Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ShyCaringGuy
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Curvy Vs SlimPage 2 of 37    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37)
I remember a study done a few years ago about this exact thing, and you will generally get a different answer depending on which gender you ask.

In the study women generally saw a healthy curvy body as cuddly, while men saw it as perfect. What women saw as perfect, men felt was too skinny.

A recent study *yay for women* has also suggested that the bigger the hips are compared to the waste the naturally smarter a woman is.

as for a curvy bust, well, in my opinion there is such a thing as too much, specially when you risk suffercating yourself or your partner.
 BamaBob
Msg: 91
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/13/2007 7:14:30 PM
When she lays down beside me at night and those curves spill over on me I begin to lose interest. If I were a large person then I surely would be more empathetic with big people. I recall seeing my "curvy" mom go from near 200 to 140 and very attractive during the short time I was on active duty in the military. She did it with work and determination and was very happy doing it. I just hate to see overweight people who have the ability to lose weight not do so then whine with misery because they are bigger than they are comfortable with. I do know "attitude" has a tremendous part to do with many aspects of health and well being. I certainly wish I could keep a pleasant smile and great attitude...not always easy for many of us to do that.
 BamaBob
Msg: 94
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/13/2007 8:45:02 PM
Yep... I can definitely remember that two of the women I dated were BBW's and I was very proud to have them on my arm. Both were full of smiles and giggles and had super personalities. They definitely lit up my life! And, no, it wasn't about sex...it was about being with someone who liked me for me and showed me genuine attention and attraction. I've dated women 30 years younger and 10 years older and still have no preference when it comes to being comfortable and happy with any woman. I'm not a "playa" ...I've just got lots of mileage and experience and not really into promiscuity... I usually don't even try with a woman unless I feel the interest and I have the same in return. It simply is not about size or shape....those are just candy...not steaks!
But yep... I do a lot of posting here out of boredom!
 123lbTestLine
Msg: 96
What are the (arguable) Definitions of 'Curvy' vs 'Slim'
Posted: 12/13/2007 9:14:53 PM
And, why can you not have BOTH?

Think ;
Monica Brandt (Monica Brant)
Tyra Banks
Dawn Butterfield
Michelle Popowicz

Athletic, Fit, Active... That is SEXY!!!
 that sam i am
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/14/2007 12:32:29 AM
Now Rosanne Barr Arnold is NOT curvy, she is Fat
Rosie O'donnell is NOT curvy - that's FAT

Curvy is Scarlett Johansson
or Jessica Biel
or Monica Belucci
 6dutchman6
Msg: 98
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/14/2007 12:41:03 AM
As long as the curves don't have folds
 vladtepes97
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2007 1:29:51 PM

Wow !!! It seems as if slim women are taking the bashing in today's society; the same as out-of-shape people took a bashing 10 or so years ago

in north america the mid-range of body types is curvy. bigger than that is chunking up into overweight and smaller than that is getting into the skinny realms. most people like the shape that most people fit into, and that's curvy. no matter what size she is, as long as a woman's waist is narrower than her shoulders or hips she'll probably be called curvy. of course, you're not going to find many obese women with waists smaller than their hips or chests, and you won't find many skinny women with any part of their body particularly prominent without surgery, so, most people in north american culture will prefer the curvy body.

it also matter on the culture you're in. in the caribbean we don't spend as much time obsessed about bodies, so there are plenty of big and very sexy women, and everybody knows it. in some african cultures they want skinny women with large hips for child-bearing.

in europe, which is very cosmopolitan, and physically connected to africa and asia, tastes run the gamut, but i bet, on a bell curve, the majority of preferences will fall into the curvy range.
 Love_on_Fire
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2007 5:02:43 PM
Curvy big time. I think 90% plus men if not all of them deep down inside would prefer curvy. I think curvy is way more defining of a womans body and the general physical and sexual appeal then a slim. The "slim look" when it comes to appearance in and off itself, is kind of dated. It still surprises me that people think that being thin and slim is the best look on a woman, when by definition, a womans look is defined by her curve, her butt-hip definition and how her chest/chest is build, bigger always the better as they say.

Slim, I think for both genders for whatever reason gives the impression of weakness or moodiness. They say short skinny men are moody alot..well from what I read on here and in profiles in general, and from other places, that is even more so true for thin/slim women. I don't know but to mopst men I think, thin/slim equals small breast and small(er) butt which tend to go against the classical definition of a "womanly body". I definately prefer curvy as I think almost every guy would, lol we don't want our ladies to look like skinny short men lol, so the curvy look brings a more feminane appearance. Maybe thats also why some of the slim/thin/slender ladies may appear sometimes to be bitter or upset, maybe they know that curvy is more of an appealing type to most/almost all guys out there and they may get self-consious because of their accompanying smaller breast and butt size, especially consider that big breasts and a nicely defined, well build butt are an enormous selling point for women, for those who do not to posess those qualities , this may create some insecurites in some of them.

To each their own I guesse, but I am totally more for the curvy look.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 mcbobly
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/14/2007 9:13:49 PM
I'm more a fan of the Marilyn Monroe type or the stockier figure, but slim is ok too.
 northeast25
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/14/2007 9:52:11 PM
Curvy can mean anything from a great figure, somewhat busty, BBW, or morbidly obese.

I don't think curvy means BBW or morbidly obese. Curvy is having nicely shaped breasts and butt, not rolls of excess body fat.
 bluewyngs_
Msg: 111
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/15/2007 3:52:10 AM
Hey TOPAZBUTTERFLY
I think you are the most adorable kind of person. I wanted to email you but your profile doesn't accept U.S. emails. Send me one so I can reply--I'd love to have such a cool Aussie friend!
 simplicity42
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/15/2007 7:21:19 AM
I've always been Curvy, I've never had a problem with it. It's just the way I am. Even when I loose weight I still have a Curvy shape....So, it's all good....
 northeast25
Msg: 114
'Curvy' vs 'Slim'
Posted: 12/15/2007 9:11:48 AM
All I can say I wow....What would we do without the shallow minded?

People simply answered the question that was stated. It doesn't mean that a man would date a woman ONLY because of her body type or a man wouldn't date a woman with a body type that is somewhat different than his ideal body type.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 115
'Curvy' vs 'Slim'
Posted: 12/15/2007 10:12:47 AM
I shoot for slim with diet and exercise but I do seem to have a lot of men (friends or otherwise) beg me not to please get too slim, or emphasize they think I'm fine where I am. Luckily I can bust my azz in the gym and it's just not going to be genetically possible to look like a 12 year old boy, but I am VERY obsessed with staying in the weight/size range for my height and frame. I shoot for staying in 3/4, but in my head if I sort of "whoops!" - wind up in a 1/2 I won't be dissapointed. I just feel like I'd have more room to move if I feel like I want to pig out (LL Cool J taught me that one).

I guess this thread taught me I should relax about that a little...huh? Ok then. I'll work on appreciating the curves. Thanks guys!
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/15/2007 11:38:37 AM
I've had a child and I'm only 1 maybe 2 sizes larger than I was in highschool. But I have NO idea where I fit on these scales...I'm not"skinny" (my ribs and hip bones don't stick out), I'm not really "curvy"... I'm 5'4", 120lbs... I haven't done this lately but last time I did I was 34-27-36, and can wear a size 3 - 7 depending on the manufacturer and cut of the clothing. I'd like to think I'm average for my bone structure and height but I get a lot of comments from other women about how"skinny" I am.

I don't FEEL skinny though. "Skinny" to me is so thin that there are no gentle curves of musculature. Anorexic...

I don't know...I'm healthy, that's all that really counts.
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 126
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/17/2007 12:38:31 AM
Wonderful thread and I'm not surprised it was posted by a 19 year old with a great body. At 19, I gave this topic alot of thought, too.

Even at 35, I'm still surprised guys like curvy rather than Paris Hilton physique. Females tend to grow up thinking "must be skinny-must be skinny-must be skinny." Meanwhile guys are all about the Marilyns. Females are the ones wishing for the bony look even though we know better. Plus, I've started to notice the few guys wanting skinny chicks are the toolbags who pose with pictures of their cars or lake house or have that "I'm all about me" look.
 that sam i am
Msg: 127
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:32:07 AM

in some african cultures they want skinny women with large hips for child-bearing.
God knows that they can afford to feed all those children on the Foreign Aid that we keep giving them. Glarg!
 vladtepes97
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/17/2007 8:24:42 PM
slim means normal build before the exercise tapes come out, not fat and not thin. if
some look like brooms or skeletons
, then that's not slim. that's magabones, that's skinny, also known as bony. slim people don't usually have flat bellies. they have a bit of a bump.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 134
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/18/2007 2:07:32 PM

slim girls have a flat tummy for instance curvy girls dont.curvy girls on the whole are more busty,slim girls wear short skirts and look good,bigger girls legs look like a snooker table in them,depends on what you like.

I hate to be the bad news fairy here, but I'm definitely curvy and I have a VERY flat tummy. I work out. I don't allow gravity to take over, the twins are still perky and I have a well-rounded back-side. It doesn't happen by accident, I stay this way by eating appropriately, and working out to keep things where they should be. I generally weigh 103-105 pounds, but am a large C breast size (naturally) but my waist is only 22 inches (on a fat day.) Someone may think that is unusual, but most of my tiny women friends are all curvy. There are three testimonials on my profile of this exact truth ~ all older than I am, all stunning figures, all tiny. Not all tiny women are flat chested, nor do all resemble Gumby. That is just silliness.
 Hot Buttered Soul
Msg: 136
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/18/2007 2:29:14 PM
Really skinny is gross.. really fat is gross.

Every man loves a little curve..

But from talking with my male friends.. almost all would prefer a woman who is curvy over a skinny woman.. almost to a man.

But then.. Ive seen women of every shaoe and size that can be sexy..

Sexy is an attitude.. a confidence.. a state of mind... a way of being ...a..a...a...a you get the point!
 Spider Woman
Msg: 137
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/18/2007 5:02:51 PM
I just have to throw my two cents in here....
I used to be HUGE!!!!
Lost a shitload of weight and have managed to get into a beautiful, hourglass shape.
Have also been told I look like a Goth Marilyn Monroe type..
Massive rack, small waist, big butt....
However, it seems as though this physique combined with intellect and confidence is very intimidating to men.
So, if so many like curvy, smart, single women that have never married and have no kids...Why the Hell am I alone ???
lol
Oh wait, maybe it's the intolerance of idiots or the 140 tats that throws them off...haha
Happy holidays to the toothpicks, average beans and chunks alike.
 jf468
Msg: 139
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/18/2007 7:51:01 PM
In Ruben's time, what are today called plus-size,
ample-bodied, full-figured, or pleasingly plump, were considered very
attractive, if not the most sought after of all women.

The problem is many women who call themselves "plump", "a few extra pounds" or "full figured" are actually obese. Also why do some people bring up what is considered to be attractive in other countries or what was considered to be attractive many years ago. Just because something was different 100 years ago, it doesn't necessary mean that it was better back then. Just because something is different in another country, it doesn't necessary mean that it is better in that other country.
 totum_spirit
Msg: 144
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/19/2007 8:49:48 PM
The key here is a man has his own taste in what he thinks is attractive. The problem is on the internet too many women lie about their size...So now when I read ANYTHING about their body type I don't believe it anymore even with pictures. I have met a few that their picture was great but in real life they had a whole adult stuck under their skin....would take 2 seats for them to sit down...does the word ..MMMMOOOO mean anything to you? I have met some that said slim but they looked like they were sick with some deadly disease ...there is skinny and slim and then there is the unhealthy look like alot of the hollywood females...too much weight gone and you look BAD. I'll say this alot of the hollywood female actors do not look that good with out make-up even alot of the super models no make-up and it is a shock to see them that way. You have to remember all those photos are touched up with a computer to make them look their best and hide the things that are normal on anyones skin. Actors they have hours for make-up to be put on before the shooting starts.

It is just like me some women find me attractive others don't everyone has their own taste in what is attractive to them. That is like the Glamor Shots I see those and right away it crosses my mind .."What does she really look like?"...
 Spider Woman
Msg: 145
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/19/2007 8:56:47 PM
"would take 2 seats for them to sit down...does the word ..MMMMOOOO mean anything to you?" quoted from totem-

Nice pal....bet you're not getting much action with comments like that. You don't look like you turned down too many doughnuts yourself.lol
 DemonLeather
Msg: 146
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 12/19/2007 9:39:13 PM
I like ALL women,.. but my preference is curvy. I've gone out with a WIDE spectrum of women, and find I seem to go for the ones with the "curvy minds" as well. I love a curvy lobed woman (the more convoluted the brain, the higher, more well developed her thinking is..in theory) I've talked to women who were definately NOT model types, and got fuzzy twinges just by the way they think, and what they say. I even state in my profile,"if you're a model-type, you'd BETTER have a mind", because frankly it gets tiring looking at somone... and that's it. Some guys just HAVE to have that "eye candy" and don't give a rat's-behind if she can talk, or has to call and ask someone where she lives. Even if she's really thin, if she has a great mind, I would probably go out with her (BUT, you can bet I'd be pushing PLENTY of pieces of that decedent SAM'S club restaurant-style oober-calorie cheesecake on her every chance I got!
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >