Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Gift cards are a SCAM!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 10
Gift cards are a SCAM!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Maybe if these companies that sell gift cards actually were held LEGALLY liable for going interest rates on simple savings accounts I'd feel different. The fact is the longer one takes to use a card, that is interest going into big corps pocket[ RICH GET RICHER]. It is free money for these companies , thats the bottom line. Not to mention the fact that many do not use them ever. If you are uncreative enough not to take the time to buy a gift , you may as well give money .
 piscescoda
Msg: 11
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 11/27/2007 2:47:27 AM
Why should companies be held liable for that? That's like me writing a check and then someone getting pissed because i'm still earning interest on it for as long as the person holds onto it before cashing it. Not my fault.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 12
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 11/28/2007 3:06:46 AM
^^^^ The holiday season is one big scam anyway. I do not BUY into it literally lol. I do believe you are right about one thing... BEING A ROBOT OF SOCIETY. Our society and every other society has brainwashed people into believing in certain gods and most people do not even question it - but thats another thread. The holiday season purposely comes at end of year. It is on purpose of course. The fact is gift cards are a scam and giving should not be designed for select times of year or on certain occassions. Gifts should not always be things one spends money on as well, another brainwashing part of society. Don't get me wrong buying a gift is nice but it should not be an obligation.
 bizeebee
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 11/28/2007 7:36:44 PM
My kids, young and grown love gift cards. They get twice as much by waiting until the weeks after Christmas to shop. I also buy them all something personal that they do not expect.
Yes, the stores do profit madly when cards are not redeemed. Not much chance of that happening around here :)
BZB
 N3T_K1LLA
Msg: 14
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 11/28/2007 10:51:20 PM
There are a couple things that have failed to be mentioned here.

Some states have passed laws banning companies to deduct money from the gift cards, California is one of them, thus, leaving the gift card at the full amount intended.

Another thing is, if the gift card is either lost or stolen, most companies have a clause in their return policy that the card could not have been used . Bottom line in most cases is you're SOL.

The thing that boggles my mind is why you wouldn't use a gift card in over a year. I have yet to see any gift cards I get, even the most random of places go more than a year.

To those who say cash and gift cards are tacky, hmm, lets think about that. ..

The whole fact that you would care about getting ANY gift being tacky shows that you are a very ungrateful person, shame on you all. You should be happy that they thought of you in the first place, even if it is cash.
 Calray
Msg: 15
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 3/8/2008 11:04:26 AM
between the time that I first posted in this forum and now, it seems I may have changed my position on this. Turns out now that many people who have received gift cards to Sharper Image are now being told that they won't be able to redeem their cards as the company is now bankrupt, and gift cards are considered unsecured loans than can be discharged in the bankruptcy.

What boggles my mind is the legal maneuvering that has to be done to rob the every day consumer like this. First of all loans are extended by lenders with an expectation of repayment plus a return on investment. People don't buy gift cards expecting a return on investment. They merely want to be able to exchange them for merchandise of equal value. Secondly, even if they are loans how would they be unsecured as these loans are supposed to be "repaid" with assets the company already have on store shelves, as in the merchandise.
 Calray
Msg: 17
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:39:11 PM

Gift cards bring in tons of money which is why some stores only give refunds in the form of a gift card. They know that a lot of them go unused and a lot of them are lost which is all free money to them. I didn't know they expire after a year but nothing businesses do surprises me anymore.

Actually stores might choose to use a gift card policy because the face value of the card in merchandise costs the store a lot less than the face value in cash. The same effect can be had by having an instore exchange only policy. A gift card just allow the customer to come back another day.

Which is also directly related to the compromise that Sharper Image apparently has created with their current gift card situation. And technically it's quite brilliant. It allows Sharper Image customers to get the value of their gift cards while still bringing in cash to appease their creditors in the bankruptcy case.
 Calray
Msg: 18
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 3/9/2008 11:51:32 PM

To the poster who said givng checks and reconciling one's account when check is held on to--basic checkbookkeeping 101: Write a check, deduct the amount from your balance. Consider it spent, period. Otherwise, give cash. The recipient should not have to be held to your timeline for spending it.

That time between when a check is issued and when it's spent is called float. And in business when millions are exchanged every day, float can be an accountants nightmare. That is why even checks can have an expiration date. Next time you get paid, that is if you receive a paper check, take a look and I would imagine you would find on there somewhere something like "expires after 90 days".

Truth is companies don't really want you holding on to their gift cards for long periods of time. On the books for as long as you're holding that card it has to be listed as a liability and no profit can be shown.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 19
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/23/2013 3:00:11 AM
PRIMEWOMAN..Exactly, that is my point. If I give someone a check and it is not cashed I still have the money. If the card is lost or whatever , the corporation has the money. Most people will not bother to go through channels to get their card back and probably lost the receipt as well.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/23/2013 3:29:19 AM
I have used any gift card given me.
Love them!!

No one can shop for clothes or shoes for me, ( hard to fit both) I'm not into jewelry.
Exchanges are a pain in the azz.

I dont agree its just like cash.
You know I like or need XXX but don't know how to pick XXX. A gift card to a store that sells XXX is greatly appreciated.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 21
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/23/2013 6:27:52 AM

If I give someone a check and it is not cashed I still have the money.

You pay for checks, do you not? Even with a free account, you still have to buy the paper checks.
Plus, every check you write typically has your routing and account numbers on it. How well do you know your gift recipient?

If the card is lost or whatever , the corporation has the money.

If you give cash, and the card is lost, who has the money then? At least with gift cards, you have a chance of reimbursement.

Also some of these corps have the gall to take away money from these cards over time.

And rightly so. Penalties are an incentive to use the money in January, when retail is slow, rather than just leave it in a drawer. If I give you a gift card for a movie ticket, you typically don't JUST buy the movie. You'll likely buy popcorn or soda as well. The theater makes enough profit off of those items to cover the cost of the cards - and keep otherwise seasonal workers employed.

Likewise for online retail. If you receive a $20 gift certificate, the goal is to get you on the site. Once you're there, you're more likely to buy MORE than just $20 worth of stuff. Oh look, the new Michael Buble album and neon butt plugs are also on sale.

Of course, you can always just buy them a coffee maker.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 22
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/23/2013 9:36:44 AM

Part of the skill of giving a present is finding out how well you know the person and how well it fits into their life. SPECIAL, a gift is something special. Money is not special. It's mundane and routinely everyday.

For many thats what a lot of people do as very personal gifts, hand made, etc…. And gift is still a gift, whether it from the heart or the pocket book….or other method in the spirit of giving….

And getting back with the gift cards, when buying in bulk Op, many companies will charge you less then it's face value….then considering the store mark up where you spent it,is at least 40 to 70% over true cost …. they can sell you gift cards say at a 25% or more off its face value and still make a profit.
So Op, if you think the $25.00 gift card you got from your friend,etc cost them $ 25.00, you might want to think twice…. if thats your main concern….$$ in the cha-cing in giving...

But don't look a gift horse in the mouth either …….cheers & happy holidays...
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/23/2013 9:46:40 AM
I love gift cards and use them immediately. It's up to the recipient what they do with them. It's also up to the recipient to read the fine print and find out any charges/fees. Not all gift cards charge fees or reduce the principal if unused. You can also regift them, or sell them online for a reduced cost. Again, also the responsibility of the recipient. Costco, for instance, never charges any kind of a fee and you can use them at full value at any time. How do I know? I asked them, and it's true. So, anyone want to send me a Costco card? I love Costco!
And no, I don't work at Costco.
 daynadaze
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/23/2013 10:29:38 AM
I can't believe how many people use a holiday to whine, piss & moan in self-pity about having to give or receive or think of others or feel some emotional excitement! Don't like giving cash, don't, don't like giving a gift card, don't, don't like having to think hard enough to know a person well enough to know what they might like as a gift, just hate giving gifts to people....then whine away, but really, whatever your beliefs or feelings are about any occasion, stop trying so hard to ruin it for everyone else! Sheesh!

Personally I like to give people a gift they would love or at least like, hopefully. Some like money, some like gift cards, some drop hints about what they want, some just tell you exactly what they want, it's all good. But then I don't see it as some personal attack on my being to spend a little time with people I love so I know what they might like. I love nothing more than seeing someone open a present and having a look of pure joy on their face. Holidays, in my opinion, are not the time for shallow, poor poor pitiful me, whiny time. It's Santa time, I wait all year to get in on being Santa as much as I can! :D
 Molly Maude
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/23/2013 5:16:22 PM
I'm not that keen on getting gift cards as a present ... my last employer,
instead of giving us Christmas bonuses, would give us gift cards to places
we would never have gone otherwise ... e.g., to use one gift card for $50,
I had to drive 60 miles to the store, there was nothing in that store for less
than $50, then I drove home again, having spent time, gasoline, etc. AND
$25 to redeem a $50 gift card in a ridiculously expensive store ... for
something I could have probably bought locally for $20 ... thanks.

I think it depends on how well you know the person ... my son-in-law and
daughter LOVE a specific restaurant in Seattle ... I bought them two $25
gift cards for that restaurant and the restaurant gave me another $10 gift
card for free which I included in their present ... so I paid $50 and my
family got a $60 present to a restaurant they enjoy ... I love a good bargain!!

presents are always iffy ... unless you really know the person ... I don't care
how tacky cash is ... you can spend it any way you like ... there's no problems
with size or color ... maybe not romantic ... but terrifically practical ...
 SngleNarlington
Msg: 26
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/23/2013 6:33:30 PM
I have always spent hours trying to figure out the perfect gift for my grandparents for any special occasion to make them happy! One year I was helping clean out their attic and I found several gifts that I had given them throughout the years just sitting up there collecting dust. From that point on I decided gift cards were the way to go. They love going out to breakfast so I always buy a gift card to their favorite restaurant.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 27
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/24/2013 1:14:43 AM
I would rather have the cash. I got a gift card for 20 bucks to a restaurant I hate. Give me the money , you are going to spend it anyway. Sorry , I stand by my answer. Corporations advertise like crazy to sell gift cards. They know they are going to be reeling in pure profit... lost cards, unused cards for other reasons, interest. I am not down with this as a gift. Again , I reiterate if I give someone a check and they do not cash it , I get the money. Why should I spend money on a gift card and then the card may never be used? I may never even know about it. I know they are going to cash my check..;)
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/24/2013 4:25:14 AM
If the card is lost or whatever , the corporation has the money.

They give the buyer a receipt with a number on it so you can notify them and it gets reissued or refunded.
SAVE the receipt.
I wouldn't want my personal check info out there myself. What if that's lost?

I can't believe how many people use a holiday to whine, piss & moan in self-pity about having to give or receive

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/24/2013 8:55:23 AM
+1 peppermint...whine, piss and moan in self pity...what a sad, sorry lot.
Happy Festivus to all...place your grievances here....
 Dobermonster
Msg: 30
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/24/2013 11:12:42 PM
Meh, we all whine and complain about something or another. It's the great human pastime! If we tried to repress it who knows what could happen? Might start bleeding from the eyes or something. I, for one, am not willing to risk it.

Gift cards are one of the worst gift ideas. It's cash, but not as good as cash. It shows no intimacy or effort. That being said, a gift is still a gift and should be treated with grace and gratitude. Nobody's obligated to buy anyone a present, so have some ****ing holiday cheer!
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 31
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/25/2013 1:16:22 PM
I love gift cards (from friends and family) to places I like to go, especially restaurants. With that said, I would not want a gift card from my man, if I had a man....nor would I give my man, if I had man, a gift card as a present.
*************************Happy Holidays**************************
 SngleNarlington
Msg: 32
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/25/2013 9:02:45 PM
I can’t remember the last time I even used cash to purchase something. Mostly I use my debit card and the cash in my wallet has been there for months. I agree that cash is king but I do like gift cards and I am conscious of the person’s desires before I purchase and give it to them.

I would give a gift card to a woman I was dating but it would be one gift among other more personal gifts. I proudly admit that I’m a gift card giver!
 TooShadows
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Gift cards are a SCAM!
Posted: 12/26/2013 11:00:30 AM
I'm a hard person to buy for,so I'll take a gift card anytime. Restaurant cards are great because I can then take my family out. I don't give a lot of cards,my girlfriend being the exception,unless I know she needs something. Usually she gets a card from a clothing store as she's hard to fit(being so tall) so she can pick out something that fits better.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Gift cards are a SCAM!