Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Does "free spirit mean irresponsible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AlienSecrets
Msg: 51
Does free spirit mean irresponsible?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
^^ Zactly!

Now - Lets go make snow angels or better yet have a snowball fight!! woohooo

A.S.is
 Elizabeth1234.
Msg: 52
Does free spirit mean irresponsible?
Posted: 12/15/2007 6:51:46 PM
I would consider myself to be very much a free spirit.. I am not looking for marriage.
I don't want a full time job that I dread going to daily, like some people do..

And I want to travel when I get the opportunity.. To be happy and enjoy life..

I'm not one that cares to follow the crowd!
 wendipeace
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/15/2007 7:11:32 PM
Wow, if anyone ever would have asked me if I was a free spirit, I think I would have answered yes. After reading all these posts, I am glad no one ever asked. I think of free spirit as not being afraid to dance in the middle of the dance floor, alone, just because you like the music. I definately think of it as creative and willing to stand up for your own beliefs, (usually liberal in nature). Very save the world and do it peacefully in nature.
Many of my friends in college were definately free spirits and some of them definately irresponsible. Me,no. Same job 18 years, totally devoted to two kids, definately unwilling to put myself as priority w/out considering the effect on others. It never occurred to me to think that the selfishness and irresponsibility were an attachment to the free spirit moniker.
After reading a few of these posts though, I can definately see why some people would put those things together. I guess, like any other stereotype, you need to look at each case independently. There are those out there who will support or contradict just about any perspective you choose to look at in any given expectation. As always, I would give someone the benefit of the doubt until you see something that points you in a negative direction. Thing is, who knows. We all see ourselves in a positive light (I hope) and lets face it, we are not all as great as we think we are. :). So, don't take my word for it, but get to knkow me (or him/her) for yourself and take it from there. Maybe though, with these posts under your belt, you will be better able to pick up on the clues and walk away less hurt or disappointed next time. Good luck.
 o0ochristinao0o
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/15/2007 8:55:24 PM
Ok I have in my profile written " I am a bit of a free spirit trying to get some stability" NO that does NOT mean I am irresponsible! Yes I have gone threw MANY jobs but I move or more so MOVED alot! I am very responsible and a very savory/respectful person. I am always early for things I never say I will do something and just don't! I don't think you can lump people into black and white catagories that easy, Not everyone is the same. We all use different terms to describe ourselfs as best we can but it should be open to interpretation. I don't follow the rules society lays out there for me and tend to just go where my heart takes me. Just because one person who is a so called free spirit screws around or treated someone bad doesnt mean every person who feels they are that way is the same!
Way to much judgment here!
 jimi77
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/15/2007 11:46:40 PM

tend to just go where my heart takes me.

that tends to be the danger of getting in to a realtionship with a free spirit.. if you fall for them and lay your heart out on the line you might get it busted because they tend to go where their heart takes them. In other word they tend to get bored easy and move on to the next big thrill ..
 ladydi8
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2007 3:28:54 AM
hey jimi! cant imagine anybody ever getting bored with a heart like yours! i still think you rock...even after all this time on here :)

as for free spirits..i have always been called on...but it didnt mean i neglected my responsibilities, nor that i loved my family and freinds less, nor that i didnt cherish committment when in a relationship.....it simply meant that i had no problem expressing myself, and that i wasnt swayed by public opinion...it meant a certain amount of freedom to be myself and to be non judgemental in how i viewed others around me...i am still that way..and its still a good way to be for me....
 jimi77
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/16/2007 4:42:11 PM
ladydi8 yours is a free spirit i can agree with.. you rock.
 o0ochristinao0o
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/16/2007 8:51:32 PM
ya well love is a gamble! I have to say though not all free spirits get bored... maybe with some things but we are all human and capable of loving! You have to risk getting hurt with any person not just a free spirit! Hearts get broken but the biggest risks are usually the ones worth taking!
 Aurora772
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/16/2007 9:11:20 PM
Yes, "free spirit" can be used like lipstick on a pig, to cover up existing personality deficiencies. I would even argue that most people use the term that way. However, for a few artistic souls, the term is accurately used. They are the ones who dare to "think different". They are often idealists unbound by convention. It follows then that free spirits can be politically conservative, especially in a world that requires political correctness at all costs.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2007 1:53:39 AM
I would say a free spirit is a person who is kind of spiritual and often hates conventions when it comes to relationships, calling, planning, and everything is in flux, they are not very commitment centered. They are non-conformists in a way that rejects labels, so you may not know what is actually going on with the person, and the person may resent you for being so demanding, perhaps. There is a difference between simply being spiritual and acting like a free spirit that rejects so many traditional ideas............ When someone is saying free spirit, what are they trying to free themselves from, I would wonder...
 Wolfie65
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/17/2007 8:27:58 AM
Babblefish translator sez : 'free sprit' = 'I'm gonna screw not just you'
 Chensa
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/17/2007 10:04:05 AM
Wow! I think I should be mad at my friends for calling me a free-Spirit. Apparently this is a bad thing of some report. According to most of the response from this post apparently my friends were calling me irresponsible, undependable and hmmm let's see also a slut! I think I will be writing a lot of angry letters tonight. They have called me a dirty name... :)
I am really none of the bad things described in the previous posts, but I am what I would consider a free thinker. I am not one to believe that because the social norm is insert social norm here is necessarily what I should do just because everyone else is. If I get the inkling that I want to go somewhere, I usually pass the idea along to the people I care about and we work from there. I am not running from anything... except the dogs but I think we are playing... Free spirit, as evidenced here, means a lot of things to a lot of people. Should it keep you from getting to know someone? I don't think so. I think you should see what they consider a Free Spirit before doing so. You may not have the same idea on what that means and you may miss out on meeting a really great person based on a misconception. :)

Okay... I am off to write those angry letters!
 867love
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/17/2007 10:07:41 AM
free spirit: favorite warm coat, full tank of gas, platinum credit card...
 Meface
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2007 11:04:22 AM
I call my self a free spirit and I'm a public high school teacher in LA. Not a CEO salary, but I pay all my bills. I would say I'm a divergent thinker. I'm liberal, I don't like Bush. I write novels and I read them by the bushelbasket. I like to sit in coffeehouses and discuss philosophy. I go to Druid meetings, and angel spirit guide meetings and other things mainstream people consider just plain weird. My favorite passtime is not cleaning the house. Although it's nice and neat, it's too dusty. I'd say a free spirit is NOT the Stepford Wife type. I'm what has been historically called 'bas bleu". A bluestocking. An intellectual or literary woman. Traditionally unmarriagable until the 1950s, but society has changed so much. My ex boyfreind admires me greatly. (Nice guy, just not in love.)
 valleyjavastop
Msg: 65
Posted: 12/17/2007 12:49:55 PM
free spirit ..always thought that was a hippy chick
 Davey_Baby
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/17/2007 1:57:49 PM
Some people will think that free spirit and irresponsible are the same because that is how the people who conform to a set of standards, thinks!

A free spirit is an English idiom that refers to a human being who feels unconstrained by convention; rather, the spirit of liberty is paramount to that person.

So then let's ask what liberty is: Liberty is generally considered a concept of political philosophy and identifies the condition in which an individual has the ability to act according to his or her own will.

So now we should get you posters to re-evaluate your posts if we can all agree that this is the meaning of free spirit, rather than our own special thoughts on it.
 grayloc
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/17/2007 3:20:40 PM

Free spirits can't be in a relationship.

wrong! free spirits can be in a relationship, they can also be responsible. it really depends on what the individual thinks 'free spirit' means. i call myself a 'free spirit' yet have a job and responsibilities. i'm also in a relationship. free spirits need to be with people of like minds. it's fair to say that someone who's morals, values and goals who are cemented in stone aren't going to get along with free thinkers. there's nothing wrong with either type person it's just they don't usually see eye to eye and that's where problems in relationships come in. my relationship is with another free spirit. we don't need to be attached to each other's side 24/7 yet the trust is there that we're true to each other. we both have goals, yet we're open minded enough to pick up at a moment's notice to do something spontaneous. being a free spirit isn't a negative thing unless the person's choices make it such.
 fr0gkiss3r
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/17/2007 3:53:11 PM
Some of you don't know what you're talking about! Some free spirits are irresponsible and some aren't. By calling myself a free spirit I mean that I'm not going to let anyone dictate how I should live my life. It doesn't mean, however, that I'm going to neglect my responsibilities. There's such a thing as striking a balance between independence and dependence - it's called interdependence. Why are some of the comments so black and white? It's such a narrow-minded viewpoint that doesn't go beyond an average level of intellect.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2007 7:18:35 PM
This doesn't necessarily mean a free spirit in the way people were posting about. You seem to be into a more open spirituality, but you don't seem to have this strong rejectionist view of things traditional, and that's what we're talking about. I think being free spirited in some ways is good in terms of being open-minded spiritually, but without being against everything traditional. Are you commitment minded? Do you know what you want?
 cocytus
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/17/2007 8:05:34 PM

A couple times I have responded to ads by women that promote themselves as "free spirits",what does that mean?
One was in her 40s working 3 different part time,minimum wage jobs because she could always quit one and find another,bragged about how no boss would ever control her ,but was barely getting by.
The other one was always late,or would just take off and go somewhere on the spur of the moment without telling me,and couldn't imagine why that would irk me,even though that was the reason her previous boyfriends broke up with her..
If women promote themselves as free spirits then what are the positives that make them want to use this phrase?

To me..."free-spirited" is a description like "smart","good-looking" or "funny"...
It's something that somebody ELSE needs to describe you as to have any validity...
My favorite is a woman that describe herself as "free-spirited"..yet after reading her profile has explicit age,racial and financial requirements for their potential "mate"...
I guess the "spirit" only has limited freedom....
 Artistee
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2007 11:03:18 PM

Actually it can, in some cases...It depends upon the individual...
 tnpir40024979
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/26/2011 3:30:49 PM
Let me try to bring some clarity to this:

I was recently involved with someone who called themselves a "free spirit," as the adopted big brother figure in her life (her words). Essentially, she was constantly "going with the flow" and just doing whatever she felt like--up to the point where she dumped one girl only to jump into bed (figuratively and literally) with another the very next day. Within two weeks, I was hearing about how awesome this new girl was, and how she was different, and how my "friend" was head over heels for her. Meanwhile, her friendship with me was being sorely neglected.

When I called her on it, she promised she'd do better, twice--only to admit to me later that that promise was hollow because she had someone new in her life. Then, after I had held her hand through three breakups and was basically a true and adult friend (I'm 26, she 21), when I was in need, she simply left me hanging.

What's more galling to me is this: the day of her 21st birthday, not only did I take her out for lunch, but that night I also took her to dinner, and in the process (at her request), I got her together with her ex, and got the two of them back on speaking terms. That was a Monday. Then, Wednesday night, I asked to see her the next day because there was something important I needed to talk to her about, she excused herself from what I wanted because "I hung out with him twice on Monday."

Then, she decided she didn't want to be friends anymore, because she said she didn't think she could meet my standards ("not even close"), and that thinking about it stressed her out. She also said she knew I would never support her latest relationship, nor would I support her lifestyle.

In short, she's very outgoing and easy to get along with, but when it came right down to it, she was better at accepting the help and goodwill of others than she was at reciprocating. A free spirit will tell you what you want to hear, they'll make promises, but in the end their word is worth nothing--they'll do whatever they darn well please, regardless of the impact their actions have on others. She promised me I could count on her and that when I needed her she'd be there, but when the time came that promise was worthless.

The point is, dear readers, if you sense that someone's a free spirit, don't trust them, don't depend on them, don't even become involved with them. Ultimately, they'll let you down and won't be worth the effort.
 tnpir40024979
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/26/2011 3:31:48 PM
(In short, yes..."free spirit" does indeed mean "highly irresponsible," along with "grossly undependable.")
 DoubleParked
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/26/2011 4:21:43 PM
Free spirit does not necessarily mean irresponsible. It could just mean that we free spirits don't care to be responsible for others. We take care of our own business and do what we please. Not all of us have family ties and obligations. Or maybe we had them in the past and did the responsible things and are now in a different stage of life and can AFFORD to be FREE SPIRITS.
 tnpir40024979
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/26/2011 4:48:10 PM
The lack of responsibility to others is indeed the very definition of irresponsibility.

I'm extremely loyal to those I call "friend" and would sooner eat Brussels sprouts (which I utterly despise!) than make a promise I had no intention of keeping, especially if I was making it to someone who was in need.

I'm sorry, but anyone who would do something like that is irresponsible. Plain and simple.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Does "free spirit mean irresponsible?