Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Annie1108
Msg: 1263
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 51 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)
Even though i have a distaste for bad grammar... The benefit of the doubt should be exercise when reading profiles...
Maybe they were in a hurry... or... were so caught up in their feelings at the moment that they were stumbling over their words... it's certaintly happened to me at times... so why not another?
So...i'll usually ignore the misspelled words and look beyond that to identify with the person writing the words on a more personal level....
As for myself.....I usually write U instead of You... and Ur instead of Your... but other than that i usually won't have many misspelled words that i'm choosing to misspelled incorrectually ... :)
 maryjay51
Msg: 1264
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 8/28/2011 5:57:52 PM
Funny I stumbled upon this one when a few days ago I had this very problem. I had an email that was so badly typed out that I couldn't understand what the person was trying to communicate with me. So I figured I would give him the benefit of the doubt , thinking it was a huge typo from the blackberry or something. However about five email exchanges later I realized he really couldn't spell. I didn't say anything though. I didn't want to embarass him about it and gracefully got out of talking to him any longer.
 1in1000000000
Msg: 1265
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 1:59:57 AM

I honestly don't know what you're getting at. And how do you know I'm planning on speaking English for the rest of my life, wasn't the best in my english class and that this article is only about people who speak english as a first language (the authors intention)? And yes I love when people correct my german/french too but sometimes people don't and you can't get proper practise. But I still don't get what you're saying really.

O.k. I don't know you, don't know how you did in English class, and don't know whether you plan to speak English for the rest of your life. That's why I said "IF we are talking about" a person who either didn't do well in English class (as you or someone else mentioned earlier might be the case), or someone who is a lifelong English speaker (most people in America, for example), then there is no excuse. They need to improve their writing and speaking ability, until they have attained at least an intelligible level of English proficiency. Barring any mental, learning or physical disabilities that may preclude a person from speaking, writing or grasping the language at a level of proficiency, anyone whose first language is English, and who is at least age 10, should be able to speak and write in a manner that is clear and coherent. Otherwise, they shouldn't be sending people written messages.

WHATEVER persons this thread is referring to, I personally am referring to native English speakers. A LOT of them who post on the Internet or send messages through Cyberspace really need to get it together. And I am not talking about one or two errors here and there, I am talking about repeated simple errors and pure careless, sloppy, slipshod composition. But I also find the teeny bopper textspeak ultra annoying coming from full grown adults as well, who should know better.
 1in1000000000
Msg: 1266
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 2:28:40 AM
I'm with you two, Ferruginous and LIslandmermaid. This madness is getting way out of hand.

I can deal with "text-speak" or using abbreviations (lol, btdt,s/o....) but poor spelling is a turn-off for me, especially since there are tools available right there on a person's computer to correct spelling errors.

Some of the universally known cyberspeak is one thing (LOL/TTYL/LMAO/OMG/WTH, etc.), but who invented "ur" for...er (pardon the pun)... whatever it is supposed to mean? But even the legit abbreviations can go overboard. Believe it or not, there are lots of people new to the Internet, who don't know these acronyms. Really, other than maybe "LOL", most of that other stuff should take a back seat when writing a message to someone, especially someone you don't know, on a dating site. What do you need it for under such circumstances? And I have NO idea WTH "btdt" is supposed to mean. I can only guess that s/o is significant other. Again, a lot of it is overboard. I don't even like it when professional people use acronyms and assume that everyone knows for what they stand. If it's not universally known, just have the common courtesy to spell it out.

Excellent point that there are built in tools that show you when you have typed erroneously. No excuse for pure laziness.
 Jypzee
Msg: 1268
Posted: 8/29/2011 9:25:57 AM
i abbrev. cos i feel like it, if im chattin w some1 who gets bent outa shape ovr it..byeee...u did get the gist of my message, eh?
 Annie1108
Msg: 1269
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 10:46:04 AM
No... Actually because i like being different... And for me different is good...:}
 Capture-My-Heart
Msg: 1270
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 9:51:05 PM
Sweetbabeblues,
Some people have a hard time excepting good people for their simple mistake. Or lack of learning! Good people are good people weather they can spell or not. But people that go around nit picking others, those are the one's I would worry about.
 wildandfreee
Msg: 1271
Posted: 8/30/2011 5:10:42 AM
yes i do, but your thread make me feel sick
 Slepyally
Msg: 1272
Posted: 8/30/2011 11:42:46 AM
Mastery of the english language is not a measure of intelligence by any means. It might be that english is not the person's first language and you might miss out on a very great person. But if you do speak to them and still cant understand then there in lies the barrier.
 dirtydog3
Msg: 1273
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2011 11:57:39 AM
No. I'm looking for literacy and intelligence, which go well with a great body.
 thundergatti
Msg: 1274
Posted: 8/30/2011 8:03:18 PM
What even worse than bad spelling or grammer is not being able to complete a sentance without using the word "like", the worst abomination of the english language there is.
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 1275
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2011 8:52:37 PM
Knowing very well that there are many intelligent people who simply suk at spelling I can see overlooking a misspelling or two, but... for me personally, it indicates that they haven't bothered to read my profile, so I simply ignore them. Like much else it's all about personal experience, personal preference & priorities.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 1276
Posted: 8/31/2011 9:01:01 PM
1274: What even worse than bad spelling or grammer is not being able to complete a sentence

Oh dear. Did you mean…

What’s even worse than bad spelling or grammar is not being able to complete a sentence…?

I rest my cake.

OT: Typo’s I forgive. Occasional misspellings I overlook. Torturous sentence structure I tolerate. But beautiful language makes me hot.
 ferruginous
Msg: 1277
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2011 10:26:06 PM

i find it easier to not capitalize all the time and i dont always use punctuation and use shorthand & if u dont like it then ur 2stuffy4me...lmao...
I suppose that a potential employer, who throws your resume away, without giving you any consideration for a job, is just 2stuffy4u?
 Tremolux
Msg: 1278
Posted: 9/1/2011 4:30:41 PM
Too yeers agoe, eye coont spel Ingrish teechur. Know I r won!
 SC67
Msg: 1279
Posted: 9/1/2011 5:54:07 PM
Too many misspelled words & grammatical errors are a total turn off. It's annoying for a grown man to use ur instead of your (or your instead of you're).

If it seems English is not their first language I will not respond. My SCAM alert goes off like crazy. Sure...nice guys have foreign accents...I'll miss out on all those nice guys. I'm not really looking anymore anyway.
 Rogue_shark
Msg: 1280
Posted: 9/1/2011 6:47:09 PM
"gotten" is poor English. . .
 Jypzee
Msg: 1281
Posted: 9/1/2011 9:39:13 PM

I suppose that a potential employer, who throws your resume away, without giving you any consideration for a job, is just 2stuffy4u?

It is somewhat stuffy for me on yahoo chat or pof emails to always maintain capitalization, proper punctuation, and to completely spell out each and every word when u will suffice for you. If somebody I have been communicating with on a social network wants to hold my feet to the fire for that, I believe its time for me to hot foot it out of there, but no one ever has berated me for it, and most tend to type back with similar shortcuts of their own.
When it comes to resumes and potential employers, that is another ball of wax. I'm curious why you would think that yahoo shorthand and abbreviations would spill over onto resumes and employment applications because I don't get the connection. It amuses me to think that you assume I wouldn't know any better than that. As you can see by my reply, I'am capable of using punctuation and of spelling words. I happen to have a wide vocabulary and I'm pretty good with words, but i do suck @math..oops, i meant 'at' }:->~
 Saltyncasper
Msg: 1282
Posted: 9/2/2011 11:51:33 AM
I from Russia and I not able to help it sometime try writing in Russian see how good you are then
 karma1160
Msg: 1283
Posted: 9/2/2011 12:11:07 PM
It depends on how bad it is, I am not the best either, eventhough I have several years of education, lol my thought move faster than my grammer sometimes. I am always reminding myself to proof, but yes sometimes I forget.
If there are basic words continuously, than I am have to wonder if we are a good match.
 1in1000000000
Msg: 1284
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2011 7:42:01 PM
I just hit the reply button to test something. I typed nonsensical words to see if there would be any indication that I had misspelled. There was. If I type some word that is a non-word or makes no sense, I get a little scribbled red underline right underneath the word. This phrase here ---> aint typen da werds currecly fors ur bes aybel fors rede dem has every word underlined in red. It's not difficult to see while I type the remainder of the message. People can see where they have erred in their typing, but for whatever reason, they don't bother to go back and correct it before posting. If they don't bother, why should anyone else bother with what they have to say?
 femaleandflirty
Msg: 1285
Posted: 9/2/2011 7:56:39 PM
Easy, they are gone.. I have a thing about bad spelling and grammar and it usually
means lack of education.....call me a snob but there you are.
 femaleandflirty
Msg: 1286
Posted: 9/2/2011 7:57:23 PM
Of course if English is not your first language then it is different of course.
 Tremolux
Msg: 1287
Posted: 9/2/2011 8:50:24 PM
By the same token, OP, it would serve you well to carefully scrutinize those emales emaling you-zing reel gud semenantics an sin-tax cuz it mite B 1 uv thoze litterture greeks braking out wheppin's uv class construckshun an tyring 2 get U awl gogglee whiff there hoytee toytee silly boles.
 1in1000000000
Msg: 1288
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2011 9:08:29 PM
Try trying to figure out what Tremolux is saying in his posts, and that gives you a very good idea of what it is like trying to figure out what a lot of these other folk are saying in their regular e-mails that contain bad grammar, poor syntax, misspellings and the like. You can figure it out if you sit there and spend extra time on the message, but who wants to do all that (it's aggravating) if not for entertainment purposes, such as you might get from Tremolux's facetiousness. It's no laughing matter when it's an involuntarily poorly constructed message.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >