Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 1340
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond? Page 54 of 54    (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54)

Here's the thing with grammar, punctuation and misspellings from a male point of view. The bottom line is I could write the most grammatically correct email to you with flawless spellings as well as referencing things in your profile, but if you're not attracted to me physically that won't matter.

That's not the point I was addressing. I was addressing the subject of this thread, which is, whether I would respond or not based on spelling and grammar of the first email.

There are people who say "no response is a response" and that may be true, but I'm in the camp that believes there's 1)another human on the other end of that email who 2) took a risk to write in the first place so the polite thing to do is to acknowledge receipt. Some people may prefer to not receive a 'thanks but no thanks' reply. But I've only read one profile where they stated 'don't reply to say no thanks', so I err on the side of what I think is polite. I don't reply to scammers and spammers because scammers don't meet condition 1 and spammers don't meet condition 2.

I may think the guy is ugly as a frog, but I still follow the same quid pro quo 'rules' for managing my inbox - if there's an indication he read my profile, then I respond. The amount of effort I put into the response is generally proportional to what I perceive as his level of effort. The answer may be the same 'sorry, not interested', but I respond; which is the topic of this thread.

And, no, I don't make an exception if I think he's smoking hot.
 prime ribb
Msg: 1341
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 11/30/2016 5:22:28 AM
CynthiaSM,

In that case you are what we would call an "exception" and I used your post to address what the overall norm is regarding replies or inquiries on dating sites. I don't know you from a hole in the wall and you seem like you do stick to your criteria, but then again you're an officer of the court and you have a certain level of ethics and standards. Your approach to this is a lot more different than say a clerk at Walmart or a Stay At Home Mom with delusions of grandeur.

Maybe there needs to be more lawyers on POF. That's the solution! Markus should launch a marketing campaign geared towards getting lawyers to join POF....Just Kidding.
 PlutoLover68
Msg: 1342
view profile
History
If someone emails you with misspelled words and bad grammar, do you respond?
Posted: 11/30/2016 1:35:00 PM
I'm good with some typos. I'm ok with grammar that isn't text book. I'm not ok with people who use the completely wrong word because it sounds similar. I saw a perfect example in a profile today. He likes to travel, "by airplane or crews ship". If you do not know the difference between crew and cruise, we will not be a good match.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >