Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chrylann
Msg: 56
view profile
History
anyone got any good tips 4 dieting?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I jump start losing weight by eating only raw fruits and vegetables and water for a couple of days. This will cleanse the impurities, and give you the jumpstart you need. I suggest not going on a "diet", but eating the things you like, just less of it.
 Elegabalus
Msg: 60
anyone got any good tips 4 dieting?
Posted: 1/26/2008 9:26:02 PM
Some of these could be repeats of others but here are some tips:

-Write things down. Keep a log of what you are eating.
-Watch portions and try to change your habits. IE: if you are a carb hound try reducing your carb intake a little and concentrate on areas you are lacking (ie: protein).
-Don't go overboard and eat too little. Your metabolism could drop and cause you to store fat.
-Take a day off. Take a day and try to rid yourself of some weekly cravings. If you've been craving chocolate all week then have a chocolate bar at the end of the week (but i'd avoid calling it a reward... rewarding yourself with food leads to bad habits). By denying yourself completely you're more likely to fail.
-Watch the sneaky stuff. This includes what your food is cooked with (fats and oils), serving sizes and servings per container. Just because something is individually wrapped doesn't mean it is one serving (been burned there).
-Drink 8 cups of water a day, have 2 servings of dairy, and 5 servings of fruit and vegetables.
-Find support and/or people to do it with. The people you associate with will be a path to failure. You have to keep your willpower strong when socializing with your friends, family, and coworkers.
-Exercise.
 gollfrr22
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/27/2008 1:51:53 PM
Scorpio makes a great point...treat your body like a sports car,,,the better the fuel you put in it the more efficient it runs,,,gotta feed the body to burn calories,,,I eat atleast 6 meals a day and stay very lean,,,there are some good fat burning over the counter products that will help also, but you have to feed the body.
Jerry
 suzie74
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/1/2008 5:21:44 PM
You should be eating at least 6-7 times a day. Small meals. High protein, low sugar and low carbohydrates. Eat a lot of veggies and fruit. And whatever you do, don't eat 3 hours before you go to bed!!
 TrulyStephanie
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 12:29:48 PM
I have lost weight a couple times throughout my adult life, and never really seemed to keep it off... Not until I had participated in a local community program (offered through the local hospital/wellness center) called the "LEARN" program, it was a program of 12 or 16 weeks of learning about how our bodies use foods, the nutritional aspect, the daily requirements, it's emotional and physical effects, and a few basics that really changed my eating habits were...

1) You have to really want/be committed to change your present weight/eating habits.
2) You have to realized that the basic formula for losing weight is less calories in/more energy out...
3) You have to understand/believe that it's not a temporary change in your lifestyle, it is something you have to change permanently, and understand that it takes time to form new habits, new healthy habits. If you don't make it a permanent lifestyle change, the weight will creep back on...
4) You have to stay conscious of, and make a plan, use a note book, a journal, write recipes, record food (in put) & physical activities (out put).
5) You have to be kind to yourself, and forgiving when/if you veer off your plan.
6) Acknowledge that you (& others) have times when you (or they) loose sight of the goal, understand that, and start back on your lifestyle changes, the next meal, the next day... whatever the time frame may be...
7) If you follow number 6, You'll eventually loose sight less often... and have an easier time identifying the reasons/situations that cause you to loose sight
8) Your body needs food (fuel) in order to survive... It helped when I thought of my body/metabolism as a fire place/furnace, you have to feed a fire place/furnace in order for it to maintain heat... So does your body need to be fed to maintain it's health. If you feed a fire too much at one time it will go out, be smothered, and if you feed it to little, it to will burn through it's fuel too soon. In other words, if you don't eat the proper nutrtional value and amount, your body will not be able to keep your energy/matabolism going...
9) If you've struggled with weight for many years, there's usually an emotional attachment, event, or circumstance... sometimes called a "trigger" that sets us off... (I had to really search through my own issues to be able to see which ones were attached to using food as a way to___________ . (everyone has to fill that blank in for themselves...).

Long story short, for me it was a coping skill of "feeling" out of control... I used food to give me a false sense of control, and until I realized it... nothing changed, until now, and I have lost 32 pounds, and still losing...

I have this little theory about the "baggage" (or issues) we all have, sort of like a suit case of clothing, and if we don't periodically take things out and see if they "fit" any longer, we'll never get to a point of being able to "pack neatly or lightly"...

I have had examined a piece of my so called "clothing" (issue) in my own "baggage" to see if it still fits... and happily this one involving my "food" issue doesn't... it just doesn't fit any longer, I have no use for it. That, along with the real clothing that I'm not able to wear anymore (yippeeeee)... I'm not holding onto any longer...

I am sincerely sorry to have this be so long...
I'm hoping by sharing my story it is helpful, if even to just one person...

Life... doesn't have to be so hard... I try to "pack" lightly...
God Bless.
 TrulyStephanie
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 12:59:37 PM
Just to list a couple of the other "tips" I use to keep my focus on my new life changes...

When making supper and I'm starving... instead of being tempted to eat what I'm cooking, (you know all those little bites of "just tasting")... I make sure I have cut up veggies ready in the fridge, I put them in the little sandwich bags so I know how much I'm consuming... (celery sticks, cucumber slices, cauliflower, broccoli florets, cherry tomatoes, pickles)

If I know I'm going to be out and it's going to cut into my meal times, (I use to go very long periods of time without eating) I pack a yogurt, or yogurt smoothie, a little baggy of nuts, whole wheat crackers, a cheese stick... Instead of running through a drive through, I've been known to run into the super market and buy two hard boiled eggs (red beet eggs, in my area) to fill in the times when I'm going to miss a meal...

I make menus, easy lists of what I need, and do the prep work ahead of time... (I know it takes so much time to prep these things, but, it really helps me to wash, cut, separate the food items when I get home from the store. When I get a hunger attack, I have it all ready, even cuts down on the fridge, to stove, to table time)

I keep hydrated... I keep bottles of water in the car at all times... (and this time of the year they are real cold !)

I find there is real truth to eating a good source of protein with every meal, it keeps the "satisfied" feeling with me for so much longer. Same goes for the whole grains...

The biggest tip from my own experience that I can really offer is...
Find out what food means to you, and if you need to... Change the meaning...
 cobraracing44
Msg: 76
Posted: 2/25/2008 9:03:43 PM
I'M GETTING THE NEW DIET TREATMENT, EVER HEARD OF EAR STAPLING? THAT'S WHAT I'M GETTING TOMORROW.
 coffee90871
Msg: 78
Posted: 2/26/2008 10:08:41 AM
Never go on a starvation diet! Let's say you weigh 160 lbs. You go on a starvation diet without workingout or anything and you lose 20 lbs but becuase your not workingout and eating enough protein to support your muscles you lose 10 lbs of fat and 10 lbs of muscle. Ok you gain 15 lbs back but it's all fat. You are 155 lbs now so your 5 lbs lighter but on the flip side you a really fatter than before because you have more body fat! My advice would be to workout and cycle your carbs. What i mean by cycle your carbs is on day eat 200 carbs,the next day 175 carbs,and the next day 150 carbs. Do this cycle twice a week and one day eat as many carbs as you'd like(within reason of course 300-400). Don't worry about calories,don't worry about fat grams, just concentrate on your carbs and i promise in one month you'll lose 10-20lbs. You don't have to join a gym and kill yourself but you must do some kind of workout! Keep me posted on how you do. Good luck!
 Sassy_Jezebel
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/26/2008 11:36:48 AM
As boring as it may sound...weighing your food can make a huge difference...It's amazing how a weighed serving of meat..pasta or whatever else can show us how much we really over-eat...After a while you'll get to know what a portion size looks like so you can just eye-ball it....Water is also a biggie...Aside from all the other benefits you get from water...you'll also find you can lose up to 5 or more pounds of stale water weight alone in the first week or two because it will flush you out...I know it's not fat..but why hang on to all that extra poundage regardless of what it is..and it will give you momentum to stick to your diet when you feel the results....Just be prepared to pee alot in the first week or two also...lol..
 sherilyn70
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/26/2008 12:15:57 PM

As boring as it may sound...weighing your food can make a huge difference...It's amazing how a weighed serving of meat..pasta or whatever else can show us how much we really over-eat.

I agree, I use a scale all of the time. Ironically though I found when I started weighing portions that I was eating far less than I thought and had probably been depriving my body of nutrients.
 kaiserqueen
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2008 7:35:08 PM
ear staplimg? whats that
 junipermoon
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2008 7:57:55 PM
i used to go to an acupuncturist who would tape these little black beads to different spots on my ears. they would hit certain pressure points that would help me sleep better. maybe the 'ear stapling' does something similar with appetite control.
 satx78218
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2008 11:09:25 AM
'Actually popcorn is quite healthy, as its a whole grain"

The only thing good about popcorn is the indigestible roughage.
Otherwise, it's empty, high-glycemic carbs. (but I like it!)

The butter, IF grass-fed organic butter, would be the most nutritious, even healthy and therapeutic, part of buttered popcorn.

Put a couple cloves of fresh crushed garlic in the butter to make it really delicious. After crushing, let the garlic air for 20 minutes. And of course, no salt.

And throw out all of your corn oil. It's industrial crap high in pro-inflammatory omega-6, and low in healthful omega-3.
 kylewa
Msg: 89
Posted: 4/30/2008 7:28:01 PM
Fish, chicken, and salad....

Not a diet but a life style change ...and I promis you will loose weight if this is all you ever eat....oh yeah and try to go for walks.
 t-razz
Msg: 90
Posted: 5/1/2008 6:04:52 AM
I've lost and gained hundreds of lbs over the years. I lost 50 lbs in the past 4 years and kept it off. Some of the things I did:

Used www.sparkpeople.com to keep track of food, exercise, nutrients and goals as well as supply a support network.

Had another support group online through yahoo. groups and check in daily when things were hard (or crow when things went great to be motivation to others).

Used Michael Thurmond's Six Day Plan to kick start my weight loss and it totally took care of the carb addiction and evening munchies for me. I did it twice in the 4 years and it helped me to lose a total of 20 lbs and get me going on a more healthy way to eat.

Made sure I drank enough water and used herbal teas with stevia as sweetener in the evenings when I was craving food I didn't need.

Kept crap out of the house that I shouldn't eat.

Lost weight slowly and let my body maintain the new weight as my "normal". In the past I lost weight fast and it would just come right back. I didn't keep the "diet" changes and stopped exercising and the weight came back. Now I let my new lifestyle sink in over time before tackling the next goal weight.

Looked at my emotional motivations to stay heavy. I used weight to insulate me from my problems, food to fill me up instead of looking for more rewarding things to do. I ate with friends as a social thing and would just mindlessly stuff...now I pay attention to why I'm eating and stop the minute I've had what I need.

Exercised, exercised, exercised. The more muscle you put on, the less you have to deprive yourself. Strength training really helps too and if you've not developed your upper body it is a hidden gold mine for building muscle that will burn calories 24 hrs a day. (Fat burns little, it is just a storage mechanism.)

Found activities I love. I love to skate and could do it daily. Swim if you like that. Hike or play frisbee. Walk your dog. Walk with friends. Get the support of someone for activities. It will make you enjoy what you do because of the social element and you'll feel more like doing it if you think you'd be letting someone down.

I forgave myself...if I slipped up it wasn't the signal to give up. I dusted myself off and immediately got back at it. I took my time, was good to myself and got to my goal . You can too.
 cyberxen
Msg: 91
Posted: 5/1/2008 12:50:37 PM
I'll throw in my $.02 here...
1. Since your stated goal is the get healthier and more fit don't start off with a diet (except for pointer 2 below). The best place to start is by hitting the gym 3 days a week, for no more than 2 hours at a time. The idea here is to start building lean muscle mass. Maintaining muscle mass is "expensive" to the body from a calorie standpoint, and the more of it you have the faster your metabolism. The muscle is, in effect, a fat burning machine! Don't worry about getting "bulked up", being a female your estrogen levels will keep that in check. Weight train should be the focus, with 3 sets of 15 reps for each exercise. I know everyone tends to focus on cardio, but I guarantee you that the weight training is the more important component.

2. Don't eat products containing high fructose corn syrup! It is EVIL , loaded with empty calories, and it is in everything from soda to ketchup to pasta sauce. Read those labels!

3. NEVER judge your progress by hopping on the scale. The key thing to remember is that muscle weighs more than fat. As your muscles develop and tone it is likely that your weight will stay about the same for the first couple months even as you are getting slimmer and losing body fat like crazy! Most gyms will take your body fat readings for you if you ask, use that and a tape measure to judge your progress. Make sure to take pictures of yourself as you go too, so you can look back and keep yourself motivated.

After you have been at it for a month or two then it is time to start modifying your diet. Do it gradually, so it doesn't feel like a burden.

You do want to do some cardio, but make it fun! If running on a treadmill at the gym is boring, go out and hit the trails on your mountain bike or grab a friend to throw a frisbee with.

Just to give this advice some cred, I should note that I dropped 3 inches off my waist so far in only 5 months. While my weight is only 5 pounds less my body fat is at 9%

Hope that helps!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >