Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lario
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Clean shaven = trustworthy?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Any one reckon that Gillette, on whom behalf the survey was made, wanted to sell a few razors here?

Let's say the survey was right. Would the degree of facial hair correspond to the degree of "un-trustworthyness". I've got a soul patch so would that mean I'm mostly trustworthy?
 OutMind
Msg: 89
Clean shaven = trustworthy?
Posted: 12/24/2007 4:46:49 PM

.but i wouldn't trust a woman with a beard.

What if she actually shaved?

Hehehehe
 techgirl27
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2007 9:42:54 PM
Trustworthy or not (this you really dont know til you meet them anyway) - I know which one I prefer to cuddle up against and touch, and it isnt steel wool.
 Pandy
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/25/2007 9:43:55 AM
I'd say that since Gillette has a stake in the outcome of this survey, that it cannot be trusted as accurate. How do we know this isn't the 6th time they've done this survey to get these results?

Take things like this with a grain of salt guys, and look the way that makes you feel most comfortable.
 faithnoman
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/25/2007 9:48:19 AM
To the OP:

Get a life.
 faithnoman
Msg: 95
Posted: 12/25/2007 10:01:37 AM
George Bush is clean shaven.

Dick Chaney is clean shaven.
 faithnoman
Msg: 96
Posted: 12/25/2007 10:05:24 AM
oops, misspelled****s last name, Cheney.
 Ron-burgendy
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/26/2007 10:10:16 AM
It sure doesnt make me think! I have some facial hair because I like looking my age, also its a good insulator in the winter! If girls dont like my facial hair, screw em, cause i dont like theirs either!
 theforumfiend
Msg: 102
Posted: 12/27/2007 1:46:00 PM
The OP merely brought up an article for discussion. Just give opinions or attack the article, but stop trying to shot the messenger please.

Personally, I love the look of a clean-shaven face. This does not mean that I don't date men with facial hair or expect them to shave. That is unless your beard is like one man I know. His beard is very thin. Instead of keeping it trimmed so that it looks fuller he lets it get long then pushes it up so that he has this funny lump under his chin. Yeah, fools me…
 Passinthru
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/6/2008 8:25:40 AM

M3Power said that almost half of the 500 women

ALMOST half?

Doesn't sound like a majority to me why does it to everyone else?
 themadfiddler
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/7/2008 12:35:46 PM
I'm hoping the young fellow was just referring to extra or newly forming stubble and not the presence of a beard or moustache itself...

Although...

There are some people (my sister among them) who have been so socially conditioned to regard facial hair of any kind as dirty and unsightly.

What a complete 180 degree switch from before the two world wars when a well kept beard or moustache or sideburns were part of the accoutrements of manhood. The "red scare" of the 50's and any association with Stalin or Lenin in North America would mark a "beardo" as a potential "egg-head" or "commie" and later in the 60's as a "dirty hippie"

As an experiment I began to grow a large handlebar moustache a la Sam Elliot about a year ago and have decided to keep it along with a "dragon's beard" under my lip. I even forumulated some moustache wax from a 19th century recipe to keep it neat and tidy. Nothing but compliments and people wishing they could grow one...except from my sister...LOL.

Of course as a music teacher and musician I suspect I have a bit more leeway as to what is acceptable as a look...but I encourage others to defy that convention because convention by its nature, like fashion and the opinion of razor companies is the collective opinion of fools.
 jadegreen
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2008 9:23:42 AM
A five o'clock shadow looks really nice on some men...
 jadegreen
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2008 9:30:07 AM
To address this topic...I certainly don't think I evaluate the trustworthiness of a person by looks alone...there are many factors in determining a persons trustworthiness...you can be clean shaven and still have "shifty eyes"...some great con-artists can clean up well and look you straight in the eye and lie masterfully....

But in all honesty...pride in your appearance or the practicality of being neat does play a part in first impressions....most untrustworthy person will give their character away somehow...or give out a clue even beyond appearance....this is a flip coin conversation...it can go either way...
 spitfire6844
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2008 9:58:45 AM
The info that the OP posted makes sense. I don't know many women who like guys with beards. The goatee look is better tolerated, but it's a trendy move by guys who want to affect a certain pose. It's fake.

I can see a 20-something guy experimenting with a goatee or a beard; but most established guys who have their shit together are clean-shaven. There's no question about that.
 TallAndDark68123
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2008 10:12:02 AM
I think it is a matter of pure professional dress code. CEO, etc get huge paychecks and bonuses and are willing to do whatever it takes to get to that position. The same can be said of women CEOs because they wear suits and not mini skits.

I would think that if you look the CEO's who have facial hair probably started the companys they are heading.
 lucilou
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 3:54:03 AM
Facial hair has nothing to do with trustworthy, but I still prefers clean shaven face, my skin is so sensitive that facial hair gives me skin rash. To each its own, we all have preference in looking for a relationship. I think they or we should not criticize any one whose preference doesnt suits your liking. If you read something what women wants on thier profile , they are just telling you thier preference, and I think we should honor what they want.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 5:51:58 AM
Someone should probably have told Abraham Lincoln before he ran for President.

Whether or not the beard=trustworthy probably depends on whether they were cleanshaven when they committed the crime or sporting the beard. Easier to run if they had the latter and shaved than the former and had to lie low waiting for that facial hair to grow.

VVVVV Did Neil Bush have a beard?
 SandyB1957
Msg: 126
Posted: 3/22/2008 6:08:57 AM
What about the OLDER women that have facial hair are they trustworty? Just kiddinggggggg
 jadegreen
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2008 6:39:03 AM
With all the hair removal and stuff now and the permanent kind etc...if we don't watch it we will become a "bald " society....
 mthomjmark
Msg: 134
Posted: 4/28/2008 2:22:26 AM
I think your being naive; who paid for the study? Gillette; mmm, having men shave; I wonder if theres a correlation for them wanting men to shave? LOL

Studies can be misleading; always look at who is paying for the study; the people doing the study, and paying for the study are not going to tick eachother off; you dont bite the hand that feeds you so many of these studies can be bogus.
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2008 3:09:18 AM
Col Sanders was very successful and he had a moustache and a goatee. Apparently someone trusted him.
If I knew anything I'd be working...Hey. I am working as a librarian. Oh well.
Leib
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2008 3:13:03 AM
One of the problems with the survey is it assumed and all/none dichotomy. In fact there are degrees of trustworthyness. Thus a person can be 1 to 10 with 1 being an OJ and 10 being a Santa Clause.
Leib
 EagleEric
Msg: 138
Posted: 4/28/2008 10:49:12 AM
I agree. I'll go further. I'd never trust a guy without hair especially one with a shaved skull and certainly not a woman. They should get hair transplants or wigs!

The Eagle
 Love_on_Fire
Msg: 145
OK, you made me look
Posted: 4/29/2008 10:12:59 AM
This thread just like many others just seems so....outrages lol, but what the heck I'll bite. I will be honest, I do tend to tell more white lies when I am clean shaven then when I have a soulpatch on me, but 3 years ago, I was more honest when I was clean shaven, but when I wore the soulpatch facial hair, I noticed I was more unreliable then. Now I notice I am just more honest no matter if I have facial hair or not. At the moment I do have abit of a 5'oclock shadow going on, yet I told the truth in my opinion comment about this thread being outrages, and that IS the truth!!.... so there we go...we learn something new everyday. lol

Also for the gentlemen who said Ted Bundy was clean shaven.....true, but he had long hair to go with that and that I think would have cancelled any integrity and moral ethical standard that he could have had in that sick digusting ugly piece of bullshit mind.

Not being general here or anything, just responding to the Ted Bundy comment.
 SapphirePoet
Msg: 149
view profile
History
OK, you made me look
Posted: 4/30/2008 8:27:39 AM
"now if you had said that a recent study by Massengil stated that of 500 women polled 485 stated that they were attracted to douchebags, I might be more inclined to laugh."

OMG, I almost spit my coffee all over my desk...that was so funny! Thanks.

I am of the MAJORITY of women who like facial hair on most guys. I do prefer it neat and trimmed and soft.
I have to admit some men with long scraggly beards look rather menacing to me.

My ex had a beard that was like a brillo pad so I had "whisker burn" all the time and I hated it. One day he made the mistake of letting me trim it and oooops I made it so crooked he had to shave it off. I was thrilled...I told him it was like copping some strange. He just kept the mustache after that.
:~()
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >