Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 1317
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 51 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)
My first assumption is simply that she's as bad a typist as me, or is that I?
My second assumption is that she's merely has imperfect as I.
My third assumption is that a lack of a proper education doesn't nessecarily mean a lack of intelligence.
 TylerDurd3n
Msg: 1318
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:09:34 AM
i cant take someone seriously who types 'U WANT 2 go out 4 dinner 2nite' if they are too lazy to type out the full word what other areas are they slacking on, and if they use 'your/you're incorrectly thats pretty annoying as well..i dont need a genius but someone who knows the language would be a start
 MrsMau5
Msg: 1319
Posted: 12/28/2011 12:16:41 AM
i find it irritating as well but, i'll still email back.
 ezlivin313
Msg: 1320
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 6:54:53 AM
Blame it on black-berry... so many words to put with limited spaces.
 Jason B
Msg: 1321
Posted: 12/28/2011 8:19:09 AM
Yes, I would respond to a misspelled message.
 muse1969
Msg: 1323
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2011 1:13:41 PM
lol what is the purpose of replying, he may not understand my reply..
 single8745
Msg: 1324
Posted: 11/27/2016 1:56:26 PM
Wow people are very superficial. When you wake up single past your thirties you will understand why.
 GhettoFoot
Msg: 1325
Posted: 11/27/2016 8:41:34 PM
^ talking about yourself there buddy? LOL.

As far as the topic is concerned, I would respond if I could comprehend what they are saying and liked the message. I once dated one guy who typed and texted with bad grammar and the occasional misspelled word but IRL, he was quite intelligent and articulate.
 MarsWarGod
Msg: 1326
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2016 5:51:57 AM
I'll respond.

Misspelled words and bad grammar doesn't really mean anything like a crappy personality or lack of intelligence.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 1327
Posted: 11/28/2016 6:54:51 AM
Re Single's comment about people snerk
"Looking for someone who has never been married and does not have children"
What if she lived with someone for 10 years ?
 prime ribb
Msg: 1328
Posted: 11/28/2016 7:30:49 AM
Ouija,

That would be cohabitation...lol. As for finding someone who's never been married or has children, it all depends on where you look. Sometimes unmarried and childless people will find you. I only met one on POF that had no children and was never married. On other sites, it's been a balance. It's all about hanging in there.

Regarding misspellings and bad grammar unless the person you emailed is an English Teacher or something that would matter. If its a regular joe shmoe like you that's very petty. What's next? Not dating someone because they don't have advanced math skills? Talk about ridiculous standards.
 Maleman999
Msg: 1329
Posted: 11/28/2016 9:37:01 AM
"What's next? Not dating someone because they don't have advanced math skills?"

Not having good math skills might mean they can't balance a budget, which would be a problem. But I agree that I doubt someone would shoot their chances of getting a date if they can't solve advanced calculus or differential equations problems. Those topics don't come up very often on dates-at least not on dates I've been on.
 moonbeamlover1
Msg: 1330
Posted: 11/28/2016 10:08:13 AM
If it is a iPhone autocorrect issue or not spending five minutes on s perfect note on a teeny tiny screen on a tiny keyboard .. I have a glass house so I can't throw a stone. Not while being on this site on my phone.

But if a person butchers spelling constantly and appears to not understand normal speech? I won't match well with them. Every time I have tried to respond with someone with rough English skills .. there have been some communication frustrations. I gave up on that. Got both our sakes .
 prime ribb
Msg: 1331
Posted: 11/28/2016 10:35:39 AM

Not having good math skills might mean they can't balance a budget, which would be a problem. But I agree that I doubt someone would shoot their chances of getting a date if they can't solve advanced calculus or differential equations problems. Those topics don't come up very often on dates-at least not on dates I've been on.

Math skills would come to play on date like when you go out for dinner and the check comes and you'll have to figure out what amount to leave for a tip and how much the other person's half of the bill comes to.

Weird dealbreakers would be not knowing history, science or geography....lol! I mean what happened to working with flaws?
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 1332
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2016 5:55:05 PM
Good math skills don't matter to me beyond what's necessary to function in everyday life, but good language skills do.

A typo or two is one thing, but a general lack of facility is just a turn-off.

I have a thing about language. Somebody who doesn't know how to use it well would never have been a match for me. This is a personal thing about me, though, not about anybody else. Language skills turn me on. A lack thereof - off. I've tried to make it work in the past, and it was impossible.
 MarsWarGod
Msg: 1333
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2016 5:50:26 AM

prime ribb said advanced math skills. You don't need a mastery of calculus or algebra to balance your budget.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 1334
Posted: 11/29/2016 6:36:01 AM

A typo or two is one thing, but a general lack of facility is just a turn-off.

I have a thing about language. Somebody who doesn't know how to use it well would never have been a match for me. This is a personal thing about me, though, not about anybody else. Language skills turn me on. A lack thereof - off. I've tried to make it work in the past, and it was impossible.

+1
I'm a lawyer; there are few professions that are as, or more, dependent on facility with the written word. Given the substance and length of my profile, I'm left shaking my head when I receive a semiliterate email. I assume they didn't read my profile and I manage my inbox on a quid pro quo rule:
- no indication he read my profile = no response
- any indication he read my profile but misspelled words and/or bad grammar = reply of 'thanks but we're not a match'

Flip side - as much as poor grammar is a turn-off, thoughtful and articulate is a turn-on. The most exciting relationship of my life to-date was with a man who was facile in several modes of speaking and writing, including expressing complex ideas in simple terms and analogies. Endlessly fascinating. (And he does not have a college degree.)
 Ouija2025
Msg: 1335
Posted: 11/29/2016 6:57:14 AM
Poor written skills doesn't always mean someone isn't smart. Unless you plan to only engage via the written word, shrug.
Most people aren't all that erudite - plus I'm a fan say what you mean without flouncing it up
 cooldog65
Msg: 1336
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2016 8:09:11 AM
I've seen plenty of profiles that are full of run on sentences, lack capitalization and punctuation. I use a phone myself and can even do quote boxes. Nothing drives me up a wall more than text speak.
 pfif
Msg: 1337
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2016 9:53:18 AM
There's a competitiveness deep in my background that is
bound to occasionally surface, in conversation. Most of
my great friends and most-easily related-to extended
family members have strong language skills; occasionally
I get to see how that translates, for them, in the
written form.

One of them recently (last two years or so!) wrote me a
longish (for them) email -- call him my close cousin, to
suppose where he fits into my life and family.

I was astonished at the depth of his written communication.
This is someone I only see cryptic texts from, ordinarily --
he hasn't quite developed the social protocol for texting,
accurately, and it gets him into trouble with others from
time to time: and for that, I always pick up the telephone
and dial him, when he goes beyond three texts in short
succession, to bypass all that, in/from him.

I'd be open, of course, to communications with anyone pleasant.
However, by the third date, I would want to have some idea
where their language skills lay.

My date would be somewhat lost, among my extended family, if
they hadn't achieved a fairly advanced set of written
communications skills -- they go together, really: the spoken
and the written forms of language enhance one another. Enough
so that I find I have to frequently apologize for using
(especially: mispronouncing) a spoken word that is ordinarly
only used in the written form (there are many!) by most folks.

Some friends and family revel in that; others wish it to go
away. I am far more deeply drawn to those who revel in my
use of the language. Long-term, I seek someone who would be
deeply comfortable among the people I love, and that, perforce,
includes understanding what everyone is talking about.

The one person I know quite well, who is more of a by-ear
user of English has a highly-developed skillset that does
not include, um, didactic written English. In his own way,
he is ornate, and he's learned (the hard way) not to reach,
with me: he now sits solid upon his statements, having
repeatedly noticed I don't give him a pass on B.S.

No more 'strategery' out of him -- I enhance him, to others.
But it's a special relationship, full of friction others do
not understand. I don't know why we do it, but we've been
doing so since the 1970's -- so we must enjoy it, immensely.

Don't get me wrong -- he is head and shoulders above me, in
so many ways. I just have him pinned on (what to many is
properly regarded as) nit-picking on the sublteties of written
(aye, and often, spoken) English.

Amen. ;)
 Seki1949
Msg: 1338
view profile
History
 prime ribb
Msg: 1339
Posted: 11/30/2016 3:55:00 AM

+1
I'm a lawyer; there are few professions that are as, or more, dependent on facility with the written word. Given the substance and length of my profile, I'm left shaking my head when I receive a semiliterate email. I assume they didn't read my profile and I manage my inbox on a quid pro quo rule:
- no indication he read my profile = no response
- any indication he read my profile but misspelled words and/or bad grammar = reply of 'thanks but we're not a match'

Flip side - as much as poor grammar is a turn-off, thoughtful and articulate is a turn-on. The most exciting relationship of my life to-date was with a man who was facile in several modes of speaking and writing, including expressing complex ideas in simple terms and analogies. Endlessly fascinating. (And he does not have a college degree.)

Here's the thing with grammar, punctuation and misspellings from a male point of view. The bottom line is I could write the most grammatically correct email to you with flawless spellings as well as referencing things in your profile, but if you're not attracted to me physically that won't matter. At the end of the day it's about the pictures. What's written in your profile only counts for thirty percent. When I was active I had women who never read my profile email me. The only wrote me because of my pictures and I would ask them about their profile and they wouldn't remember what they wrote nor would they care. I keep all these things in mind when I'm sites like these that there are always exceptions to rules depending on the individual.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 1340
Posted: 11/30/2016 4:18:26 AM

Here's the thing with grammar, punctuation and misspellings from a male point of view. The bottom line is I could write the most grammatically correct email to you with flawless spellings as well as referencing things in your profile, but if you're not attracted to me physically that won't matter.

That's not the point I was addressing. I was addressing the subject of this thread, which is, whether I would respond or not based on spelling and grammar of the first email.

There are people who say "no response is a response" and that may be true, but I'm in the camp that believes there's 1)another human on the other end of that email who 2) took a risk to write in the first place so the polite thing to do is to acknowledge receipt. Some people may prefer to not receive a 'thanks but no thanks' reply. But I've only read one profile where they stated 'don't reply to say no thanks', so I err on the side of what I think is polite. I don't reply to scammers and spammers because scammers don't meet condition 1 and spammers don't meet condition 2.

I may think the guy is ugly as a frog, but I still follow the same quid pro quo 'rules' for managing my inbox - if there's an indication he read my profile, then I respond. The amount of effort I put into the response is generally proportional to what I perceive as his level of effort. The answer may be the same 'sorry, not interested', but I respond; which is the topic of this thread.

And, no, I don't make an exception if I think he's smoking hot.
 prime ribb
Msg: 1341
Posted: 11/30/2016 5:22:28 AM
CynthiaSM,

In that case you are what we would call an "exception" and I used your post to address what the overall norm is regarding replies or inquiries on dating sites. I don't know you from a hole in the wall and you seem like you do stick to your criteria, but then again you're an officer of the court and you have a certain level of ethics and standards. Your approach to this is a lot more different than say a clerk at Walmart or a Stay At Home Mom with delusions of grandeur.

Maybe there needs to be more lawyers on POF. That's the solution! Markus should launch a marketing campaign geared towards getting lawyers to join POF....Just Kidding.
 PlutoLover68
Msg: 1342
Posted: 11/30/2016 1:35:00 PM
I'm good with some typos. I'm ok with grammar that isn't text book. I'm not ok with people who use the completely wrong word because it sounds similar. I saw a perfect example in a profile today. He likes to travel, "by airplane or crews ship". If you do not know the difference between crew and cruise, we will not be a good match.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >