Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 45
Best place to meet some one other then the InternetPage 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

meeting someone in life usually happens when ur least expecting it, that can be just about anywhere u go in ur everyday life, the car park, supermarket, work, even in your home area, someone u never even thought about before etc. i actually think the more u look the less you find!!!!!!!!!

Exactly...just be happy, enjoy life, do things that you want to do, and you'll meet people without trying. There are people almost everywhere you'd go in the course of a day. If you see one you like, say something. Pretty simple.

LAME!!

Well, see that's probably why you're still single....you come up with excuses not to date anyone. And you "Friendzone" them.

I bet just about every single one of those guys in the gym want to ...well..do whatever with ya. ..

Wow, someone struck a nerve...how did what she say even begin to insult you or reference you in any way? You had a pretty strong reaction to that. People being "friendzoned"? Perhaps they are ok with being friends too, you really don't know what goes on at her gym.

First of all, going to the gym doesn't guarantee you'll see something you like. And secondly, you DO know most people actually go to the gym to....well, work out? I've been going to my gym for a few years, and to be honest, I don't see a lot of guys I have any attraction to. Sure, people are in better shape, and more health conscious, and there are some great bodies there, but not many guy I'd date.

Even if you do see someone you like, it's not wise to start bothering them in the middle of a routine. Most are there to do what they have to do and get out.

If you're single because you choose to be, then why are you on a dating site, when you could date any of those "Sweet and kindhearted" right there at the gym? Grab a bite after a work out?

If she's single because she chooses to be, then she doesn't want to date anyone anywhere - online OR at the gym. All part of wanting to stay single. Hate to point out the obvious.

And yes, those of us who are single by choice do have dating issues - we don't want to have to deal with tolerating the schedule and esteem status of another person in order to date, usually. I'd date if I actually met someone who I like enough to want to fit into my life, but until I do there's really no point. Single is better.

I really think it wakes some guys up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat to know that there are women out there who could date easily but just choose not to. For so long women were all thought to be trying to find someone to complete us. The concept that we have dating options we don't choose to use is just foreign to most guys I guess (tho some men agree and actually do the same themselves). Well, guys, get used to it!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 46
Best place to meet some one other then the Internet
Posted: 12/23/2007 12:05:41 PM

I need to start giving out little kittens with a bow on it, and deliver it in a basket for some women...and label it, "Here's your new Cat lady kit".

How cats got such a bad rep is beyond me, but at least cats give you space once in awhile, and don't demand as much attention as dogs (and some men) do. But this isn't about pets, this is about women who are fine with being single.

And these women wonder why they are still single...oh, but they are "Single and looking" on a website...go figure
Talk about a contradiction.

What women wonder why they're still single, the ones that are single by choice? Not really. We know why we are - and get this - we're fine with it!

You ever even been asked out by a man in your gym at all, and if you do, what do yo usay to them?

Like I said already, I am not really into a majority of the men at my gym. If they can get me away from the ipod and magazine/book and not on a cardio machine, they're welcome to try, but typically I'd rather talk to them if I have any interest. It works better for me.

You said she's single becuase she chooses to be? ither ONLINE or at the gym umm she's on here, right? (POF that is)

No, SHE said she was single by choice - I guess you missed it. I just repeated it.

I don't bother people in the middle of a routinen, but I have talked with people at the gym between rou tines. I know how to be polite, and when's the right time to do things. ie getting a drink a water at the fountain...cooling off at the front desk...or just casually shooting the breeze after a work out.

Yeah me too - if I see something I like, but mostly the workout is the main reason to be there, and meeting someone you like is just a backdrop (just like most places we go).

I have seen peopel conversing while using the treadmills aside each other.

Yes, me too - mostly people that show up together, or know each other. The majority of people at my gym wear ipods, so they can't talk to anyone.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/23/2007 12:25:01 PM

It's unfortunate that people actually prefer to be anti-social these days. (non-social that is) and unfriendly.

Remember the days when people actually did NOT have a problem with you saying hello to them.

It's not only the gym though..its everywhere I heard women say things like, if they are at a store, bookstore, or whatever....that they are "in there and want to get out of there"

They dont want some guy talking to them in the grocery store line

Women have made themselves so unapproachable these days, it's pretty bad now....this is not only exclusive to the gym though.

We all still say hello at the gym, instructors, patrons, people walking in or out of locker rooms and classes and to and from the parking lot, but a majority of us want to just get to the routines and get done. Personally, once I am motivated to work out, chatting will just kill my zone...and when I am done working out and 600 calories in, I am really just too skanky to feel like being social.

But anywhere else I go is different. I like to take my time and browse places I go to, and relax in restaurants and all that so I do chat a lot with people - to me it has nothing to do with romance.

As I posted in another thread tho its hard to chat with men as a woman without fear of them taking it wrong and not enjoying it as general conversation so we only tend to talk to men we're into. It's conditioning but it's the way it is...
 WhereForArtThou
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/23/2007 7:12:59 PM
Best place to meet some one other then the Internet? How about lecture series events at local universities and schools?? I go to those a lot, and I meet some really great people that way!!

becca210
Msg: 51
Posted: 12/23/2007 8:43:28 PM
Seems some of the best opportunities for meeting new people is when I'm on a date...what's up with that?
I've taken bridge classes, cooking classes.....any thing of personal interest and met nice people. I'm in a college town...and there is always something going on.....one being the Texas Hold Em games..they are all over ...at bars, restaurants...all kinds of places and they attract all ages...not just the college kids.
I think a smile and a good attitude opens all sorts of doors!
One other place I've struck up good conversations with strangers is the wine store.
Ask other peoples opinions or suggestions.......good opportunities.
Becca
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 52
Posted: 12/26/2007 5:03:48 AM

And, it will come to pass, sooner or later, that women DO say, at one point sooner later, "Why can't I meet a nice guy" or "decent guy" or whatever. Because they are always passing them up...not giving them a shot...probably becuase they are not over 6 feet tall, or are balding or just too "average" looking in appearance. There's a theory that 80% of single women only persue 20% of the single men.

Some women actually realize that we may not find what does it for us, and are more than prepared to be single for life, and we're fine with that. It might make a few men feel better to say we'll complain about it someday, but a lot of us like our single lives, and we're used to em. There isn't really a deadline on finding a man, it's totally optional for a lot of women to do so - nice but not a necessity, sort of like a fireplace or an inground pool; we'll enjoy it if it's there, but if it's not, we're not up at night thinking it's missing.

I go to singles parties or gatherings, and it's funn y, because most of the guys there are under 6 feet tall, not really "Hunks", doughy physique (non-muscular), etc....and alot of women take a look around, and are typically the ones to leave early or never come back, because theyd idn't like the selection of men there.

I never REALLY got the singles party thing, sort of like a nightclub or party atmosphere but with a different mindset...to me it always seemed forced. I DJ'd many of them over the years, and there's a certain vibe about parties to me that makes it feel like more of a meat market than a basic nightclub. People trying too hard or something. If you're there to just be around other singles, than fine - but a lot go there expecting to pair off...just not a good mindset to me. It should be a natural thing, not an expectation or something you try to make happen.

Expectation IS the mother of dissapointment. People need to learn to relax and just meet people in the course of their everyday lives. It's hard to balance not expecting anything with being open to new opportunities, but if you can master it, not a lot really bothers you.
 justme1124
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Best place to meet some one other then the internet
Posted: 12/26/2007 5:53:51 AM
I'm not a fan of bars either unless she's right beside me,I'll smile and say hi.I think joining something intereactive is the KEY,I'd stay away from anything static where your just sitting ,like classes or lectures,anything with chairs sucks,lol.you can't beat dance classes,once I took ballroom dance,the instructor told us to "look your partner in the eye"while we danced,that was a little uncomfortable,lol but the hand contact at times was interesting,the women in the class would size up the men to see who they were interested in,was kind of fun,there was this one hot babe in the class ,well,I won't go there,lol,chow
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/26/2007 6:21:15 AM
Guess ya dont lkke the POF parties eh?

Unless I was getting paid to go as staff, there would be no point, same as the singles parties I worked at in the past. There are no POF parties that I know of in my area, just reminds me of those coffee meets AOLers used to do in the 90s. People that aren't inherently social but all want to get out of the house because they hate being alone. LOL

some are kayaking hiking, camping, etc.

I'd probably be more open to events where there's some other purpose in mind, such as fitness, dance classes, cooking, whatever and the backdrop is that all are single...I'm more likely to focus on the activity than the participants primarily.
 OutMind
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/26/2007 8:04:04 AM

A friend of mine suggested Home Depot for us ladies! lol

Just be careful, that guy is not drooling over you, but the power tools you're about to buy. Hehehe.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/26/2007 8:07:43 AM

A friend of mine suggested Home Depot for us ladies! lol

She said pick a crowded aisle and keep a very perplexed look on your face.... hahahha she said they will come!

Very true - I like to approach and ask the ones I like tho - looking confused will bring way more than I need over, and then it's a weeding out process. I've had that happen when I wasn't confused, lol. Just walk down an aisle that you see a man in you like, and then look at the product perplexed when near HIM...if nothing happens you can always pick two things up and excuse yourself and ask what the difference is between them or whatever.

True...but chances are...you're sizing the bachelors up, right? *wink*

Anywhere I go and see a cute guy I like, I'll size him up - that's the thing, there's no "designated" place for that, it's just an everyday thing (when I see something I like). So for something like that, I'd actually like to do something productive since I run into a ton of males in my regular daily travels.

As I do with the ladies in such groups (single groups or not). I'm always on "Checkin them out" mode as a single man...its just instinct with singles....unless your dead. LOL

I'm SINGLE, not DEAD!

Absolutely.
 fancynanci
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2008 10:05:26 AM
Everywhere. If you like the way someone looks, just start talking to them.
 carpemd
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2008 10:12:12 AM
Planned Parenthood Center
 studplayrico
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2008 10:16:01 AM
Maybe church, but usually when you don't have that obvious look of desperation, that's when you find someone great. Haven't you noticed that when you have someone other ladies start noticing you?
 1630 mike
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2008 10:24:59 AM
For those of you who live near coastal area's, common sense is------THE BEACH........ this has always been and will always be my number one place. The computer is too tough, but it is fun and sometimes interesting.
On the beach you both see what each other looks like. Almost anyone can look good in a dress!!!!!!! or a suit and tie!!!!!!!
 NorseViking869
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/10/2008 10:13:23 AM
For me it is concerts. You know you have the same interests or can put up with eachother. There is comrodery and unity. You can make a alot of friends for life and a potential mate.
 naeco
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/10/2008 10:16:27 AM

Planned Parenthood Center

That was too funny! At least you know they are getting tested, birthcontrol etc.

That's great if you're looking to hook up with a 14 year old.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:32:48 PM

I sometimes work a night shift and will stop at a walmart on my way home to avoid the crowds,Both the women shopping there and the few that are working are flat out scary looking,I'll take my chances on the internet.

LMAO. Hey, she might've been the executive vice president in charge of greeting cards. Give her a break.

Seriously though, I think one of the best ways is to get involved in activities that you love doing. If you meet a woman there, you're already ahead of the game by having similar interests. So the question becomes, what do you love doing? Go get 'em.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:50:21 PM

I am a "bookstore whore"...not in that I have sex with random strangers there, just that I am there VERY often. Its usually brimming with cutish men....I have yet to meet one there :(

Well get to it! What are you waiting for?

Seriously though, I think one of the best ways is to get involved in activities that you love doing. If you meet a woman there, you're already ahead of the game by having similar interests. So the question becomes, what do you love doing? Go get 'em.

Absolutely! Bonus is you're doing something you love or learning something you're interested in AND you have an in on talking to people because you have to interact in an intimate setting...
 4408joseph
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:59:08 PM
Ummmm, your local Parole Office..

I recommend someone that has a good number of years...

This way you can keep the chain short, as for stardard conditions #4 and # 6

Abstain fom drugs, and remain employed, respectfully..

PLUS, a background check is as quick as a 2 minute phone call to their P.O.

Oh, make sure in first contact that they didn't switch "TEAMS" while they was in the big house!
 seekerof
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/23/2008 10:33:51 PM
Speed dating events
Apple Store/Best Buy/Circuit City
Supermarkets
Bookstores
Coffee houses
Outside the restrooms, especially at concerts
Dog park/pet stores
Public Transportation
Arts/Crafts stores (where the women are)
Hardware stores (where the men are)
 ripley65
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/24/2008 6:14:17 AM
In the summer, i spend a lot of time out in my yard. So if you/someone was out walking the dog, stop and say 'hello',,,strike up a conversation.

Parks. We have a beautiful river front park here that alot of single women go to to read, or get a tan, watch the boats, eat lunch,,etc....

Your local Arts n Crafts shows. We have those in the summer and it seems lots of women like to wander around and check that stuff out.

Bike trails. You eventually start getting used to seeing the same ppl and at the same time on these trails. Good way to strike up a conver with a woman.

Believe it or not, some women enroll in auto mechanic classes to meet men! You could enroll and meet those women! lolol

If you are into books (i am), your local library might be a good place to meet someone.

Garage sales.

Heck,the list is endless! Just use your imagination!

eantonio
Msg: 79
Posted: 11/7/2008 10:10:35 AM
My Mom keeps telling me to go to church. My collegues tell me the produce section of the grocery store.
 ryansmsk
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/8/2008 4:52:45 PM
when at college i met a surprisingly large number of attractive girls in the library on a regular basis . so that might be one place i'd recomend .

also is others like the mall , grocery store , those types of public places .

special events or street festivals also provide oppurtunities to appraoch or meet new people fairly easily if thats your thing .
 DavidS877
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/8/2008 10:13:52 PM
Personally I stick to trying to meet women only in places they've gone to be met rather than a place they have to go as part of their daily/weekly routine. I stick to bars, clubs, parties, sometimes coffee shops and places like that. Well, I would if I ever left the house.
 idezine58
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/12/2008 8:57:44 PM
Believe it or not I have been hit on many times while in the Divorce section at my local bookstore.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >