mistakes happen. I try my best to correct them, just like on IM's we type and sometimes one letter missing no big deal. What I don't consider good is when someone write 'dat' instead of that as an example. But anything else is game.

Depends what you're used to
 dalek1967
Msg: 276
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 12/8/2007 3:57:15 PM
I know a lot of people use "short hand" when chatting but it should be left to people that are well known to each other and to cell phones or something like that. I even type the whole word when I am on Yahoo IM. Now if I get to know someone really well then the "short hand' may be OK but I still prefer the whole thing.

There is to much room for error when typing something in already. There is no need adding one more problem to the mix. If anyone looks at my profile, which is pretty dang long anyway, I typed all that in and spell checked it to boot. Since I use Linux instead of winders, it spell checks automatically anyway. It underlines in red what it doesn't have in the dictionary. I'm sure all computers have a spell checker. I know a friend of mine has a little paper clip thing, it looks sort of stupid to me but . . .

All that said, I will respond if I can figure out what they are saying but if I can't figure it out, I don't see a way to build a relationship/friendship when I can't understand what they are saying. So why bother.

This post has been read three times, spell checked as I typed, and it looks OK for a forum post. Nobody is perfect.

Dale

Pink Rose Lady
Msg: 277
Posted: 12/8/2007 4:04:05 PM
Knowbuddy iz purrfect, butts wee gut to meny ninkompoops heer. Mebbe dey jost skipt two meny clases en skool end waz fuling arond mit der udder ninkompoopies frends end pleying hookie.

Datz wad Im thenking..

Pink
 lumatech
Msg: 283
Posted: 12/13/2007 4:21:36 AM
what is POF populated with nothing but highschool english teachers? If improper spelling bothers you so much that it influences who you talk to than thats silly but I will say this... These things are about first impressions and if your first impression is all sloppy and messy than that says something about you and the same goes for a perfectly polished email. Now I agree that these things do have some influence but they shouldnt be the deciding factor in wether or not you respond to someones email.
 Witty Fool
Msg: 297
Posted: 12/13/2007 3:39:52 PM
I'm sorry, but a high level of literacy and education are important to me. I believe that how one presents themselves while trying to make their best impression can be indicative of these two factors.

I spend a lot of time reading - be it news, books, etc. I like to be able to discuss high level concepts with whomever I am with.

I understand the occassional typo so I am forgiving for the most part, but if I cannot clearly understand what you are trying to say please do not expect a response from me.
 LadyRoseC
Msg: 300
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2007 7:25:08 PM
Perhaps POF should have a spell checker to aid with this..
i am moderatley educated, and i can read a page a minute. .. but weare out a dictionary a year... lol
But when i get excited i get mixed up with my typing too
but not always do silling checkers wake well either...
Oh Will what can i see
except i can mispell in French too
Lady (not so bright tonight) Rose
 catjean
Msg: 310
Posted: 12/15/2007 6:08:15 AM
I never will date someone who is so controling as to nit pick on anything that I do or say. If someone trys to change me from day one I want nothing to do with them. No crying here, I am better off without. Thank you very much and have a nice day. Buh-Bye
 catjean
Msg: 311
Posted: 12/15/2007 6:26:49 AM
Oooppps!

Sorry folks, that last message was aimed at "cheerupemokidx" in reply to "Let me guess, you are one of those people who cry when people judge you by a picture?". Thank you for your patience. (Laughing out loud)
 yllwgt2001
Msg: 313
Posted: 12/15/2007 7:13:02 AM
Doesn't bother me, I can look passed misspelled words. I read the profile and listen to what the person is trying to say. I by far not perfect myself, so I for one will not judge someone by their misspelling or typo's. I probably have a few myself. Who cares, it what inside the person anyway. If you meet someone on the outside and you fell for them and then you find out they can't spell, then what? You leave em'
 DemonLeather
Msg: 315
Posted: 12/16/2007 12:39:50 AM
WeeEEEEell,.iffin' yew dew that thar, theyen I'z wuwn't git ta tawk tew a lawt of yew.. I keent hep I tawk wifth a drawel...
 Ignoble
Msg: 318
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:11:54 PM
RE: First post.

Ya ofcourse I respond. Bad grammar and spelling isnt an indicator of stupidity, maybe they just dont read or write much. I dont really care. Intelligence isnt really that high up there for me as a requirement. The sweetest girl Ive ever met is also the dumbest person I know, but I still loves her! ^_^
 Ur Xoxo
Msg: 320
Posted: 12/30/2007 11:59:19 PM
This makes me think of, "I'm writing this letter very slowly, 'cause I know you can't read very fast."

If we look for the negative, guess what we'll see. Furthermore, we will act negatively towards the other.

When we open ourselves to see the positives in others' failings, or what we consider deficiencies, we bring light instead of darkness to our/their hearts.

To me communication involves much more than words and seeing past that is actually looking deeply into an individuals' being and circumstance.

Long Live the Learning,
Ur Xoxo.
 daryn69
Msg: 321
Posted: 12/31/2007 12:39:32 AM
NO. unlesss thay werr inna hurry.
 fred2353
Msg: 323
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2007 9:05:21 AM
Do you know what it means to be dyslexic ? I do because I am. I try very hard to spell all words correctly, however at times I can't even look a word up. Yet, I'm no idiot. I made it through Furman University as a single parent with full custody. Maybe I should just use my poor spelling and there by avoid judgemental people.
 naeco
Msg: 324
Posted: 12/31/2007 9:11:14 AM
I'd much rather see spelling or grammar mistakes than to get typed messages in text message format, like "gud 2 c u agn".
 DemonLeather
Msg: 325
Posted: 12/31/2007 9:31:31 AM
Man!,.. is this thing STILL kicking around??!! Geeeze the shallowness of some people. I should go though this, take names and mass e-mail..
Helow thar, et wood ticawl mes pluum tew death tew maak yeer akwaintens I izza Hylee edumikated indeevidulle, anna' loockin fer thuh saam. Puleeze reespowd Thawk yas DeeMown..
Actually, they did a study, on this once,.. I just can't quite remember the results, but I believe your brain can recognize and translate horribly misspelled words after the first few letters. as long as the first & last letters were correct...I beleive. Are people actually as shallow as they are stating here? AND publically? You can really wade though the genepool here, and the "posters in black robes." If your shoes are waterproof, you don't even have to worry about your sock getting wet,.. much less your pants legs. Ok Ize duun keow,. I'za hangin' up my black robe
 bellazingara
Msg: 339
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2008 8:47:23 PM
It's generally a turn off for me too; unless English is their second language. I can forgive typos though.
 naeco
Msg: 340
Posted: 1/3/2008 8:58:49 PM

It bothers me. A lot. Sometimes I can pick out when it is a matter of dislexia and will reply. But when it is obviously a matter of not being careful... uhhhh buh-bye - It is too big of a turn off if the guy won't even proof read his email.

Did you proofread? It's "dyslexia", not "dislexia". Ironic to see somebody complain about something that they are doing, too.
 upstate-gal
Msg: 344
Posted: 1/4/2008 6:31:32 AM
Sorry all.. but I also will not seriously consider anyone who cannot communicate well in this language.

I know that most professions require good communicate skill... spelling is the rock-bottom basic necessity for that skill. It does speak volumes about the education and hence the profession (or lack) of the person if they do not have communicate skills.
 joro
Msg: 347
Posted: 1/5/2008 8:28:19 AM
In profiles and emails, bad spelling and grammar are inexcusable (and a red flag), especially for people claiming to be professionals of some sort. In forums and IM chats (where typing is fast and spontaneous), its understandable. I give some flexibility when English isn't someone's first language (my ex- was south american). In these cases, it is sometimes difficult to transpose correctly and English can be confusing (Threw, Through; to, too, two, etc).

But thats the exception to the rule (Same as I would hope someone does when I try talking spanish where one time I was trying to say "I am very hungery" and came out with "I have many men."- Hombre vs. Hambre).
 cjwales
Msg: 351
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2008 3:57:10 PM
I would say you are being just a little too picky!
 crystal_00_43
Msg: 352
Posted: 1/6/2008 4:00:58 PM
you sound like i don't even want to say we all don't have money or some one to help us in school it sounds like you think you are better well you are not some has to work and don't have time to go to school so we learn the best way we can and some kids are just lucky they had help so stop putting people down you its people like you think you are to good for people that can not spell we just don't have every thing hand to us like me when i went to school it was 7 of us and we had only one dress to where to school and one pr of shoes and i had a teacher that did nothing but plat ball so we had to learn by our self so stop putting people down just because they can not spell i can not spell to good but i never had no one out me down they help me out and i thank them so you should help them not put them down snob
 fancynanci
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2008 4:16:54 PM
I would never hold bad spelling or poor grammar against a man. We all have our gifts. Some brilliant men cannot spell or punctuate.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 354
Posted: 1/6/2008 5:05:35 PM
A few misspelled words, no problem. Lots of bad grammer in the aspect of 'their/there' , 'no'know'. It's just too difficult to decipher at times. I don't do read/delete though. I answer emails, which I'm not interested in the person for a potential relationship, politely and thank them for the interest. But, I make it clear if they want to communicate as friends, that's as far as it will go.

I see no sense in being rude or mean.
 missgenie
Msg: 356
Posted: 1/6/2008 5:48:56 PM
it bothrers me very much that POF has no spell check...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >