Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 internalastronaut
Msg: 218
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH COUNTRY MUSIC?Page 3 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
Some of us musicians work day jobs that we like so that we can make music that we love.

I'd like also to comment about "what the public wants". That's a tricky notion. I think what people want as far as music is generally shaped by the options presented to them. Traditionally, that is done by radio. And we all know that what is on the radio is not determined by the outcry of the public. Present fashion is dictated by the people who make and sell things.

Thanks to the affordability of exceptional digital sound quality and the wonderful internet, guys like me can produce our own music and market it on the web. We can then go out play the kind of gigs we want to support it.

I'm a graphic designer/artist by day and the "industry" determines what kind of art I create. That's what happens when you work for somebody. That's a deal with the devil I made so that I could make a living as a designer. I chose not to make that deal when it comes to my music, so, I work a day job. And for now that's okay.
 mmjt2595
Msg: 223
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH COUNTRY MUSIC?
Posted: 12/22/2006 10:18:49 AM
here in NH its not odd to hear country singers/songs on the non-country stations. And you hear people say "Oh, I like this song" and dont realize its considered country. But I listen to it now, when a few years ago I was saying I hated country music as well. People are just associating Country to hillbillies, chewing straw and driving old Ford pickups with a rebel flag in the rear window. Give it a fair chance and alot of people will be converted.
 Raveninns
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2007 3:57:15 PM
I have never liked country music, it feels boring. I have never liked Japanese music either. I don't care much for jazz either.

There is no "problem with country music", I just don't care for it. Not my cup of tea.

It all boils down to personal tastes doesn't it? I fell in love with soul when I was a small child. This progressed into rock when I was a teenager. I grew up on early rock and roll, big band and classical. That's all my parents listened to. My tastes grew from there.

However, if James Gang is considered country, colour me in. Same as Eagles, Molly Hatchett, CSNY. About as country as I get....

Cheers, Raven
 LittleMissScareAll
Msg: 233
Posted: 2/9/2007 1:33:58 PM
I just dont like the way it sounds...it bugs me...makes me wanna rip my hair out if I have to sit there and listen to it for a long period of time(which I did have to at work sometimes, ugh...one of the worst things about living in Kentucky. lol). So does rap. If other people like it though, I have no problem with that. I don't care. Just as long as I'm not forced to listen to it.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 238
Posted: 3/7/2007 10:35:53 PM
my parents were born in the 1920's so their music was real old country.. and i grew up on it

didnt even hear rock until i decided to change the radio station at age 7, after that i went from watching Dolly Parton's Butterfly to ****Clark's American Bandstand

today's country? .. (shrugs shoulders) just another song
 themadfiddler
Msg: 239
Posted: 3/8/2007 12:33:11 AM

my parents were born in the 1920's so their music was real old country.. and i grew up on it

There you have it...you were dang lucky!

I have been teaching fiddle to some students and bluegrass and country specifically lately so we cover the origins of country style fiddling...this takes us from old-time music to the roots of country.

One of the musicians to represent this tradition was Charlie Poole. I was listening to him do "Frankie and Johnny" from 1929...probably 30 years before Johnny Cash would record his version...virtually unchanged but very sparse and with a driving rhythm.

The songs were about drinkin', workin', lovin', fightin' and when you depart from that and start to overproduce it, it starts to sound like pop music...case in point, just about anything by Shania Twain/Mutt Lange...and a lot of other Nashville crap from people more pretty, less talented and propped up by ProTools.

My personal pet peeve...country musicians from Canada who affect a Nashville drawl when they sing. KNOCK THAT THE HELL OFF! As the Cajun/Zydeco musician Clifton Chenier said, "Be what you is...if you old and ugly, be old and ugly but be what you is."

There's nothing wrong with original stories but country music is about country people and is essentially "story songs" about good times and bad times...it can be electrified but if it doesn't have some country instrumentation of some kind, be it fiddle, banjo, dobro, steel guitar, harmonica or a honky-tonk piano...well then it just ain't country...I reckon.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 244
Posted: 3/9/2007 9:53:36 AM
umm... lessee what names i remember from the old floor model record playing stereo with a built in 8 track;

dolly parton
george jones
chet akins
roy acuff
jimmy rogers
marty robbins
boxcar willie
gene autry
bill monroe
the stanley brothers
kenny rogers
waylon jennings
jim reeves
pasty cline
tammy wynette
lynn anderson
kitty wells
loretta lynn
merle haggard
buck owens

anyone remember those names ?
 themadfiddler
Msg: 247
Posted: 3/10/2007 7:49:09 PM
Has anyone heard the new song Moments by Emerson Drive, OMG great song and video, give it a listen

I hate to come off as negative...I know how being a "hater" rankles some people (LOL) but I gots to tell it like it is and say that this band, while maybe starting with good intentions, is now part of the problem with country music...overwhelmed by the Nashvile (spelling intentional) production machine, they now produce the same pop dreck that anyone could produce...

Cardboard cutout, content free, crap. Any monkey could do it...they have been for decades on Tin Pan Alley. You put it in a box and sell it and people will buy it. The death knell for me was when they changed their name from 12 Gauge, a perfectly fine country sounding name, to Emerson Drive...a name that is bland and had cache to only one member of the band who is no longer with them...and that change purely as a knee-jerk reaction to the Columbine shooting...or so the urban legend goes.

In any case, the sound is about as country as pop. Change the arrangements a touch and it could be power pop. What is so country about this music???

That's why I have such an attachment to the twang that some people find distasteful...the essential unmarketable nature of true "country" music that is not "cross" marketable music...that smells like hay, fenceposts and horse-shit.

And that is what is so irritating to me about music like Emerson Drive is that is so generic. A slight re-arrangement of the music and WHAM! or A-Ha! could do it. There may be the odd stand out...but few and far between...

Stuff like this...music that is afraid of what people will say...that's what's wrong with country music. Man I do miss people like Charlie Poole who would lip off his audience, bash a banjo over a cop's head, and be a legend in his own time for playing what he wanted to play and to hell with the market place and still be famous...original outlaw country! Not prepackaged wussy, pretty boy Nashville country...Give me Grandpa Jones, Uncle Dave Macon, Loretta Lynn, Dolly, Hank Sr. and Jr, Johnny Cash, Waylon and Willie, and Don Williams, Goerge Jones, Merle Haggard (amen to anyone on Whitetigress' list) and from the new batch even someone like Gretchen Wilson before an act like Emerson Drive...
That stuff is, IMHO, the weak pablum of country music...

Keep in mind, all of the above is all my opinion and in no way intended as a personal slag or attack, nor was it intended as such, nor as an assault on the taste of any poster...just on "Nash-vile" and it's pop-country-production machine.

Brought to you by the Committee for Songs about Drinkin' Fightin' Fornicatin...maybe Fishin...
 themadfiddler
Msg: 249
Posted: 3/10/2007 10:58:17 PM

I guess thats whats so nice about the forums we can disagree because themadfiddler I so disagree. lighten up a little its music supposed to make you feel good.

Yup. Ain't nuthin' wrong with that I suppose, and even if we disagree I'll still ask you for the pleasure of the next two step
 67winter67
Msg: 251
Posted: 3/22/2007 2:42:04 PM
I like the country music sound a lot, in general.
Some of the lyrics I like a lot and tell a neat story.
I have lived in the country all my life, so I can relate to
country-ish stories.
In general, I like about every other song on the radio,
so I am constantly turning it off and on if I am driving.
Or constantly changing the station if at home and
playing my clarinet to the music.
 spunky101
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2007 4:59:15 AM
UUHHGG country music please don't get me started, I'm a total Alternative/pure rock/80's and 60's guy.. No country music at all for me, even if some people here think that country music of today has some rock or whatever, I really really disagree with that..
 rlwyld1
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2007 4:16:17 AM
Like Barbara sang, I was country when Country wasn't cool and still wearing my hat, boots and jeans. Until I was ten or so the only rock I had ever heard was Elvis and the rest of my mom's old 45s and LPs. Since then I have become a fan of pretty much all types of music including 80s Glam Rock, Punk, Opera and even some rap. I have spent most of my twenties working around music and was opened up to even more types, but my Heart has always been tied to country Music.

Unfortunately Country has always had a bad rap just like a lot of other things from the South. Folks that don't know will never understand and it is simple as that. Anyone that says they can't stand country 9 times out of 10 has never listened to Country. As has already been said there is something for everyone. Even if you mostly love Rap or Alt Rock there are probably a few songs out there for you.

Country music is probably the most diverse type of music there is. Thank god there are still a few Rednecks(not a name to be ashamed of despite what some folks think) and Cowboys around, but they probably make up 1% of Today's Country.

We have some of the most beautiful women with some of the most amazing voices in Music today, Faith Martina and Shania just to name a few. We have had doctors give up their practice to follow their music. For those that don't believe that one look up Cleve Francis. He wasn't round long and I am sure a few will be surprised thinking he is a Real redneck.

There have been some amazing bands and artists as well as some annoying gimmicks. We will probably never live down Billy Ray's Mullet and Achy Breaky Heart and in 10 years I am sure folks will say the same about Cowboy Troy, 3 foot Fred and the Musik Mafia.

Some folks will always say they hate country even if half of their Cd collection, Tapes or MP3s came out of Nashville. While it has changed and not all for the better whether it is Hank, Waylon, Willie and the Rest of the Outlaws or Trace, Big & Rich the
 BRASS
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2007 2:45:20 PM
I resided in North Dakota and Texas for years, and I've heard all types of music: from classical to gamillon, and rock to the blues I kind of like Western type music, but Country & Western can be plain depressing, just like the blues. He done her wrong, She done him wrong, They're doing it wrong, Somebodies getting drunk, moms going to prison, the dog got hit by a pickup truck in the rain........
If life were this bad the only thing to do is eat a bullet.
 techgirl27
Msg: 277
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2007 12:09:01 PM
I loooooooooove Alan Jackson! His music is awesome!
Those nay sayers, have you ever heard Chatahoochie? That will get yo' foot tappin'!

He has a fabulous band too... that pianist...steel guitar ...man oh man.

The rock and pop folks sing about losing their girlfriends too, not just country.
 dds4u2c
Msg: 283
Posted: 5/27/2007 4:58:17 AM
i love country music ,i even live in the country music capital i think there is much more talent in country
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 288
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2007 12:04:40 AM
Country music styles are blended in modern day rock and roll, and progressive rock music. Me I liked Waylon Jennings, Dixie Chicks, and Johnny Cash to the modern day country players. Im open minded with music for the most part.
 BDRT
Msg: 294
Posted: 8/9/2007 9:01:15 PM
I love country music. Of course, as in all music, there is good and bad. I have listened to it my whole life, and that's saying something, since I grew up in California in the 70's! I do enjoy other types of music as well.
For those who say traditional country is dead, try listening to Josh Turner or Dierks Bentley. There are a few others too.
I say to each his own, but I'm not going to put anyone down for the music they listen too. I don't want to be forced to listen to something I really don't care for, so having similar tastes in music or at least the ability to compromise on what is listened to would be a good thing.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 296
Posted: 8/13/2007 4:58:35 AM
I like country music because much of it tells a story, I agree I liked it better 20 years ago, and much of todays country is just pop with a twang. I wish that most of the bars would play it so that you could hear it instead of play it so loud you feel the base and the rest is noise that hurts the ears. Nothing nicer than dancing a country waltz on a dance floor with room to roam.

So to answer the question "What's wrong?" It's the same thing that wrong with most of society, it's driven mostly by dollars and not by the heart. There are still a few musicians that play from the heart but they are the ones you find on the back stages of the festivals or hear playing the band shells in the local arts in the park thing. They aren't the ones that everybody knows as COUNTRY but they are the true country music. Momma don't have to get run over by a train while walkin home from the jail, That's not country, but that's what many people think and hate. I think you'll have a much harder time finding people to not like a beautiful country waltz, tripple or two step about a young girls lost love, sung by an beautiful voice with an extrordinay musical range, accompanied by just a piano or guitar, maybe with a fiddle, banjo or mandolin thrown in. Many won't admit to liking it but you find them tapping their toes or fingers and swaying to the beat. That's country.

"If that's not country, ya can kiss my as.s" LOL
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 298
Posted: 6/20/2008 1:15:14 PM
In the words of Barbara Mandrell, I was country when country wasn't cool... I will always be country because it's far more than a cowboy hat or a guitar. It's a way of life!

My father and mother were both country musicians. Their jam sessions were the best times of my childhood. Bucky Owens, Waylon Jennings, Loretta Lynn, Don Gibson... all the old country was the stuff of my childhood. They sang about family values and a time when loving someone really was the best thing that could happen to us and breaking up with them the worst... (It's been so lonesome in the saddle since my horse died... ). Cheaters were taboo... "Your Cheatin' Heart" and boozers were bein' told, "Don't Come Home A-Drinkin' With Lovin' On Your Mind". The "other woman" was told, "You Ain't Woman Enough To Take My Man". Divorce made people cry, life and death were something we cherished and little kids even got recognition along with the animals.

I love today's country rock even more... Trace Adkins "You're Gonna Miss This", Montgomery Gentry's "Hell Yeah" and George Straight's "I Saw God Today"... There's such a variety right down to Toby Keith's endless bars & women songs...

I think that the original ladies of country actually had to rely on their talents whereas today's ladies seem to be relying on their physical attributes being "out there" but hell yeah... Country is forever...
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 300
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2008 3:10:14 PM
It's scope is way too limited---- I got drunk at the honky tonk, cheated on my wife, now I'm puttin' a mailbox on my doghouse cause that's where I live, she don't love me no more, then the next is about the girl who is the greatest thing that ever happened to him, he got drunk again, cheated again, lost the girl, met the new greatest one. Just insipid!!!!

Country music insults a person's intelliegence on so many levels it isn't funny.

I did have a great idea for a country song with more urban lyrics though:

"She was a dope little filly...her dress was kinda frilly, but she wouldn't gimme no play.
Her duds were really fresh, and made in Bangladesh, and I guess she kinda liked it that way.
Oh yes she was a skeezer, I don't think no man could please her, maybe she is a tad bit gay
I took her to my crib, but she is too women's lib, and this homey wasn't havin' his day."
 rhodes73
Msg: 303
Posted: 6/21/2008 4:07:15 PM
well if your talking about current country the problem to me is that it is not country at all.....it's bubblegum pop. just like the stuff that they call punk today....it's pop. country started to get deluted in the big folk craze of the 50s. most of the stuff after the 60s is not really country to me. i defietly like me some early george jones and merl haggert but i think it is that genaration of musicians who really paved the way for the current so called country.
 Wolfblood
Msg: 306
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 1:40:59 PM
I love country, but not pop country!

The reason why I hate mainstream country because its TOO POP!!

I can't stand Alan Jackson (corny 9/11 singer), Toby Keith, and the rest of those music row sell outs!!

I love more legendary and lesser known/underground country artists like Hank III, Unknown Hinson, Wayne Hancock, Bob Wayne, Johnny Cash, Merle Hagard, Waylon Jennings, David Alan Coe, and J.B. Beverley because they keep it old school and true!

Just check out Hank III's lyrics
"So I'm here to put the "d**k" in Dixie
and the "c*nt" back in country
'Cause the kind of country I hear now days
is a bunch of f****in' s**t to me
They say that I'm ill-mannered
that I'm gonna self-destruct
But if you know what I'm thinkin'
you'll know that pop country really sucks"

You are never going to see those lyrics in an Alan Jackson song.
 Smilingly
Msg: 307
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 2:29:22 PM
He he, I like some of today's country & even 'pop' country too :) tongue-in-cheek :)

Heck, I even write some :) lol

I was deeply prejudiced against country when I was in high school & all that was 'in' to listen was Jim Morrison & grunge & such :) /lol That makes me feel old! :)/ But then I learnt better :)

There's some awesome country music out there, old & new... with fun & empowering messages too...
True, not all of it is 'gold' but one has to sift through some stuff sometimes to find unexpected gems...

As for singers singing 'original' material... Well... I'm really glad there's people who do not write their own songs cause that gives a niche (& perhaps big royalties, he he!) to all the songwriters out there!! Not everyone wants to expose themselves as a singer, but they may write amazing lyrics &/or music!!
 rebel777
Msg: 309
Posted: 6/30/2008 6:53:21 PM
I find alot of country music boring...and very easy to play,just not my thing..ain't nothing wrong with ya if you enjoy it...
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >