Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SmartAlec
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Describe yourself as a teenager.Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Does anyone remember flowers in your hair, hitchhiking, parties in the sand dunes at the beach, maxi coats, mini skirts, hot pants in lime green and hot pink with the matching go go boots? Come one girls fess up? embroidary on your jeans with PAX symbols? the extra pockets made for hiding the roaches? no one carried a purse as we had no money? Hair worn straight down to your azz and headbands and macrame belts? jeans with the denium inserts? sailor pants bought from army and navy? buffalo hide sandals made in India that you soaked in hot water to get them to form to your feet? He He aging myself?
 HavinFunRU
Msg: 48
Describe yourself as a teenager.
Posted: 7/8/2005 7:23:50 PM
In High School I was a "head" and a "speed freak"...didn't do to well academically. Joined the Air force and straightened up, got married, had kids...or was that had kids...got married. hummmm....something like that. I remember bell bottoms, black lights, jean bag purses, floppy hats, partying in the park, Three Dog Night, Dobbie Brothers, etc..etc...a lost child of the 70's. Attended 25 year reunion and heard..."Wow...You're still alive."

Geeze...thanks for the memories...
 Sparklepants
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/10/2005 9:07:15 PM
Teenage years....let's see...

Raised by a hippie mother and had no rules/curfew.
At age 14, I looked 19.
Was on the pill by the time I was 15.
Smoked pot every day before school by age 15.
Never studied and always on the honor roll.
Had a fake ID and used it often.
Was a cheerleader (I was a former gymnast and always made the team, no prob)
Frustrated the jocks by only dating the stoners and the thugs
Was sent home from school for wearing my "Nugent Kicks Ass" t-shirt
Was not part of a clique...had friends in all social circles
Snarled at the jocks who pushed the gay guys into lockers
In jail at 17
Sold cocaine to pay for college

Now...time for college...
Studious, couldn't believe everyone else was so wild and excited to be away from home
Didn't do any more drugs
Worked my way through college
Hippie mother wanted me to go into social work or become an art teacher for children
Greatly disappointed her by becoming everything she fought in the early 70's...fascinated by the stock market, financial analysis, and the corporate world
Joined the corporate world at age 22, been there ever since!

Sorry, Mom...lol
 junipermoon
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2006 6:24:42 AM
i did the catholic school thing ~ uniforms, the whole 9 yards. but i drove the nuns crazy because i asked too many questions they couldn't answer.

pretty much grew up in a ballet studio and was quite serious about it until my hips gave out at about 19 years old.

i alternated between going to classes and following the dead on tour selling dyes in the parking lots and dropping blotter.

i never fit neatly into any one category ~ part hippy chick, part ballet dancer, part rebel, part geek.
 Saturday Night Rocks
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/1/2006 6:01:49 PM
Geek geek gEeK gEEk geEK geeK gearhead GEeK GEEk GEek Geek geeK geEK gEEK GEEK Girlwatcher GEEK grump gEeK I think you get the idea...

Yeah I think it is safe to say that I was the "Alpha Geek" of my highschool class. Ouch.
 ~SpiffyKat~
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/3/2006 10:28:39 PM
I was definately a handful..... Quirky,"artsy",feisty,opinionated,tomboyish,mischevious,wore a lot of black,read a lot, and wrote a lot of poetry..I guess some things never change
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2016 10:42:35 PM
An ex told me I was a "parents' wet dream" because I didn't smoke, drink, date or cut classes, etc.
(I just sleep in class from grade six and on because I would get bored )
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/5/2016 9:54:45 AM
Half geek, half athlete. Did not hang out with the popular people but with the outcasts, pot heads, musicians, yet I didn't do any of them.
 cooldog65
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2016 11:16:04 AM
Dork, geek, and a bit nerdy would describe me. I spent most of my teenage years a bit overweight and watched a lot of TV. Not much luck with the girls either.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/5/2016 11:25:10 AM
Pretty much the same as I am now...but with a lot more adversity conquered now.
Still the same personality, character, friendliness, stubbornness, way of making friends.
Bright blue converse, thrift shop shopper, Cure listening, plain jane.
And a math nerd.
 Chromis1
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2016 12:18:14 PM
I was a risk taker and experimental.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/5/2016 3:35:59 PM
jamie 25- Good thread. :)
Almost unrecognizable, compared to now.
Then: NOT with the times (80's, big hair), my grandparents were too strict, not letting me make my own choices, so I'm going around with long, straight hair, no make up, my shirt buttoned up to my neck, really looking and feeling out of place.
As you can imagine, picked on, which made me quiet and withdrawn, VERY shy.
Prim and proper, religious, didn't smoke or drink, never got into trouble, good grades, in the choir, hung out with the nerds/geeks and band and choir members.
No problems with my weight, never gave a thought to what I ate, thin/athletic build.
Now: I don't care anymore if I'm with the times, I wear what I want to wear, what's comfortable, if I'm wearing what is in fashion, it is only because I like it. LOVE me some blue jeans, shoes are comfortable too, usually flats/sandals.
NOT picked on because I slowly but surely got sick of that and grew a spine, which meant no more church/religion because the doubt was always there in the back of my mind and still is.
Still love music, like to sing, that hasn't changed.
No more shyness either, growing a spine meant I learned to open my mouth and talk and I do that quite a bit now. :D
I drink and used to smoke (I quit 3 weeks ago and started vaping), for sure NOT so prim and proper anymore.
Diagnosed with arthritis at 42, struggling with my weight and not thin, what people refer to as "thick" in the young crowd, over weight and working on that, but over all, MUCH more comfortable and happy with who I am, at this age. :)
Still very loyal and have a handful of close, long term friends that I love and treasure, and my family, of course.
 Long_Shot_Kick_D_Bucket
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/5/2016 7:54:44 PM
Hmmm!!
poor, on my own by 16, couch surfing, hated school, yet driven to graduate for a better life, family caretaker, awkward, shy, old soul, almost murdered, joined the Marines, graduated.

I've come a long way from then and proud of how I turned out :)
 Inner_Gorilla
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/6/2016 6:46:57 AM

Not much luck with the girls either.

I had an unusual story. When I was 13 I had this girlfriend. She was two years older and one of my older sister's friends. She was gorgeous. Then we moved to another city. We stayed together for many years. So that meant that most of my high school years I did not date, because I had this long distance girlfriend. When we finally decided to date other people, since she was not going to move to my city or me to her city (we were still just kids), I started to sort of date. But I was quite inadequate. Then I came to the states for a year and because I had an accent I was treated by women like the hottest thing. So I got beat up by the football team because I dared talked to their girlfriends. Then they became my friends because I could talk to their girlfriends. When I went back to South America, I was more of a rebel ex pat and hung around the English speaking weirdos that did a lot of surfing, skateboarding, and music. I didn't get along with the Prima Dona typical Venezuelan girl so I ended up dating what I called embassy girls. Those were the daughters of people that worked at different embassies from Scandinavian countries. I really didn't figure what I was doing with the girls until about my third year in college.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2016 7:09:33 AM
Rural kid living 5 miles outside of town. Oldest of three boys.
Wrecked the car in the ditch at 16 driving home from the dentist & got distracted.
Never drank or smoked and wore my seat belt every day after the accident. Mom was obscenely paranoid about my driving regardless. She was a miserable backseat driver - and still is to this day (30+ years).

Awkward, skinny & short kid. Small school - less than 100 kids per grade. Not a lot of friends in town because I wasn't allowed to drive to see them. Arranging rides was awkward for parents not used to having kids in after school activities.

Found my niche by getting involved in almost everything at school. After basketball practice there was drama rehearsals, or yearbook photos, or editing the paper, or running the candy vendor for sports events. Didn't have to go home until 10 pm so my parents didn't have to leave work early to pick me up. Homework was fairly easy because I was about two grades ahead in skill tests over most of my classmates.

Never had anything resembling a dating relationship - just dates for Prom and that was about it. I was ridiculously naive to the ways of dating, and in many ways STILL am. Got voted 'Friendliest Senior' at graduation because everybody knew me, and I had no enemies.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/11/2016 2:53:44 AM
Precocious. Free-spirited. Creative. But very sad.
 Olivoil
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/11/2016 5:23:33 AM
Supermodel beautiful, tall and slim. Really shy, intelligent, with a lot going on in my head. Too shy to date, never had a high school boyfriend my age.
Always too guarded to have careless fun. Kind of an old soul, and still am.
Married an older man, at 18.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2016 5:07:12 PM
I wanted to build things. Nothing mechanical escaped my tinkering fingers. I had a job since age 12, as a farmhand and paper boy. High school, I hid. I was a bully target. Betcha I didn't spend more than 5 minutes in four years, talking to the opposite sex (Spread that 5 minutes over four years) I did tech school, but ended up doing construction. Not dealing with women gave me the drive to ride dirt bikes, and race.
I wasn't a great rider, until I found lake ice racing. No girlfriends meant I had the time to prep my bikes. And since I was doing construction, and had not worked during the winter, that just gave me the chance to really dial in the bikes. I was the guy to beat.

Women? What are those? Something to walk past, I guess.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 77
Posted: 1/24/2016 12:25:25 AM
Shy, awkward, pessimistic, not pretty, plain-Jane, very intellectual, into metaphysics, somewhat of a loner (by choice). Could never really relate to most kids my age.
 kj521
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/28/2016 7:12:32 PM
I know what I was like as a teenager....

I think it would be more interesting to find out what others think I was like as a teenager. :)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2016 5:50:58 AM
Horny

Went to a Catholic grade school, an all boys high school run by monks, and an engineering college that was 90% male.

Read a lot of books, a lot of SF, but all subjects, fiction and nonfiction. Discovered erotic books like "The Story of O" and "Man with a Maid" when in high school.

Had several male friends through grade school to my current age. Never bullied, only had the rare run in with violent kids / teenagers, which at most resulted in a bloody nose.

But the only women I saw were mostly nuns.

So horny and imaginative prevailed.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2016 12:39:57 PM

I figured this might be a fun question for peope over 30.

Well odd for you to ask -- you're 37! Oh wait, you wrote this over 10.5 years ago, so I guess you were in your mid-20s then. :)

But even with big hair and disco, or rolling up the bottom of your jeans... or wearing what are now considered "Mom Jeans" in the 90s... I don't think there's too much a difference. Being a teen is being a teen -- bigger change of life going from high school --> 30s, than being in high school in the 80s vs being in high school in the 00s.
 koaladropbearsrule
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/2/2016 12:11:28 AM
As a teenager I was the teachers pet.
Geeky looking.
Not in with the 'in crowd'.
Bad at sport.
Spent a lot of time in the science lab and library and playing with computer punch cards.
Yep I am that old.

Long hair almost to my knees. Dead straight.
Big boobs, slender body and long legs.
Grew the boobs at age 13.

More interested in theatre and piano and academic studies.
Boys did not notice me.

If I wanted a dance I had to approach and ask them.

Not much other than my hair length and waist measurement has changed.
 showboatsupreme
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/3/2016 6:04:01 AM
Fat nerd.

Innocent, shy and very naive.

Well read loner. Millions of frequent flyer miles at the library.

Read Dune, Lord of the Rings and Asimov's Foundation series by the time I was 17.

Nobody knew more about bigfoot, UFOs, great white sharks and Superman then I did.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2016 10:27:53 AM
Hmm, I read Dune and Asimov's Foundation, never liked Lord of the Rings, though I did like the movie. While Dune the movie was accurate but I didn't really enjoy it. I didn't think it translate well to film.
=====================
I also read Doon. wherein rival restaurant-owning families battle for control of Arruckus, which is overrun by giant pretzels and the source of valuable beer.

Arruckus is also known as "Doon", and is additionally known as the Dessert Planet. Covered entirely in sugars, it is a harsh unforgiving environment, where not an entree can be found; the natives live entirely on whatever they can import, produce from the sugars, or produce from soy protein.

Duke Lotto accepts the fief, aware that it may well be a death trap but also conscious of the importance of Arruckus's only export, the wide-spectrum intoxicant known as beer. Found naturally on Arruckus as a result of natural processes and nowhere else, it is the engine on which commerce runs; the Schlepping Guild, who has a monopoly on space travel in the Imperium, will not run without it. Who controls the beer controls commerce.

But soon after arriving on Doon, with his heir and son Pall and his concubine the Lady Jazzica, an adept of the galaxy-spanning sisterhood of chefs and event planners known as the Boni Maroni.

Events come to a head when Pall, gone completely native and acquiring the "Eye of the Egad" (the telltale red-on-red eyes, indicating severe beer addiction) challenges the Baron to a bake-off, with a new ingredient:

Etc, etc, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon%27s_Doon

If you liked and know the story line regards to Dune, then read Doon, I thought it was a pretty funny parody.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >