Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Johnny Fearless
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Dominican Republic or Cuba?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Did you end up going to Blue Bay Villas? I just came back from there last month, I thought it was pretty good.

I've been to both Cuba and the Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata and Punta Cana), and they're both great places with wonderful people. I think the only major difference between the places for me was the food.. there's less variety and quality in Cuba, but there's always something to eat :)
 An Optimist...
Msg: 23
Dominican Republic or Cuba?
Posted: 11/30/2008 4:56:16 AM
I'm with HAZELEYES.......I'd take Cuba over the DR any day... I've been to the DR 3 times and Cuba 7 times....

As for Cuba I like the Playa Costa Verde in Holquin or KH Krystal in Cayo Coco..

I'd love to get down for a week sometime in early January.... just need a partner in crime to join me........
 Atlas1974
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2008 1:09:01 PM
I'd choose Cuba in a split second... the Dominican is nice.. but too touristy... and sure Cuba has that too.... but Cuba has the history... and.. the music... Everyone seems to go to the Domincan these days...

Actually I'd probably skip both of them and head to the coast of Venesuela... to Isla Margarita... it is supposed to be amazing... and not nearly as many North American tourists go there yet...

If you do go to the Dominican.. and are someone who likes all the stuff you mentioned.. and Motorcycling too... check out "motocaribe.com" they are a group who takes you on a guided tour to some cool places in the Domican and you do it from the back of your own motorcycle... (a Suzuki vstrom 650) they include the maintenence, acomidations most of the food etc... it sounds really cool...

If I ever go to the Domincan, I think I would check it out... and no, I have no association with them.. it just looks like a cool trip to take if you only have a week or so and don't want to do the typical do nothing except sit at the trough and have drink and food forced down your throat for a week all inclusive thing that many do.
 want to travel
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2008 9:11:48 AM
CUBA, people are proud, there is a minimum standard of living, good education, and health care, goooo cuba!!!
 normaldude
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2009 5:52:17 PM
has cuba just setup a new tourist peso? it is linked in value to the US dollar? Only for visitors? Wont this make it a bit expensive to stay there or buy things there?
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/8/2011 6:37:25 AM
I would so love to go to Cuba, despite all my Cuban friends telling me it is a craphole.

I lived on an island of Florida (Key West) that is 90 miles away from Cuba, & closer to Cuba than it is to the rest of the mainland USA, yet never got to go. Oddly, i hear rave reviews from people who have travelled there, but the local Cuban Community has not a lot good to say about it.

Once Cuba opens up to US travel though, i guarentee it will just become an extension of South Florida.

Could go through Canada i suppose.
 Yeahmon
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/8/2011 5:01:51 PM
After living 9 months in Santiago, Dominican Rep and flying to and from Cuba with my airline. I'd go with Dominican Rep due to scenery, food, value and the people. If you are a guy you will be in heaven with Dominican women, wow there are some very pretty ladies here.
 hblackstone
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2011 7:38:04 PM
I have read that if Americans show up in Cuba with peice of paper in their passport the Cuban imagration person will stamp the visa stamp onto the peice of paper, then after leaving the Ameirican can toss the paper so that there is no evidance that they were their. I have not tried this,. I may make a trip to the DR but now I am planing to do ywo months in Italy
 Bishopboat
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/18/2011 7:17:46 AM
There's a cop on every corner in Cuba so you dont have to worry about being mugged quite as much... I guess that's a good side of living in a police state?....
 Rodney M
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/10/2011 12:45:30 PM
Are you an American? How did you fly to cuba if so? Did they stamp your passport?
 normaldude
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2011 10:38:24 AM
my daughter and her best friend just got back from Camaguey and had a blast. The area is less developed than Varadero but is super cheap. Food, booze and resort were fine.
They flew all inclusive from toronto and paid 500 canadian each for one week. Booked thru sears travel. I have been to Varadero but will for sure check out Camaguey next time.
 hugoaguilar
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/18/2011 8:09:35 AM
I HAVE BEEN IN SO MANY COUNTRIES AND I DONT CHANGE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, THE POINT IS IF YOU KNOW THE COUNTRY YOU WILL ENJOY IT, DOMINICAN PEOPLE ARE VERY FRIENDLY, VERY HAPPY, THE DOMINCAN GIRLS ARE ALL WHAT A MAN CAN EXPECT FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP, VERY SMART WOMANSN HARD WORKERS AND IN THE BED THEY ARE SO HOT AND KNOW HOW TO PLEASE A MAN, CUBAN CULTURA YOU CAN TRUST NO ONE BECAUSE THAT THE WAY THEY ARE DEFINITLY DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 200%.
 Exquebecor
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/31/2011 4:21:50 PM
Defianley Cuba for the girls there everywhere and nice...have a good trip
Gary
 time2bcaught
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:27:32 PM
I know you are gathering information for you trip to DR or Cuba...
I'm just wondering if there are people out there who would love to travel ,but because they are alone never go. Has POF ever asked if people would be interested in a great holiday as a group? Just wondering. I see they do it for a dance.
 benscuba
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/14/2012 8:16:45 AM
I recently went scuba diving in the Dominican Republic and loved it! Inexpensive compared to the rest of the Caribbean and fun. I'd like to dive Cuba but until the US government pulls their head out of their collective asses, its hard for an American to travel to Cuba legally.
 katinahat
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/15/2012 10:57:35 AM
did villas dorada many years ago and it was very nice - have been looking at the brochures recently and it sounds about the same. there is a great golf course closeby and you can travel between resorts. a bit of a walk to the beach as it is a large resort but direct access.
where are you flying out of? did cuba 3 times out of toronto, same resort and had a great time -- staff were geared to making sure everyone had a good time. cant get there from the west coast without the extra flight. as with any vacation you take YOU with you so . . .
have recommended cuba to friends who have gone to veradero they thought the blau was awesome. what are you looking for--e.g. type of vacation, hookup? sports? local sights? bakeonthebeach? cuba is the home of dance in my mind but you cant make a mistake with any latin destination. especially these two choices.
also did mexico both oceans DR & Cuba leave it in the dust in my mind
kath dynamicinteriorsatshawdotca
 faith7177
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/22/2012 2:50:12 PM
Sounds like its 50 50 lol I may be going to DR so I will let you know my experience, I would love to go to Cuba mainly for the dancing. I think it would be a blast.
 deletedpost
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/13/2012 6:47:49 PM
I'd say cuba. ....
 IceFish Muirgheal
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/2/2012 11:17:22 PM
Oh my Dominican is so much better
 williamtwhite
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/6/2012 4:47:33 PM
just came back from the D R go to SOSUA down the road from PUERTO PLATA
 captnjimbo
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2012 7:01:08 PM
It's not really difficult to travel to Cuba. Just go there from another country. The Cuban immigration people won't stamp your passport. Or as in my case it's possible to crew on a Canadian's boat or maybe a boat from Austrailia, France, Germany etc. Take money so you don't use plastic, which can be traced.
 slp82
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2012 8:35:31 PM
Cuba is about 6,000,000 times better than the DR. I love stepping back in time in Cuba, and the lack of Americanization is refreshing. Not as much sanky panky as the DR too...as a single woman, that's nice to know there aren't going to be 6 different men, telling you how much they love you, on every corner you turn. I've been to Dr four times (Santiago, Sousa, Puerto Plata), and will be heading to Cuba for my 5th time (in less than two years!) in September. I just love it there.
 dannyhme
Msg: 51
Posted: 8/14/2012 4:58:39 PM
Cuba is amazing, visit Habana, Matanzas (Varadero/Cuevas de Bellamar), Pinar del Rio (Cuevas de Pinar Del Rio)
so much one can do - won't kill your wallet if you do your h/w
 Rebel_Forever
Msg: 52
Posted: 9/18/2012 10:14:27 AM
DR or Cuba ? That question is a no brainer,... it's without doubt Cuba by a mile.

I've been to both DR 3 times and Cuba ....well I lost count on how many times it's actualy been,..but it's close to 20 times I'm sure. + on a few of those trips I stayed for several months...been everywhere on that island and know it like the back of my hand,....speak spanish fluently and know many Cubans and some for over 10 years,...

Safest, nicest country in the world,..without corrupt police and without any kind of crime ,..... organized and street crime....non existant ! no hassles, no hustlers, no drugs.
Just friendly honest people, good wheater, cheap for almost everything....and a more just, and equal society than most without street rampant poverty and also without the few 1% of super rich oligarchs who would own everything and exploit the masses of poor peasants......here at least everybody is poor equal,....luxuries they don't have, but the nessessities of life is provided by their benevolent government free of charge,..Education, health etc.... CUBA SI all the way,...and Viva Fidel !
 DarDar3353
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/26/2012 12:09:16 PM
Hi, I have been to both destinations. Once to Dominican and twice to Cuba. Of the two, I LOVE CUBA! The beaches, and the people. Now the food is not the best, but you won't go hungry. ahhhh can't wait to get back there!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  >