Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rustytalent
Msg: 587
view profile
History
Curvy Vs SlimPage 7 of 37    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37)
"I find it hard to work out what is curvy or fat, they say the average size in the uk is now 14-16 thats why ive put average on my profile though even considered putting a few extra pounds. I am classed as over weight but size 14-16 all shops now sell, and to me a little extra tummy, though most of my fat is on my chest wouldnt be fat, or would it? becuase then your putting the size 14 in the same catergory as size 24."

I would say rolls of fat means fat. I don't know if that is simplifying things. I know plenty of larger people who are 'firm' and in decent shape. But there are people who are 'sloppy' fat. I feel bad using these terms, but that's kinda how I see it.

I personally associate the term 'curvy' with voluptuous. And I think voluptuous is VERY sexy. But it's not the same as being 'fat' and definitely not the same as being obese. It's doesn't come across as looking unhealthy either.
 fixitfred
Msg: 588
view profile
History
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/11/2008 5:45:15 PM

There are enough curves that you can have a great time driving around the corners of my speedtrack.

You can say whatever you want but without pictures it may be a warning sign that the track may be run down and dilapidated. It may even be a huge oval with no hairpin turns.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 592
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/11/2008 6:50:39 PM

People just need to accept that their preferences may not meet with the approval of others - So What! Who Cares?

I agree that people will like what they like, and it doesn't matter if someone doesn't like you, it's just the nature of dating. There's someone for everyone, so to speak...and someone else will. We should all try to focus more on those who are into us and less on those who don't.

I also agree that everyone has a totally different idea of what thin, athletic, curvy, and overweight are. That's what makes the world go round, we're all different.

I don't agree with being less than tactful or purposely insulting those you don't find attractive or want to date - regardless of body size, I mean, what's the point of that?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 594
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/11/2008 7:02:46 PM

ugly I agree with almost everything you said with the exception of focussing on those who are into us. Now maybe you meant if we are into them as well, but I can't focus on somebody who is into me, if I am not into them.

I didn't mention that because I assumed most would know that was a given it should be mutual and work both ways.
 catman40
Msg: 597
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/12/2008 6:30:52 AM
My ex-girlfreind was skinny . " Just " because she was skinny . SHE thauhgt she could get anything . After maxing out 5 credit cards . I said NO MORE . NOW if she is 175 . YES BABY . My boss , his wife WAS 120 . she asked him " do I look fat " with his nose in the sports page he said no. when she was 145 . she asked him again . AND he said no . when she was 185 . she asked him he said " You don't look fat " SO mad . SHE made a date for the two meet . ( I told her " if YOU were MY wife . I would be wanting you 24/7 " ) telling her husband that . he told her . You don't appeal to me . she told him THAT IS IT . NOW YOU LISTEN . YOUR BROTHER HAS A CABIN UP NORTH AND YOU AND I ARE GOING THERE THIS WEEKEND . he told her could not get away . she told him " you make the time or that temp guy in production and I will " he said yes . monday . the office rumor mill woman were talking . they told me . " go pat your boss on the back . He is very sore from the weekend " I wish it was me having the fun .
 platypus_man
Msg: 604
view profile
History
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/13/2008 2:53:23 PM

curvy and fat

http://shinymedia.headshift.com/images/photos/uncategorized/retroswim2.jpg

IMO these women aren't fat. Maybe they are slightly overweight, but they are still good looking.

Those women are overweight, but could still fit the description of 'curvy'. Note the difference between upper torso, waistline, and hips. The problem rises when people who are 'round' feel they also are 'curvy'. I guess round has a curve in it, but it really stretches the description, much the same as a guy who weighs 500 lbs with a huge belly that plays golf can call himself athletic because sumo wrestlers are considered athletes and golf is considered a sport. Yet, no one in their right mind would describe a typical sumo wrestler's build as 'athletic'.
But in the end, there is someone for everyone. There are just far less of them as you get further away from a normal figure. Note, I didn't say 'average' figure. Because in america, obese is now the average, and that isn't 'normal'. So, yes, if you are on POF, and are obese, you can now say that you are average. Much to the chagrin of the rest of the normal folks, who now have no way to describe themselves or appear in a correct search. Makes doing a search meaningless at this point.
 celts123
Msg: 614
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/18/2008 10:22:54 AM
I have dated women from many different body types. Slim, athletic, average, curvy, a few pounds overweight etc. The only body types that are turn off to me are obesity and being extremely skinny.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 627
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/20/2008 9:07:43 AM

Men just don't know what effect their words will have on certain women. This is because they are male and NOT female. Only through listening and really hearing can understanding be brought forth. One of the good reasons for these forums :)

I say tread lightly on those words,, I works both ways,, it's "some" woman as well..

It really is how confident we are as a person, that will make us stand tall, and disregard what other say about us.. If our goal in life is to be accepted by all,, we will fail.. therefore, It really doesn't matter what other people think of us.. If they are ignorant, that is normally with out malice,, it is because they have lacked a skill of accepting people for who they are,, Now I would think,, it's up to the non ignorant people to help enlighten those people you feel are ignorant, in a nice way,, if not you become just a ignorant, because your unwilling to accept there fault of ignorance..
 Refinedsillyguy
Msg: 637
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/21/2008 12:03:32 AM
it all depends on a person perspective of slim, and curvy.. everyone will have different tastes.. i prefer small petite girls, but not anorexic...small, petite, with shape still....a woman's curves tend to define a woman...just as a mans defines his....
 celts123
Msg: 649
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/23/2008 12:09:05 PM
People get so angry about being labeled "shallow". Shallow means without depth or overly concerned with the obvious (ie, looks). Being shallow doesn't make one a bad person--it makes them average. This is a shallow world.

IMO a shallow person ONLY cares about looks, money, materalistic items etc. People who care about looks / physical appearance among other things such as intelligence, personality, compatibility etc. aren't shallow. For most people, there needs to be at least some physical attraction in order for a relationship to be successful.
 celts123
Msg: 654
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/23/2008 3:19:40 PM
I didnt word my post clear enough because you misunderstood me. I was agreeing with the person who said we shouldnt date on looks alone. It was the post ahead of me suggesting people need the physical attraction I was disagreeing with.

I never stated that a relationship should based on just looks. I basically stated that looks is one component. If I meet a nice woman that I'm not attracted to. Then I would have a platonic relationship with her.
 aoakley08
Msg: 655
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/23/2008 3:49:14 PM
LOVE THIS QUOTE..... But this is coming from some one who is curvy, or volumptous, or Phat in some guys eyes (and girls).... Thats why my cell has downloads.. like 'Fat bottom girl' , Baby Got Back, It takes all kinds to make the world go round....and I make the rocking world go round... Oh, is a size 14, BAD Thing... cause I must of missed that some where....
 fixitfred
Msg: 656
view profile
History
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/23/2008 5:40:42 PM

Oh, is a size 14, BAD Thing... cause I must of missed that some where....
This is the kind of defensiveness where there is no attack that makes one believe you should be on the offensive.
 PorlBearah
Msg: 658
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 5/24/2008 11:55:29 AM
I have to say most of my associates/ friends and acquaintances all seem to have specific types. Some like slim, some like thick, some like big girls. I personally don't have a preference. As long as a woman carries what she has well, everything is proportionate and she is confident in that then I can and will be attracted.

Too big is not appealing just as much as too skinny. but there are the odd stand alone's where a really slim woman may be packing and has a certain something about her look that draws you to her the same applies to thicker and big girls too.

This is my personal preference ...like I said most men have a specific type and dont deviate (the fools) lol.
 JustMary65
Msg: 668
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 6/4/2008 3:55:27 PM
{{Aaaah, variety is the spice of life! Curvy, slim, short, tall, I just love women. They don't necessarily love me, but that's another story. I try to live by the saying, "if I can't lift them, I can't love them." But on the other hand, I'm a pretty strong guy! }}

That was one of the best giggles' this fat chick has had in a long while!!!! Yep, I said fat, cuz that is what I am. Darlin, if you tried to lift me I think you'd have a coronary!

I have to say, I think too much focus is put on LABELS. I don't hide anything-what you see is what you get. The thing with online dating in particular, is that people tend to only show pics that will enhance or hide certain aspects of their body they want others to see or not to see. I got such an email that showed a really attractive woman but was a face shot only...then as you scrolled down they showed the entire picture of the young lady...and she was a big gal.

Now, in defense of the guys on dating sites...they are lured in by headshots that boast a very attractive face and they start talking and before long they want to meet this person only to discover instead of Pamela Anderson they just met Shamu. Now, that type of deception hurts not only the man, but the woman as well. If you are ashamed of your body what makes you think that other's won't pick up on that. Size does matter....and I know a lot of men who prefer a woman of average size vs a woman whose obese, but not all men feel that way.

I have to say though, most men I have had sexual relationships have been either had thin or average builds and they enjoyed my company as much as I did theres...but I think it was more cuz I didn't bs anyone into thinking I was body beautiful. I think men tend to be more attracted to slim curvy women because their figures are most certainly appealing on a zillion levels, but I'm glad there is still a lot of men who like us soft mushy round women too. I just happen to have a lot more curves than the average curvy gal.
 heaight
Msg: 674
view profile
History
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 6/5/2008 8:30:26 AM
slim but she gotta be pretty curvy
otherwise ill take the hourglass thanks
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 676
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 6/5/2008 12:58:26 PM
Curvy's good, fat isn't. I'm curvy, but my body fat is a little less than 20 percent -- that's very good for an old lady like me.

Lift weights, walk, do yoga or pilates for flexibility, eat well, avoid junk and you'll be your optimal body size.

Curvy is a body type. It is NOT FAT.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 679
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 6/5/2008 6:47:50 PM

Curvy's good, fat isn't. I'm curvy, but my body fat is a little less than 20 percent -- that's very good for an old lady like me.

Lift weights, walk, do yoga or pilates for flexibility, eat well, avoid junk and you'll be your optimal body size.

Curvy is a body type. It is NOT FAT.

I agree with everything you said here...I think all women are their own definition of curvy and sexy at their most fit (and that differs from woman to woman, but what matters is not your weight so much as your healthiest body size).
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 682
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 6/6/2008 6:38:21 AM
These days a 6 equals a 10 from 20 years ago, so a 6 is no where near tiny. As people in the US have gotten fatter the sizes have gotten bigger.

I can no longer find clothes that fit me except for some designers who don't do that. Otherwise I'm in a size 0 or 2 when I can find them. I'm 5'4" and 120 pounds, so I'm hardly "skin and bones".
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 684
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 6/6/2008 7:41:18 AM
just so you know, size 4-6 is pretty tiny.

I'm a size 4 and I am FAR from tiny, don't I wish...in all my pics I am a size 6 - luckily I'm not anymore...to me, tiny or slim is more a size 0-2 (especially for taller women). But what matters is that I am healthy...or that's what I keep trying to remember.

I was thinking the same as the poster above me (flyonthewall!), sizes 4 and 6 are much bigger than they used to be.
 Avalon Dreamer
Msg: 688
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 6/6/2008 12:59:22 PM
Ok a few things .....

There are 27 pages on this thread ....good lord

It has been done so many times.....way to many times

Why do we not question mens shape size and how they classify them selves ...????

WHY !! because women are smart enough to know that you have to MEET the person and take it from there . 5' 11 and 185 looks VERY different on many different men ....and 5'7 and 150 looks VERY different on many different women

The choices we have here to describe our body type are poor , innacurate and frankly offensive. I have no idea why we are asked to even answer that...when we are provided an option for 8 pics to upload...

This is a dating site - chat .....ask questions ...look at pics....decide to meet ...hit it off or not ....nail them or not ...be disappointed or thrilled at what they look like in person ..or not

But GAWD !!! stop over analyzing this topic to death .....

You should be choosing a mate who you can imagine your self as a little old person with and having a love and connection that bonds you when you are old wrinkeled ...saggy ...and gasp ..maybe a tad over weight. This is how I feel....who do I want holding me and talking to me ...when the looks have gone by the wayside ....because look around you - life moves pretty fast...and while your worring about how much extra some chick might have on her hips or belly - life and the woman you may fall in love with will pass you by

Besides - anyone over weight can slim down - ugly and stupid are forever.......

celts123
Msg: 704
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 9/28/2008 8:18:14 PM
There are attractive women from several different body types. Slim, curvy, athletic, average, slightly vverweight etc. The only body types that I'm not attracted to are obese, bony /anorexic, and women who are hard core body builders.
 OneMoreTimeWithFeeling
Msg: 714
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 9/29/2008 9:43:57 AM
Meh, whatever floats your boat. It's a good thing everyone doesn't have or want the same thing. How boring would that be? Just be happy with what your mama gave you and make it work for you. If you're not perfect in someone else's eyes, find someone that does find you perfect.
 phishkev
Msg: 718
view profile
History
Curvy Vs Slim
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:29:23 AM
Gotta say curves-women that are too obsessed with themselves that they are twigs just aren't for me. "Healthy", well that's all relative-moderation is in the mouth of the beholder (!)
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >